PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Baseball Tonite--Do you still enjoy?

KearnsyEars
04-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Back in the day (whenever that was) this used to be the best show. It was on at the same time every night and at great times, 10 est and 12 est. And they showed highlights of all the games, complete highlights.

Now it is on at different times and they barely show highlights. All it is Harold Reynolds showing me baseball drills that he didn't even do right when he played.

Would love to know your thoughts.

smith288
04-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Baseball Tonight is crap now. Kruk is a moron with bad hair and no neck and all they do is talk about the Red Sox and Yankees.

If they could just go back to showing highlights about each game, I would make more of a habit of either DVRing it or trying to catch it but as of now, I just go to MLB.com and read the stories. THey have top plays videos and all that so I can basically just choose my own highlights show. :D

redsfanmia
04-12-2006, 09:09 AM
I dont really like any show on ESPN anymore, Its just all hype. I used to love Baseball Tonight when they used to cover more teams than just the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Cardinals and Cubs.

StillFunkyB
04-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Back in the day (whenever that was) this used to be the best show. It was on at the same time every night and at great times, 10 est and 12 est. And they showed highlights of all the games, complete highlights.

Now it is on at different times and they barely show highlights. All it is Harold Reynolds showing me baseball drills that he didn't even do right when he played.

Would love to know your thoughts.

Absolutely agree. It's garbage. I don't even know when it's on because they have it at all different times, and they do that stupid Trifecta thing.

Dumb.

We watched BBTN every night to see the "in depth" highlights", not because we wanted to watch HR do "drills" in a suit.

minus5
04-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Can't we dig up Mel Allen and just have TWIB? I miss Mel

KearnsyEars
04-12-2006, 09:12 AM
I really miss the complete box scores on BBTN, I mean you used to be able to watch it and know basically in an hour what every player in MLB did that day if you wanted. Now you get like the 4 or 5 big players, and the score if your lucky. Soemtimes you get the score and a quick highlight with what one player on each team did. Sometimes you get no highlight--with just the 4 or 5 main players outlined.

That said, to have BBTN on at all different hours on ESPN is doing nothing for the viewers. EVERY NIGHT I'd watch at 10, and I'd watch at 12. Having it on for 20 minutes on the trifecta is worthless. I just don't get why they'd change a classic like that! I hate change!

KearnsyEars
04-12-2006, 09:14 AM

TWIB is still classic. I liked how they let different players run it each week after mel died. I remember one saturday Jose Rijo was the host. I think its still a great great show, and I love how they let a claymation Mel Allen with his voice begin and end it. Love watching it on the big screen on saturdays at the ball yard still.

redsfan30
04-12-2006, 09:14 AM
I still like the 10:00 edition, but don't care too much for the 20 minute Trifecta version.

BuckU
04-12-2006, 09:17 AM
I normally can't stand it, but they have been doing quick phone interviews this year, which is pretty cool. Last night they had Arroyo on the line talking about is HR.

Maldez
04-12-2006, 09:23 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the only way to handle Baseball Tonight is to tape it and then watch it with a finger on the FF button. Just way too much of the same old teams (and of course the commercials) to wade through just to get to the 1 minute of Cincy stuff.

KearnsyEars
04-12-2006, 09:26 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the only way to handle Baseball Tonight is to tape it and then watch it with a finger on the FF button. Just way too much of the same old teams (and of course the commercials) to wade through just to get to the 1 minute of Cincy stuff.

omg 1 minute if we're lucky. it's usually 15 seconds. To get a full minute, we usually have to hit 5 or 6 HR and throw a great game like arroyo did yesterday, then we get 45 seconds to a minute. This is why I love the beginning of the season. By the all star break, we won't even be mentioned on BBTN. We'll get as much run time as the Columbus Clippers do

CySeymour
04-12-2006, 09:31 AM

Man, that was my Saturdays when I was a kid...start with TWIB, then watch the game of the week on NBC with Vin Scully and Joe G...good times, good times.

TRF
04-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Kruk is awful. HR is awful. I like Steve Phillips. Good voice, calm presence. Kruk think raising his voice makes his pointmore important, just like my teenage daughter.

Even the Pirates get more respect on BBT than the Reds do. It's a joke.

minus5
04-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Man, that was my Saturdays when I was a kid...start with TWIB, then watch the game of the week on NBC with Vin Scully and Joe G...good times, good times.

"How about that?!" Mel was great. That was my Saturdays too.

NJReds
04-12-2006, 09:38 AM

TWIB and NBC game of the week was huge when I was a kid. It was really the only way for a Reds fan in NY to see some highlights.

As for ESPN. I usually watch ESPN News for highlights over BBT or SportsCenter.

minus5
04-12-2006, 09:40 AM
For the longest time Mell Allen's voice just sounded like summer...well and Marty too.

Gainesville Red
04-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Baseball Tonight is bad and getting worse. Not that I liked it last year, but last year at least they showed the homeruns, even though that was all they showed. Now they occasionally don't even show that. It's just blah, blah, blah, Yankee's beat the Redsox, Duke beat Carolina, Randy Johnson pitched okay, Johnny Damon made a diving catch.
Last year I was mad because at times there were more important things that happened in a game than the homerun they showed. This year, I feel like at least last year they showed some homeruns. ESPN as a whole is pretty bad these days.

BRM
04-12-2006, 09:48 AM
I used to love watching Baseball Tonight but not so much anymore. Kruk is becoming painful to listen to these days. Like NJReds said, you are probably better off watching ESPN News for highlights.

Yachtzee
04-12-2006, 09:50 AM

My Saturdays too, but with Johnny Bench and the Baseball Bunch on right before TWIB. I still think of TWIB whenever I hear that violin piece they always played at the end. As a kid living just south of Cleveland, the Baseball Bunch, TWIB, and NBC Game of the Week were my only opportunities to see the Reds on TV.

kbrake
04-12-2006, 10:07 AM
The Trifecta is the worst thing to ever happen to Baseball Tonight. It has completely gutted the show of highlights and now it seems like only once in a great while do actually get to see a full hour show. I like HR but could do without the drills, I also like Steve Phillips and like TRF said Kruk just yells because he thinks it makes him come across as though or something.

minus5
04-12-2006, 10:12 AM
My Saturdays too, but with Johnny Bench and the Baseball Bunch on right before TWIB.

Man! I almost forgot about the Baseball Bunch! I used to watch that too.

indyred
04-12-2006, 10:13 AM
ESPN think it's a regular network progam........it's original programing is pretty lame.......it's funny how they forget what got the to them popular........let's just butcher the shows that made us good and try and come up with our own new programs......they have really gotten mtv like.......

Roy Tucker
04-12-2006, 10:16 AM
I another one in the ESPN News camp.

The big city team bias on BBTN is kinda silly. Like last night, they showed Johnny Damon getting introduced at Yankee Stadium while never showing EE's grand slam.

And they must have replayed Arroyo's opening day and yesterday's HRs about 50 times. I'm convinced they did because he used to pitch for the Red Sox. If it had been someone like Claussen, it would have barely made the highlights once.

dougdirt
04-12-2006, 10:30 AM
I agree Roy, they spent the first 5-10 minutes talking about the Yankees and Red Sox but couldnt even show a grand slam? What was up with showing Dunn's real short home run but not the one he hit that probably went 450?

BRM
04-12-2006, 10:33 AM
I agree Roy, they spent the first 5-10 minutes talking about the Yankees and Red Sox but couldnt even show a grand slam? What was up with showing Dunn's real short home run but not the one he hit that probably went 450?

That was disappointing. They didn't even show the monster shot during "Touch 'em all". I watched 10-15 minutes of the crappy show waiting to see the HR highlights because I wanted to see EE's slam and Dunn's HRs.

indyred
04-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Lucky I have espn news.....they show more highlights............

Sabo Fan
04-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I used to love watching BBTN, but anymore it's what the Yankees and Red Sox did that night, pretty much like everyone has mentioned. The updates are good, but their highlights are terrible, you don't see anything that actually matters. And those phone interviews they've started are kind of pointless. Talking to Mark Prior for 60 seconds doesn't do anything for me. Go back to the days where each game got equal time and show the full boxscores and then I'll watch again.

As far as those on the shows, about the only two I can stand anymore are Karl Ravech and Peter Gammons. Kruk is painful to watch and unlike some, I can't stand Steve Phillips. That may be somewhat due to those horrendous mock news conferences he did for every team over the offseason that they had on Sportscenter. Either way, I'm not a fan. Reynolds I can take, but his drill-stuff is a waste of time. Its gotten to the point now where Gammons hardly speaks, mostly because I think he's decided that there would be no point in trying to refute Kruk's idiocy because it would be lost on most people.

smith288
It went 430... Check out my Dunn Tracker.

Dunn Tracker (http://www.ejsmithweb.com/mlbvote/dunn.aspx)

EDIT: actually 442 ft. CNNSI updated their stat.

registerthis
BBTN has gone downhill so much it's not even funny. Watching for the Reds highlights last night, they showed Arroyo's HR at least a dozen times, but nary a mention of Encarnacion's GS.

I don't have much of a problem with Harold Reynolds, but John Kruk is hideously painful to watch.

Blimpie
04-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Man, that was my Saturdays when I was a kid...start with TWIB, then watch the game of the week on NBC with Vin Scully and Joe G...good times, good times.Hey, what about these guys?

http://www.famouschicken.com/_images/Chicken_Baseball_Bunch_Large.jpg

BoCcc2832
04-12-2006, 10:45 AM
You can tell who is favored by Baseball Tonight. Last night, the first game featured was the Yankees and Royals. Are you kidding me? That's not much of a matchup (even though the score was 9-7). Then the next game was Boston and Toronto (5-3 final). Notice how two of the biggest payroll teams are featured, even though only one of the four actually has a record of above .500 (Boston). Also, both games were at the Bronx and at Boston. I'm sensing major favoritism and possibly some money going into ESPN to show those highlights first.

reds44
04-12-2006, 11:07 AM
I still like it, but not as much as I used to.

Redny
04-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Before the last couple of years I used to watch it virtually every night. At this point I rarely watch it because its filled with too many opinions and not enough news and highlights of all teams.

Strikes Out Looking
04-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Baseball on tv hasn't been the same since NBC lost the contract.

smith288
04-12-2006, 11:20 AM
You can tell who is favored by Baseball Tonight. Last night, the first game featured was the Yankees and Royals. Are you kidding me? That's not much of a matchup (even though the score was 9-7). Then the next game was Boston and Toronto (5-3 final). Notice how two of the biggest payroll teams are featured, even though only one of the four actually has a record of above .500 (Boston). Also, both games were at the Bronx and at Boston. I'm sensing major favoritism and possibly some money going into ESPN to show those highlights first.

ESPN gets paid when the biggest audience is watching. Im willing to bet the advertisers prefer the big market teams be prominent because of the viewer base will be larger and as such, will pay more.

"We will give Boston, LA and NY will get the lions share of the programming if you pay this much..." Advertisers other wise probably wont pay for a certain price if certain market's arent featured. Im betting the commercials during the show are geared towards NY, BOS, LA, Chicago...

The Reds and Brewers of the world wont get play unless we can somehow manage to become a target by advertisers.

KearnsyEars
04-12-2006, 11:26 AM
The golden era for BBTN was early to mid 90's. I miss those days. It's just not the same.

BuckWoody
04-12-2006, 11:26 AM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/buckwoody/BBtonight.jpg
:)

KearnsyEars
04-12-2006, 11:38 AM
added that yo my blog

CySeymour
04-12-2006, 11:45 AM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/buckwoody/BBtonight.jpg
:)

classic!

steig
04-12-2006, 12:11 PM
I disagree with most of your opinions. I like BBTN, I do not like john kruk or steve philips and would like to see them replaced. You can watch any channel or sportscenter to get highlights but BBTN has extra interviews and stats that those shows don't include. True... they seem to favor the yankees and red sox but those are the teams that people follow across the country. How many people in the country want to see pirates or rays highlights to lead off the show. Sportscenter has become so crowded with highlights and shorts that a lot of the baseball stats and information aren't seen and you can only see them on BBTN. In the end it is a 1 hour show dedicated to baseball, how can that be bad? (Even if kruk kills his neck tie)

vaticanplum
04-12-2006, 12:53 PM
The Reds would be featured more if they were a winning team. It's not a personal slight. If they start to contend for anything they'll be broadcast with all of the contending teams.

Falls City Beer
04-12-2006, 01:01 PM
I haven't seen an installment of Baseball Tonight since I stole cable in grad school (1995).

Is it very different? It always seemed pretty meatheaded and undernourished.

Caveman Techie
04-12-2006, 01:45 PM
The golden era for BBTN was early to mid 90's. I miss those days. It's just not the same.

You are 100% correct, that was the Golden era of ESPN TV. Think about it, at that time if you wanted to find out what was going on around the league that night your choices were: 1. Wait for Local News that would give your local team info plus maybe two minutes of scores from other teams. 2. Wait till the morning and look at the boxscores in your local newspaper and hope that the west-coast games had ended in time to make the print. 3. If you had cable tune in to BBTN on ESPN and watch a full hour of highlights and boxscores from every game!

BBTN had a monopoly and anyone who wanted to find out what was going on had to watch them. Fastforward to today, now we have the Internet and if you want to find out how WillyMO did in his home debut for the Red Sox all you have to do is logon to the internet and check the LIVE boxscores, LIVE Gamecast, or LIVE streaming TV via MLBTV. ESPN is in a fight for your attention, (by 'your' I mean society's) and they have found that it increases their Neilsen rating by X% by focusing on the large market teams more and just throwing scraps to us small market fan's.

Does it annoy me that the Reds have to go on a 15 game win streak to get any serious attention out of the national media? Yes. However I understand the reasoning, and if the Reds go on a tear and win 3 WS in a row and increase thier fanbase by a couple of million fans, then ESPN might lead off with them instead of the NYY or BoSox. But till then I found a great little website that gives me all the Reds information I need it's called http://www.redszone.com maybe you've seen it! :)

*edit for typo

KronoRed
04-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Haven't tuned-in for years, it really did become all yankee/red sox all the time..dull to an NL fan.