PDA

View Full Version : Official Bronson Arroyo Cy Young Watch

savafan
04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
This is it, I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Arroyo will win the National League Cy Young Award.

Currently:

7th in the league in ERA with 1.98
2nd in the league in wins with 2
4th in the league in IP with 13.2
4th in the league in strikeouts with 11

.600 OBP
2.000 SLG
.500 AVG
2 Homeruns (tied for 3rd in the league)
2 RBI

The avatar won't change as long as he's pitching well.

redsfan30
04-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Is there a Silver Slugger Award for the pitcher position?

Joseph
04-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Way to jinx it. :)

reds44
04-12-2006, 12:46 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/cin.gif 5-2 | Next: http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/chc.gif
Arroyo Cy Young Watch
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/G-FORCE7/capt.jpg
2-0 | 1.98 ERA | .500 BA | 2 HR | 2 RBI

smith288
04-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Meanwhile, BoSox are having to deal with their lead glove RF.. *snicker*

toledodan
04-12-2006, 01:14 PM
what are the chances we can sign bronson long term? i know i would try and get a long term deal done before he can use that possible trade clause in his contract after this season. while he may never be a #1 starter around the league he is in our rotation. i would hate to lose him since we have a hard time getting good pitchers here.

reds44
04-12-2006, 01:20 PM
what are the chances we can sign bronson long term? i know i would try and get a long term deal done before he can use that possible trade clause in his contract after this season. while he may never be a #1 starter around the league he is in our rotation. i would hate to lose him since we have a hard time getting good pitchers here.
I know he is signed for 2 more year, if not 3. No need to do anything yet.

Hal#23Fan
04-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Bronson is off to a great start, but WAY too early to start predicting a CYA for him this year. Bronson has only started two games, he will pitch in about 29 more before the season is over...............so, let's wait and let it play out before we start handing out awards. Trust me, i would love nothing more than for that to happen, but it is just too early.

I believe you maybe just jinxed Bronson, so you better have one heck of a reverse jinx in your bag of tricks. vbg

Ryan the Reds Fan
04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
I know he is signed for 2 more year, if not 3. No need to do anything yet.

Yes but as a player that was traded during a long term contract he has the right to demand a trade at the end of the season.

I wonder if he would though he seems to be fitting in well and liking the players and the clubhouse atmosphere here. I think he is fitting in quite well, and the pitching and hitting have been good too. ;)

savafan
04-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Bronson is off to a great start, but WAY too early to start predicting a CYA for him this year. Bronson has only started two games, he will pitch in about 29 more before the season is over...............so, let's wait and let it play out before we start handing out awards. Trust me, i would love nothing more than for that to happen, but it is just too early.

I believe you maybe just jinxed Bronson, so you better have one heck of a reverse jinx in your bag of tricks. vbg

C'mon, life is short, have a little fun with it. ;)

Boston Red
Arroyo will have a hard time beating out Eric Milton for the award.

Patrick Bateman
Yes but as a player that was traded during a long term contract he has the right to demand a trade at the end of the season.

I wonder if he would though he seems to be fitting in well and liking the players and the clubhouse atmosphere here. I think he is fitting in quite well, and the pitching and hitting have been good too. ;)

No. The contract Arroyo signed I believe only covers his arb. years, thus he can't demand a trade and is stuck in Cincinnati for 3 years. If I recall Arroyo even had a quote where he said he will play his 3 years here and then will see what happens from there.

Ryan the Reds Fan
04-12-2006, 01:26 PM
I trust you are correct but I've have heard more than once through the media that he had the right to demand a trade at the end of the season, but we all know how the media is. I believe I've heard it on Baseball tonight.

reds44
04-12-2006, 01:27 PM
I trust you are correct but I've have heard more than once through the media that he had the right to demand a trade at the end of the season, but we all know how the media is. I believe I've heard it on Baseball tonight.
You have a right to demand a trade whenever you want to. It doesn't mean that you will be traded however.

Ryan the Reds Fan
04-12-2006, 01:29 PM
You have a right to demand a trade whenever you want to. It doesn't mean that you will be traded however.

I know this, but there is a provision that a player traded in the middle of a long term trade has the right to demand a trade after one season and the team must comply.

I don't know all the details but I'm sure one of our resident experts could help us with the specifics a bit more.

savafan
04-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Players traded in the middle of a multi-year contract can demand a trade.

Arroyo however cannot, because he signed away his arbitration years. Baseball Tonight was wrong if they said otherwise.

reds44
04-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I know this, but there is a provision that a player traded in the middle of a long term trade has the right to demand a trade after one season and the team must comply.

Are you sure about that? I don't think that can be true.

Ryan the Reds Fan
04-12-2006, 01:32 PM

Arroyo however cannot, because he signed away his arbitration years. Baseball Tonight was wrong if they said otherwise.

Thanks for the clarification Sava.

Ryan the Reds Fan
04-12-2006, 01:32 PM

Yes I'm sure.

savafan
04-12-2006, 01:33 PM

Yep, that's what happened with Javier Vazquez. After signing his LT contract with the Yankees, they traded him to Arizona. He demanded a trade, something about his family couldn't get to Arizona to see him, and the D'Backs dealt him to the ChiSox.

Hal#23Fan
04-12-2006, 01:36 PM
C'mon, life is short, have a little fun with it. ;)

Alright, i will give it a try, but if this backfires, you are to blame. vbg:beerme:

pedro
04-12-2006, 01:45 PM

yea, I believe there is.

Chip R
04-12-2006, 01:45 PM

Baseball Tonight was wrong?! :eek:

Topcat
04-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Let Bronson Win 15 and I for one would think that was outstamding. heck after all the disecting of how great willy Mo is going to be versus how Bronson was nothing but garbage posts. I just want him to do well and prove Krivsky knows what he is doin

PuffyPig
04-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Arroya is signed for 3 years, at about $4M per season. He can't formally demand a trade.

One of the things that made Arroyo so attractive was his contract.

savafan
04-12-2006, 02:05 PM
One of the things that made Arroyo so attractive was his contract.

And his long flowing Samsonian locks. :D

registerthis
04-12-2006, 02:36 PM
And his long flowing Samsonian locks. :D

And his ability to play "Eruption" in the key of F without the use of a capo.

harangatang
04-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Sure is, Jason Marquis won last year. I know Mike Hampton has won it a couple times in the past too.

Spitball
04-12-2006, 06:27 PM

Isn't there a penalty imposed on the player demanding the trade, though? I seem to remember this issue coming up when Lasorda traded for Jeff Shaw in the middle of the discount contract he signed with the Reds. I believe it had to do with future free agency restrictions.

FlyingPig
04-12-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't believe it.. :eek:

A thread has been posted...not only in a very positive manner towards a Reds pitcher...but also the Cy Young Award was mentioned...

Sweet!

:cool:

Chip R
04-12-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't believe it.. :eek:

A thread has been posted...not only in a very positive manner towards a Reds pitcher...but also the Cy Young Award was mentioned...

Sweet!

I can start another one about Tom Seaver from 1981 if you like. :)

savafan
04-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Updated stats:

SPLIT G IP H R HR BB SO W L Sv P/GS WHIP BAA ERA
Season 4 26.2 24 11 5 5 22 3 0 0 75.8 1.09 .233 3.04

With Arroyo a big reason why the Reds are in first place, he has to be considered a top Cy Young candidate right now. :D

harangatang
04-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Updated stats:

Season 4 26.2 24 11 5 5 22 2 0 0 75.8 1.09 .233 3.04

With Arroyo a big reason why the Reds are in first place, he has to be considered a top Cy Young candidate right now. :D

Isn't Arroyo 3-0?

wolfboy
04-21-2006, 11:57 PM
I think that if FCB were to offer a future child towards the cause, this Arroyo for Cy Young thing would be a lock.

savafan
04-22-2006, 12:03 AM
Isn't Arroyo 3-0?

Right you are! I fixed it, I overlooked that when I checked the updated stats on ESPN. I know this is going to shock you, but you are more attentive to detail than ESPN.com.

oneupper
04-22-2006, 12:04 AM
With Arroyo a big reason why the Reds are in first place, .... :D

Hate to nitpick...but half a game is half a game.

redsmetz
04-22-2006, 12:24 AM
I can start another one about Tom Seaver from 1981 if you like. :)

He was robbed, but maybe they shouldn't get us started...and he would have been our first Cy Young winner (although several have played for the Reds)

jhiller21
04-22-2006, 12:50 AM
And his ability to play "Eruption" in the key of F without the use of a capo.

Every time he plays the national anthem Hendrix style they should automatically lower his ERA by one run.

Edit: If he sings they could raise it.

MattyHo4Life
04-22-2006, 01:09 AM
I need to start a Jason Marquis Cy Young watch thread on our Cardinals forum ;)

savafan
04-22-2006, 01:41 AM
I need to start a Jason Marquis Cy Young watch thread on our Cardinals forum ;)

We could have a combined Jason Marquis vs. Bronson Arroyo NL Silver Slugger thread going, LOL.

Reverend Doo-Rag
04-22-2006, 09:33 AM
...and he would have been our first Cy Young winner (although several have played for the Reds)

Seaver, Viola, Denny, Newcombe. "Almost Reds": Fingers and Blue

redsfan30
04-22-2006, 10:18 AM
22 strikeouts against only 5 walks????

savafan
04-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Still going strong for the Cy Young. Arroyo is definately looking like an ace right now.

Season 5 34.2 25 11 5 7 30 4 0 0 107.2 0.92 .194 2.34

westofyou
04-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Sonny Siebert had a 9-0 start in 1971 for the Red Sox, I remember at the time I thought he was the greatest pitcher alive.

Matt700wlw
04-27-2006, 02:46 PM
This is it, I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Arroyo will win the National League Cy Young Award.

Currently:
ERA:1.98

That's a Red? :eek: :eek: :eek:

danwl
04-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Danny Jackson in 1988; prior to Hersheiser's string of scoreless innings at the end of the year, he was the favorite, no? 23-8, 2.73

Strikes Out Looking
04-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Tom Seaver in 1981 was hosed--he pitched better than Fernando. But then the powers that be hosed the team that year as well--best record in the NL and no playoffs.

Of course Dick Wagner hosed the fans the following winter, but that's another story. WEHT Cesar Cedeno?

Big Klu
04-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Tom Seaver in 1981 was hosed--he pitched better than Fernando. But then the powers that be hosed the team that year as well--best record in the NL and no playoffs.

Of course Dick Wagner hosed the fans the following winter, but that's another story. WEHT Cesar Cedeno?

I turned 12 and was just coming into my own as a Reds baseball fan that winter. Of course, I has been a Reds fan since I was very small, even when the only thing I knew about baseball was Pete Rose and Johnny Bench. But in 1980 I first started paying closer attention to the game. In 1981, I felt cheated because of the strike. So I was really looking forward to the 1982 season. Then Dick Wagner pulled the rug out from under me! My 12-year-old mind was able to comprehend why there was a perceived need at the time for Cesar Cedeño--when you gut the entire outfield like a fish, you have to go out and find some semi-capable outfielders somewhere. But losing Ray Knight and then forcing Johnny Bench into the 3B position like a square peg in a round hole made no sense to me. If Wagner felt that Cedeño was absolutely necessary (something which I have since questioned), why not trade Dan Driessen to Houston for him, especially since the Astros were evidently looking for a 1B (Knight played more at 1B than 3B for Houston). This would have freed 1B in Cincinnati for Bench.

Of course, I think that there could have been another solution. As I said, I have since questioned whether acquiring Cedeño was necessary at all. He provided adequate depth at all three OF positions and 1B over the 3+ years he played in Cincinnati, but I think that maybe the Reds would have been better off to go with rookie Eddie Milner in CF in 1982, keeping Knight at 3B (and Driessen at 1B), and possibly moving Bench to LF. I know that sounds off the wall, but I think he wouldn't have been any worse defensively than some other leftfielders that the Reds have had (most notably Kal Daniels), and I think he would have been better in LF than at 3B. Also, you still would have had Duane Walker for a defensive replacement in LF.

Of course, if they could have found a way to have kept Ken Griffey Sr., then maybe they wouldn't have been quite so bad. I think that he was the key loss of the four starters who left (Griffey, Foster, Collins, and Knight).

Dunner44
05-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Bump

redsoxbabe
05-02-2006, 12:18 AM
From a Red Sox fan. . .

You're welcome. ;)

Rounding Third
05-02-2006, 12:52 AM
W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO
2006 5 0 2.06 6 6 1 0 0 0 43.2 29 12 10 6 10 34

vaticanplum
05-03-2006, 01:53 AM
Have been meandering through both of the Pena/Arroyo trade threads (nothing like the archives to support late-night procrastination). Some very interesting perspective in there, but this part I thought was timely:

Originally Posted by Raisor
I'm hoping Arrorroorroooo! (cool, he's a wookie) will be eaiser to flip for some good arms at the deadline.

That's all I got.

Originally posted by Red Leader
My thoughts exactly. Pray he pitches like a Cy Young contender the first couple months of the season and then sell him.

They're here if you care to join me:
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44013

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43961

Spitball
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Sonny Siebert had a 9-0 start in 1971 for the Red Sox, I remember at the time I thought he was the greatest pitcher alive.

I know what you mean. Actually, I had thought he was the second greatest pitcher alive behind Vida Blue who was having a phenomenal season in 1971. Then they were matched up in a game at Fenway early that season. I think Siebert was 8-0 and Blue was maybe 10-1 with a ton of strikeouts and a micoscopic ERA. My friend Skip and I drove into Boston in my '63 VW despite the fact it had a multitude of mechanical problems. It was standing room only out in the bleachers and many were turned away but we were lucky and got in. Both pitched great, but Seibert pitched into the ninth to get the win. I'll never forget the hush, then the buzz through the park when we realized Blue was out of the game. It was like 28,000 people all sharing a single thought process. Seibert had bested Blue!

I'm not sure Seibert was ever the same pitcher again after that game. He was like the man on a tight rope who looked down and realized how high he really was and started thinking too much. I think he ended up going 7 and 9 the rest of the season to finish at 16-9.

Chip R
05-03-2006, 05:53 PM
My 12-year-old mind was able to comprehend why there was a perceived need at the time for Cesar Cedeņo--when you gut the entire outfield like a fish, you have to go out and find some semi-capable outfielders somewhere.

Funny you should mention Cedeņo. I was looking at my Faces of Riverfront poster the other day when I noticed Cedeņo on it. I'm puzzled why he was even on that poster. It's not like he put up great numbers or was a great fan favorite.

KronoRed
05-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Was Cesar Cedeño the first "scrappy vet" that was needed to lead the club to the next level? ;)

KittyDuran
05-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Funny you should mention Cedeņo. I was looking at my Faces of Riverfront poster the other day when I noticed Cedeņo on it. I'm puzzled why he was even on that poster. It's not like he put up great numbers or was a great fan favorite.Many Reds players (current and former) were contacted by the Reds FO to be included in the poster - even tho' the team owned the photos they needed the players permission to use the image - so it's safe to assume that Cedeno returned his release. IIRC, Wildman Walker when he was on HOMER went ballastic on this. :D
[I haven't looked at the poster for some time - but wasn't there some glaring omissions?]

Big Klu
05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Was Cesar Cedeņo the first "scrappy vet" that was needed to lead the club to the next level? ;)

No, the Reds had already depleted the outfield of two such players (Ken Griffey Sr. and Dave Collins). Then they had to trade a third (3B Ray Knight) to attempt to offset the loss of the other two and George Foster.

Funny you should mention Cedeņo. I was looking at my Faces of Riverfront poster the other day when I noticed Cedeņo on it. I'm puzzled why he was even on that poster. It's not like he put up great numbers or was a great fan favorite.

The Reds needed outfielders after Dick Wagner gutted the team of George Foster, Ken Griffey Sr., and Dave Collins. Larry Biittner and Mike Vail were no more than bench players, and the farm system had only one legitimate OF prospect ready to play at the big-league level in 1982. (However, Wagner incorrectly thought that it was minor-league golden boy Paul Householder, when in fact it was Eddie Milner.) So he went out and acquired former Royals minor-league golden boy Clint Hurdle, and former four-time All-Star Cesar Cedeņo from the Astros. The 24-year-old Hurdle washed out almost immediately. (Unfortunately for the Reds, he had peaked at age 23, and his fall was extremely rapid!) This opened a spot in the outfield for Milner (who should have been starting, anyway). Cedeņo, as a former Astros All-Star and MVP candidate in the 1970's, was brought in to be a "legitimate" offensive threat in the middle of the order. However, he was past his prime, and the Reds got no more than Jeffrey Hammonds/Michael Tucker/Alex Ochoa fourth-outfielder-type of production out of him in his best season in Cincinnati, and he was supposed to be a starter, not a backup outfielder!

naynay
05-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Good to see ya'all predicted Bronson for the Cy Young so early in the season. Finally somebody more naive than me!!!

Lol just kidding. I'm pulling for the guy too. It is a blast watching him pitch, and I love his technique with the breaking balls and changing speeds. Keep it up Bronson!

reds44
05-06-2006, 02:13 AM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/cin.gif 20-10 | Next: http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/ari.gif
Arroyo Cy Young Watch
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/G-FORCE7/capt.jpg
5-0 | 2.06 ERA | 34 SO | 2 HR hit | 1 CG

Let's keep it going Babe Arroyo!

savafan
05-12-2006, 12:07 AM
For the record.

Season Stats
Season 8 57.2 46 15 6 12 43 5 1 0 91.9 1.01 .213 2.03

You're my boy Oreo! :thumbup:

griffeyfreak4
05-25-2006, 01:08 AM
What!!!??? You lost faith????

Team G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
*2006 CIN 10 10 6 2 0 1 0 70.2 61 20 18 7 14 53 2.29 1.06 0.228

Keep it up Arroyo!

savafan
05-25-2006, 04:06 AM
What!!!??? You lost faith????

Nah, I haven't lost faith, just got busy and hadn't had time to update. Thanks though! :thumbup:

harangatang
06-03-2006, 11:16 PM
I can't find the updated stats right now, if someone else wants to post them, go for it.

fielder's choice
06-04-2006, 12:09 AM
After tonight's game, his ERA is at 2.40 (7-2)

savafan
06-05-2006, 04:27 PM
I can't find the updated stats right now, if someone else wants to post them, go for it.

Season 12 82.2 76 26 7 18 65 7 2 0 107.7 1.14 .240 2.40

CTA513
06-05-2006, 04:30 PM
According to the Cubs website Arroyo is supposed to face Glendon Rusch on June 8th.
He can have a chance to add another win and homerun.

;)

Joseph
06-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Whats the projected ranking of say the top 5 CY Young Candidates? [In your best estimation that is]

CaiGuy
06-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Webb will be in the top five for sure. Pedro perhaps, and maybe even Glavine. He's dominating. If Carpenter comes back he'll make a bid for a repeat (he plays for St. Louis ya know). C. Young (Chris) should win because of his name.;)

savafan
06-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Season 13 89.2 81 27 8 18 68 8 2 0 107.9 1.10 .237 2.31

savafan
06-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Still looking like a strong candidate.

Season 15 105.2 97 33 10 21 80 9 3 0 102.0 1.12 .241 2.47

oregonred
06-20-2006, 03:31 AM
A Red starter with a 9-3 record, a sub 2.5 ERA and over 100 IP in late June...

This cannot be possible...

Danny Serafini
07-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Jeff Brantley just named Arroyo his first half NL Cy Young winner on ESPN Radio. First thing I thought of was this thread.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-07-2006, 08:58 PM
No freaking way, ESPN actually talked about someone that is on the Cincinnati Reds? What a shocker!!!!!

savafan
07-07-2006, 09:57 PM
No freaking way, ESPN actually talked about someone that is on the Cincinnati Reds? What a shocker!!!!!

Well, come on, it is Jeff Brantley we're talking about. He pitched here too.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, come on, it is Jeff Brantley we're talking about. He pitched here too.

It really doesn't matter cause you know that once they go to ESPN they get brainwashed, and then all they know who to talk about are the Yankees and Red Sox....