PDA

View Full Version : Holding out for big bonus is a minor leaguer's best defense

Gallen5862
04-13-2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/p...46/1005/sports
Article published Apr 13, 2006
Holding out for big bonus is a minor leaguer's best defense

The next time an amateur draft selection holds out for sizable signing bonuses, don’t get upset by the money he receives.
Bonanza signing bonuses aren’t solely about greed, even though it is troublesome for fans when 18-year-old Justin Upton, the overall top pick last June, elected a lengthy holdout before signing for a record $6.1 million spread over five years. Another first-round selection last season, Cameron Maybin, didn’t reached an agreement until Sept. 22 for $2.65 million.
Large signing bonuses are about ensuring rapid advancement through the minor leagues. Clubs want a return on their investment and are less likely to part soon with players they’ve given large sums of money.
Low bonus signees, such as former UNC-Wilmington standout Brian Whitaker, a 25th round pick in 2002, don’t get as fair a shake.
San Diego waived him last Monday, despite a career 3.25 ERA over five seasons.
Darryl Lawhorn, an ex-New Hanover High School and East Carolina star, is in a similar, yet nowhere near as drastic situation.
Cincinnati signed him as a free agent in the winter, but left him behind in extended spring training.
Had he been an early selection, he undoubtedly would be on a club, not working out at numerous positions in Sarasota, Fla., with other minor-league holdovers.
He says he’s more at ease at third, which the Reds have told him is an area of need. Although last among farm systems in Baseball America rankings, Cincinnati signed Lawhorn as a middle infielder – the most bountiful position in the Reds system.
They have tried Lawhorn at corner infield spots, second base and right field. If he had his way, the hot corner is where he’d play.
“I have less time to think about stuff, you just kind of react to it,’’ he said.
In case anybody wondered, his twice surgically repaired foot is fine and he’s swung the bat well thus far.
While Lawhorn is in limbo, Josh Bonifay, a six-year minor league free agent, opted for a change of scenery.
After averaging 20 home runs and 78 runs batted in the last four seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates, he decided he needed a fresh start. So the former UNCW standout left the organization, where his father, Cam, once was general manager.
Although he played five spring training games with the parent Pirates, going 2 for 5, the organization didn’t seem to value his versatility and numbers.
Teams view 24th round picks like Bonifay as fillers, meaning a marginal prospect to round out a roster with future big leaguers. So in the off-season, his agent spoke with the Rangers, Cardinals, Cubs and Astros.
Bonifay knew Astros’ minor league field coordinator Tom Wiedenbauer through ex-teammate and close friend, J.R. House, now a catcher with Corpus Christi, the Double A team Bonifay was assigned.
On top of that, Corpus Christi field manager Dave Clark played in the Pirates’ system under Cam’s watch.
“I felt really comfortable with the Astros and thought it was a good opportunity with first baseman Jeff Bagwell down with an injury and it looks like he’s going to retire,’’ Bonifay said.
Lance Berkman is the Astros’ first baseman and Bonifay hopes he can work his way into Houston’s plans in case they need a big league backup.
“The Astros gave me the best opportunity, plus they were fair with me,’’ Bonifay said. “I like their front office people. Ricky Bennett, the farm director and assistant GM, was nice to talk to. He didn’t make any promises. They like people who do their jobs the right way, work hard and don’t cause problems.’’
He signed as a utility player. He expects to play first base, outfield and DH.
“I’ve battled my whole life with the Pirates, not being able to get a chance after putting up numbers I thought were good enough to get promoted to Triple A,’’ he said.
“I’m not worried about the front office anymore or moves. I’m focused on taking care of myself, doing the right things and making sure I’m having fun playing baseball.’’

Staff writer Chuck Carree can be reached at 343-2262 or chuck.carree@starnews
online.com.

Johnny Footstool
04-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Low bonus signees, such as former UNC-Wilmington standout Brian Whitaker, a 25th round pick in 2002, don’t get as fair a shake.
San Diego waived him last Monday, despite a career 3.25 ERA over five seasons.

He got a fair shake. The Padres simply weren't blinded by his ERA. Judging him by his peripheral numbers (K/9, WHIP), he wasn't even a mediocre prospect.