PDA

View Full Version : Unis -- dumping the black and adding NAVY BLUE?!

Pages : [1] 2

Red_BlueDevil
04-13-2006, 05:01 PM
See this tidbit from a recent espn article:

Two weeks ago Uni Watch saluted the Royals for ditching all their ill-advised black trim and urged the Mets and Reds to do likewise. That prompted this dispatch from a reputable Reds source who prefers to remain anonymous: "The Reds' new ownership group is ready to dump black as one of the team's colors as soon as the 2006 season is over. If they didn't have so much black and red merchandise, they would have made the switch for this year. The best part? Navy blue is going to be the new third color, like in the days of old." You heard it here first, people. Now could someone please tell the Mets to get with the program already?

full article available at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060413

I like the idea of dropping the black (we are the REDS aren't we) but what's the deal with adding navy blue? Anyone have any pics of the "days of old" that lukas is talking about?

westofyou
04-13-2006, 05:06 PM
See this tidbit from a recent espn article:

full article available at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060413

I like the idea of dropping the black (we are the REDS aren't we) but what's the deal with adding navy blue? Anyone have any pics of the "days of old" that lukas is talking about?
My avatar

Heath
04-13-2006, 05:14 PM
My avatar

:thumbup:

I'm all for it.

Red White
04-13-2006, 05:22 PM
I hope they use the navy blue sparingly -- as more of a trim color than a complementary/third color.

Joseph
04-13-2006, 05:42 PM
I just want continuity. I will get used to the blue, I just don't want to change every 5 years.

KronoRed
04-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Dumping the black is a good thing, dunno about blue.

BrooklynRedz
04-13-2006, 05:48 PM
This can't happen soon enough in my opinion. And to think I already ordered my cap yesterday!

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1869686&cp=1452348.1452718.1169600&parentPage=family

vaticanplum
04-13-2006, 05:49 PM
I'd like blue better than back, but what is wrong with red and white?

KronoRed
04-13-2006, 05:51 PM
This can't happen soon enough in my opinion. And to think I already ordered my cap yesterday!

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1869686&cp=1452348.1452718.1169600&parentPage=family
Good choice :clap:

Heath
04-13-2006, 05:51 PM
I'd like blue better than back, but what is wrong with red and white?

because the MLB licensing agreement needs to make some money off Cincinnati.

Jr's Boy
04-13-2006, 05:52 PM
I've gotten used to the black.

westofyou
04-13-2006, 05:53 PM
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1936_cincinnati.gif

IslandRed
04-13-2006, 06:03 PM
I hope they use the navy blue sparingly -- as more of a trim color than a complementary/third color.

I'd have never had a bad word to say about the black if they'd used it like that.

KronoRed
04-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Red pants? :lol:

BCubb2003
04-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I never minded the black but the worst was when they had a throwback night, last year I think, with Big Red Machine uniforms but black sleeves. That was so wrong.

BrooklynRedz
04-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Good choice :clap:

Thanks...I'm pretty stoked!

On a somewhat related note, I'm curious how the removal of the black will affect the sales of Reds caps in NYC and other urban centers. I'm sure it's been mentioned before by others, but not a day goes by that I don't see at least one (and often several) Reds cap on the train to work or standing outside the bodega new home. They're everywhere! Will this change with the blue? I wonder.

BCubb2003
04-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Maybe sales will pick up in North Korea, Cuba and Venezuela ...

Dunner44
04-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Didn't someone suggest that the prevalence of red reds hats with the wishbone C was because of the bloods and the crips?

Roy Tucker
04-13-2006, 06:28 PM

I got me one of those a ways back.

I think the navy blue replacement of black sounds good. Er, looks good. Whatever.

westofyou
04-13-2006, 06:30 PM

On a somewhat related note, I'm curious how the removal of the black will affect the sales of Reds caps in NYC and other urban centers. I'm sure it's been mentioned before by others, but not a day goes by that I don't see at least one (and often several) Reds cap on the train to work or standing outside the bodega new home. They're everywhere! Will this change with the blue? I wonder.
Finally a cap I can wear... I'm not a fan of Red or Black caps and the Red Wings and Reds didn't have options.. hence the Mariners cap and Grey Reds cap.

Mario-Rijo
04-13-2006, 06:38 PM
That blue up there almost looks Cubs-Esque on the unis. I don't mind the idea of getting rid of the black but I don't like the navy blue either. In fact I'd be more than happy with Red, White & Grey only.

westofyou
04-13-2006, 06:53 PM
That blue up there almost looks Cubs-Esque on the unis. I don't mind the idea of getting rid of the black but I don't like the navy blue either. In fact I'd be more than happy with Red, White & Grey only.
1902 Reds and 1911 Cubs, Cubs Navy was always a tad darker.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1902_cincinnati_01.gif

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1911_chicago_01.gif

RFS62
04-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Here you go

pahster
04-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I actually like the black a great deal. I'm not a fan of the Sunday all red shirts and I never cared for the plain white with red pinstripes. I found my old hat (plain white with a red C, pinstripes, and a red bill with a green underside) from the early or mid 90's and couldn't get over how ugly it was.

Kradokk
04-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Personally, I really enjoy the black. But I consider black to be like gray, or white, just a neutral color. Blue, imho, would be a bad idea. I love the look of the all black caps with the red C... such a nice, clean look.

pahster
04-13-2006, 07:32 PM

That looks way too much like my girlfriend's Cubs hat for my likeing.

MartyFan
04-13-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't like it...I like the black

StillFunkyB
04-13-2006, 07:37 PM
I like the black, agree that there is too much of it, but I like the black BP hats.

I DO NOT like the blue. Way too much like the Cubs, and I hate the Cubs.

KronoRed
04-13-2006, 07:41 PM
More then 1 shade of the blue, the cubs can have the sucky shade.

Phhhl
04-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Someone says it in every one of these threads, but it's true. The best Reds unis are the vintage 1970's. The one just before the "pajamas", with belts and no racing stripes. They closed out Crosley wearing those, opened up Riverfront and I would love to see them return.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I love the Reds current home uni's minus the black. I wish they would go with the all Red hat instead of the black bill.

I also love this jersey:

http://www.dugout-memories.com/red1976.jpg

KronoRed
04-13-2006, 07:56 PM
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1963_cincinnati_01.gif
I like these :D

uks2h
04-13-2006, 08:06 PM
If it is blue, I hope it's not navy. I like the weird color blue on the old throwback satin jackets on the reds website.

kyred14
04-13-2006, 08:17 PM
No need for the blue, just wear red sleeves on home and road games. And dump the red uni's while you're at it.

Red in Chicago
04-13-2006, 08:29 PM
forget about the black and/or blue...the other day, i was watching some baseball highlights and almost didn't even recognize the reds, with all that black on...it looks dumb, in my opinion...more red for the road uniforms...

is there a rule that a team must have different uniforms for both the road and home?

paintmered
04-13-2006, 08:40 PM
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1963_cincinnati_01.gif
I like these :D

Those have my vote too. :thumbup:

Those unis are timeless.

kbrake
04-13-2006, 09:03 PM
I dont mind the black, dont like the blue, and like the idea of all Red caps and getting rid of the black bill. Even though as I type this a Red hat w/ black bill sits on my head. Oh well. I really need a new one anyways.

remdog
04-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Personally, I really enjoy the black. But I consider black to be like gray, or white, just a neutral color. Blue, imho, would be a bad idea. I love the look of the all black caps with the red C... such a nice, clean look.

I agree with that assesment totally. But, if they do drop the black, do not add blue. Go to simple red and white with a little grey if you want some trim.

Caveat Emperor
04-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Someone says it in every one of these threads, but it's true. The best Reds unis are the vintage 1970's. The one just before the "pajamas", with belts and no racing stripes. They closed out Crosley wearing those, opened up Riverfront and I would love to see them return.

I'm actually quite fond of the "pajama" look for baseball uniforms.

I'd like to see them make a comeback.

CRedsLarkin11
04-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Blue just sounds like a bad idea to me

Heath
04-13-2006, 11:31 PM
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?Entryid=206&fileName=nl_1913_cincinnati.gif

If not, I vote for the 61-67 jersey.

CrackerJack
04-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Ancient old school, I like it.

The black has never seemed very Reds-like to me. The blue's a nice gesture to the Crosley/Redland Field era.

smith288
04-13-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm actually quite fond of the "pajama" look for baseball uniforms.

I'd like to see them make a comeback.
You take that back! You take that back right this instant before I ding your rep!

guttle11
04-13-2006, 11:45 PM

Just don't mess with those guys. It's a well known "urban legend" of sorts that the Reds "C" hat is a symbol of the Cripps. At least that's what I red in an article somewhere.

Yachtzee
04-13-2006, 11:51 PM
These are the best all-time Reds unis, IMHO. I know Randy in NC agrees with me.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1971_cincinnati.gif

If they go with some navy blue, this wouldn't be a bad look.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1935_cincinnati.gif

macro
04-14-2006, 12:40 AM

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1971_cincinnati.gif

...and macro agrees, too!! :wave:

Jpup
04-14-2006, 12:47 AM
...and macro agrees, too!! :wave:

me too. :thumbup:

jhiller21
04-14-2006, 12:54 AM
me too. :thumbup:

I would love to see this setup again, but with the all-red Sunday jersey used at home also. Let the starting pitcher decide which jersey to wear at home (Red or White).

Ditch the black on the road for red, lose the vests altoghether.

savafan
04-14-2006, 02:31 AM
Count me among the few who like the black.

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 04:02 AM
do you guys think this will really happen? AND

the Reds home uniform is almost all Red except for the black bills on the batting helmet and caps. Also there is black filling in the "C" surrounding the "reds".

Do you think this is just a rumor or will it really happen? I like these current uniforms alot and think the continuity of them would be nice--sick of the changes. Now if they wanna add an alternate so be it.

What are your guys thoughts is this for real?

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 04:10 AM
please someone calm me down and tell me this ain't happening in all probability. CHANGE IS BAD!

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 04:17 AM
CHANGE IS BAD!
No it's not, these uniforms have no history of any winning, why not change them and leave the past of .500 seasons behind? :)

kyred14
04-14-2006, 04:44 AM
No it's not, these uniforms have no history of any winning, why not change them and leave the past of .500 seasons behind? :)

Yeah, we need to find some uniforms that are "proven winners."

savafan
04-14-2006, 05:04 AM

I want uniforms that are scrappy and have veteran presence, you know, the kind of unis that do the little things.

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Exactly, ones that know how to play the game.

Jpup
04-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Exactly, ones that know how to play the game.

"professional uniforms";)

remdog
04-14-2006, 08:51 AM
......lose the vests altoghether.

Yikes! I would really hate that! Going back to the days of the sleveless Big Klu that image is etched in my brain as the look of the Cincinnati Reds!

Rem

Newman4
04-14-2006, 09:26 AM
If they change to Red, White and Blue, I will never buy another piece of Reds merchandise. I love the black and thought it was great when they came out with it. The only compromise is the totally Red and White uniform of the Big Red Machine days.

There are too many teams that are Red, White and Blue:

Braves, Nationals, Phillies, Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, Indians, Red Sox, Rangers, Angels.....

Heath
04-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I think blue would be used as an ACCESSORY COLOR - not a PRIMARY color.

If RCast is using the power of tradition, might we see a restyling of a "wishbone" C to the point of the 1961-1966 Reds with NO wishbone "C"?

I'm ok with the 67-71 unis - but you could do some highlights in blue around the C.

Kansas City went Retro - they dropped black.

RANDY IN INDY
04-14-2006, 09:44 AM
:thumbup: :beerme:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1935_cincinnati.gif

RANDY IN INDY
04-14-2006, 09:45 AM
If there absolutely has to be an accent color, navy blue is it.

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 10:38 AM
I mean once again, what do you guys think the chances of this actually happening are? I feel a poll coming

paintmered
04-14-2006, 10:41 AM
I mean once again, what do you guys think the chances of this actually happening are? I feel a poll coming

ESPN uni watch is reporting it will (not might) happen at the end of this year. No poll necessary.

Besides, the Reds have a long tradition with navy blue in their unis. There is nothing to fear here. The Reds have done this for decades.

elfmanvt07
04-14-2006, 10:49 AM

Agreed.

I was vehemently against Black being put into the uniform, but to be honest, if they'd just tone it down in the Road unis a little, I'd actually be forced to say that I like it. But I'm ALL FOR the blue. It's a traditional Reds color.

Oh, and whoever it was who posted about those pinstripe hats, I agree with you. The white pinstripe hat with the red bill was the dumbest looking hat I've ever seen. I have a picture of Larkin with it on and it looks terrible, lol.

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 11:11 AM
ESPN uni watch is reporting it will (not might) happen at the end of this year. No poll necessary.

Besides, the Reds have a long tradition with navy blue in their unis. There is nothing to fear here. The Reds have done this for decades.

Why is Uni watch that accurate?

vaticanplum
04-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Those red and white ones are gorgeous. That's what a baseball uniform should look like in my opinion.

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Those red and white ones are gorgeous. That's what a baseball uniform should look like in my opinion.

I'm hoping they keep this one as the primary home uniform--if you are speaking of the current home uniform.

Maybe at most they dump the black and grey one on the road, or add an alternate, but please ownership don't change the current red and white home uniforms with the vests. I will be extremely PO'd if this happens.

Newman4
04-14-2006, 11:24 AM
I'll compromise with you Blue lovers and go strictly with Red and White with no black either. But, Red and White with Blue is ugly and as far as "traditional", just because it was ugly a long time ago, doesn't make it not ugly. The White Sox used to wear shorts that doesn't make it acceptable today.

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 11:35 AM
man this can't happen I'm really sick of the uniform changes.

vaticanplum
04-14-2006, 11:52 AM
The problem with adding blue (or black) to a uniform that is (or should be) red and white is the knock socks factor. The Reds had very poor knock sock representation for the last several years, for a couple of reasons. The first is that they do not currently have a team that is well-built for knock socks. Some of the players are particularly tall, which is a knock sock positive, but not particularly lanky or thin, which is knock sock negative. Adam Dunn would not look good in knock socks. He needs the long pants to lengthen his line because he's not a particularly trim dude. Griffey in his prime was a knock sock model, but he's got a little too much weight on him now, though he could pull it off if he had to (so could Kearns, giving us a two-thirds knock sock outfield which would make me very happy). Anyway, the Reds have been knock sock shy for several seasons now, and if it's for physically aesthetic reasons like this, then I applaud them for putting as much thought into it as insane people like me.

BUT another reason I believe they have avoided the knock socks is because you simply cannot sport red socks with a black-and-gray uniform, even it it has a little bit of red trim, because you're throwing in a third color and it's too much. You could, but it would be ugly and irrelevant. Some teams try, and the results are disastrous. Derrek Lee, for example, is a tall, beautiful man, but when he wears a blue jersey, white pants, and blue knock socks, all accented with a bit of red, it completely breaks up his line and I'm sure lowers his self-esteem. Houston is the worst offender of all. You have Andy Pettitte on the mound (and the sight of Pettitte in a Houston uniform still makes me weep no matter what he's wearing, but whatever), and he's got on a maroon shirt, white striped pants, and black socks. Oh. my. God. That's THREE different colors out in full force, none of them really having much to do with each other, and it breaks up his line and makes him look two feet tall. The people who allow this to happen should be committed for crimes against baseball. And Houston is a team physically built to handle knock socks, and yet this is what they wear.

So while I applaud the Reds for playing to the make-up of their team and avoiding choices that would make them physically unappealing, the fact remains that knock socks are the heart of baseball and they should at least be given the choice. With their current uniform, as far as I'm concerned, there is no choice. The one uniform that they have that's red is obviously not knock sock-friendly, since to sport entirely red would make them look like popsicles. The current pinstripe uniform is the most knock sock-friendly, but in my opinion any team wearing pinstripes apart from the Yankees and the White Sox is a poor imitation. For the Reds to revert to a white uniform with red trim would allow them to wear knock socks appealingly. The only way it would work on this team is if it were all one color, though, with no third color messing things up, which is the only thing making me hesitant about the blue, retro as it may be.

Newman4
04-14-2006, 11:58 AM
the knock socks factor.

What the hell is a "knock sock"?

vaticanplum
04-14-2006, 12:00 PM
What the hell is a "knock sock"?

The high socks.

Newman4
04-14-2006, 12:01 PM
What do you mean by his "line"?

BuckeyeRedleg
04-14-2006, 12:03 PM
The problem with adding blue (or black) to a uniform that is (or should be) red and white is the knock socks factor. The Reds had very poor knock sock representation for the last several years, for a couple of reasons. The first is that they do not currently have a team that is well-built for knock socks. Some of the players are particularly tall, which is a knock sock positive, but not particularly lanky or thin, which is knock sock negative. Adam Dunn would not look good in knock socks. He needs the long pants to lengthen his line because he's not a particularly trim dude. Griffey in his prime was a knock sock model, but he's got a little too much weight on him now, though he could pull it off if he had to (so could Kearns, giving us a two-thirds knock sock outfield which would make me very happy). Anyway, the Reds have been knock sock shy for several seasons now, and if it's for physically aesthetic reasons like this, then I applaud them for putting as much thought into it as insane people like me.

Adam Dunn needs to wear his pants jacked up to his knees (knock sock) so that it gives umpires a point of reference and they'll hopefully quit calling the ball below his knees as a strike. His knees are ridiculously high off the ground and being the slective hitter that he is, he could use every bit of help from the umps. He may look stupid, but he'll get more walks and possibly more good pitches to hit if he goes old-school (Jim Thome).

BuckeyeRedleg
04-14-2006, 12:06 PM
:thumbup: :beerme:

Double :beerme:

Me likey the old-school colors and uni's. I could care less if fitty cent doesn't like them. In college sports it may hurt recruiting to not have "cool" street- cred worthy unis, but in baseball, old-school (gray, blue, red) all the way.

Yachtzee
04-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Adam Dunn needs to wear his pants jacked up to his knees (knock sock) so that it gives umpires a point of reference and they'll hopefully quit calling the ball below his knees as a strike. His knees are ridiculously high off the ground and being the slective hitter that he is, he could use every bit of help from the umps. He may look stupid, but he'll get more walks and possibly more good pitches to hit if he goes old-school (Jim Thome).

That right there is a good reason for any player to wear the pant legs up and show the high socks. Make the strike zone smaller to force pitchers to give you better pitches. Besides, I think it looks better.

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 12:09 PM
So what are the chances in your guys opinion of the uniform changes happening? 50/50?

BuckeyeRedleg
04-14-2006, 12:13 PM
That right there is a good reason for any player to wear the pant legs up and show the high socks. Make the strike zone smaller to force pitchers to give you better pitches. Besides, I think it looks better.

Exactly, even if it's not "cool". Personally, I think the baggy pants pulled down to the shoes looks pretty stupid anyway

As Fernando Lamas might have said. "You looooook Mahvelous....but sometimes, it's better to hit good than to look good."

ghettochild
04-14-2006, 12:14 PM
its to make the players more scrappy, because, lets face it. those uni's are scrappy ;)

vaticanplum
04-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Observe:

1. Good knock sock wear/home. These are not true knock socks since they're not high, but for the sake of argument they're close enough. Note that even though Bench is a catcher and so rather stubby, the long white line followed by just a hint of red at the bottom to accent the uniform's trim serves him well. He looks tall, imposing, and uniform, and the white and red look excellent and uncluttered against the green background of a baseball field.

2. Good knock sock wear/away. The uniform is a single color again, albeit gray instead of white. The trim on the sleeves and the jersey accents the socks. Oakland has an unfortunate history of throwing in too many colors to their uniforms, but the third color here (yellow) is minimal, and the gray and white are muted enough that the yellow stands out without distracting.

3. Poor knock sock wear/away. This is just so wrong I don't know where to start. Pettitte, who always looked so good in a Yankees uniform home or away, is wearing three different colors. Three. He doesn't even look like he's on a baseball team.

4. Poor knock sock wear/away. Normally, Mark Prior understands the rules of knock socks better than almost anyone in baseball. He is one of the few players who is actually knock sock MALLEABLE. When his team sports the white uniforms, he goes with the blue knock socks. When they wear the blue jerseys, he wears long white pants. This is genius, as he limits himself to only two colors and his clothes don't look too busy on the mound. However, for whatever reason, he occasionally missteps. Here we have blue/white/blue. Then the blue shoes. Then the red bill. It's too much. Line basically means that there is one or AT MOST two colors running down the body, but this breaks up the line and makes him look shorter.

It seems that very few people have poor knock sock wear/home, which is encouraging.

vaticanplum
04-14-2006, 12:25 PM

Oh right, there are baseball reasons too. Forgot about that.

The pants don't need to be baggy. In fact they should be well-fitting, both for less inhibition of movement and because it looks better, but then here again we have the problem of Dunn being a bigger guy and, I get the impression, not as comfortable in tighter pants.

westofyou
04-14-2006, 12:26 PM
1. Good knock sock wear/home. These are not true knock socks since they're not high,

Back in the day, we'd cut the sock and extend it with elastic so that just a thin stripe ran up the side of your leg, it made you almost as fast as you were when you wore PF Flyers.

RANDY IN INDY
04-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Back in the day, we'd cut the sock and extend it with elastic so that just a thin stripe ran up the side of your leg, it made you almost as fast as you were when you wore PF Flyers.

Those PF's were real fast, weren't they?:) :beerme:

In all my years of being around baseball, I've never heard of a knock sock.:confused:

westofyou
04-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Those PF's were real fast, weren't they?:) :beerme:

In all my years of being around baseball, I've never heard of a knock sock.:confused:
Knock socks?

Never heard of it either... but I also used to put my pants on inside out, legs first to make sure the socks were tall and tight.

RANDY IN INDY
04-14-2006, 12:56 PM
As far as the uniform change, I would love to see them move to the '68-'71 home uniforms, but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the vests on the road, slightly trimmed in navy but always worn with red sleeves, just as they wore in the early 60's. The Reds have had a rich history with the vests, and I don't want to see them go away completely. I would even like to see them keep the pinstriped vests, trimmed with navy, as a home alternate. The key to making the navy work is, "very limited," and never on those home whites of '68-'71.

vaticanplum
04-14-2006, 12:57 PM
It's an antiquated term, and there's a great story behind it which goshdarn if I can't remember it. I think it may have had to do with nerves (the idea of knees knocking together) and I also think it may have come from the White Sox for some reason.

I did think it was more common than it is, apparently. I do distinctly remember reading it very recently though, in an article about the Devil Rays' new high-socks policy.

Newman4
04-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Randy, does you signature line have anything to do with your love of Navy? Tell me you're not a WVU fan!

Yachtzee
04-14-2006, 01:27 PM

By the time I was playing my last years of youth baseball, when I was 16-17 and playing for the "Indians", a lot of the socks came with the elastic already sewn in. I actually preferred to keep the stirrups at a medium length because we had blue socks with these cool red and white stripes and I wanted the stripes to show. In the years before, when I played for the "Reds," we had red socks with navy and white stripes.

Here's a question. I've notice that most youth baseball leagues around here just give the kids t-shirts instead of jerseys and just name the teams after major league teams so that they can use the MLB batting practice caps as their own. Anyone else feel a little sad that kids don't get at least a double knit and a mesh-back hat with their own team name on it? Some of my fondest memories of youth baseball were playing in leagues with interesting "themed" team names. One league we called the "Feudal" league, because the teams had names like "Dukes" and "Barons." I was on the "Earls." Another league was the "Car" league with teams like the "Mustangs," "Cougars," "Firebirds," and my team the "Camaros."

westofyou
04-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Anyone else feel a little sad that kids don't get at least a double knit and a mesh-back hat with their own team name on it?

Ours were sponsers names, in Ann Arbor it was Rampanelli Chevrolet, in Ohio Mariemont Iinsurance. In script like the pros names.

BTW having worn heavy flannel for a couple of years and caught in them for a year in Michigan I wouldn't wish them on any team in the Mid West.

SandyD
04-14-2006, 02:06 PM
I kind of like the idea of a new uniform design. Blue trim wouldn't bother me too much. Don't think I'd like too much blue though.

NatiRedGals
04-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Interesting cant wait be really cool to see

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 02:20 PM
anyone think its for real or just a rumor?

RANDY IN INDY
04-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Randy, does you signature line have anything to do with your love of Navy? Tell me you're not a WVU fan!

Naw, I'm from Huntington, WV and my favorite team is whoever is playing WVU on any given Saturday. My heart bleeds Marshall green.

By the way, new movie coming out about the 1970 plane crash and the rebirth of Marshall football called "We are Marshall." Was in Huntington for a few days this past week and they were filming. Stars: Matthew McConaughey, Matthew Fox, David Strathairn, Anthony Mackie, Kate Mara, Arlen Escarpeta. Due out in December.

In Summary: "We Are Marshall" tells an inspiring true story set in Huntington, West Virginia, a small town steeped in the rich tradition of college football. For decades, players, coaches, fans and families have come together to cheer on Marshall University's "Thundering Herd." For this team and this community, Marshall football is more than just a sport, it's a way of life. But on a fateful night in 1970, while traveling back to Huntington after a game in North Carolina, 75 members of Marshall's football team and coaching staff were killed in a plane crash. As those left behind struggled to cope with the devastating loss of their loved ones, the grieving families found hope and strength in the leadership of Jack Lengyel, a young coach who was determined to rebuild Marshall's football program and in the process helped to heal a community.

"We Are Marshall" stars Matthew McConaughey as Jack Lengyel, the coach who leads Marshall University and the Huntington community from tragedy to triumph; Matthew Fox as assistant coach Red Dawson, who helps Lengyel rebuild the team after giving up his seat on the doomed flight to another member of the Marshall squad; and David Strathairn as the president of Marshall University, who attempts to restore the school's broken spirit against overwhelming odds. The film also co-stars Anthony Mackie ("Million Dollar Baby") as passionate team captain Nate Ruffin and Kate Mara ("Brokeback Mountain") as Marshall's head cheerleader Annie Cantrell.

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 02:35 PM
anyone think its for real or just a rumor?

discuss.

Heath
04-14-2006, 02:57 PM
discuss.

If RCast is behind it, I would not be shocked to see it happened.

Its also time for a change for MLB Apparel. every 5-6 years with a uniform change for teams generates more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 02:59 PM
I like how teams like the Yankees, Cards, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mariners, Oakland, White Sox, etc. use the same uniform...it's classy, we should take note from that.

Newman4
04-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Naw, I'm from Huntington, WV and my favorite team is whoever is playing WVU on any given Saturday. My heart bleeds Marshall green.

By the way, new movie coming out about the 1970 plane crash and the rebirth of Marshall football called "We are Marshall." Was in Huntington for a few days this past week and they were filming. Stars: Matthew McConaughey, Matthew Fox, David Strathairn, Anthony Mackie, Kate Mara, Arlen Escarpeta. Due out in December.

In Summary: "We Are Marshall" tells an inspiring true story set in Huntington, West Virginia, a small town steeped in the rich tradition of college football. For decades, players, coaches, fans and families have come together to cheer on Marshall University's "Thundering Herd." For this team and this community, Marshall football is more than just a sport, it's a way of life. But on a fateful night in 1970, while traveling back to Huntington after a game in North Carolina, 75 members of Marshall's football team and coaching staff were killed in a plane crash. As those left behind struggled to cope with the devastating loss of their loved ones, the grieving families found hope and strength in the leadership of Jack Lengyel, a young coach who was determined to rebuild Marshall's football program and in the process helped to heal a community.

"We Are Marshall" stars Matthew McConaughey as Jack Lengyel, the coach who leads Marshall University and the Huntington community from tragedy to triumph; Matthew Fox as assistant coach Red Dawson, who helps Lengyel rebuild the team after giving up his seat on the doomed flight to another member of the Marshall squad; and David Strathairn as the president of Marshall University, who attempts to restore the school's broken spirit against overwhelming odds. The film also co-stars Anthony Mackie ("Million Dollar Baby") as passionate team captain Nate Ruffin and Kate Mara ("Brokeback Mountain") as Marshall's head cheerleader Annie Cantrell.

That's good Randy! I'm a lifelong Herd fan too, originally from Lawrence Co. Ohio. That movie is going to be awesome!

Heath
04-14-2006, 03:31 PM
I like how teams like the Yankees, Cards, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mariners, Oakland, White Sox, etc. use the same uniform...it's classy, we should take note from that.

I'll give you the Yankees and the Dodgers. The Red Sox have made minor adjustments (remember a red Red Sox hat in '75) with color and hats while keeping the "B" - plus hey they are the RED Sox and they have NAVY blue as a primary color. The Cards have had the same uni for the last 10 or so years - bringing back the navy blue hat - hey, the Cardinals are red and they have NAVY blue in their uniforms. The Mariners have kept the last decade the same type uni as well as Oakland. The White Sox have had the same uniform for the past 10 years as well, before that they led the league in uniform changes.

Everyone makes tweaks and changes. It's not the end of the world. Yet.

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Our uniforms changed 6 years ago, they don't have much tradition behind them

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 03:40 PM
"professional uniforms";)
Exactly. :devil:

savafan
04-14-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm still waiting for the Ladies' Night Promo special when they give the ladies discounted beer, and draw for prizes for the women all while wearing this on the field:

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1504395reg.jpg
http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/31-60/31-60289-B.jpg

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I still don't think it is for sure....

I feel like its not as substantiated as some here are making it.

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm still waiting for the Ladies' Night Promo special when they give the ladies discounted beer, and draw for prizes for the women all while wearing this on the field:

Guaranteed sell out.

savafan
04-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Guaranteed sell out.

I'd be there. You could be sure it'd be a great game for some good mocking.

DropDocK
04-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Like the navy blue idea, preferably trim but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I didn't realize until last season that they had some blue colors to their hats and stuff previously. An older gentleman I know was sporting one of those hats and I mistakenly chided him for not wearing Reds stuff.

DropDocK
04-14-2006, 04:49 PM

Really don't care for the pink festishes.

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 05:01 PM
I'd be there. You could be sure it'd be a great game for some good mocking.
Mocking leads to wins.

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Do you guys think there is any way they'll keep the current home uniforms and are maybe just adding an alternate w/ the old style navy blue, like the Indians recently did, keeping with the traditional jerseys but adding sleeveless alternates? could this be a possibility?

savafan
04-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Do you guys think there is any way they'll keep the current home uniforms and are maybe just adding an alternate w/ the old style navy blue, like the Indians recently did, keeping with the traditional jerseys but adding sleeveless alternates? could this be a possibility?

Of course, it could be a possibility, but I think you are getting all worked up and over anxious about something, that in the grand scheme of things, isn't that big of a deal.

WVRedsFan
04-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I haven't read this whole thread -- I'm supposedly working today-- but RCast probably has the 1961-63 uniforms in mind. White with red pitstripes at home and gray on the road. red "C" with blue background and "Reds" in red piped in white. Navy blue piping around the sleeves of the vests.

I have no problem with what we have, but that would be sweet!

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Going back to those would be a nice call back on tradition.

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 06:19 PM
well i've spent alot of money on the current uniforms thinking they'd be our uniforms for a while. I just think it would be a crap move to change them.

RANDY IN INDY
04-14-2006, 06:56 PM
I haven't read this whole thread -- I'm supposedly working today-- but RCast probably has the 1961-63 uniforms in mind. White with red pitstripes at home and gray on the road. red "C" with blue background and "Reds" in red piped in white. Navy blue piping around the sleeves of the vests.

I have no problem with what we have, but that would be sweet!

The piping around the vest sleeves was "black" on the 1961-1966 Reds uniforms. Initially, they had no piping, but it was added, I believe, as a single band when Powell Crosley died. They liked the look and added the piping to the other sleeve.

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 06:57 PM
They will be worth more though :D

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Well i'm just gonna think positive that they won't be changing the uniforms.

Yachtzee
04-14-2006, 08:14 PM
well i've spent alot of money on the current uniforms thinking they'd be our uniforms for a while. I just think it would be a crap move to change them.

Don't worry. Yours will be "retro". It's all good. :thumbup:

KearnsyEars
04-14-2006, 11:22 PM
they aren't changing the uniforms. I'm confident that when we win the world series in these, we aren't going to change them.

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Either way we won't know till next spring.

Yachtzee
04-15-2006, 12:13 AM
When it comes down to it, isn't it all really just laundry? ;)

Big Klu
04-15-2006, 02:05 AM
Ours were sponsers names

Same here. I played for D&C Refuse (league champs five years in a row), then for Patterson Insurance. In Babe Ruth ball I played for Producers Services (which was an oil well drilling outfit).

WVRedsFan
04-15-2006, 02:17 AM
The piping around the vest sleeves was "black" on the 1961-1966 Reds uniforms. Initially, they had no piping, but it was added, I believe, as a single band when Powell Crosley died. They liked the look and added the piping to the other sleeve.

I know you're right on this one, Randy, because I remember the story. I still like those unis so much that for the whole period of my life I still picture the Reds and watching baseball in Cincinnati with those uniforms and Crosley Field.

Big Klu
04-15-2006, 03:38 AM
Now that I see that dropping the black from the uniform is a distinct possibility, I have an idea as to what I would like to see as the new uniform:

Go back to the 1970 uniforms. One solid red cap, one home white uniform, one road gray uniform. (But an alternate look that is inspired by the 50's and 60's.)

Home: White sleeved uniform, wishbone C-Reds logo on left breast, red number on right breast, solid red cap.

Away: Gray sleeved uniform, "CINCINNATI" in red arched block letters, red number offset below on left side, solid red cap.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1970_cincinnati.gif
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The alternate look would look a lot like the 1962 uniform, except it would use the 1954-style wishbone C-Reds logo, and the home uniform and cap would not have pinstripes. (I can be flexible on the pinstripe issue, however.)

Home Alternate: White sleeveless uniform with black trim around armhole, 1954-style wishbone C-Reds logo (reds letters on navy background) on left breast, red number trimmed in navy on right breast, red sleeves, white cap with red bill (red C trimmed in navy).

Away Alternate: Gray sleeveless uniform with black trim around armhole, "CINCINNATI" in red arched block letters trimmed in navy, red number trimmed in navy offset below on left side, red sleeves, gray cap with red bill (red C trimmed in navy).

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1962_cincinnati.gif
*Note: 1954-style C-Reds logo, and no pinstripes on home uniform or cap
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the 1970-style uniform is rejected, and the 1962-style uniform is chosen to be the only uniform, then the 1970-style red cap can be an alternate cap for both home and away.

Jpup
04-15-2006, 10:33 AM
never heard of a knock sock. we always called them stirrups. I remember the days of masking tape around the top of the stirrup, the bottom of the pants, and your sock, to make sure that they didn't fall down during the game. I always wore them high. :cool: I even had some Red shiny cleats when I was 10 years old. :)

Newman4
04-15-2006, 10:43 AM

I think this would be a good idea. I'm all for keeping the current uniforms and add in a "alternate" edition with the navy blue thrown in there. As long as the primary colors remain red and white with black trim.

RANDY IN INDY
04-15-2006, 11:04 AM
I know you're right on this one, Randy, because I remember the story. I still like those unis so much that for the whole period of my life I still picture the Reds and watching baseball in Cincinnati with those uniforms and Crosley Field.

I think we all have a soft spot for the uniforms that ushered in our love for the game and the Reds. I guess that's why I love the '68-'71 uniforms so much. Would love to see them again, with the '61-'67 style as the alternate for both home and road. They really need to bring back the all red caps with the white wishbone "C". That cap is a classic.

Big Klu
04-15-2006, 11:29 AM
I think we all have a soft spot for the uniforms that ushered in our love for the game and the Reds. I guess that's why I love the '68-'71 uniforms so much. Would love to see them again, with the '61-'67 style as the alternate for both home and road. They really need to bring back the all red caps with the white wishbone "C". That cap is a classic.

So I take it you endorse my design proposal? :D

WVRedsFan
04-15-2006, 11:33 AM

Don't know about my brother from the native state, but I could live with that, even though I really didn't like the white uniforms with the white C outlined in red with the red interior, BRM or not. Not enough red for me. And I like the vests, but if they win in whatever uniform they wear, that's what I want!

RANDY IN INDY
04-15-2006, 11:44 AM

We must think alike, Big Klu, because I have been endorsing that for a long time.:beerme:

macro
04-17-2006, 12:51 AM
The Post is reporting it:

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060415/SPT05/604150389/1035/SPT

No black on Reds' jerseys in '07

ADVERTISEMENT
RELATED STORIES

• Harang a batting hero

ST. LOUIS - The Reds are planning to eliminate black from their uniforms next season, such as the trim around the wishbone "C" on the left chest of their white pinstriped home jerseys.

The change was first reported by ESPN.com, which also said the only reason the team will wait to do it is that there already is too much black and red merchandise on hand. That is not accurate, according to a Reds official.

Whenever a team makes any changes to its uniforms, Major League Baseball requires several months of lead time so its apparel manufacturers can have stock in place when it comes time to roll out the new gear. Because the decision was made by the new ownership group that didn't officially take over until January, the team will have to wait until the 2007 season to unveil new uniforms.

The Reds are considering using blue trim in some places, as they did in the 1960s, but that decision is not final yet.

Marc Lancaster

savafan
04-17-2006, 01:22 AM
MLB did hurt the Reds quite a bit by taking so long to approve the ownership change.

paintmered
04-17-2006, 09:21 AM
I still don't think it is for sure....

I feel like its not as substantiated as some here are making it.

We know. You've already told us ten times in this thread.

RFS62
04-17-2006, 10:06 AM
As I've said many times, the current style of vest looks like a regular uniform shirt where they just didn't add sleeves.

The vest style of the 60's was cut deeper and looked much better, IMO.

Johnny Footstool
04-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Black is a better complimentary color to red. Blue and red just don't mesh as well.

The only problem with the current uniforms is that black is overused. It should be used sparingly as a trim color. If they would just return to a solid red cap for home and away, a red undershirt for the away unis, and keep black as a minor trim color and alternate uni, very few people would complain.

Adding any blue to the uniforms will look like a mess.

westofyou
04-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Blue and red just don't mesh as well.

Just one place

http://www.texasambruzses.com/superman-logo-poster.jpg

Roy Tucker
04-17-2006, 11:25 AM
I am bad with colors. Just ask my wife. So any opinion from me would be from a seriously color-challenged viewpoint. If its not ROYGBIV, then forget it.

RANDY IN INDY
04-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Personally, I hope they stick with red, white and grey, but the use of navy will not look any worse than the black. The uniforms of the early 60's were very nice looking but the navy was used in a very limited way.

RANDY IN INDY
04-17-2006, 11:29 AM
As I've said many times, the current style of vest looks like a regular uniform shirt where they just didn't add sleeves.

The vest style of the 60's was cut deeper and looked much better, IMO.

Agree!:beerme:

Yachtzee
04-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Black is a better complimentary color to red. Blue and red just don't mesh as well.

What, red and blue don't mesh together? What about this?

:usa:

Why, you must be some sort of commie. ;)

RANDY IN INDY
04-17-2006, 11:57 AM
:laugh:

Johnny Footstool
04-17-2006, 12:01 PM
What, red and blue don't mesh together? What about this?

:usa:

Why, you must be some sort of commie. ;)

Da. I love the Reds.

vaticanplum
04-26-2006, 01:48 PM
I totally had a moratorium on my forum visits for today to get work done, but I just got an e-mail from my cousin saying the uniforms are definitely changing! Is this true? Hallelujah!

Does anybody have any information/photos?

Newman4
04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the current road uniforms with all the black. Black is my favorite color on sports uniforms and cars, but nothing else. In fact, 95% of the time I don't wear black clothes at all. (The other 5% is contributed to by Reds mechandise as well) The black with red trim on the road gear is intimidating in a Dale Earnhardt kinda way.

Shaknb8k
04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Im sure there are some photoshop people out there. I would love for some of them to give use a look at some different versions of what they think the uniforms might look like.

M2
04-26-2006, 02:00 PM
While I like the late 1960s uniforms the Reds wore, forget about retro. The Reds don't play in an overly retro park and they sure don't play retro baseball. I'd work off the motif that was the 2003 Sunday road uniform. Now there's a slick little bit of futurism.

Unassisted
04-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Im sure there are some photoshop people out there. I would love for some of them to give use a look at some different versions of what they think the uniforms might look like.Not sure about the shade of blue. I just turned everything that was black (except the shoes) into blue.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7536/redsblueunis8kb.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/333/redsblueunis26ph.jpg

Now that I've seen these, I sure hope the redesigned caps don't look so much like Cubs caps as these do. :(

MasonBuzz3
04-26-2006, 02:42 PM
here's a quick 'shop of the road uniforms IMO

CRedsLarkin11
04-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Wow, never thought the uniforms would mean this much to me but if that is what it looks like it's going to take a long while for me to get used to

MasonBuzz3
04-26-2006, 02:54 PM
and a quick home uniform

vaticanplum
04-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Not sure about the shade of blue. I just turned everything that was black (except the shoes) into blue.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7536/redsblueunis8kb.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/333/redsblueunis26ph.jpg

Now that I've seen these, I sure hope the redesigned caps don't look so much like Cubs caps as these do. :(

I like it.

I am sure the caps will be red, or I am transferring my fandom.

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 03:43 PM
The black with red trim on the road gear is intimidating in a Dale Earnhardt kinda way.
I'd agree except every other team in baseball is doing the same uniform, I think a little royal blue will be intimidating :D

macro
04-26-2006, 05:40 PM
I have read that Cast wants the caps to be all-red all the time. I certainly hope that's true. I hope the new sets are primarily red and white, with just a little navy as accent color. My preference would be red and white, period, though.

remdog
04-26-2006, 07:13 PM
I think that this thread has some relevance here: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45404

I really hate it when teams change colors, numbers, etc. in order to 'force' fans to buy more merchandise. It smacks of disingenuous motives.

Rem

Unassisted
04-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I have read that Cast wants the caps to be all-red all the time. I certainly hope that's true. I hope the new sets are primarily red and white, with just a little navy as accent color. My preference would be red and white, period, though.
Another version with red caps. I like it better.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7739/redsblueredunis3qa.jpg

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Nice work Unassisted, I'd like that look.

Heath
04-26-2006, 07:48 PM
As far as I am concerned, I would take Unassisted's pattern and make everything Red on the home, except for the deep blue in the CREDS logo and on outline of the hat to give it a 3-D look. On the road, I would make everything gray - with red undershirts and red belt and red socks with the same home hat (hey, the Dodgers & Yankees have only one hat!)

For fun, I'd like to see the '62 Home uniform as the "Throwback Sunday Special".

GullyFoyle
04-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Just don't mess with those guys. It's a well known "urban legend" of sorts that the Reds "C" hat is a symbol of the Cripps. At least that's what I red in an article somewhere.

I had a student with a reds jersey and hat on (red / black) and I asked him about it and all he said was that he wore it because he liked the colors... He wasn't the gang type. I suspect that's the case more times than not.

(I teach at a college in Sacramento)

westofyou
04-26-2006, 08:12 PM
(I teach at a college in Sacramento)JC?

I went to through the California JC system before UC

Larkin411
04-26-2006, 08:18 PM
The black doesn't bother me too much when used sparingly as a neutral color but I really don't like the way the long sleeves have that shading on the arm. It looks like they're suffering from profuse inner elbow sweat which is weird.

GullyFoyle
04-26-2006, 08:19 PM
JC?

I went to through the California JC system before UC

Nope, California State University Sacramento... going on 4 years now (almost tenure time).

Went to UC (University of Cincinnati, gets mixed up out here) for undergrad, grew up in Cincinnati.

GullyFoyle
04-26-2006, 08:35 PM
I prefer combinations that make use of the red pen-striping, but I'm happy to see the black go.

smith288
04-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Same colors as the Indians... blech.

RANDY IN INDY
04-26-2006, 10:01 PM
I don't think you will see a lot of navy blue in the new uniforms, if any. If I am a betting man, the belts and sleeves on all the uniforms will be red, and there will be little if any navy on the cap. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they bring back the '68-'71 home uniforms with a version of the '61-'66 vest style as an alternate home uniform. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the '61-'66 style as the road uniform with red belts, socks, and sleeves. I think the solid red caps with the white wishbone "C" will be the staple with both the home and road uniforms, with maybe some style of alternate that is worn sparingly.

I would be very happy with those uniforms, both home and road.

Big Klu
04-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Sounds familiar! :D

RedsBaron
04-26-2006, 10:43 PM
I don't think you will see a lot of navy blue in the new uniforms, if any. If I am a betting man, the belts and sleeves on all the uniforms will be red, and there will be little if any navy on the cap. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they bring back the '68-'71 home uniforms with a version of the '61-'66 vest style as an alternate home uniform. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the '61-'66 style as the road uniform with red belts, socks, and sleeves. I think the solid red caps with the white wishbone "C" will be the staple with both the home and road uniforms, with maybe some style of alternate that is worn sparingly.

I would be very happy with those uniforms, both home and road.
Randy, I wondering when you would put in a word to bring back the 1968-71 unifroms, which are your (and my) favorite. I totally agree with your post.

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Same colors as the Indians... blech.
Lets sue em.

Heath
04-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Lets sue em.

This is from a guy who wears a Cubs Hat? ;)

On Edit-sorry, a navy Reds hat from the '50's. My bad. :D

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Looks nothing like a cubs hat blind man :p:

corkedbat
04-27-2006, 12:00 AM
I think the ones with the Blue remind me too much of the Cubbies. Blech!

I kinda like the black, but I'm OK with anything if it's a vest or button-up, even some pinstripes, but please, please none of the knit pullovers of the mid-70's BRM era. I loved those teams and my memories of them, but not those unis!

Heath
04-27-2006, 12:07 AM

1928 Cubs ;)
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1928_chicago.gif

FWIW - 1954 Reds -

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1954_cincinnati.gif

corkedbat
04-27-2006, 12:12 AM

LOL Krono! I thought the same thing before I even saw your post.

KronoRed
04-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Dude..the C is way different on the hats..those pictures..lie

All about the C. :D

Heath
04-27-2006, 12:33 AM
Dude..the C is way different on the hats..those pictures..lie

All about the C. :D

Ok, Krono - I just took them from the Baseball HOF site.

I guess an entity that doesn't recognize the all-time hit leader sucks anyway and has no credibilty whatsoever ;)

KronoRed
04-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Word.

Heath
04-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Word.

For you "rookies" out here - that's how Krono get 40,000 posts. The dude is to point.

Krono posts to contact. And he's scrappy. But he doesn't have Raisor's chicks...

BuckWoody
04-27-2006, 10:09 AM
I'll go on record as saying I wouldn't mind replacing black with blue as an accent color...there is at least a history of it with the team. A variation of those '54 uniforms would look pretty sharp.

One thing, though; get rid of the trousers-to-the-shoes look. :thumbdown Put a little stirrup in there like the BRM and add a nice stripe or two for color and raise the pants to show the stockings! If you've ever seen the Dragons' uniforms they have a sweet look, a little stirrup showing and some nice green and white stipes at mid-calf.

They are called the Reds because of the color of their stockings, darn it, show the stockings!

:)

Chip R
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Krono posts to contact. And he's scrappy. But he doesn't have Raisor's chicks...

That's probably cause of the hat. ;)

vaticanplum
04-27-2006, 11:52 AM
I don't know if this was brought up and I missed it, but while searching for details on the new Tampa Bay high-socks rule, I came across this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060413

I know we were talking about the dotted undershirts (which, by the way, are featured in the most recent issue of the MLB catalog which inexplicably arrives at our home from time to time), but I was not aware that Brandon Claussen had been made to cut off his sleeves because of reflection from the light. That's crazy talk! (but good, I think the dotted shirts are fugly, and apparently a uniform violation as well)

Heath
04-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Take the dude who does the uni-watch picture and put it next to Al from Al's Toy Barn in 'Toy Story 2'. Separated at birth.

KronoRed
04-27-2006, 05:33 PM
For you "rookies" out here - that's how Krono get 40,000 posts. The dude is to point.

I don't post them, they are shy :beerme:

gm
04-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Cha-cha-cha-changes

http://www.startribune.com/1741/story/398355.html

Gotta love those purple pants...as long as they never wear them at home

gm
04-28-2006, 12:24 AM

"high cuts made you look long and cool...not dumpy and hot"

gm
04-28-2006, 12:51 AM
they sure don't play retro baseball.

the mid-1950's Reds say:wave:

beb30
05-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Anyone else hear about that? I was listening to the radio today and Marty says the uniforms will change in 2007 and that he believes they will go back to the Royal Blue and Red instead of the current Black and Red.....I guess something like how they used to be....

KronoRed
05-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Good news if true.

Unassisted
05-31-2006, 09:23 PM
There's a long discussion and some Redszone mockups of the proposed changes in this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44878).

RANDY IN INDY
05-31-2006, 10:11 PM
I never was aware that the Reds used royal blue in their uniforms. I remember navy, but not royal.

JEA
05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
I guess the buzz around the sports clothing industry is that the Reds will lose the vests completely. There was something on an industry blog or newsletter or something that a friend sent me. He was saying the new ownership wanted to go to a traditional sleeved jersey for home and the road. (I'm in favor.)

I've been reading a little into it, and based on the timetable for these things, I doubt the Reds have really finalized anything. With the first deadlines approaching for next year, the Reds are only required to declare their intent to change the uniforms and not necessarily what those changes will be made (for now). I was reading about the Devil Rays going through the same thing with their potential name and uniform changes over the last few weeks.

I wonder if Castellini and Co. are open to suggestions. I'd love to see the blue used (sparingly) again and the dropping of Mr. Red from the sleeves.

beb30
05-31-2006, 10:56 PM
I never was aware that the Reds used royal blue in their uniforms. I remember navy, but not royal.

Same here but Marty said Royal blue, maybe he meant Navy

alexad
05-31-2006, 11:26 PM
I wonder if Castellini and Co. are open to suggestions. I'd love to see the blue used (sparingly) again and the dropping of Mr. Red from the sleeves.

Mr. Red needs to be used on the jersey replacing the C in my opinion. YOu can not get rid of the Running Man. It is what Cincinnati is all about.

reds44
05-31-2006, 11:39 PM
I REALLY hope we make our Sunday home uni's from this year, our everyday home uni's.

I love those things.

reds44
05-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Mr. Red needs to be used on the jersey replacing the C in my opinion. YOu can not get rid of the Running Man. It is what Cincinnati is all about.
Why would you want to drop Mr. Red? If anything I want to see more of him.

butlerbulldogs
05-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Why would you want to drop Mr. Red? If anything I want to see more of him.

that is what he was saying

reds44
05-31-2006, 11:43 PM
that is what he was saying
Yeah I know, I was just adding to his post.

RBA
05-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Why Navy? What's wrong with Air Force blue? ;)

remdog
05-31-2006, 11:50 PM
First of all, I really like the current uniforms so I'd not be happy if they went to anything like the mockups in the previous thread on this subject. Those looked pretty lame to me. :thumbdown

Secondly, I absolutely dispise the thought of dropping the vests all together. They are part of the Cincinnati tradition going back to the '50's (in my personal experience). The image of Big Klu, standing at the plate sans sleeves is etched in my mind.

Rem

TeamBoone
06-01-2006, 12:16 AM

No way! The wishbone C is the Reds.

reds44
06-01-2006, 12:18 AM
First of all, I really like the current uniforms so I'd not be happy if they went to anything like the mockups in the previous thread on this subject. Those looked pretty lame to me. :thumbdown

Secondly, I absolutely dispise the thought of dropping the vests all together. They are part of the Cincinnati tradition going back to the '50's (in my personal experience). The image of Big Klu, standing at the plate sans sleeves is etched in my mind.

Rem
They are ok, but they almost seem too plain.

remdog
06-01-2006, 12:20 AM

I agree completely on that. Running man on the sleeve is OK but the wishbone C is historic. Seems to me there was a thread somewhere that showed that the Reds were the first team to use it. The Chicago Bears were copy cats---much to the chagrin of some of their fans. :laugh:

Rem

remdog
06-01-2006, 12:22 AM
They are ok, but they almost seem too plain.

Wasn't sure what you thought was too plain. The proposed mockups or the vests? Or something else?

Rem

reds44
06-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Wasn't sure what you thought was too plain. The proposed mockups or the vests? Or something else?

Rem
The mockups were pretty bad, but the vest I think are plain. For me home uni's sould be the Red ones. As for the road I don't know, I wouldn't mind seeing a blue and red combo, but they will probably have to be grey.

savafan
06-01-2006, 03:55 AM

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1869red.jpg

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1900red.jpg

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1901red.jpg

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1919red.jpg

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1919rred.jpg

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1932red.jpg

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1963reds.jpg

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1961rred.jpg

Just sayin'

RANDY IN INDY
06-01-2006, 07:55 AM
I would wager to say that the wishbone "C," throughout its evolution, has been more the staple on Reds uniforms than any other type of "C." I would have to agree with TeamBoone.

TeamBoone
06-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Just sayin'

I wasn't referring to ancient history. :D

When I think of the Reds, the Wishbone C automatically jumps into my head as their logo... not the ones you posted and not Mr. Red.

BuckWoody
06-01-2006, 10:41 AM
I agree completely on that. Running man on the sleeve is OK but the wishbone C is historic. Seems to me there was a thread somewhere that showed that the Reds were the first team to use it. The Chicago Bears were copy cats---much to the chagrin of some of their fans. :laugh:

Rem
The Bears were indeed copycats. They didn't use the wishbone "C" until 1962. Clicky. (http://www.chicagobears.com/history/uniform.jsp)

The Bears trademark 'C' logo appeared on helmets in 1962 and its use continues through present day although the mark has changed from white to orange and the shape has changed slightly. After 11 years, the white 'C' logo is colored orange with white trim in 1973 and still has the same look today.

Looks like 1905 was the first year the Reds used a wishbone-like "C". Clicky. (http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?t=56)

They can't do away with the basic uniform design of having the wishbone "C" on the cap, the "C" with "REDS" in it over the heart on the home jerseys, and the block "CINCINNATI" across the chest on the road jerseys. They can alter the color scheme and change from the vests but they've gotta keep that stuff constant, IMHO. ;)

I'm a big Mr. Red fan too...any way to incorporate him into the uni would be fine by me.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/buckwoody/mr_redleg.gif:thumbup:

beb30
06-01-2006, 10:45 AM

I really like this one (the C at least)

savafan
06-01-2006, 10:50 AM
There is the 1955 style hat. Do you think we'll see something like this next year?

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1955red.jpg

dabvu2498
06-01-2006, 10:53 AM
There is the 1955 style hat. Do you think we'll see something like this next year?

That's not too bad a look in and of itself. The uniforms themselves would have to be pretty "retro" to match the look of that hat.

Johnny Footstool
06-01-2006, 11:02 AM
I REALLY hope we make our Sunday home uni's from this year, our everyday home uni's.

I love those things.

Are you talking about the all-red jerseys? I agree - those are awesome.

RedLegSuperStar
06-01-2006, 01:53 PM

I love this hat!

Home - White cut-off jerseys w/ Navy sleeves - White pants
Road - Navy cut-off jerseys w/ Red sleeves - Grey pants
Alter. - Red either cut-off(w/ Navy sleeves) or sleeved Jersey - White pants
Alter. Hat - Red w/ Navy "C" (White Boarder)

Ok.. I must go lay between the mattress and box spring and hope no one every finds me because I feel like a fashion person.. Yikes!

vaticanplum
06-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Ok.. I must go lay between the mattress and box spring and hope no one every finds me because I feel like a fashion person.. Yikes!

There is nothing wrong with being a fashion person. If everyone looked his or her best, we would all feel better, make more friends, and there would be fewer wars. By caring about the Reds' uniforms, RedLegSuperStar, you can save the world.

I agree that you can't go wrong with the wishbone C. Apart from the Bears problem, it is a highly identifiable yet simple and elegant symbol of the Reds. I love Mr. Red, but I like him better on fan gear than on players' uniforms. He's too complicated, he can be mistaken for Mr. Met from a distance, and I don't think that anything with a face belongs on a baseball uniform. I prefer symbols.

RedLegSuperStar
06-01-2006, 02:56 PM
There is nothing wrong with being a fashion person. If everyone looked his or her best, we would all feel better, make more friends, and there would be fewer wars. By caring about the Reds' uniforms, RedLegSuperStar, you can save the world.

Thank You!

RedsBaron
06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
I would wager to say that the wishbone "C," throughout its evolution, has been more the staple on Reds uniforms than any other type of "C." I would have to agree with TeamBoone.
I agree also. The wishbone "C" brings to mind the greatest era in Reds history, the days of the Big Red Machine.

RANDY IN INDY
06-01-2006, 05:41 PM
I think that Red will be the predominant color of the new uniforms with navy blue being used much less than the current black is. I have heard that Castellini is a big fan of the solid red caps, and I am getting the feeling that he is a pretty "traditional" kind of guy when it comes to the Reds. Look for the blue to be very limited.

GullyFoyle
06-01-2006, 06:01 PM

I like this C so much I made an avatar from it, but I think it would be hard to incorporate into a uniform. I love the wishbone too, so either way.

I agree that the blue will probably be used less then the black currently is.

reds44
06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Yep the all red one's we wear on Sunday. I love those.

reds44
06-01-2006, 07:12 PM

Is it just more, or does that look too much like the Cubs hat?

KronoRed
06-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Not really, the C is different and they use a different shade of blue.

reds44
06-01-2006, 07:15 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/G-FORCE7/pG01-1839813_customback.jpg

Please make those our everyday home jersey's.

theGman
06-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Maybe sales will pick up in North Korea, Cuba and Venezuela ...

I think that's pretty much the historical point. The blue was added after WWII and into the 50's because of the cold war and the Reds not wanting to be linked to the Soviets. I bought my son a very cool pennant for his room that is a 1961 replica pennant. There is great symbolism on it from this era in Reds history. It says REDLEGS instead of Reds and it has Mr. Red flying on a baseball bat that looks like a rocket. Afterall, that is when the space race with the Soviets was taking place. It was hard being patriotic with a team name like Reds back then. I think the uniforms could be very interesting. I too dislike the black and can't wait to see what they come up with it.

westofyou
06-01-2006, 07:39 PM
I think that's pretty much the historical point. The blue was added after WWII and into the 50's because of the cold war and the Reds not wanting to be linked to the Soviets. I bought my son a very cool pennant for his room that is a 1961 replica pennant. There is great symbolism on it from this era in Reds history. It says REDLEGS instead of Reds and it has Mr. Red flying on a baseball bat that looks like a rocket. Afterall, that is when the space race with the Soviets was taking place. It was hard being patriotic with a team name like Reds back then. I think the uniforms could be very interesting. I too dislike the black and can't wait to see what they come up with it.
The Reds had Blue uniforms in the early 20th Century.

http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/bbc/1600/1660/1663fr.jpg

The Blue hat first showed up without the blue uniform in 1926.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1926_cincinnati.gif

Ltlabner
06-01-2006, 09:24 PM
With the exception of the hat, I like the above uniform. Prob a bit too old school for some, but I like it.

RANDY IN INDY
06-01-2006, 09:49 PM

:beerme:

Ltlabner
06-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Thats better. How about those uniforms with the white cap with red pinstripes and red C ?

Caveat Emperor
06-01-2006, 09:54 PM

Just sayin'

I love this hat. I love this logo. The wishbone "C" may be "Cincinnati" -- but it's also "Chicago" in the NFL and the "Cities" half of "Twin Cities" on the Twins hat as well.

I'd like the ballclub to have a logo that is it's own.

RANDY IN INDY
06-01-2006, 10:03 PM

The only thing not correct about their depiction of that uniform is the belt loops on the pants. They were not the regular tunnel belt loops that we see on most baseball uniforms. The loops were similar to those worn on regular pants, and the only other team that wears that type are the Detroit Tigers. Take a look at the belt loops on the Tigers pants on ESPN tonight against the Yankees and you will see the difference.

RANDY IN INDY
06-01-2006, 10:04 PM
I love this hat. I love this logo. The wishbone "C" may be "Cincinnati" -- but it's also "Chicago" in the NFL and the "Cities" half of "Twin Cities" on the Twins hat as well.

I'd like the ballclub to have a logo that is it's own.

The Reds didn't copy. They were the originals, and as far as I'm concerned, it is their own.

GAC
06-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Gee- and maybe we can design our uni's to look even more like the Cubs or Dodgers. :lol:

I have no problem with the current uniforms (even when they added the black).

But I'd dump Gapper and bring this guy back....

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/Baseball/NL/CIN_2967.gif

Ltlabner
06-01-2006, 10:25 PM
GAC, do you think the uni's in post #225 look like LA or the Cubs? Hummmm interesting. I don't see it.

Then again, my eye glasses perscription needs updated too.

Yachtzee
06-01-2006, 11:15 PM

:beerme:

Uniform Perfection :beerme:

Caveat Emperor
06-01-2006, 11:29 PM
The Reds didn't copy. They were the originals, and as far as I'm concerned, it is their own.

The Bears starting wearing the "C" in the 1970s, Minnesota started using the TC design featuring the wishbone-C in 1961. The Reds wishbone-C design predates both of those by a solid 50 years.

But it doesn't change the fact that they're now sharing the design with other teams. I'd venture if you took a survey, at least 50% of people would recognize the wishbone-C as the logo of the Chicago Bears as opposed to the Cincinnati Reds. Who "originally" holds the design is less important, from a marketing standpoint, than who the design is associated with.

I'd rather have something to call my own (and something that dates back to the original logo), but that's just my opinion.

Yachtzee
06-01-2006, 11:58 PM
The Bears starting wearing the "C" in the 1970s, Minnesota started using the TC design featuring the wishbone-C in 1961. The Reds wishbone-C design predates both of those by a solid 50 years.

But it doesn't change the fact that they're now sharing the design with other teams. I'd venture if you took a survey, at least 50% of people would recognize the wishbone-C as the logo of the Chicago Bears as opposed to the Cincinnati Reds. Who "originally" holds the design is less important, from a marketing standpoint, than who the design is associated with.

I'd rather have something to call my own (and something that dates back to the original logo), but that's just my opinion.

Bears? Who are the Bears? I don't think people outside Chicago associate the Bears with anything but bad football. ;)

I don't think you can get rid of the wishbone C at this point anymore than you can get rid of the Tiffany "NY" on the Yankees' hats. There would be rioting in the streets, dogs and cats living together....

RFS62
06-02-2006, 12:00 AM
I've run across people in different parts of the country who thought I was wearing a Chicago Bears hat. None of them knew diddly squat about baseball though.

Caveat Emperor
06-02-2006, 12:09 AM
I don't think you can get rid of the wishbone C at this point anymore than you can get rid of the Tiffany "NY" on the Yankees' hats. There would be rioting in the streets, dogs and cats living together....

You're probably right.

My knowledge of patent law barely exceeds a sentence or two, but I'm actually curious why the Reds never copyrighted their Wishbone-C logo or, if they have a copyright, why they've never sued the Bears for infringement.

Yachtzee
06-02-2006, 12:22 AM
You're probably right.

My knowledge of patent law barely exceeds a sentence or two, but I'm actually curious why the Reds never copyrighted their Wishbone-C logo or, if they have a copyright, why they've never sued the Bears for infringement.

I don't think you can copyright the wishbone C. You can only register it as a trademark. Whereas copyright and patent protection is strong (based on the patent and copyright clause of the Constitution), trademark protection is weaker. Congress was able to get the Lanham Act protecting trademarks through under the commerce clause, and much of the law is still based on state common law protection from unfair competition. One of the key differences is that trademarks must be distinct in order to warrant protection and must be zealously defended in order to maintain their distinctive quality.

Maybe Cincinnati Chili will drop in and give us more details. I think he has an interest in IP Law.

macro
06-02-2006, 01:01 AM

Is it just more, or does that look too much like the Cubs hat?

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1955cub.jpg
You were probably talking about today's Cubs caps, but check out what they wore in the 1950s. If I'm not mistaken, the Reds and Cubs were wearing these caps at the same time! (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

KronoRed
06-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Just because it's blue doesn't mean it's cubs ;)

remdog
06-02-2006, 01:25 AM
I don't think you can copyright the wishbone C. You can only register it as a trademark. Whereas copyright and patent protection is strong (based on the patent and copyright clause of the Constitution), trademark protection is weaker. Congress was able to get the Lanham Act protecting trademarks through under the commerce clause, and much of the law is still based on state common law protection from unfair competition. One of the key differences is that trademarks must be distinct in order to warrant protection and must be zealously defended in order to maintain their distinctive quality.

Maybe Cincinnati Chili will drop in and give us more details. I think he has an interest in IP Law.

There is a thing called 'trade dress' which applies to the appearance/packageing. The Reds could approach it from that standpoint but it comes down to whether it's worth the time and money.

Rem

savafan
06-02-2006, 02:41 AM
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/704.gif
1890-1899

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7255.gif

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7256.gif
1901-1904

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7257.gif

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7258.gif
1906-1907

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7259.gif
1908-1912

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7260.gif

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7261.gif

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7262.gif
1915-1919

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7263.gif
1920-1935

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7265.gif

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7264.gif
1937-1938

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/2916.gif
1939-1953

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/7266.gif
1954-1960

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/2918.gif
1961-1966

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/2919.gif
1967-1971

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/706.gif
1972-1992

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/715.gif
1993-1998

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/teams/primaries/705.gif
1999-present

Ron Madden
06-02-2006, 06:47 AM

The only thing not correct about their depiction of that uniform is the belt loops on the pants. They were not the regular tunnel belt loops that we see on most baseball uniforms. The loops were similar to those worn on regular pants, and the only other team that wears that type are the Detroit Tigers. Take a look at the belt loops on the Tigers pants on ESPN tonight against the Yankees and you will see the difference.

I hope they choose this uniform style without the pin stripes. :thumbup:

alexad
06-02-2006, 08:33 AM
I do not mind the black. I guess with our high school colors red and black, it looks nice. In fact my rookie league team is the red team and they want to call themselves the Cincinnati Reds.

But anyway. I would like to see the running man on the front of the jersey instead of a wishbone C with Reds in it. I saw a Nike shirt that was white with a red stripe on it. It had Griffey 3 on the back. It was the neatest shirt I had ever seen. It was a medium and I wear an XXL so I had to pass on it.

But I like the running man and the Reds need to find creative ways to use it. The running man with the number 27 on it. That to me is the Cincinnati Reds. I love that logo. I hate the wishbone C with Reds in it. It is too plain to me.

GAC
06-02-2006, 09:34 AM
GAC, do you think the uni's in post #225 look like LA or the Cubs? Hummmm interesting. I don't see it.

Then again, my eye glasses perscription needs updated too.

No. Not in those pics. That was posted after my response. I was referring to the one posted earlier by woy. And also a hat design (below)

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1936_cincinnati.gif

GAC
06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
I always liked this style, growing up in the 60's.

http://www.mirandala.org/images/pete%20rose.jpg

http://www.vintagecardtraders.org/virtual/64topps/64topps-420.jpg

vaticanplum
06-02-2006, 11:14 AM

I did not know that about the belt loops. Very interesting.

Those uniforms are absolutely beautiful. I truly believe that if the Reds adopted them, they would start a trend. And that would make me so happy.

This is one of the most WONDERFUL things about baseball, that the uniforms have changed relatively little in comparison to other sports, but enough so that the older ones have, in my opinion, a little more gravity to them. I've seen (on TV) two teams in old-timey uniforms this year -- the Padres and the White Sox -- and both of them looked like they belonged in 2006, only they looked really, really good. Bring old uniforms back, make sure they're not wool anymore, and you're good to go.

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 11:56 AM
to me, i think cincinnati should be spelled out across on both uni's, not just away. i like that more

BuckWoody
06-02-2006, 12:54 PM
to me, i think cincinnati should be spelled out across on both uni's, not just away. i like that more
FWIW, tradition holds that you wear your nickname across the front at home and your city across the front on the road.

vaticanplum
06-02-2006, 01:16 PM
FWIW, tradition holds that you wear your nickname across the front at home and your city across the front on the road.

My Baltimore fan friends go absolutely bananas over this. Angelos refuses to put the cities on the jerseys; they view it as a personal affront.

BuckWoody
06-02-2006, 02:11 PM
My Baltimore fan friends go absolutely bananas over this. Angelos refuses to put the cities on the jerseys; they view it as a personal affront.
I'm sure that's not the only complaint they have about Angelos. ;)

savafan
06-02-2006, 02:30 PM
I always liked this style, growing up in the 60's.

http://www.mirandala.org/images/pete%20rose.jpg

http://www.vintagecardtraders.org/virtual/64topps/64topps-420.jpg

I love that style as well. I owned a couple of those caps and wore them a lot. Unfortunately when I sweated in them the Red from the "C" bled into the white of the hat.

RANDY IN INDY
06-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Interesting that in all the improvements that they have made in caps that they bled through. I don't really recall too much bleeding through in the 60's, but maybe I am just not remembering well. Pretty sure that the sweat bands in the caps were probably leather, as opposed to cloth, back in the 60's and I don't know if that was what kept them from bleeding then.

Big Klu
06-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Interesting that in all the improvements that they have made in caps that they bled through. I don't really recall too much bleeding through in the 60's, but maybe I am just not remembering well. Pretty sure that the sweat bands in the caps were probably leather, as opposed to cloth, back in the 60's and I don't know if that was what kept them from bleeding then.

Also, don't forget that players go through several caps during the course of a season. Whenever their cap stats looking bad, they get a new one.