PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Newest Baseball Theory

Jpup
04-14-2006, 07:56 AM
The baseballs are juiced...again. Mike and Mike have been going on and on about it this morning. They just played a clip from "Hawk" Harrelson and he thinks the balls are juiced as well.

any thoughts?

Chip R
04-14-2006, 08:01 AM
The baseballs are juiced...again. Mike and Mike have been going on and on about it this morning. They just played a clip from "Hawk" Harrelson and he thinks the balls are juiced as well.

any thoughts?

Well, if Mike and Mike and the Hawkeroo think the balls are juiced, then it must be true.

Jpup
04-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Well, if Mike and Mike and the Hawkeroo think the balls are juiced, then it must be true.

I wasn't agreeing with them, I was just wondering if anyone had the same thoughts. :p:

Jpup
04-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Hey Chip, go ahead and close the thread. I didn't see this one on the same topic. sorry.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44895

paintmered
04-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey Chip, go ahead and close the thread. I didn't see this one on the same topic. sorry.

No worries, that thread is in Reds Live. This one will remain open.

traderumor
04-14-2006, 09:21 AM

any thoughts?Don't balls shrink when they're on the juice?

Blimpie
04-14-2006, 09:47 AM
I love how ESPN is now pimping the fact that the balls are juiced again...yet, I can't turn on the TV without hearing that Barry Bonds has zero HRs and but 1 RBI through his first sixteen at bats.

Crosley68
04-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Muckraking is alive and well. When things are slow in the "journalistic" field, they have to have something to get people's attention.

GAC
04-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Don't balls shrink when they're on the juice?

Mine don't. ;)

BuckeyeRedleg
04-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I could see them juicing them up so that there is not a considerable drop-off in HR production, since most players that were once taking steroids are no longer. A level HR graph from year to year, added with increased drug testing, may lead fans to believe that the steroid "problem" was not as bad as most first thought. The game could only gain from this perception, even if it is a lie. Of course, it doesn't help matters when your baseball journalists and media members are pointing it out (true or not). You'd think, for the sake of their own careers, they'd want the least amount of controversy as possible for the game they sell to the public. Why bite off the hand that feeds ya?

FWIW, I don't think they're juiced. It would be stupid to take that chance, especially considering that the game doesn't need more bad pub right now. Nothing would surprise me though.

registerthis
04-14-2006, 12:02 PM
No-freakin-way does Milton have a sub-3.00 ERA with juiced baseballs. No way on Earth.

westofyou
04-14-2006, 12:08 PM
In 1943 due to wartime restrictions, the Ball was really affected by a cement they used, the Reds GM was really the guy that stirred up the revolt about it after they had a Run Differential of 13-9 in April.

Chip R
04-14-2006, 12:12 PM
We've been hearing on and off for years and maybe they have been juicing the balls and maybe they haven't. But what I'd like to know is let's say they juiced up the ball 15 years ago. Then they juiced it up some more 3-4 years later. Then they juiced it up again another 3-4 years down the road. Then they did it again this year. My question is, how much can you continue to juice a ball? How tight can you pull that yarn before you can't pull it any tighter? Are they manufacturing some kind of synthetic cork that makes the ball jump farther?

BuckeyeRedleg
04-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Maybe they should X-ray the darn things and make sure that a Pro V1 hasn't been implanted into the core.

TeamBoone
04-14-2006, 12:31 PM

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 02:34 PM
It's been juiced for years, now it's more juiced since the players aren't ;)

SteelSD
04-16-2006, 01:24 AM
I've always felt that the theory of baseballs being "juiced" could easily be solved with the application of technology.

The world can build golf balls that fly further than the last, but can't figure out if a baseball from 2006 is different from one that was hurled in 2005?

Do some stinkin' compression testing. Doesn't seem that difficult to me.

westofyou
04-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Are the balls juiced, have they been before?

http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006/04/15/once-again-it-must-be-the-ball/

Marc D
04-16-2006, 11:09 AM
I bet you won't find many affiliated with the Marlins, Giants or Padres saying the ball is juiced.

The media in general, and ESPIN specifically, take far more away from my enjoyment of sports than they bring to it. I've gotten to the point where I just watch the games and ignore the rest as much as humanly possible. If they would just get rid of game announcers I could watch without the mute button on.

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 03:51 PM
You know what else could be juiced?

The bats

;)

Deepred05
04-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Don't balls shrink when they're on the juice?
Line of the day!!!! :D