PDA

View Full Version : Expectations For Cardinals Series?

redsfan30
04-14-2006, 03:00 PM
The Reds are 6-3 heading into the new Busch Stadium for a 3 game weekend set. The team for most part (minus the bullpen and defense) has played well. The starting pitching has been great since the season began. But we all know St. Louis is a very tough place to play, and the middle of thier order can make even the best pitching staffs look weak.

Here are the pitching matchups:

Tonight: Harang vs. Carpenter
Tomorrow: Williams vs. Ponson
Sunday: Arroyo vs. Mulder

I'd say this series is about as big as a series this early in April can be. A good performance should not warrant the printing of playoff tickets and likewise a poor performance should not warrant giving up on the rest of the season.

So, what are your expectations and/or hopes for the next three days?

Red Leader
04-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Realistically, we'll probably lose tonight and tomorrow, and have a good shot at winning on Sunday with Arroyo on the mound.

Tonight's game is a loss in my book. Even though Harang is on the hill, Carpenter is one tough pitcher. If the Reds pull out a "W" tonight, they have an extremely good chance of taking the series.

Tomorrow's game is a toss up. In a toss up, I'll take the home team and give the Cards a win. I think Dave Williams will get crushed by Pujols and Rolen as well.

Sunday is the one game I think the Reds absolutely have to win. Arroyo will pitch well and Mulder can be hit. We should not leave St. Louis 0-3.

reds44
04-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Realistically, we'll probably lose tonight and tomorrow, and have a good shot at winning on Sunday with Arroyo on the mound.

Tonight's game is a loss in my book. Even though Harang is on the hill, Carpenter is one tough pitcher. If the Reds pull out a "W" tonight, they have an extremely good chance of taking the series.

Tomorrow's game is a toss up. In a toss up, I'll take the home team and give the Cards a win. I think Dave Williams will get crushed by Pujols and Rolen as well.

Sunday is the one game I think the Reds absolutely have to win. Arroyo will pitch well and Mulder can be hit. We should not leave St. Louis 0-3.
We should be able to pound on Ponson Saturday.

Heath
04-14-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm realistically inclined to say that getting out of St. Louis alive would be a plus.

0-3 wouldn't be liked, but it could be expected.

I'd take 1-3 or 2-1 or 3-0....

Red Leader
04-14-2006, 03:49 PM
We should be able to pound on Ponson Saturday.

Yeah, unfortunately on the Cards forum they are probably saying:

We will be able to pound on Dave Williams on Saturday.

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Pain.

LincolnparkRed
04-14-2006, 04:20 PM
I just hope we get into the Cards bullpen, because all of them have been hit so far this year. I especially like our chances vs. isringhausen down 2 or closer.

But 1-2 wouldn't have me standing on any ledges.