PDA

View Full Version : Once again, a thread is closed with no explanation...

max venable
04-14-2006, 08:43 PM
...and for a reason that's not obvious either.

The Thinking of You, Todd thread.

And it was closed...why?

It's in the non-baseball chatter area. I don't get it. And it's not the first time a fun and entertaining thread got whacked without explanation or what seems like a good reason. It seems like some people just like closing thread that they don't personally like. It's bogus.

Don't thump me, Paint...I;m just sayin'.

Reds4Life
04-14-2006, 09:04 PM
You could have just PM'ed paint and asked instead of starting a new thread to whine about it.

The Baumer
04-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Whenever a thread is closed I always assume it was Mary Poppins who did it, because Mary Poppins always knew what was best for the children.

max venable
04-14-2006, 09:33 PM
You could have just PM'ed paint and asked instead of starting a new thread to whine about it.
Right...'cause we'd rather not discuss things...publicly?

OK.

remdog
04-14-2006, 11:19 PM

It's a legitimate question, not whining. Your characterization, as such, comes across as condesending. Why go behind closed doors? What's to be afraid of? The mods are here to serve the constituency because, without them, there is no board. If a constituent has a question it's fair game to bring it to the attention of all that participate.

Rem

Crash Davis
04-15-2006, 02:01 AM

I was wondering the same thing max venable was. There didn't appear to be any reason to close the thread. Better than 20 of us sending a PM to the mod, maybe we can get an answer this way.

MrCinatit
04-15-2006, 07:37 AM
I give my point of view from another point of view:
In my eyes, the thread had become repetative, a bit spamish, and had long outlived its usefulness. Some threads naturally have short shelf lives and are destined for the clamp.

Dom Heffner
04-15-2006, 09:54 AM
It was the strangest thread I'd ever seen. Loved it.

Falls City Beer
04-15-2006, 10:07 AM
I paid no attention to the thread, but maybe it was because it was taking up space? I don't know, just a thought.

remdog
04-15-2006, 10:19 AM
It was 32 posts. The last game thread was over 750 posts. How much effort is it for a mod to say, 'I'm going to close this thread if it doesn't get back on topic....' or, 'I closed this thread because....'?

Closing it simply because one mod feels like it and just slams it shut without explaination is flat out rude and discourtious to the members that are interested in that thread.

Rem

KronoRed
04-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Was anyone really interested in that thread?

80% of the posts were NM :dunno:

savafan
04-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Was anyone really interested in that thread?

80% of the posts were NM :dunno:

I thought it was funny, and could have been classic.

WMR
04-15-2006, 02:54 PM
If it isn't hurting anyone, why not let people enjoy themselves?

If you don't find it humorous or interesting... don't read it?

paintmered
04-15-2006, 03:12 PM
I give my point of view from another point of view:
In my eyes, the thread had become repetative, a bit spamish, and had long outlived its usefulness. Some threads naturally have short shelf lives and are destined for the clamp.

That sums it up well.

The Baumer
04-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I think people get too mod-happy on message boards. Anytime anyone posts a link to something that belongs to them, it's considered spam. The term spam should be reserved for those posters who sign up, post once, and then leave forever. If a contributive member wants to share a link of his that pertains to the Cincinnati Reds I think he should, even if it is an eBay auction. Some people buy Reds stuff on eBay and would appreciate that kind of link.

Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind closing that other thread. Was it stupid? Yeah. But since when does a thread have to be serious or life changing in order to exist? People were having fun being silly, why turn the water hose off on the kids when they are having fun playing in the yard? Beyond just that, no one came forward to why it was closed. They waited until another poster came up with a decent reason and just quoted it and said "Yeah, that there is why I did it".

In summation, don't be mod-happy. Closing a lame thread about the initials NM won't keep us any safer from the dreaded religious and political threads or evil spams.

paintmered
04-15-2006, 03:32 PM
They waited until another poster came up with a decent reason and just quoted it and said "Yeah, that there is why I did it".

I haven't been on redszone since last night. So that was the first time I saw the complaint.

In short, the first post was a private manner (which has never been allowed around here) and the thread was hijacked from there.

WVRed
04-15-2006, 04:49 PM
That sums it up well.

Don't get me wrong on this, you guys do a great job, but what makes that thread different from this one?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38416

If anything, that thread reminds me of the "Last Person to Post" that I thought were being closed down.

TeamBoone
04-15-2006, 04:57 PM
I agree with those who posted... what's the harm?

The thing that bothers me more is that threads are often closed with no explanation. Sometimes you can guess, but not always. If the mod closing the thread would give a brief reason, I think it would be appreciated by all.

Reds4Life
04-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Don't get me wrong on this, you guys do a great job, but what makes that thread different from this one?

If anything, that thread reminds me of the "Last Person to Post" that I thought were being closed down.

You are right, it's served it's useful purpose. Time to close it.

Caveat Emperor
04-15-2006, 06:07 PM

If anything that thread was like the "official RedsZone running gag depository." I'm somewhat sorry to see it go. I think there's a place for good-natured silliness so long as it doesn't get completely out of hand. It's a long season, after all.

BoydsOfSummer
04-16-2006, 01:03 AM
nm

:D

max venable
04-16-2006, 09:51 AM
AND THEN...my "Holy Grail of Reds memorabilia" thread gets shut down. Mod who closed it says I was spamming you all with it. Here's what I PMed the mod who closed it (and edited my posts):

form of spam, huh? I'm sorry, but I don't get it. It's a very unique piece of Reds memorabilia that Redszoners, of all people, might have a genuine interest in.

It's one thing to close the thread...at least you gave an explanation...I appreciate that, but to edit the post, too? I got feedback and pm's from several 'zoners who appreciated being able to look at (and dream about) owning a piece like that.

So you're saying that if we find something very intresting related to our Reds on eBay, we can't link to it on Redzone to share the discovery, huh?

I don't get it.

I just think our mods get on power trips sometimes and it's frustrating to many of us.

Thanks for taking time to read this and let me voice my opinion.

savafan
04-16-2006, 11:41 AM
I think people get too mod-happy on message boards. Anytime anyone posts a link to something that belongs to them, it's considered spam. The term spam should be reserved for those posters who sign up, post once, and then leave forever. If a contributive member wants to share a link of his that pertains to the Cincinnati Reds I think he should, even if it is an eBay auction. Some people buy Reds stuff on eBay and would appreciate that kind of link.

I think that is a valid point. I know myself, and a few others, have posted threads in the past linking to ebay auctions, of Reds memorabilia that wasn't mine, and they weren't locked.

RANDY IN INDY
04-16-2006, 01:30 PM
AND THEN...my "Holy Grail of Reds memorabilia" thread gets shut down. Mod who closed it says I was spamming you all with it. Here's what I PMed the mod who closed it (and edited my posts):

All I can say is "Wow.":rolleyes: Max has been around long enough to deserve better than that.

max venable
04-16-2006, 02:51 PM
I think that is a valid point. I know myself, and a few others, have posted threads in the past linking to ebay auctions, of Reds memorabilia that wasn't mine, and they weren't locked.
Oh well. Thanks to many of you who help me make my points better than I can make them myself.

Just a theory: some of the mods could be people who have little or no authority elsewhere so they like to flex their muscles online. The thing that burns me the most is the condescending attitude they sometimes display. Oh well. Guess that's just life.

I still love Redszone. And I appreciate the mods...just trying to voice my opinion.

04-16-2006, 02:56 PM
I've linked to a few items on eBay too, because I thought there might be some interest on here, not necessarily because someone might be interested in bidding, but because of pkain old interest in the item. Never spam. Guess I'll keep it to myself from now on.

TeamCasey
04-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I've seen EBay items here now and then. It doesn't seem that they're overdone. I never realized there was a rule against it.

I think it's nice that Max offered up such a precious artifact to the folks here.

My 2 cents ....... which is worth about 2 cents. ;)

max venable
04-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Ya know, the more I think about it...it would have been rude of me not to let Redszoner know about it.

C'est la vie.

I get the "spamming thing." Nobody appreciates that. But spam is not what I was doing. I'm not some Yay-hoo coming in to RZ trying to unload memorabilia. Heck, I'm not even a dealer. Oh well.

Thanks, everyone, for backing me. I appreciate all your supportive PMs.

--Max

guttle11
04-16-2006, 04:22 PM

The 10 is taking over.:runaway:

Reds Nd2
04-16-2006, 04:29 PM
You are right, it's served it's useful purpose. Time to close it.

Aww man. That thread was funny. Just remember, you can close the thread but the 10 will live forever. :)

Reds Nd2
04-16-2006, 04:30 PM
I wish the mods would close down Pujols. Just hit number two today.

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 04:48 PM
I support the mods, especially if they close Pujols down ;)

max venable
04-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Apparently...they can't.

WMR
04-16-2006, 05:47 PM

I hate the idea of missing out on getting to check out something as cool as that in the future.

Several months ago a RZ'er posted a thread about some old Pete Rose and JB SI's that they were looking to sell. I was fortunate enough to purchase them and they're now framed and proudly displayed...

Things like Max's auction and those SI's should be brought to the attention of RZ'ers, definitely not labeled as spam.

Caveat Emperor
04-16-2006, 05:54 PM

Someone should create an "Albert Pujols" account so that we can all just neg it into oblivion whenever we get frustrated.

max venable
04-16-2006, 06:02 PM
So the "10" thread has been closed. Here's what the mod said:

This thread is way off topic and has served it's purpose. Time to end it.

Time to end it...that right...because ONE person wants to close it. Okay...doesn't matter that others are enjoying it. Doesn't matter that it's in the "noon-baseball chatter" part of the site.

I am MODERATOR...hear me roar!

Albert Pujols
04-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Someone should create an "Albert Pujols" account so that we can all just neg it into oblivion whenever we get frustrated.
:p:

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 06:05 PM
It was a spam thread, those get closed down, even if they are fun.

Have fun in other threads :dunno:

savafan
04-16-2006, 06:48 PM

But the question then becomes, as soon as a thread becomes "fun", is it going to be closed simply because it may have veered off topic, even if it isn't trolling or bashing of other posters or beating subjects to death?

On April 1, one poster posted something like 10 or so threads on the non-baseball forum, all of which were articles from the Weekly World News. This is the definition of spam, and yet not a single one of those threads was locked or removed, even though they created little discussion.

remdog
04-16-2006, 06:56 PM
It was a spam thread, those get closed down, even if they are fun.

Well, here's a rhetorical question for you: shouldn't 40,000+ posts be considered spam? Especially since the poster seems to think he is having 'fun'. ;)

Rem

redsfanmia
04-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Im shocked that this thread hasnt been closed yet.

savafan
04-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Im shocked that this thread hasnt been closed yet.

I don't think this thread is particularly inflammatory, but dissension isn't always bad.

MrCinatit
04-16-2006, 07:29 PM
I'll just throw in a couple of observations which hold true for not only RedZone, but other sites:

Moderators are people.
People are prone to mistakes and their own opinions.
When a moderator makes a mistake or expresses their opinion, it is not the end of the world.
This is a website - the lives, workplace heiarchy and so forth is completely irrelevent in the cyber world.
This is Boss' and GIK's website - our opinions and views are thanks to their work.
If a moderator does wrong, in the end it is up to Boss or GIK to correct this, not the rest of the community.
The rest of the community does have a right to complain, but once again in the end (see above for the rest).
Users on a website are people - people tend to disagree with each other. We are allowed to disagree. But, we are also allowed to understand.

paintmered
04-16-2006, 08:33 PM
On April 1, one poster posted something like 10 or so threads on the non-baseball forum, all of which were articles from the Weekly World News. This is the definition of spam, and yet not a single one of those threads was locked or removed, even though they created little discussion.

They were not locked, but I did tell the poster to stop - and he did.

So why the different responses? It's actually quite simple: threads that veer off topic have a large amount of inertia to fight if I try to get them back on topic. It's easier to change the mind of one poster via warning than it is a dozen. I've tried it many times before - trust me, it falls on deaf ears. In the threads mentioned by sava, I was only dealing with one poster. There's a fundamental difference between the two situations and as a result, I handled them differently.

Believe me, I wish this moderating thing was as cut and dry as you all believe it to be. We wouldn't be having this discussion if it was.

WVRed
04-16-2006, 08:52 PM
So the "10" thread has been closed. Here's what the mod said:

Time to end it...that right...because ONE person wants to close it. Okay...doesn't matter that others are enjoying it. Doesn't matter that it's in the "noon-baseball chatter" part of the site.

I am MODERATOR...hear me roar!

This isn't just about people "enjoying" a thread. It takes precious bandwidth to run this site, and these threads that gather up 5,000+ replies eat up the bandwidth and slow the board down.

Do you want to come here and have to wait forever for the pages to load? I don't, and I speak from experience as it was my thread that started this whole thing.

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, here's a rhetorical question for you: shouldn't 40,000+ posts be considered spam? Especially since the poster seems to think he is having 'fun'. ;)

Rem
Weren't you one of the chief people calling for certain threads to be closed down because they didn't have anything to do with the Reds?

How are those threads (at least the ones over here) different?

creek14
04-16-2006, 09:26 PM
If a thread has outlived its usefulness it will fall off the first page. If it isn't violating rules then it shouldn't be locked.

max venable
04-16-2006, 09:27 PM
If a thread has outlived its usefulness it will fall off the first page. If it isn't violating rules then it shouldn't be locked.
:clap:

Caseyfan21
04-16-2006, 10:34 PM

I think a blanket policy needs to be taken on threads linking to Ebay. There is currently another thread linking to an Ebay auction in Redslive where the thread starter is clearly not the seller. If I had my thread shut down then I would be upset why another thread linking to Ebay was allowed. All it would take is someone to start a thread and claim to not be the seller. How would anyone know otherwise unless the Ebay and Redszone nicknames were the same?

The mods need to get together and decide which types of Ebay threads to allow. I can see why they wouldn't want to allow a thread for people personally selling items. If they allow the Holy Grail thread (as a recent example) then I could put up a thread in the non-baseball section advertising my selling of old pairs of shoes (for example).

I think that a sensible policy would be to allow all threads linking to interesting, worthwhile Reds related Ebay auctions to be allowed. I know that I post on Dave Matthews Band message boards and this is the policy they take. For example, I think the only Ebay related threads allowed should be ones linked to extraordinary items such as valuable autographs or rare collectibles, not everyday baseball cards.

I'm pretty neutral on the topic, but if I had been the one to have my thread closed and then see another thread allowed, I would be upset. I think if there is a policy in place, there would be no discussion on thread closings and everyone would be treated the exact same.

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 10:36 PM
You could have a sticked thread for Ebay/other auction site items, so it wouldn't lead to a bunch of "Ebay topics" in the forum (if that's the worry)

paintmered
04-16-2006, 10:37 PM
The mods need to get together and decide which types of Ebay threads to allow.

We are discussing the policy as you post this.

RBA
04-16-2006, 10:42 PM
"Don't Thread on Me"

or rather
Time for Fun Facts...

Don't Tread on Me Flag (Gadsden Flag)

First flown aboard a Colonial Troop ship on January 4th, 1776

This was the flag of the American Colonies at the time of the American Revolution against England.

It features a rattlesnake above the warning, "DON'T TREAD ON ME". The rattlesnake had become a traditional symbol of the American Colonies. The most obvious reason for this is that the rattlesnake was only found in the American Colonies (and in abundance, to the dismay of settlers) and nowhere else in the world. The origin of the slogan (Don't Tread On Me) pertains to the snake's deadly strike and the idea that it is best to leave them alone.

The snake on the flag is also roughly arranged in the shape of the American Colonies with the tip of the tail being the Florida peninsula and the head being New England.

In summary, it's sometimes best to leave some threads alone.

savafan
04-16-2006, 10:52 PM
I think a blanket policy needs to be taken on threads linking to Ebay. There is currently another thread linking to an Ebay auction in Redslive where the thread starter is clearly not the seller. If I had my thread shut down then I would be upset why another thread linking to Ebay was allowed. All it would take is someone to start a thread and claim to not be the seller. How would anyone know otherwise unless the Ebay and Redszone nicknames were the same?

The mods need to get together and decide which types of Ebay threads to allow. I can see why they wouldn't want to allow a thread for people personally selling items. If they allow the Holy Grail thread (as a recent example) then I could put up a thread in the non-baseball section advertising my selling of old pairs of shoes (for example).

I think that a sensible policy would be to allow all threads linking to interesting, worthwhile Reds related Ebay auctions to be allowed. I know that I post on Dave Matthews Band message boards and this is the policy they take. For example, I think the only Ebay related threads allowed should be ones linked to extraordinary items such as valuable autographs or rare collectibles, not everyday baseball cards.

I'm pretty neutral on the topic, but if I had been the one to have my thread closed and then see another thread allowed, I would be upset. I think if there is a policy in place, there would be no discussion on thread closings and everyone would be treated the exact same.

In the past, I've started posts on the non-baseball forum about ebay auctions of odd, strange or just flat out weird auctions. For example, like the woman who was auctioning off getting a tatoo advertising for a company on her face.

There comes a point when too many rules regulating forums becomes too much.

redsfan30
04-16-2006, 10:53 PM
My question is this: If threads get closed because they are repetitive, cluttering and already served it's purpose, then why do the 10 threads that pop up every day about how "Marty sucks" or "George Grande sucks" stay open?

It's ok to continue to beat dead horses (and I do mean BEAT) just because it's the fashionalbe thing to do, but if a fun thread gets even the slightest big off topic it's closed??

I don't get that.

Chip R
04-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Oh well. Thanks to many of you who help me make my points better than I can make them myself.

Just a theory: some of the mods could be people who have little or no authority elsewhere so they like to flex their muscles online. The thing that burns me the most is the condescending attitude they sometimes display. Oh well. Guess that's just life.

I still love Redszone. And I appreciate the mods...just trying to voice my opinion.

IMO, that is pretty low, Max. You have a beef with a mod about a thread, fine. But if you want to get personal, take it private. After all, some derogatory things could be said about you in this thread.

max venable
04-16-2006, 11:17 PM
IMO, that is pretty low, Max. You have a beef with a mod about a thread, fine. But if you want to get personal, take it private. After all, some derogatory things could be said about you in this thread.
Like I said, it's just a theory. How was it personal in any way?

And I also said I appreciate the mods.

And that's low?

savafan
04-16-2006, 11:37 PM

And that's low?

I think your theory in the middle could have been left out of the post.

Chip R
04-16-2006, 11:47 PM

And that's low?

You are saying that some of the mods in your opinion have little or no authority elsewhere so they like to flex their muscles online. How is that not personal?

Then posting that you appreciate the mods. Make up your mind, Max. Do you appreciate us or do you believe we have little or no authority elsewhere so we like to flex our muscles here? Or do you just not appreciate us when we are picking on you but all other times we are OK?

I get you have a problem. We all get that ad nauseum. You want to ask why a thread was closed and have a discussion about it, that is fine. But when you insult some of us by saying publically we are just ineffectual pencil pushers in real life and we get a kick out of getting all authoritarian on here, that is low. You are entitled to your opinion, Max. But if you want to say things like that, take it private.

TeamCasey
04-17-2006, 06:44 AM
:p:

Take that you son of a gun!! :evil:

Boss-Hog
04-17-2006, 07:05 AM
I think your theory in the middle could have been left out of the post.
I agree that particular part of his post was clearly uncalled for and should have been handled privately. I think our moderators do a great job, especially considering what a thankless position it often is.

max venable
04-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Guess I struck a nerve.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

RANDY IN INDY
04-17-2006, 10:43 AM
:beerme:
My question is this: If threads get closed because they are repetitive, cluttering and already served it's purpose, then why do the 10 threads that pop up every day about how "Marty sucks" or "George Grande sucks" stay open?

It's ok to continue to beat dead horses (and I do mean BEAT) just because it's the fashionalbe thing to do, but if a fun thread gets even the slightest big off topic it's closed??

I don't get that.

westofyou
04-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by redsfan30

I don't get that.

Because they are about baseball and because another "fun" thread (The last Post) dragged the site down last year to the point of the whole thing crashing.

But hey let's just keep complaining about it and maybe this one will get fun and slow the site down too!!

macro
04-17-2006, 11:04 AM
form of spam, huh? I'm sorry, but I don't get it. It's a very unique piece of Reds memorabilia that Redszoners, of all people, might have a genuine interest in.

It's one thing to close the thread...at least you gave an explanation...I appreciate that, but to edit the post, too? I got feedback and pm's from several 'zoners who appreciated being able to look at (and dream about) owning a piece like that.

So you're saying that if we find something very intresting related to our Reds on eBay, we can't link to it on Redzone to share the discovery, huh?

I don't get it.

I just think our mods get on power trips sometimes and it's frustrating to many of us.

Thanks for taking time to read this and let me voice my opinion.

There is a difference between providing a link to an ebay auction for the entertainment/curiosity value of it and starting a thread in hopes of bringing more bidders to one's own auction. This was no "discovery", max, these were your auctions. If your motivation was to inform the people here of unique/rare/interesting Reds-related items on ebay, there were surely many other auctions you could have linked to besides or in addition to your own.

I have occasionally posted links to Reds-related ebay auctions if the item is truly rare and unique. Just a couple of weeks ago I posted a link to an auction for a Crosley Field seat that brought well over $1,000. I wasn't selling it and I had serious doubts that anyone at RedsZone would have interest in shelling out over $1K for it. I just thought it was an interesting piece.

I will admit that allowing links to some auctions and not others opens up a potential gray area. For what it's worth, though, I really don't recall a thread about an ebay auction that has fallen into that gray area, this one included.

I certainly don't think you had any malice or ill-will in mind when you started the thread about your auctions, but I have a hard time believing that you started that thread simply because you thought those auctions were more interesting than anything else Reds-related on ebay.

max venable
04-17-2006, 11:37 AM
So...bottom line, if I would have just said, "Hey guys, look at this cool thing I found on eBay," and not told anybody it was mine, everyone would be okay with that. But because I was upfront about it, even though it's a cool item, it gets whacked because it's mine.

Guess I know how to proceed next time.

macro
04-17-2006, 12:28 PM
So...bottom line, if I would have just said, "Hey guys, look at this cool thing I found on eBay," and not told anybody it was mine, everyone would be okay with that. But because I was upfront about it, even though it's a cool item, it gets whacked because it's mine.

Guess I know how to proceed next time.

Probably so, as unfortunate as that is. I admire that you were straightforward about it. But like paint said, it's something we're now talking about, so clear-cut guidelines may be put in place.

Your situation was the first one of its type that I recall. That doesn't mean that it has never happened, but I don't remember it or it slipped past without my realizing it. Others may very well have gotten away with the very type of deception that you speak of. If that's the case, they'll have to live with that. At least your conscience is clear in that you were honest.

:beerme:

I do hope your auctions turn out well and that you get some cash to go toward your bike, by the way. I'm partial to the Yamaha V-Star Classic, but I'll confess that there's nothing like a Harley. Or maybe you're shopping for a bullet bike? I don't remember.

max venable
04-17-2006, 12:49 PM
I do hope your auctions turn out well and that you get some cash to go toward your bike, by the way. I'm partial to the Yamaha V-Star Classic, but I'll confess that there's nothing like a Harley. Or maybe you're shopping for a bullet bike? I don't remember.

Thanks macro, I'll try to post a pic of me with my bike after I get it. :cool:

I want a Harley, of course, but two things: 1. I just learned how to ride and I don't think I'm ready for a Harley, and 2. I can't afford one--yet (and I refuse to finance anything).

The Baumer
04-17-2006, 02:54 PM
There is a difference between providing a link to an ebay auction for the entertainment/curiosity value of it and starting a thread in hopes of bringing more bidders to one's own auction. This was no "discovery", max, these were your auctions. If your motivation was to inform the people here of unique/rare/interesting Reds-related items on ebay, there were surely many other auctions you could have linked to besides or in addition to your own.

What you're saying makes sense in it's own context, but you can't apply it. Moderators can't read people's minds. The moment moderators start trying to guess a person's motivation and start telling others what they are thinking you get into messes similar to this one. A moderator's job is moderate threads that violate the board rules, not their personal set of rules or what they think the board rules should be.

It sounds like people are ragging on the mods, which is happening to an extent, but a lot of the counterpoints and excuses given by them in this thread have been inappropriate and do not fall under the responsibilities or privelages of a moderator. You don't just check your gut or say "I don't like this thread" and close it.

Also, in order to lower the "fun" of this thread and prevent it from crashing RedsZone, here is a sad jpeg.

http://www.mirandacastro.com/articles/images/baby_crying.jpg

Falls City Beer
04-17-2006, 03:09 PM
What you're saying makes sense in it's own context, but you can't apply it. Moderators can't read people's minds. The moment moderators start trying to guess a person's motivation and start telling others what they are thinking you get into messes similar to this one. A moderator's job is moderate threads that violate the board rules, not their personal set of rules or what they think the board rules should be.

It sounds like people are ragging on the mods, which is happening to an extent, but a lot of the counterpoints and excuses given by them in this thread have been inappropriate and do not fall under the responsibilities or privelages of a moderator. You don't just check your gut or say "I don't like this thread" and close it.

Also, in order to lower the "fun" of this thread and prevent it from crashing RedsZone, here is a sad jpeg.

http://www.mirandacastro.com/articles/images/baby_crying.jpg

So, would the situation be improved if ALL links to commercial sites/advertisements/spams were prohibited? It's an honest question.

Because selling your own stuff is definitely spamming. Sending someone to an auction that isn't your own may be spamming.

I say "none" of it should be allowed myself.

The Baumer
04-17-2006, 03:35 PM
So, would the situation be improved if ALL links to commercial sites/advertisements/spams were prohibited? It's an honest question.

Because selling your own stuff is definitely spamming. Sending someone to an auction that isn't your own may be spamming.

I say "none" of it should be allowed myself.

I say a clear rule has to be established, whether it be none, all, or some level in between that is able to be moderated (i.e. those who have been here a year and have contributed can post links to interesting eBay stuff). I just don't like the gut-feeling, "I think this thread should be closed" way of moderating. It leads to problems, especially if they take offense to posters taking offense.

Boss-Hog
04-17-2006, 11:00 PM
There have been some interesting points raised here and I appreciate that. We're continuing our discussion on a set policy on this topic. Thanks.

GridironGrace
04-17-2006, 11:02 PM
I've always like explinations of closed threads on forums i visit.
As a mod on a few other forums i know i give them.