PDA

View Full Version : Sean Casey out at least 6-8 weeks

Matt700wlw
04-15-2006, 02:46 PM
He collided with John Mabry last night trying to grab a throw to first. Mabry was attempting to beat out the throw and he collided into Casey's backside with his hip, and Casey suffered fractures in his lower back (left side). The report just came down a couple minutes ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2409937

Ouch.....all the best to Casey. :(

westofyou
04-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Ouch is right, part of the knock on Case's game has been his somewhat growing fragile label. Many times he's knocked up enough that he's able to play, but not generate power.

So I guess Craig Wilson gets those ab's.

RedsManRick
04-15-2006, 03:08 PM
And yet, I'd still trade Williams back for Casey...

KronoRed
04-15-2006, 03:14 PM
He might be too valuable off the bench.

PuffyPig
04-15-2006, 03:47 PM
And yet, I'd still trade Williams back for Casey...

And who would you trade off to make up Casey's $8.5M salary?

Big Klu
04-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Ouch is right, part of the knock on Case's game has been his somewhat growing fragile label. Many times he's knocked up enough that he's able to play, but not generate power.

Heh-heh...you said knocked up!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c7/Beabuttitle.jpg/200px-Beabuttitle.jpg

StillFunkyB
04-15-2006, 05:43 PM
I wish Sean the best.

Somehow I see him as some kind of coach after he is done playing.

TeamBoone
04-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Ouch is right, part of the knock on Case's game has been his somewhat growing fragile label.

I don't understand this. Most, if not all of Casey's injuries have been because of contact with a thrown or batted ball (bean jobs and fractured eye socket) and collisions (shoulder/knee). When players collide, bad things often happen. IMHO, this in no way means he's fragile... he's human, and these kinds of things do damage to humans. I'm sure they've made an impact on the power we all saw from Sean in his earlier years.

I feel so bad for him. Good luck, Sean.

DropDocK
04-15-2006, 07:56 PM
All the best for Casey. I haven't seen a replay of it but I heard he took about 5 steps afterwards and went down to his knees or something. Can only imagine how an injury like that might have felt, scary.

MattyHo4Life
04-15-2006, 08:33 PM
And who would you trade off to make up Casey's $8.5M salary?

Didn't the Reds pay part of his salary?

Besides, don't let the Reds Front Office fool you. They can afford to pay Casey's contract.

George Foster
04-15-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't understand this. Most, if not all of Casey's injuries have been because of contact with a thrown or batted ball (bean jobs and fractured eye socket) and collisions (shoulder/knee). When players collide, bad things often happen. IMHO, this in no way means he's fragile... he's human, and these kinds of things do damage to humans. I'm sure they've made an impact on the power we all saw from Sean in his earlier years.

Sean is a pretty big guy, if he has fractures in his back, it must had been one heck of a collision, I did not see it, and I really don't want to. I hope he comes back full strength. All the best.

Chip R
04-15-2006, 11:38 PM

I do not think fragile is the right word to describe Casey. I do not think I would even go as far as to say he is injury prone. I would put him in the same category as Kearns and say they have bad luck. But players in all sports get a rep for having bad luck as far as injuries go and a lot of time they are described as fragile more as shorthand than anything. And there are players who rarely get hurt or when they do they are only out for a game or two if that. But when evaluating a player, you have to take injury history into account. That is why I never draft Fred Taylor for fantasy football because odds are, at some point during the season, he is going to get hurt. Same thing goes for Jr. Lately it seems Casey has fallen into that same category.

That said I hope Sean has a speedy recovery.

GAC
04-16-2006, 05:20 AM
I do not think fragile is the right word to describe Casey. I do not think I would even go as far as to say he is injury prone. I would put him in the same category as Kearns and say they have bad luck.

How about that he is just a big ol' loveable clutz? :lol:

That said I hope Sean has a speedy recovery.

Same here.

DropDocK
04-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Sean is a pretty big guy, if he has fractures in his back, it must had been one heck of a collision, I did not see it, and I really don't want to. I hope he comes back full strength. All the best.

I saw the replay last night and it wasn't as bad as I thought. But it did appear that Mabry stuck an elbow in his lower back, somewhat intentionally imo.

redsfaninbsg
04-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Had the same injury happen to me my senior season of high school football. Needless to say I missed over half the season and I still have problems out of back today.

westofyou
04-16-2006, 11:02 AM
When players collide, bad things often happen.

And some players get out of the way slower, tend to be in those situations more and take longer to get over them (often because they won't take to the pine at the begining to let the damn thing heal)

Sean Casey is one of those guys apparently, it really has little to do with Sean the person, but much to do with Sean Casey the player.