PDA

View Full Version : Reds/Marlins Trade Rumor

Go_Cats_Go!
04-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Has anyone heard any more of the rumor that was posted on the UC board the other day?

Supposedly the Reds and Marlins are discussing a trade, Kearns, Encarnacion, and Wagner to the Marlins for D-Train and Cabrerra.

cincyinco
04-15-2006, 04:38 PM
False..

That would be nowhere NEAR enough...

FL could get much more trading each seperately..

Go_Cats_Go!
04-15-2006, 04:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Otherwise we'd be searching for someone to drive Kearns, EE, and Wags to Florida before they change their mind.

cincyinco
04-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Exactly.. Krivs would HAVE to jump on it in a heart beat.. who cares about salary.. this would rocket the Reds into a contender...

Cabrera goes to 3b.. Denorfia takes over in the OF or Freel given a full time job out there.. and Willis in the rotation? Thats 1 ace, a #2 in Harang if he keeps pitching like he did yesterday, a good #3 in Arroyo, and a good #4 in claussen..

VI_RedsFan
04-15-2006, 05:31 PM
I doubt that rumor is true.

But, damn, if it is and we make this deal.....I'm flying up to Cincy on the first flight I can get to give Krivs a big hug. We could seriously be a very good team if we could get Willis and Cabrera.

Are you guys not salivating over this lineup?

RF Freel
SS Lopez
CF Griffey
3B Cabrera
LF Dunn
1B Aurilia/Hatteberg
C LaRue/Valentin
2B Phillips

Now THAT is one dangerous lineup. :D

PuffyPig
04-15-2006, 05:36 PM
You couldn't get either of those players for that package.

6-4-3
04-15-2006, 05:46 PM
That is the most ridiculous and flippant rumor I've ever heard, stop and think about that deal for a second...

Even the Fish wouldn't do that :)

LexingtonRedsFan
04-15-2006, 05:53 PM
No way--say one thing about the fish, they seem to always get good young pitchers when they make trades....so, unless the names of Homer and Wood are mentioned, Im sure the fish would hang up and go on to the next team on hold....

With that said...I have a feeling, deep down in my gut that Bob C. wants to win now and when/if Willis comes on the market.......

redsfan4445
04-15-2006, 06:10 PM
i would rather see a trade of Claussen, Edwin, Kata and a couple of prospects for D-train and Cabrera

but i wonder if they would bite...

Hey Ramp101.. you heard anything to this rumour mentioned??

Buckeye33
04-15-2006, 06:17 PM
i would rather see a trade of Claussen, Edwin, Kata and a couple of prospects for D-train and Cabrera

You couldn't even get Hanley Ramirez for those 3 players, let alone even one of Cabrera or Willis.

This whole rumor is probably the worst I have read on a message board in years.

This rumor would be like the Braves offering Horacio Ramirez, Wilson Betemit, and some AAA fodder for Dunn. Would you do that trade if you were the Reds?

RedsMan3203
04-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Package the whold darn triple A team to FLA for those 2.

But it has to be a sign and trade.

5 years for each.

toledodan
04-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Package the whold darn triple A team to FLA for those 2.

But it has to be a sign and trade.

5 years for each.

my thoughts as well.

p.s. i tried to give you some more rep points but they wouldn't let me yet.

kaldaniels
04-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Marc Lancaster laughed this rumor off on his blog...said give up hope on either of these two...Reds won't have enough to offer.

WVRed
04-15-2006, 09:57 PM
We would be lucky if we got one of those without including Homer Bailey.

Just sayin'.

flyer85
04-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Heard where going to get Liriano for Womack and Aurilia

Caseyfan21
04-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Haha, this is great, there are 29 other major league teams right now that have similar ridiculous rumors floating around. I was in Detroit this afternoon for the Indians/Tigers game (thread coming later with pictures) and on the way back we listened to the local sportstalk program. I'd say for an hour or so they discussed trades dealing with these two. The consensus was that giving up Verlander (their #1 pitching prospect), another player, and a hitting prospect for Willis would definately be "too much." I was just laughing like crazy thinking about what teams could actually have enough depth in their minor league system to make a trade for one or both and still have prospects left. There are not too many that come to mind.

Caveat Emperor
04-15-2006, 10:24 PM
I was just laughing like crazy thinking about what teams could actually have enough depth in their minor league system to make a trade for one or both and still have prospects left. There are not too many that come to mind.

Arizona's system is pretty stocked -- they would definately in a position to move on Willis or Cabrera. Ditto to Los Angeles, though I'm personally not too high on most of their advanced prospects.

The Reds? Not so much. You can pretty much give up on Cincinnati having any shot at making either of these deals. Even if they were inclined to mortgage every bit of the future to own Willis or Cabrera, there's simply not enough future there to sell off. I doubt Florida would listen to any offer the Reds made, even if it included Edwin Encarnacion AND Homer Bailey. There are other teams that can offer prospects closer to the majors and with less risk factor than Bailey brings to the table.

Caseyfan21
04-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Arizona's system is pretty stocked -- they would definately in a position to move on Willis or Cabrera. Ditto to Los Angeles, though I'm personally not too high on most of their advanced prospects.

My friend and I pretty much came to the same conclusion. The one team that we came up with that had enough depth was Arizona. We didn't even talk about LA (he's a Giants fan so I didn't bring it up :) ).

George Foster
04-15-2006, 10:44 PM
I would love to get Brandon Webb from Arizona, he's a Kentucky Boy. He would love to come home. His family could drive up from Ashland to see him pitch. He grew up a Reds fan. I met him last year and spoke for about 15 minutes. He's a class act. He took pictures with me and my family and his agent was their as well and gave us signed baseball cards. He told me to call him if I ever wanted to see him pitch at Great American and he would "hook me up." It was cool to chat with a real major-leaguer form Kentucky.

He's not a real #1 starter but I feel he is as good as Harang.

edabbs44
04-15-2006, 10:53 PM
I would love to get Brandon Webb from Arizona, he's a Kentucky Boy. He would love to come home. His family could drive up from Ashland to see him pitch. He grew up a Reds fan. I met him last year and spoke for about 15 minutes. He's a class act. He took pictures with me and my family and his agent was their as well and gave us signed baseball cards. He told me to call him if I ever wanted to see him pitch at Great American and he would "hook me up." It was cool to chat with a real major-leaguer form Kentucky.

Webb would be a great addition, but I think he would be nearly impossible. Zona's minor league system is stocked with bats but no pitching. They need to hold on to any pitching they have.

WVPacman
04-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Guys there might be some kind of truth to this b/c I was reading THE SPORTING NEWS book about a week ago and it said the DTrain could be the next to get traded.So keep your fingers crossed b/c something could be in the works.Man that would be awesome!!!

red-in-la
04-16-2006, 12:59 AM
I ahd floated this trade idea two weeks ago.....but mine included Homer Bailey going to the Fish....which I believe the Fish would do....Kearns, EdwinE, Bailey and Wagner for the Train and Cabrara. I think I also said you might have to throw in Coffey or another young pitcher.

But I would do this in a heartbeat (while you are still 7-4) and I bet the Marlins would also jump at this.....they would get much younger and mch cheaper and they would get some very good prospects in the deal.

flyer85
04-16-2006, 01:03 AM
Just why would the Marlins want another pitching prospect. They already have more than any organization in baseball. They will be looking for positional talent for which they are very thin. We know how loaded the Reds are with positional prospects.

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Votto....umm.

Patrick Bateman
04-16-2006, 01:09 AM
Just why would the Marlins want another pitching prospect. They already have more than any organization in baseball. They will be looking for positional talent for which they are very thin. We know how loaded the Reds are with positional prospects.

Because even when you are loaded you can always get more. Having too much pitching is never a problem.

alexad
04-16-2006, 01:15 AM
They were talking about it on WLW on Thursday night. Andy Furman took a call from a person who said they were from Florida and there had been talks of the Reds making a deal with the Marlins. Andy called a beat writer for the Marlins and had him on the show. The writer said there had been all sorts of rumors about the two big guns for the Marlins, but right now they plan to hold on to them. He felt Willis may go sometime in July but it will be to somebody who needs a number 1 and would overpayto get him.

He had said there had been several rumors and the Reds were mentioned but it was not rumors from the front office of Florida.

flyer85
04-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Face it the Reds have little to give. The farm system is almost completely barren and is above high A. A bunch of teams can offer a lot more than the Reds and Dontrelle Willis has an awful lot of pitches on his arm for such a young player. BTW, he is not off to a hot start in 2006 especially compared to previous years. His K rate is way down. Last year he was 5-0 in April with a 1.29 ERA.

Caveat Emperor
04-16-2006, 02:04 AM
He felt Willis may go sometime in July but it will be to somebody who needs a number 1 and would overpayto get him.

Therein lies the problem.

You can go down the list of "good" Reds prospects, and for each one you name that might be a "centerpiece" of a deal to bring Willis or Cabrera back to the Reds, there is some other team that has a prospect to offer that is as good or better at either a higher level of the minors or who has performed better at an equal level.

The Reds offer Votto, some other team can counter with a slugger that's had success at the AA level. The Reds offer Bailey, some other team can offer a power righthander that's pitched in high-A and dominated.

Willis will be in demand if he's put on the block, and the Reds simply get outbid in every scenario I can envision.

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 04:01 AM
Unless he falls in love with Cincy

;)

Yeah I know..it's a good laugh :D

kaldaniels
04-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Guys there might be some kind of truth to this b/c I was reading THE SPORTING NEWS book about a week ago and it said the DTrain could be the next to get traded.So keep your fingers crossed b/c something could be in the works.Man that would be awesome!!!

There is no truth to this rumor however, none!

Blimpie
04-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Whichever team comes in second in signing the Rocket (Yanks, Red Sox, Rangers...) this summer will most likely take that money and throw it the Marlins way for Dontrelle Willis. The Reds will not be a player.

VI_RedsFan
04-16-2006, 10:30 AM

I agree on Brandon Webb. He would be a great addition. The thing that's great about him is that he is an EXTREME groundball pitcher. Rarely gives up homers, and that's the exact type of pitcher we need for this team. He's still young pretty young too (26).

Although, sadly, I doubt the Dbacks would deal him. He is one of the very few good pitchers that they have and I doubt they would ask for anything less than Dunn for him

Nonetheless, I would still send a package that includes Kearns to Arizona for Webb. Just sayin'...

westofyou
04-16-2006, 11:00 AM

He's pretty close and looks to be way better than Harang. That said he's not coming "home" anytime soon, especially since they are now building their staff around him.

BTW, concerning the trade rumour, I've heard more realistic rumours on bathroom walls.

MartyFan
04-16-2006, 11:34 AM
He's pretty close and looks to be way better than Harang. That said he's not coming "home" anytime soon, especially since they are now building their staff around him.

BTW, concerning the trade rumour, I've heard more realistic rumours on bathroom walls.

Yeah, me too...of course the stuff written about me on the bathroom wall was not entirely true....II am not that good of time....so please stop calling!

Matt700wlw
04-16-2006, 01:42 PM

Something is brewing....let's just hope our boys are involved

KGJR30
04-16-2006, 03:55 PM
I saw that the Reds were interested in Willis on a WV sports board and dismissed it thinking someone didn't know what they were talking about. Now hearing that this has apparently come up a few places I'm not so sure that there isn't some truth to this.