PDA

View Full Version : Great Redszone Gathering At Cinergy Field

GAC
08-09-2002, 04:30 PM
I've been talking with a couple others on here about getting together for the game on Friday, August 30th against the Brewers. And for some of you on here who are kind S-L-O-O-OW...yes, it is a home game!

We're just looking at meeting someplace prior to the game for "eat, drink, and fellowship", and then going to the stadium and getting general admission seats so we can all sit together (do the beer guys go that high? :thumbup: ). If not, then ChipR said he'd make the beer runs! ;)

Post your response here if you are seriously thinking about it. Or else, send me an email.

My "inner circle" is currently working out the details as to where we can possibly meet prior. Some though may just want to meet at the stadium, and at at certain gate, prior to gettting tickets (which is fine). We'll get the details worked out here in the next few days or so.

So sign on if you are interested!

TeamCasey
08-09-2002, 04:36 PM
A true Red's fan would know how to spell Cinergy. :D ;)

Sounds like the Teamster's will be in attendance.:thumbup:

GAC
08-09-2002, 04:39 PM
Damn spellcheck let me down again! :D

creek14
08-09-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by GAC
My "inner circle" is currently working out the details

And what does one have to do to gain access? you don't even talk to me when I come into chat these days. :angel:

TeamCasey
08-09-2002, 04:45 PM
By the way, I've seen this nonsense about a "clique" lately. No such thing. Anytime we've had a Zone outing, we've invited everyone on here. We've grovelled, for goodness sake. So, hush up, and come on out to a great night at the park!

GAC will buy you the beverage of your choice. :p ;)

TeamBoone
08-09-2002, 04:48 PM
TC's correct; the Teamsters will be there. But! For the record, I already have tickets so will not be buying any extra... just save me a seat next to you GAC... I'll sneak to your section.

Before the game? How about the Inbetween Tavern (if it's a nice night and not raining). It's real close to the stadium (3rd and Broadway) and it's outside. In fact, it's where they've been filming those "singing int he shower" commercials for Old Spice.

Anybody else game? (game, not "gamey" LOL)

Chip R
08-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by creek14

And what does one have to do to gain access? you don't even talk to me when I come into chat these days. :angel:

Bring Jello, of course. :evilgrin:

GAC
08-09-2002, 05:24 PM
ChipR just mentioned the "In Between". You "locals" know the best place to meet at (not me). As I always say to my wife... "I'm game!" ;) I usually just park in the parking lot right along the river and between the Bengals & Red's stadiums. I am not "up" on how to manuever around Cincy downtown (I'd be in Indy in no time). So it would be best for me to park and meet everyone somewhere. But again, you "locals" would have a beter idea as to where to meet at best. Just give the GACster a map and plenty of details, wherever we decide to meet.

Lets just throw around some local places to meet over the next few days, and then we'll decide on one.

P.S. and to my sweetheart creek... I never talk to you in chat because of your multiple personality disorder while in there. You know how S-L-O-O-W I am. Every time you've been in there incognito (and then left), I'm always asking everyone else... "Was that creek?" And they end up laughing at me! :rolleyes:

WVRedsFan
08-09-2002, 06:10 PM
I'd be interested. Be nice to meet some of y'all :)

TeamCasey
08-09-2002, 06:54 PM
5th and Vine (part of the Westin) is also a good place to meet before the game, and you can park right there under the Westin, for a good price after 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. You can also buy your tickets right there at the Dugout shop. (It's across the hallway about 20 feet away). Small venue, but fine for pre-game cocktails, right across the street from the Fountain.

Cocktails, munchies, tickets and parking all in the same place. About a 2 block walk to the stadium, waltz right in to your seats.

Just another option to ponder. Not sure if you guys are going to buy tickets in advance.

RollyInRaleigh
08-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Man, you guys are so lucky to be able to get together and go to the game. I'd love to be able to join you, but it's just too long of a drive!;) I'll be there in spirit if nothing else. Hope y'all have a great time, and have one for me.:beerme:

creek14
08-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Can you tailgate on the plaza? If so, everyone could meet at my Tahoe. The Creek Family could have a full cooler in the back, some snacks, the pregame on the radio. Just a little sports bar on wheels.

GAC
08-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Alright!! Free Food! :thumbup:

37red
08-09-2002, 08:08 PM
Probably not, but wish I lived closer and I would. I'm going to the game on Sunday the 18th, so that will most likely be my only trip up north this season.

Chip R
08-09-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by TeamCasey
5th and Vine (part of the Westin) is also a good place to meet before the game

I thought of that TC but it is so packed on Friday nights I didn't think that would be the best place to meet and greet.

GAC
08-09-2002, 10:25 PM
I like creek's idea. If she can park on the plaza and we can tailgate, that would be a great idea! Who can follow up to see if we can do it?

SirFelixCat
08-09-2002, 10:34 PM
As most of you know, I'm not able to make it up there then, BUT, is there any chance of doing this again sometime while the missus and I are up there Sept. 12-15??? It's a Thurs-Sun. home stretch against the Cubbies...I'd really love to meet some of you folks. Just a bug in your ears, so-to-speak:beerme:

creek14
08-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by GAC
I like creek's idea. If she can park on the plaza and we can tailgate, that would be a great idea! Who can follow up to see if we can do it?

I'll call and ask on Monday.

WVRedsFan
08-10-2002, 12:45 AM
I also like Creek's idea. It will be more condusive to conversation and fellowship (Gawd, I sound old)...

Buckaholic
08-10-2002, 04:26 AM
Count me in, provided i'm able to haggle the day off work, but living 2 1/2 hours away.....thats about the only way! Otherwise, i'm game.

mckenzie
08-10-2002, 09:44 AM
sounds like fun.

and i have seen people out (granted, not as much as bengals games) in the parking lot tailgating before games. but it's probably best to call and ask someone before the creek mobile gets taken away. :cool:

looking forward to it!

Chip R
08-10-2002, 11:02 AM
Tailgating sounds like fun. But I'll bet you there is no tailgating on the plaza. I'll bet we'd have a hard time tailgating in a parking lot too. Didn't they have a whole big deal about not being able to tailgate in the parking lot when PBS opened?

creek14
08-10-2002, 11:08 AM
I am a little concerned about it too, Chip. But it seems I recall guernsey once saying that he has enjoyed a beverage or two before game time at his car and he parks on the Plaza. Any insight, guernsey?

Chip R
08-10-2002, 11:16 AM
A beverage or two is one thing but when I hear the word tailgate, I think of grilling burgers and dogs and downing a few cold ones, you know, fun stuff like that. And we all know the Reds wouldn't let us have any fun.

guernsey
08-10-2002, 11:19 AM
creek - Here's the official policy from the Reds web site:

Alcoholic Beverages:
The consumption of alcoholic beverages on Cinergy Field property (including inside motor vehicles) directly before, during or after Reds' games is prohibited by law, unless beverages are purchased from Sportservice and consumed within the stadium.

However, I have always been able to drink a couple of beers on the plaza level in or just outside my car prior to going in the gates. I've never been hassled even when parked right next to the guys directing cars where to park. But, I always either pour the beer into a mug or have the can in a holder. So I at least make an effort to be discrete. I'm not sure that would be so easy with a group of 20+.

Wish I could join y'all, but I'm going to the Business Day Special game against the Cards on the 29th, and making that trip two days in a row just ain't gonna happen.

creek14
08-10-2002, 11:23 AM
:(

But please come in the gate and give us 6 bucks for a beer.

I don't like beer anyway.

Okay, next idea....

Super_Barry11
08-10-2002, 01:00 PM
It sounds like fun, but I'll be at college. I move in next Friday, have orientation for a week, and classes start on the 26th. So I won't be able to come... :(

GAC
08-10-2002, 01:55 PM
And the brainstorming continues....

What restaurants/sports bars are there near the stadium that we can meet at? I have no problem coming down earlier and parking at or near the stadium, and walking to a local pub. I'll buy a big bag of popcorn beforehand to drop a trail so I can find my way back :thumbup:

How about the place TC mentioned?... the Westin?

TeamBoone
08-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Darn! The tailgaiting sounded good too. Funny too because Real Reds talked about it during one of their away game shows... how refreshing it was to see it being done at a BB game. Now that we know it's not allowed at Riverfront, seems like kind of a dumb thing to say. If it was allowed, perhaps it would be happening!

Regarding 5th & Vine (in the Westin), I agree with TC that it's a great place to meet, but I also agree with Chip that it can be a monster space-wise on a Friday. Seems like it's a popular after-work watering hole for the downtown crew on Fridays, leaving little space for the pregame sports fans (unless your group is small).

I still think the Inbetween Tavern would be ideal... outside, extremely casual, and right across the street from Riverfront (corner of 3rd and Main).

KittyDuran
08-10-2002, 02:16 PM
I'll be there (it's part of my season ticket package)...:beerme:

Hollcat
08-10-2002, 02:25 PM
How about Friday's or Applebees across the river.

GIK
08-10-2002, 02:26 PM
I might be able to make it down from MI.

TeamCasey
08-10-2002, 02:32 PM
Sounds like the In Between is the winner.

I'll bet if you used travel mugs, they wouldn't care. It's the peeing in the parking lot that probably ticks them off! Not that I've ever done such a thing! :angel: :beerme:

SirFelixCat
08-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Man, wish I could come...if this goes well, is there any chance at all that it could be done again on the Sept 12-15 homestand vs the Cubbies???

Hope you guys (and gals) have a fantastic time and the Redlegs win too!:beerme:

mckenzie
08-10-2002, 02:36 PM
should we send someone or someones a little early, before the downtown friday happy hour gets rolling?

looking forward to a fun night.

:roll:

mckenzie
08-10-2002, 02:38 PM
sc,

we have tickets to the saturday game that weekend.
so, if there are people who want to meet up before/after the game then, i'm always ready to have an adult beverage or two.

:beerme:

GAC
08-10-2002, 02:48 PM
So then.... we're looking at meeting at the In Between Tavern then huh? Doe anyone want to 2nd the motion? :D

So basically it's right in downtown in front of the stadium, so we can park just about anywhere around the stadium and walk there. Sounds good to me.

Ok...what time do we all plan to meet? What is the best time to get there on a Friday to beat any happy hour crowd? Or let me rephrase that... what time do we need to get there to be part of that happy hour crowd? :thumbup:

Any time is fine for me. Some where around 5?

Finally... are we all then going to meet at a certain place at the stadium in order to get our tickets together?

This thing is shaping up

:thumbup:

TeamBoone
08-10-2002, 03:01 PM
I will still park at the Westin (or one block north at Fountain Square)... entrances to both are on Vine (Westin, between 4th and 5th; Fountain Square, between 5th and 6th).

Chip? What's the time in order to get the $1 rate... 5 o'clock? BTW, when I went to the game last night, the Westin parking garage was open to monthly key card patrons only due to some construction work, so I drove a block further and parked under Fountain Square (steps from the elevator take you to the Westin Lobby). Don't know how long this project will take.

You would then walk east to Main (2 blocks), hang a right... the Inbetween Tavern is at the bottom of the street on the right (2 blocks). Or, and this is probably the easiest, just walk 2 blocks south on Walnut (the Westin sits between Vine and Walnut), hang a left at 3rd, and it's just a couple blocks to the Tavern. It's more visible from 3rd as the outside portion faces the street.

Chip R
08-11-2002, 01:05 AM
Yeah, 5 is the starting point for $1 parking at Fountain square. So, are we gonna have to do a poll here to decide where we should meet? Looks like some want to meet at Friday's in Covington and some want to meet at the In-Between right by the stadium.

alloverjr
08-11-2002, 01:12 AM
I'm suppose to be in Toronto that night, but those plans may change. If I'm in town, count me in! The InBetween is a super idea. Willie's is also another option with ample free parking and a shuttle to and from the game. Hope to see you there.

GAC
08-11-2002, 07:31 AM
Since I am not familiar with the area as much as alot of you, I realy don't know the best place to meet at. But it looks like it is down to 3 places... the InBetween, Willie's, and Fridays.

As the people going to come grows we need to consider this on which ever establishment we choose...

ample room to handle us all

can we pay to park there and go to the game. Or is it's locale close enough to the stadium where we can park where we want and then just meet there?

And don't we also need to have a place to meet at the stadium to get all our tickets together. Didn't I hear that one of the above places also sells tickets or has a place next door that does (Westin?) ?

I can see this may come down to a jello wrestling finals! :thumbup:

I don't care where we meet as long as they serve beer... and Chip prefers a place that carries Heinz! ;)

creek14
08-11-2002, 09:11 AM
Willie's isn't a bad idea. Easy to get to. Mega free parking. Lots of bar and table space inside. And if you don't want to take the Willie's free shuttle over to the park, you can pick up the TANK bus at the bottom of the parking lot for 50 cents. Willies in Montgomery has worked with us before for groups, I imagine this one would too.

GAC
08-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Willies is right across the bridge in KY isn't it? I think you can see it from 75 (if it is the one I'm thinking of).

I looked, but I guess you can't post polls on here anymore can you? I was going to post one to see which place everyone would liike to meet at.

So it is possible for us all to meet at Willie's and then catch a shuttle over to the stadium? I'm also assuming they'll give you a ride back after the game (DUH! :rolleyes: )

This might be a great idea. We could all ride over together and then get our tickets at the gate.

creek14
08-11-2002, 11:07 AM
GAC sweetie, Chip posted a poll. :p

GAC
08-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Yeah... i just saw it! :rolleyes:

It's neck and neck race between Willie's and the In Between

Chip R
08-11-2002, 02:35 PM
I looked on the schedule last night and it said that that game is Family night where in advance of game day, if the head of household buys a ticket, everyone else can get in for half price. So, for example, if Mama Creek bought a red reserve ticket for $9, everyone else could buy theirs for $4.50. Just a suggestion but I think just everyone buying them on game day would be better. That way you don't have any unused tickets. Hell, if we bought Top 6, we could probably sit somewhere in the greens with no trouble. But, I just thought I'd bring up the Family Day idea up as a suggestion.

Oh, and GAC, I was so surprised Creek had to actually point that poll out to you. :p

Marty and Joe
08-11-2002, 07:36 PM
Add 2 more people to the total (anybody keeping count?).

Looking forward to seeing some of you again and meeting those we haven't met yet.

No real preference on the meeting place other than the requirement that it has cold beverages and rabid Reds' fans.

Johnny Vander m
08-11-2002, 10:08 PM
I have been thinking about this, and I need a vacation, so if I can find me a "designated driver", I don't want to drive back to Greenville drinking, I just might show up. Would love to meet Chip, Creek, TC, GAC and all. What about tickets, I damm sure want to sit with you all.

Chip R
08-11-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Vander m
What about tickets, I damm sure want to sit with you all.

Wetz, we'd love to have you. As for tix, probably the best thing would be to just have everybody buy their own and then we all find a place to sit together. Shouldn't be too tough of a thing to do since it's MIL and all that.

GAC
08-12-2002, 08:05 AM
So what you're saying is that we can get general admission tickets (the nose bleed section) at any time and still sit pretty much anywhere we want? But does the beer man risk coming that high? (LOL)

Also, if we end up going to the InBetween, didn't I hear TC say there is a place right next door where we can get our tickets?

Hollcat
08-12-2002, 08:42 AM
If you buy it, they (vendors) will come!

bucksfan
08-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Just saw this (I don't check in much on weekends). I'd love to go, but as I mentioned earlier, a friend and I are coming down THIS Saturday (8/17). If anyone would like to say hi then, I' love to see some of you. We are staying at the Westin Saturday night. I am sure we will be checking out both the In-Between and 5th & Vine as I have been to both places before and like d them (esp the In-Between - my kinda place). I also want to check out Willie's as I have never been there.

TeamBoone
08-12-2002, 10:32 AM
GAC,

There are vendors all over the top 6 because that's where the biggest drinkers sit!

And, regarding what TC said, if you park at the Westin (Vine between 4th and 5th), you can buy your tickets at the Reds Dug Out shop which is on the first floor of the hotel (across from the 5th & Vine Bar). I think they go on sale 2.5 hours before game time. If you get there before that, it's probably just as easy to buy them at the stadium.

Chip R
08-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by GAC
So what you're saying is that we can get general admission tickets (the nose bleed section) at any time and still sit pretty much anywhere we want? But does the beer man risk coming that high? (LOL)

Well, if we sit pretty much anywhere we want, we won't have to worry about the beer man going up that high, will we. :p

GAC
08-12-2002, 03:51 PM
One of these days Chip!....one of these days!... BOOM! ZING!...TO THE MOON!

Sounds to me then that the InBetween may be the best situation for us all then. If we can pay to park there for the game, fellowship right there at the InBetween, and then get our tickets nearby and then walk (or stumble) to the stadium, then what more could we ask? :thumbup:

And I don't say that in any way to influence anyone voting on the the poll ;)

KittyDuran
08-12-2002, 10:16 PM
If we can pay to park there for the game

IIRC, the cost to park in the In Between's lot is $15.00!!:eek:

GAC
08-13-2002, 08:34 AM
$15.00 !!!! Do they know that we just want to see the game and not play in it? :lol:

But thats OK! If everyone decides we meet at the InBetween I now have a "secret" navigator who knows where the best place to park is, and we'll walk there! ;)

$15.00!!! GEEZ!

Right now the poll is running neck and neck between Willie's and the InBetween.

Redsbbchick
08-13-2002, 02:05 PM
I already have tickets to that game.Blue box seats for those who were wondering if my talent was still intack. I am planning on stopping by and saying hello durring the game though.

GAC
08-13-2002, 04:01 PM
you mean the "queen of the blue seats" is gonna grace us with your presence? ;)

Looking forward to it chickie :thumbup:

Redsbbchick
08-15-2002, 01:41 PM
Hey! What's that supposed to mean GAC? I like to mingle with the underlings as much as the next girl!;)

mckenzie
08-16-2002, 12:05 PM
we should find a place to hang out that night then since this is the "strike date"

make sure there is plenty of adult beverages!

Chip R
08-16-2002, 12:26 PM
It appears that the people have spoken and that we will meet before the game at the In-Between Tavern in Cincinnati by the stadium.

Now, the question is are we going to still have a shindig if there is no game? Since the players have set August 30 as a strike date - which doesn't necessarily mean there will be a strike - there is the possibility of no baseball game. What say you, Zoners? Still gonna show up if there's no game?

creek14
08-16-2002, 12:35 PM
I can't go. Too much walking involved going to the In-Between for this ole bum leg of mine.

Maybe next time. :thumbup:

Have a :beerme: or two for me!!

TeamCasey
08-16-2002, 01:29 PM
Creek,

Would you still go to the game?

BTW,

I think I have to pass on this Saturday. I just know I won't feel like going down 2 days in a row. Thanks for including me, though.

TeamCasey
08-16-2002, 01:31 PM
BTW, C'mon people! Don't be shy. Looking forward to meeting some new folks this time around.

bucksfan
08-16-2002, 02:39 PM

I think I have to pass on this Saturday. I just know I won't feel like going down 2 days in a row. Thanks for including me, though.

Oh come on TC! You said you wanted to meet new people... I will very likely be there this Saturday! Doing the game for sure (blue sec 116 row 15) and definitely considering Applebee's afterwards.

creek14
08-16-2002, 02:46 PM
Creek,

Would you still go to the game?

BTW,

Doubt it. Don't know how I would find the group.

Now about Sat. Man, you are sounding OLD!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Chip R
08-16-2002, 03:01 PM

Something wrong with your cell phone?

creek14
08-16-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Chip R

Something wrong with your cell phone?

Well yeah, as a matter of fact, there is.

Chip R
08-16-2002, 03:15 PM
Well yeah, as a matter of fact, there is.

What happened? You throw the phone against the wall when Reitsma got sent down? ;)

TeamCasey
08-16-2002, 04:05 PM

Now about Sat. Man, you are sounding OLD!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I feel old! I don't like loud music either! Damn hippies! What were we talking about again?

:p