PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Update

steig
04-16-2006, 09:20 AM
I got this off the enquirer website. If Griffey is running on a treadmill at 10 mph then I would think that he could play. It doesn't sound like there will be any trip to the DL for this, at least I hope. But I do wish they would move him to first base.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060416/SPT04/604160405/1071

No worries, Griffey better
Club wants to be cautious with getting slugger back on field
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

ST. LOUIS - Ken Griffey Jr. continues to improve, but he was not good enough to start Saturday.

It's the third straight game he has missed since slightly hyper-extending his knee in Chicago.

Reds manager Jerry Narron waited until talking to Griffey before setting the lineup.
ADVERTISEMENT

"He's still got some tightness," Narron said. "When you've had your hamstring torn from the bone, I can see why you would be apprehensive."

Trainer Mark Mann was very clear on the injury: It is not more serious than first thought, and there's no reason to get an MRI.

"We'd be concerned if it wasn't getting better," Mann said. "But he's been better each day."

Griffey warmed up and ran at 10 mph on the treadmill.

"He felt fine," Mann said. "He's available to pinch hit. But we're going to err on the side of caution with this."

When Griffey does return, look for him to return to center field.

Narron said at this point, Griffey playing first base isn't a consideration.

"Mickey Mantle played first at the end of his career, didn't he?" Narron said. "But I don't think Griff is at the end of his career."

Narron said he thinks Griffey could be a good first baseman.

"But it isn't as easy as people think," Narron said. "There's no question he's a great athlete. But for someone to switch positions, they have to want to do it with all their heart."

What Narron will do is rest Griffey on a regular basis.

"That's something I'm going to have to do on my own," Narron said, "because he's going to want to play."

Blimpie
04-16-2006, 09:33 AM
I think an "8" on most treadmills = something approaching a 7 minute mile, no? Sounds like the knee is fine, but they're not taking any chances in April. Why would you when you have Freel sitting on the bench...

StillFunkyB
04-16-2006, 10:02 AM
I was looking forward to seeing him play yesterday.

Not a big deal though, like you said it's April.

Redmachine2003
04-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Running a Treadmill is very hard on the knees and if he slips. I don't understand why they would let him do that. You would rather have him on a bike or running on a track.

redsfan30
04-16-2006, 11:45 AM
I'd much rather have him miss a week now to make absolutely sure he's ready to go again, rather than rush him and have him make it worse and miss 2 months.

StillFunkyB
04-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Running a Treadmill is very hard on the knees and if he slips. I don't understand why they would let him do that. You would rather have him on a bike or running on a track.

Good point. Elliptical would be much less impact.

edabbs44
04-16-2006, 11:54 AM
It seems like they are being ultra-cautious with Griffey. Probably b/c it is only April, but maybe b/c Castellini really wants to deal him this year?

Big Klu
04-16-2006, 12:00 PM
It seems like they are being ultra-cautious with Griffey. Probably b/c it is only April, but maybe b/c Castellini really wants to deal him this year?

It doesn't matter if Castellini wants to deal him or not. All Griffey has to do is say one little word and any deal is off. That word is "No". Griffey has given no indication that he wants to be traded.

Big Klu
04-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I got this off the enquirer website. If Griffey is running on a treadmill at 10 mph then I would think that he could play. It doesn't sound like there will be any trip to the DL for this, at least I hope. But I do wish they would move him to first base.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060416/SPT04/604160405/1071

No worries, Griffey better
Club wants to be cautious with getting slugger back on field
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

I also think that Griffey to 1B is a good idea. I think the main reason that Dunn isn't playing 1B is because he really doesn't like 1B, and doesn't want to play there (even though I think down deep he knows that is where his career will take him). Griffey would be an outstanding 1B, and it would keep Dunn happy in LF for a little while longer. And by the time Griffey retires, Dunn will be at the point in his career where a switch to 1B will be beneficial for him.

As for some people's concerns that stretching at 1B and the quick stops and starts of playing infield would be potentially hazardous to Griffey, I don't see it. If anything, the stretching would be regularly exercising his weakened muscles and joints. As many doctors tell patients who have a history of arthritis, "Use it or lose it," meaning get out there and exercise the arthritic joints, or you will lose full use of them. Now I know that Griffey does not suffer from arthritis, but I think the same advice would apply. The more he uses the muscles and tendons he has injured over the years, the stronger they will become.

Chip R
04-16-2006, 12:27 PM
I also think that Griffey to 1B is a good idea. I think the main reason that Dunn isn't playing 1B is because he really doesn't like 1B, and doesn't want to play there (even though I think down deep he knows that is where his career will take him). Griffey would be an outstanding 1B, and it would keep Dunn happy in LF for a little while longer. And by the time Griffey retires, Dunn will be at the point in his career where a switch to 1B will be beneficial for him.

Fair point. But what if Jr. does not want to play 1B either?

2001MUgrad
04-16-2006, 01:33 PM
I think that would be a perfect idea to be Jr. at first. Even if he was an average first baseman defensively that is still better than what they have there now. Also it would clear up CF so that Freel can finally be given a spot to play in every day. Thats an excellent idea to put Jr. on first.

The only but on that is that Jr. as of late has been hurt batting or in the running the bases more times than playing the field. I guess its quite possible that he could have been hurt in the field and the injury didn't become aparent until running the bases.

Also, is anyone besides me starting to think that maybe its more serrious than the Reds are letting on?? I guess we'll see. They just don't have the best track record with day to day to DL to surgery type situations.

Big Klu
04-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Fair point. But what if Jr. does not want to play 1B either?

Therein lies the rub.

Pete Rose once said that players, especially star players, don't like to be told that they are changing positions. They see it as an insult (stars do tend to have something of an ego). But if they are asked to make a position change, and it is explained to them how the change will benefit the club and their chances of winning, then they are much more receptive to it. (He was speaking from personal experience.) Maybe someone (Narron) needs to sit down with Junior and discuss this with him.

WMR
04-16-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't think Narron has the cajones to do it. If he did, he'd already have done it b/c it's extremely obvious that it'd make the club better. Or maybe he's just not smart enough to see that.

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 03:59 PM
The best option (sadly) is probably to trade him to an AL team to dh.

LF/RF/1B all have reasons that could hurt his legs, he should be moved to LF for his range alone, but I don't think it will keep him anymore healthy.

TeamBoone
04-16-2006, 05:59 PM
I doubt KGJr would EVER go to the AL to DH... he'd either reject the trade or retire. He's said (and proven) that he's not a pinch hitter; he doesn't do well coming in cold off the bench... and that's all the DH is, a glorified pinch hitter.

It's also been stated in numerous articles via direct quotes from him and the trainer that due to a previous injury, Jr would be prevented from making the quick stop/starts required of a first baseman without reinjuring himself. I believe it was the severe hammy injury they were talking about.

From an article in today's Enquirer:

"He's still got some tightness," Narron said. "When you've had your hamstring torn from the bone, I can see why you would be apprehensive."

Trainer Mark Mann was very clear on the injury: It is not more serious than first thought, and there's no reason to get an MRI.

"We'd be concerned if it wasn't getting better," Mann said. "But he's been better each day."

Griffey warmed up and ran at 10 mph on the treadmill.

"He felt fine," Mann said. "He's available to pinch hit. But we're going to err on the side of caution with this."

reds44
04-16-2006, 06:01 PM
If he feels fine and can run why can't he start?

flyer85
04-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Jr said the injury occurred warming up in the OF before the game. I think it is abundantly clear the only chance Jr has to stay healthy is as a DH.

TeamBoone
04-16-2006, 06:22 PM
If he feels fine and can run why can't he start?

Per the article:

"When you've had your hamstring torn from the bone, I can see why you would be apprehensive."