PDA

View Full Version : Terrible. Awful. Pathetic. Bad. Bad. Bad.

djsauter
04-16-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that today's Reds game was the worst game yet of the year. Yes, a 9-8 loss is the worst loss yet. Not opening day, not Williams, but today's game.

Why? This game was lost on mental errors..the only kind which are not okay. Physical errors, okay, but mental? Thats just poor baseball.

Why the heck do we give Pujols pitches right down the middle...3 TIMES!?

Why the heck does Quinton BUNT when he just hit a home run in his first at bat??

Why can Arroyo hit HR's but not lay down a sac bunt??

Why is Brandon Phillips in the major leagues??

Why did we take out Ross..wasnt he like 2 for 4..to bring in old Javy?

..awful game today. awful.

reds44
04-16-2006, 08:46 PM
If losing by 1 at the defending divison champs is an awful game, I like our teams chances this year.

and for the other side of the spectrum:
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45022

2001MUgrad
04-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Do what I did. Turn off the TV. Turn off the Radio. Take a deep breath! Count to 10 and its all better :)

Redmachine2003
04-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that today's Reds game was the worst game yet of the year. Yes, a 9-8 loss is the worst loss yet. Not opening day, not Williams, but today's game.

Why? This game was lost on mental errors..the only kind which are not okay. Physical errors, okay, but mental? Thats just poor baseball.

Why the heck does Quinton BUNT when he just hit a home run in his first at bat??

Why is Brandon Phillips in the major leagues??Why did we take out Ross..wasnt he like 2 for 4..to bring in old Javy?

Didn't Phillips hit the bad hard each time up but right at someone? Even his fly outs to left got out there in a hurry.

reds44
04-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Didn't Phillips hit the bad hard each time up but right at someone? Even his fly outs to left got out there in a hurry.
Well except for his 1st at bat where he grounded out to Morris softly.

Dude is having some bad luck right now.

Joseph
04-16-2006, 09:42 PM
The loss is disappointing, but to say 'awful, terrible, pathetic' etc is going way overboard.

Every team loses some games its leading in the 9th. The team played the Cards really well and that bodes well for the season IMO.

Phillips has potential, which is more that what we'll give the Indians for him.

Arroyo has swung a solid stick this season and he's hardly the first pitcher to fail to lay one down.

Q Mc bunted because he was trying to get on base. Don't know about you, but last time I checked he wasn't a power hitter.

And Pujols is going to get his, down the middle or in the dirt, he's going to get his. He's the best player in the game, as much as I hate to admit that.

Don't jump off a bridge over a loss, don't print playoff tickets after a win.

Heath
04-16-2006, 09:44 PM
i was hoping this thread was about someone's bad Easter Dinner experience.

The baseball game today was disappointing, but not bad. I saw more positives today than the final score indicated.

paintmered
04-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Put any closer in there and Pujols still has a decent chance of hitting a walk-off home run (leadoff runner notwithstanding). The guy is the best hitter in the game. He deserves some credit.

Besides, if you don't pitch to Pujols in that situation, the winning run is on base with Rolen at bat. That's not so rosy either.

I can come up with situations today where the mighty Cards failed to execute too (Juan Encarnacion). It happens.

flyer85
04-16-2006, 10:06 PM
It's one loss and was not fun to watch but in the end I highly doubt this game will cost them a playoff berth.

Falls City Beer
04-16-2006, 10:15 PM
In the end, this loss was birthed, reared, nursed by Mr. Arroyo. I watched the game--they took him to school.

Patrick Bateman
04-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Old Wives Tale #67

All home runs are on pitches down the middle (mistake pitches).

Pujols is the majors best hitter. He does hit good pitches too.

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Phillips should be playing because we need to improve the defense.

Patrick Bateman
04-16-2006, 10:22 PM
For the recoed, I thought that McCraken trying to bunt was a smart idea. He's not a HR hitter, and it's more likely to catch them napping in that situation.

Secondly, Ross was removed as part of a double switch, after Valentin pinch hit.

flyer85
04-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Old Wives Tale #67

All home runs are on pitches down the middle (mistake pitches).

Pujols is the majors best hitter. He does hit good pitches too.for 95+% of the HRs the former is true, in the case of Pujols the latter is often true which is of course why he is the best hitter in the majors.

savafan
04-16-2006, 11:45 PM
FWIW, it's nice to see Austin Kearns raking at the plate.

2001MUgrad
04-16-2006, 11:56 PM
A loss is never good. But, I thought it was actually a pretty good game. Not the best played game I've ever seen, but there was never a dull moment either. Beats the heck out of yesterdays game though.

TeamBoone
04-17-2006, 12:20 AM

I was upset that he always swung at the first pitch.

I'm relatively sure that wasn't his decision, aren't you?

He can. We've seen him do it. Just not today.

markymark69
04-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Put any closer in there and Pujols still has a decent chance of hitting a walk-off home run (leadoff runner notwithstanding). The guy is the best hitter in the game. He deserves some credit.

Besides, if you don't pitch to Pujols in that situation, the winning run is on base with Rolen at bat. That's not so rosy either.

I can come up with situations today where the mighty Cards failed to execute too (Juan Encarnacion). It happens.

Paint,
I agree with you that Pujols will get his, but you can't let him beat you!!!! I would have put him on, but not by walking him, by plunking him in the ribs or the rear end. I know that goes against covential wisdom (and is actually not very nice), but I could see his third homer of the game coming a mile away, if we pitched to him, we did and it did. Unfortunately.

The good news, it's only one game. I hope it does not have a negative lasting effect. It was a great game and the Reds showed a lot of grit coming back, just couldn't get it done today.

redsrule2500
04-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Do what I did. Turn off the TV. Turn off the Radio. Take a deep breath! Count to 10 and its all better :)

I just vented about how i hated pujols and such. I do hate him.

wheels
04-17-2006, 12:36 AM

At least you haven't started calling for a boycott yet.:laugh:

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Neg him
http://www.redszone.com/forums/member.php?u=4104
;)

wheels
04-17-2006, 12:40 AM
If the Reds had a dominant relief pitcher, this game would have been won.

Arroyo will have his bad days. We've seen how good he can be, and now we've seen how bad he can be, but the offense provided enough runs to win, but without a clampdown guy at the beck end, games like today will continue to happen.

Today's game was a microcosm of what will be the 2006 season.

I'm starting to get used to it.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2006, 01:19 AM

I gained even more respect for Mr. Scott Rolen after again watching the highlights of the game on ESPN. After he hit his homerun he just simply dropped his head and ran around the bases. What a classy individual who never shows anyone up. I love watching that guy. Everytime a ball is hit his way you just know it's an automatic out.

Pujols could learn a thing or two from Rolen. Pujols walks 10 feet down the line, throws his bat to the ground, and watches his homerun until it lands. As for the walkoff homerun, :angry: . Pujols hopped in the air as if he had just hit a walkoff homerun in game 7 of the World Series - reminded me of Joe Carter's celebration in 1993. And to top it off, as he was rounding third he started running like he was Forest Gump. Dude, you just won your seventh game of the regular season, not the World Series.

savafan
04-17-2006, 01:25 AM
I gained even more respect for Mr. Scott Rolen after again watching the highlights of the game on ESPN. After he hit his homerun he just simply dropped his head and ran around the bases. What a classy individual who never shows anyone up. I love watching that guy. Everytime a ball is hit his way you just know it's an automatic out.

It's too bad Reds' ownership wouldn't approve the added payroll to bring him to Cincinnati.

wheels
04-17-2006, 01:32 AM

Pujols could learn a thing or two from Rolen. Pujols walks 10 feet down the line, throws his bat to the ground, and watches his homerun until it lands. As for the walkoff homerun, :angry: . Pujols hopped in the air as if he had just hit a walkoff homerun in game 7 of the World Series - reminded me of Joe Carter's celebration in 1993. And to top it off, as he was rounding third he started running like he was Forest Gump. Dude, you just won your seventh game of the regular season, not the World Series.

Deep......Cleansing breaths.......Count to ten.

Relax.

Breathe.....

:laugh:

WMR
04-17-2006, 01:38 AM
I feel my blood pressure starting to rise just reading some of OBM's posts! ;)

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2006, 01:58 AM
It's too bad Reds' ownership wouldn't approve the added payroll to bring him to Cincinnati.

Yep. Rolen has always been one of my favorites. He is the best defensive third sacker that I have ever seen play. It seems like he gets to every ball hit his way.

BoydsOfSummer
04-17-2006, 02:10 AM
One of those bombs and possibly two were inside enough to jam up a mere mortal hitter. Pujols...not so much. Give the guy credit,he's probably the best hitter in the game right now, no matter who is pitching.

kyred14
04-17-2006, 02:43 AM
Neg him
http://www.redszone.com/forums/member.php?u=4104
;)

His reputation is -18 :laugh:

djsauter
04-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Okay, maybe I was overreacting. The point is though, what mad me mad, is that we were so close, yet we gave it away. Fought so hard, then gave the game away on stupid mistakes.

I don't care, just never pitch to Pujols again please.

Can we call some crappy pitcher up for the sole purpose of beaming Pujols?

westofyou
04-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Can we call some crappy pitcher up for the sole purpose of beaming Pujols?Why?

The crappy ones we have aren't good enough?

savafan
04-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Okay, maybe I was overreacting. The point is though, what mad me mad, is that we were so close, yet we gave it away. Fought so hard, then gave the game away on stupid mistakes.

That's what the Reds do when facing the Cardinals. If I recall correctly, the Reds blew a 9th inning 7 run lead to the Cardinals last year.

Heath
04-17-2006, 02:16 PM
That's what the Reds do when facing the Cardinals. If I recall correctly, the Reds blew a 9th inning 7 run lead to the Cardinals last year.

Flashback to the Gravy-Train....

http://reds.enquirer.com/2002/06/30/gravy_150x200.jpg

Heath
04-17-2006, 02:17 PM

IIRC, Rolen wanted to come to Cincinnati, but he wouldn't negotiate with the Reds until after the season.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2006, 02:32 PM
IIRC, Rolen wanted to come to Cincinnati, but he wouldn't negotiate with the Reds until after the season.

IIRC, the deal was already in place but Lindner wouldn't approve it because he thought baseball was going to strike later on in the year.

Chip R
04-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Can we call some crappy pitcher up for the sole purpose of beaming Pujols?

This guy isn't a pitcher but he Knows How To Beam.

http://www.dreamers.com/menhir/strek/actor/doohan2.jpg

Heath
04-17-2006, 02:47 PM
IIRC, the deal was already in place but Lindner wouldn't approve it because he thought baseball was going to strike later on in the year.

You might be right - So I guess, IDRC.

I thought there was another trade out their around the same time that didn't go down because of FA. Oh well - gettin' old I guess.

redsfan30
04-17-2006, 02:58 PM
I thought they were going to trade Brandon Larson, Scott Williamson and somebody else for him in the summer of 2002.

I remember they called a "major" news conference for later that afternoon and everyone and his brother thought it was to announce that the Reds had aquired Scott Rolen, but it turned out to be an announcement that they had extended Bob Boone.

Reds1
04-17-2006, 03:02 PM
That game was not even close to opening day. I'd even say that game wasn't as bad as the game against the Cubs where we had 5 ERRORS. :)

Pujols is just that good. Yes, maybe walk him, but hey Rolen on deck - it may not have mattered.

The fact is we were 3-3 on the road trip. Like Narron said 4-2 would have been great, but 3-3 was good.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2006, 03:02 PM
You might be right - So I guess, IDRC.

I thought there was another trade out their around the same time that didn't go down because of FA. Oh well - gettin' old I guess.

You may be thinking of the Bartolo Colon deal?

Heath
04-17-2006, 03:36 PM
This guy isn't a pitcher but he Knows How To Beam.

http://www.dreamers.com/menhir/strek/actor/doohan2.jpg

Here's a guy Who Knew How to Ream -

http://espn-att.starwave.com/classic/2000/1006/photo/c_martin3_i.jpg

Albert Pujols
04-17-2006, 04:08 PM
come on guys, i'm the best player in baseball, its ok to lose to me

Heath
04-17-2006, 04:10 PM
come on guys, i'm the best player in baseball, its ok to lose to me

who did you take typing lessons from, captnmorgan? ;)

MattyHo4Life
04-17-2006, 06:19 PM
I thought they were going to trade Brandon Larson, Scott Williamson and somebody else for him in the summer of 2002.

I remember they called a "major" news conference for later that afternoon and everyone and his brother thought it was to announce that the Reds had aquired Scott Rolen, but it turned out to be an announcement that they had extended Bob Boone.

I remember how close that deal was to happening. The Phillies GM told Walt Jocketty that he was going to accept the Reds offer, because it was better than what the Cardinals could offer. Jocketty later on said that he thought they were out of the running. Then when the Reds backed out of the deal, Jocketty made an offer that was less then what he originally offered, and the deal was done.

joshnky
04-17-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that today's Reds game was the worst game yet of the year. Yes, a 8-7 loss is the worst loss yet. Not opening day, not Williams, but today's game.

Why is Brandon Phillips in the major leagues??

Why did we take out Ross..wasnt he like 2 for 4..to bring in old Javy?

You are in for a long year if a 8-7 walk off loss to the Cards tears you up this bad. I hate that we lost but at the same time I felt it was a good game and in the end we lost because they had the best player on the field. He singlehandedly beat us and while hindsight is 20/20 its easy to say now that we should have walked him every time up. Lets remember that Rolen is no slouch either.