PDA

View Full Version : Time for Griffey to play 1B

Reds1
04-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I just think it's that time in his career to make the move. It's tough to do it now that the season has started and they won't, but I think he needs to start working on it and maybe get into some blowout game at 1B to get ready for next season.

I love Griffey and hope he stays a Red, but he hurt himself shagging flyballs. We don't have a true 1B anyways and Freel could stay in CF. Play Aurilia at 2B and here's your line up.

Freel
Lopez
Griffey
Dunn
Kearns
EE
Aurlia
Valentine/LaRue

Can we just say wow! That's a great line up.

I am going on this idea as I have been told he was a good infielder. Now, if he sucks then no, but I would think he would be athletic enough. He's a lefty and if I recall he said one time he was a better infielder. Well, I don't know about that, but I personally think it time. Any thoughts!

dougdirt
04-17-2006, 05:21 PM
He would have done the same thing as a first baseman. He still would have been out there catching batting practice balls.

reds44
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
No.

Griffey to left Dunn to 1st. IMO, Junior would be a GREAT defensive left fielder. If he gets to it, it is money in the bank he is going to catch it. Only problem for him is range.

Reds1
04-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Who knows. I know he can get hurt in practice, etc. I have always said this same argument, but I think now he needs to save those legs and lessen the opportunities to get hurt.

Reds44. LF gets a lot of action too! I'm not sure Dunn will even play 1b. It's been weird that he hasn't even had a start there. I've never seen griff play the IF, but if he is as good as I've heard in the past I think it's time.

kheidg-
04-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Well, a move is likely going to happen sooner or later - but there is no way he'd ever move to a different position midseason after playing his whole career in CF.

Reds1
04-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Well, a move is likely going to happen sooner or later - but there is no way he'd ever move to a different position midseason after playing his whole career in CF.

I agree with you! They also love Hateberg and now Aurilia getting some time. I just think it's time for 1st or at least LF, but then I'm not sure what you do with the rest of the team assuming Dunn won't go to 1B. I guess AK can play CF, but then move Dunn to RF. OUCH.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 05:30 PM
No spot on the field will keep him any healthier, we should put him in a spot that his D won't be so bad, LF.

Johnny Footstool
04-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, we've talked about it on RedsZone for a while. The Reds' medical staff and KGJ himself seem to think that the stretching required for a first baseman would be harder on his legs than the sprinting and stopping in the OF.

I can't say I agree with that thinking, but they're the doctors.