PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the end for Womack?

BigRed
04-17-2006, 11:10 PM
If Jason LaRue is ready to come off the DL, I am betting that they release Tony Womack. Not starting him tonight at 2B against a right hander is the handwriting on the wall. Phillips also appears to be the future every day 2B in the Reds' eyes. I can't see them releasing Ross or sending out a pitcher.

reds44
04-17-2006, 11:11 PM
I hope so.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Doubt it.

deltachi8
04-17-2006, 11:12 PM
i think Jr.'s injury probably buys Woe-mack 10 days-2 weeks as I think Jr is placed on the DL and Jason activated.

redsrule2500
04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
If they release him now I'm not sure what the point of getting him to begin with was. Well, I'm still not sure of that

danforsman
04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Hal said in the 2nd inning on the radio that Narron wants to keep 3 catchers. They both agreed that Womack is the odd man out, and I do too, for the reasons that you stated. Brandon Phillips appears to have (mercifully) passed T-Woe on the depth chart.

captainmorgan07
04-17-2006, 11:15 PM
phillips is hittin the ball hard and playing good defense he and freel should split time but if juniors out for extended period freel in cf and phillips at 2nd

BigRed
04-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Reds Rule: as we know that was a Dan O move, so there obviously was no point to it.

reds44
04-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Ok since Junior is now on the DL, Mr. Womack just bought himself some time.

corkedbat
04-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah, it's still too early to proclaim BP the future, but he should be given every opportunity to make it so. I've wanted an athletic 2B who plays steller D for a couple of years now. Hopefully, BP's the man.

Heck, with this lineup he doesn't even have to hit a ton as long as he plays solid D and pitches in with a game like tonight every once in a while.

Who knows? If he's willing to re-address his hitting approach and work with Chambliss to get back to the kind of game that made him a top prospect, we may even have a bonifide steal on our hands.

Now, if we could find a young slugging 1B to go with Phillips, FeLo and EdE.

BRM
04-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Hal said in the 2nd inning on the radio that Narron wants to keep 3 catchers.

I really don't understand this at all. However, if it gets Womack off the roster, I'm all for it.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 11:32 PM
If it's so Val can be a PH so they have an emergency catcher then make Val the backup 1b and dump Hatteberg.

Otherwise with a 12 man staff it makes the rest of the bench extremely short, 1 backup OF :dunno:

2001MUgrad
04-17-2006, 11:33 PM
The Griffey to the DL buys the Reds almost another 2 weeks to decide what to do now. IMO it hasn't been decided, but Womack seems to be the likely player out, but if 3 catchers are going to remain on the roster there is always a chance it could be Hattieberg because Valentin could play first also.

alexad
04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
The Griffey to the DL buys the Reds almost another 2 weeks to decide what to do now. IMO it hasn't been decided, but Womack seems to be the likely player out, but if 3 catchers are going to remain on the roster there is always a chance it could be Hattieberg because Valentin could play first also.

The Reds will actually have 4 catchers on the roster when Larue comes back..

NatiRedGals
04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Whocares :) I dont want to drop Womack why is everyone aganist him

Big Klu
04-17-2006, 11:46 PM

Four?

Are you counting Hatteberg as a catcher? Because I would only consider him at that position in an emergency.

edabbs44
04-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Whocares :) I dont want to drop Womack why is everyone aganist him

Because he is only useful as a pinch runner.

2001MUgrad
04-17-2006, 11:52 PM

I saw you post this in another tread. Please share with me the 1 I'm leaving off?? And please don't say Hatteberg, I can't see that he's played catcher since 2001.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Because he is only useful as a pinch runner.
Even that is debatable.

tbball10
04-18-2006, 12:12 AM
although i don't think womack has played bad at all when he's actually been in the lineup, i don't think we lose anything with phillips in there instead, and he's younger. someone has to go though, because we can't spend the rest of the season with 4 2nd basemen on the roster.

wolfboy
04-18-2006, 12:20 AM
although i don't think womack has played bad at all when he's actually been in the lineup, i don't think we lose anything with phillips in there instead, and he's younger. someone has to go though, because we can't spend the rest of the season with 4 2nd basemen on the roster.

Not only is Phillips younger, but, he has the potential to become something. Womack gives you poor defense and poor offense. Phillips has a track record of good defense, and could come around at the plate. I think the logical move is to dump Womack when a roster spot is needed.

kyred14
04-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Womack released? HA!

Not only won't he be released, he will be starting at 2B and leading off tomorrow.

pedro
04-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Womack released? HA!

Not only won't he be released, he will be starting at 2B and leading off tomorrow.

The Reds are facing a lefty tomorrow and wednesday so i wouldn't expect to see Womack in there either way the next two days.

Superdude
04-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Now, if we could find a young slugging 1B to go with Phillips, FeLo and EdE.

Votto baby! He's starting to regain some of the prospect status that the FSL sucked out of him last year with a very good showing in AA so far.

M2
04-18-2006, 02:48 AM
Whether this is end for Womack or not, I'll give credit to Narron for limiting Womack's playing time. I didn't think Narron would do that and he has.

edabbs44
04-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Even that is debatable.

Sorry...only because he is faster than average.

redsmetz
04-18-2006, 09:40 AM
If they release him now I'm not sure what the point of getting him to begin with was. Well, I'm still not sure of that

Keep in mind, Womack wasn't a Kriskey move. It never made any sense in the first place. One almost wonders if Dan O. saw the writing on the wall and wanted to scotch things up as much as possible (I don't believe that, but you wonder sometimes).

Ravenlord
04-18-2006, 09:42 AM
i believe Kullman has said that Womack was acquired because Aurilia rejected arbitration.

M2
04-18-2006, 10:10 AM
i believe Kullman has said that Womack was acquired because Aurilia rejected arbitration.

I don't doubt that it's true, but how insane was Dan O'Brien? It takes a seriously twisted mind to decide that the prospect of Rich Aurilia walking out the door necessitates that you spring an immediate trade for Tony Womack.

RFS62
04-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I don't doubt that it's true, but how insane was Dan O'Brien? It takes a seriously twisted mind to decide that the prospect of Rich Aurilia walking out the door necessitates that you spring an immediate trade for Tony Womack.

No kidding.

Chip R
04-18-2006, 12:08 PM

Just be glad he's in MIL instead of here. If the Brewers are smart they will just let him scout and ignore everything he says. Of course if they were smart they wouldn't have hired him in the first place.

membengal
04-18-2006, 12:55 PM

Understatement of the year.

Certainly, as we have all seen, there were plenty of 2b available as the spring wore one should Aurilia actually have left...

RichRed
04-18-2006, 01:21 PM
I saw you post this in another tread. Please share with me the 1 I'm leaving off?? And please don't say Hatteberg, I can't see that he's played catcher since 2001.

Maybe Narron is the 4th catcher. ;)

traderumor
04-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Just be glad he's in MIL instead of here. If the Brewers are smart they will just let him scout and ignore everything he says. Of course if they were smart they wouldn't have hired him in the first place.I don't know how anything other than the buddy system got DanO yet another job. He proved that he is no scout here in spades. Maybe Milwaukee is using him to help overhaul the filing system in the front office. If they have him in a job that requires an expert opinion in the area of talent evaluation, they'd do just as well to ask an intern.

flyer85
04-18-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't know how anything other than the buddy system got DanO yet another job. He proved that he is no scout here in spades. Maybe Milwaukee is using him to help overhaul the filing system in the front office. ... must be transitioning to binders, maybe DanO let them use his personal stash free of charge.

RichRed
04-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Whether this is end for Womack or not, I'll give credit to Narron for limiting Womack's playing time. I didn't think Narron would do that and he has.

Just curious, do you folks think this was likely a directive from Krivsky or Narron acting on his own? Either way, I'm not complaining.

traderumor
04-18-2006, 02:08 PM
... must be transitioning to binders, maybe DanO let them use his personal stash free of charge.The Reds will probably be able to increase the draft budget with the savings in office supplies expense. ;)

M2
04-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Just curious, do you folks think this was likely a directive from Krivsky or Narron acting on his own? Either way, I'm not complaining.

Good question. I was wondering the same thing. It could be marching orders from Krivsky or it could be Narron or it could be a little bit of both. I gave credit to Narron because even if it's a directive from above, he's implemented it seamlessly.

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Maybe Narron is the 4th catcher. ;)
He's 1st..he just neve plays :D

RichRed
04-18-2006, 03:55 PM
He's 1st..he just neve plays :D

Why not? He's scrappy and he's filled to the brim with cagey vetness.

:)