Matt700wlw
04-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Figures you'd beat me to it Matt ;)

Delete my thread...

I tried.

:)

LexingtonRedsFan
04-17-2006, 11:16 PM
That sucks....but it allows the reds to bring up larue without having to make another move....

captainmorgan07
04-17-2006, 11:18 PM
aslong as he's healthy when he comes back im fine with it we all expected him to be on the dl sometime better sooner than later

reds44
04-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Oh no. This may mean we see Tony Womack in the outfield. That ain't good. The good news is, this means A. Freel is playing everyday, and B. BP will be the everyday second baseman for now.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 11:21 PM
3 catchers.

Yikes.

Matt700wlw
04-17-2006, 11:22 PM
If Larue has a "setback" or a trade is made, Denorfia could be called up.

Raisor
04-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Now would be the time to release Womack. Call up Denforia, play him everyday in CF, and play Freel everyday at 2B.

IslandRed
04-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Oh no. This may mean we see Tony Womack in the outfield. That ain't good. The good news is, this means A. Freel is playing everyday, and B. BP will be the everyday second baseman for now.

They still have McCracken to help out. My guess is that Womack sticks around as a spare MI so that Freel can play CF exclusively while Griffey's out. When Griffey comes back... of course, that still leaves them a hand short in the outfield for the next 10 days. I wouldn't be shocked if they bring up either Denorfia or pinch-hitter bait like Abad while cutting/demoting a pitcher. The starters have been getting enough innings that we probably don't need to carry 12 pitchers right now.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Now would be the time to release Womack. Call up Denforia, play him everyday in CF, and play Freel everyday at 2B.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That would be too easy.

Aronchis
04-17-2006, 11:25 PM

That is much much to sane;)

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 11:26 PM
When Griffey comes back... of course, that still leaves them a hand short in the outfield for the next 10 days.
That assumes JR returns that quick, I doubt he does.

flynn78
04-17-2006, 11:29 PM
As I said on the game thread:
Jim Day announces that it was a single gunman and Kremchek and Krivsky were not on the grassy knoll. The Reds have become as reliable on Griffey as CIA intelligence.

IslandRed
04-17-2006, 11:30 PM
That assumes JR returns that quick, I doubt he does.

It would be nice if they could figure out what the... is wrong with him. Although I noticed it didn't take them long to make the DL call once they got back to Cincinnati and Kremchek's office.

2001MUgrad
04-17-2006, 11:31 PM
More reasons not to beleive anything the Reds medical staff ever says.

Big Klu
04-17-2006, 11:37 PM
More reasons not to beleive anything the Reds medical staff ever says.

Why do you say that? I thought that today was the first time that Doc Hollywood has examined him. Kremchek made the diagnosis, and the Reds DL'ed him.

NatiRedGals
04-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Knew it was coming no surprise here

flyer85
04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
They still have McCracken to help out.they will need someone to announce the arrival of ze plane

2001MUgrad
04-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Why do you say that? I thought that today was the first time that Doc Hollywood has examined him. Kremchek made the diagnosis, and the Reds DL'ed him.

Why does it take a 5 days to figure out he needs to be on the DL. It was reported that he ran today for 15 mins and was day to day before the game. It was also reported that he ran on the treadmill on Saturday unsure of the length. Far too many times the past few years has an injury gone from day to day, to DL, to surgery. I wouldn't blame any 1 person thats why I'm saying the Reds Medical staff.

GridironGrace
04-17-2006, 11:53 PM
I dont see anywhere on reds.com that says he's on the DL ?????

lol confused i guess :(

indyred
04-18-2006, 12:08 AM
How many years are left on his deal and for how much money.......

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 12:09 AM
He'll be a FA after the 2009 season

flyer85
04-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Reds hold an option for 2009 which they will not pick up. His deal runs out after 2008.

paintmered
04-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Why does it take a 5 days to figure out he needs to be on the DL. It was reported that he ran today for 15 mins and was day to day before the game. It was also reported that he ran on the treadmill on Saturday unsure of the length. Far too many times the past few years has an injury gone from day to day, to DL, to surgery. I wouldn't blame any 1 person thats why I'm saying the Reds Medical staff.

Downplaying injuries is standard practice with many organizations, not just the reds.

I'm assuming he was placed on the DL retroactive to the last day he played.

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Reds hold an option for 2009 which they will not pick up. His deal runs out after 2008.
I thought the option was mutual?

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Ahh here we go
http://redsinsite.com/cms/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=8
4 million buyout

Heath
04-18-2006, 12:26 AM
they will need someone to announce the arrival of ze plane

Look at Javier Valentin closely. Separate him from Ricardo's little Buddy on Fantasy Island.

flyer85
04-18-2006, 12:37 AM
I thought the option was mutual?which would mean they both have to accept it(however, I think it is a team option but it really makes no differnce).

GridironGrace
04-18-2006, 01:03 AM
reds.com link for the article.. official :)

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060417&content_id=1405763&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Caveat Emperor
04-18-2006, 02:26 AM
If Larue has a "setback" or a trade is made, Denorfia could be called up.

They'll call LaRue up tomorrow.

Playing the Optomist for a while (because even I have to look on the bright side every so often), I'd say that Junior is OK and they're just giving him some precautionary time off.

This move is conveniently timed to allow them to bring LaRue back from the DL and not have to make a hard decision about what to do with the roster. Now this buys them a week and a half to figure out who is going and who is staying. If they knew Griffey probably wouldn't be ready for a few more days, this move makes complete sense.

Now they've got until Friday to work a trade or some other roster move to keep all their optionless guys around.

Topcat
04-18-2006, 04:41 AM
Strained bicept tendon (knee).

Eligible to come off next Friday

Good move why chance making it become even more severe. Early in the season and the team is competing well. I am RED'S fan and realize 82 wins would be a great step forward. The doom and gloomers are far as i am concerned are bandwaggoners. alot of work is needed for the REDS, but atleast noiw i see progress even if it is marginal at this time.

redsfan30
04-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I really don't think it's anything major, just playing it cautious this early in the year. However, the fact that the stiffness keeps coming back does worry me a bit.

MartyFan
04-18-2006, 10:34 AM

I could not agree more...should have been done by now but this move makes so much sense.

membengal
04-18-2006, 10:46 AM
It is what it is. The team will still hit a ton. The team will defend better in the short term without him. Hope he gets better soon. Won't hold my breath either way...

Casey_21
04-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Looks like I'm an idiot when it comes to Griffs. I never really followed up on his injuries before, so this time, I was dumb enough to believe FO. Better start listening to you guys a little more, eh? Lol,, FO is scandelous.

bengalred
04-18-2006, 12:07 PM
It is hard for me to believe that they had to wait this long to find out his injury is bad. I heard yesterday that he was running on the treadmil, and very close to coming back. Who knows.....

Jpup
04-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Here is the story from the AP:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2411903

CINCINNATI -- Ken Griffey Jr. went on the 15-day disabled list Monday night after a test found inflammation in a tendon behind his right knee.

The Cincinnati Reds center fielder missed his fifth straight game with the injury, getting a magnetic resonance imaging test instead. He was put on the DL after a 9-1 victory over the Florida Marlins.

"You don't want it to get worse," Dr. Timothy Kremchek said. "The season's young. I think he's got peace of mind, and we've got peace of mind."

Griffey ran on a treadmill for 12 minutes earlier Monday and reported some improvement, but still felt tightness behind the knee. He wasn't available in the clubhouse after he was placed on the disabled list.

"It's as much a precautionary thing," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "It's not anything serious. According to the doctor, he could be playing in a day or two, but we'd rather be safe at this time of year."

The Reds are expected to activate catcher Jason LaRue before Tuesday's game. LaRue has been on a minor league assignment while recovering from knee surgery.

It's the latest in a series of setbacks for the 36-year-old Griffey, who came to spring training healthy for a change and was hoping to get through the season without a stay on the disabled list.

Griffey didn't expect the injury to take so long to heal. He first felt tightness behind the knee while he chased a fly ball during batting practice last Wednesday in Chicago. He left the game during the fourth inning because the leg was bothering him.

"It's tough," Griffey said, before Monday's game. "I hate to not be playing, more than anything."

Griffey won the NL's comeback player of the year award last season, when he played in 128 games and hit .301 with 35 homers and 92 RBI. He hadn't played more than 83 games in any of the three previous seasons, when he suffered a series of major injuries -- torn knee tendon, dislocated shoulder, torn ankle tissue, torn hamstring.

Griffey was healthy in spring training this year, and looked sharp during the World Baseball Classic. He hit a pair of homers before injuring the leg last week.

The series of setbacks taught Griffey the importance of being patient while an injury heals.

"I think I understand a little more now," he said. "I still have the same urge and desire to be out there."

savafan
04-18-2006, 01:35 PM
I especially like this part of the story:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0418griffeyweb.html

On Monday, after a six-day trip to St. Louis and Chicago, amazingly during which not a single doctor looked at the troublesome knee, Griffey was examined by team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek and an MRI was taken. The media were told the results of that examination would be revealed early in the game, but nothing happened until the media gathered in the postgame clubhouse.

Jpup
04-18-2006, 01:40 PM

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0418griffeyweb.html

On Monday, after a six-day trip to St. Louis and Chicago, amazingly during which not a single doctor looked at the troublesome knee, Griffey was examined by team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek and an MRI was taken. The media were told the results of that examination would be revealed early in the game, but nothing happened until the media gathered in the postgame clubhouse.

consider the source. just sayin...

I need another source to confirm such a report. i could have sworn they said it was looked at by the medical staff last week.

Chip R
04-18-2006, 01:46 PM

You know, when that happened, I half jokingly said that Kremchek would be flying into CHI ASAP because I expected him to be come in and take a look at him. I have to admit I was quite surprised they didn't bring him in to look at him.

flyer85
04-18-2006, 01:54 PM
like it or not Jr has the legs of an old man(not unlike Red Green). There is no way he can make it through the strain of playing OF for a season, much less CF.

I stated before the season that counting on Jr to play more than 100 games was foolishness(not that he won't just the odds are stacked against it). It makes me wonder if the Reds/Jr will ever give in to the fact that Father Time and injuries have robbed of his speed and healthy legs. There will be no happy ending to this saga.

Big Klu
04-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Any word yet on who gets the call? I assume that LaRue will be activated, but has there been anything official yet?

CySeymour
04-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Any word yet on who gets the call? I assume that LaRue will be activated, but has there been anything official yet?

I don't even see where it's offical that Jr. is on the DL...how long before game time does the team have to make the transaction?

Heath
04-18-2006, 06:34 PM
I don't even see where it's offical that Jr. is on the DL...how long before game time does the team have to make the transaction?

It was announced after last night's game.

Whether its Today or Yesterday or Tomorrow, anything will be retroactive until last Friday.

He's eligible to come off the same day the Reds open a series at home against Houston. That day is Friday, April 28th. Ironically enough, the Reds have an off day on the 27th.

CySeymour
04-18-2006, 06:36 PM

Whether its Today or Yesterday or Tomorrow, anything will be retroactive until last Friday.

He's eligible to come off the same day the Reds open a series at home against Houston. That day is Friday, April 28th. Ironically enough, the Reds have an off day on the 27th.

Ok...but what about the corresponding transaction to replace Jr.? How long before game time can the announce it and still have that player eligible for the game?

Big Klu
04-18-2006, 06:37 PM

Actually, last Thursday. The last game in which Jr. played was last Wednesday at Chicago.

Heath
04-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Ok...but what about the corresponding transaction to replace Jr.? How long before game time can the announce it and still have that player eligible for the game?

I don't think there's a statute of limitations on that. If you want to carry 24 people, I think you can carry 24. I'm sure the union might file a grievence against the team for having an 'empty' spot.

My guess is that when LaRue can pack his gear and head up the highway, he's in.

membengal
04-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Marty actually doing a service in the pre-game with Narron:

Marty: "Jerry, why didn't a doctor see Jr. at any point in Chicago or St. Louis?"

Jerry: "I honestly don't know Marty, I have not thought about it."

There you go. The right question, eliciting an oddly honest answer...

KYRedsFan
04-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Junior and hamstring injuries. Nothing but trouble. The whole knee stiffness thing was bunk.

George Foster
04-19-2006, 12:34 AM

Why did it take so long for Dr. Kremcheck to check him out? There are no planes form Chicago, St. louis to Cincinnati? What is that a 30min ride?

Big Klu
04-19-2006, 02:14 AM
You would have to ask the Reds and Griffey that one. But remember, Dr. Kremchek is not at the Reds' beck and call. He actually has a practice outside of the ballclub.