PDA

View Full Version : Griffey on DL

redsrule2500
04-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Just on FSN

captainmorgan07
04-17-2006, 10:20 PM
we need him healthy if a trip to the dl does it it's still early in the season the offense will pick up for him

top6
04-17-2006, 10:22 PM
was there ever any doubt that this would happen once he was listed as "day to day"?

GMs may come and go; owners may come and go, but one thing remains constant. The Reds front office will never be honest about Griffey's injuries.

M2
04-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Well there's the least shocking thing I've heard all day.

I doubt anyone seriously believed there was nothing to Jr.'s injury. Nothing is simple about that man's legs.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Seems that unless JR plays the very next day then he's DL bound.

alexad
04-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Not a good sign, but atleast we can hope he gets better so he can come back. Freel gets his chance to play everyday.

It might save Womack since Larue will take Jr.'s spot on the roster.

guttle11
04-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Meh, if they retroactive it, he could be back in a little over a week.

Matt700wlw
04-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Meh, if they retroactive it, he could be back in a little over a week.

They did. He's eligible to come off next friday.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Anyone expect him back that fast?

Red in Chicago
04-17-2006, 10:58 PM
i just don't get the big secret with him and the dl...it really makes no sense...he is not the same drawing card that he once was years ago, so why all the mystery...

M2
04-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Anyone expect him back that fast?

Nope. Doesn't even sound like they know what's wrong with him yet.

SirFelixCat
04-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Well, we lose an OF. Does it make sense to unload Womack and activate Larue and bring up DeNo to play everyday? Sure it does. Will it happen? Nah...

And while it's no surprise, it aggrivates the doggie poo outta me that the FO continues to feed us, well, :censored:

Henry Clay
04-17-2006, 11:45 PM
I don't understand why Griffey had to wait the duration of the road trip, staying with the team the entire time, rather than just flying home to see Kremchek. If Castellini will fly LaRue round trip in a day to have knee surgery, one would think he would foot the bill to get Griffey to the team doctor or vice versa. In yesterday's broadcast, I heard it mentioned that Griffey would see Kremchek today. I immediately wondered why the team was waiting. Now that the examination yielded the result of the 15 day DL, I am really perplexed about the delay. An extra player might not have helped the team on Saturday or Sunday, but the presence of Wagner, Denorfia, or even LaRue would have been better than a non-participant Griffey. The Reds have been bad about leaving 25 man roster spots empty over the years. I can recall the players complaining about it two GMs ago. I'm going to give the team the benefit of the doubt and assume that Griffey thought he was turning a corner each day, but I still think the team should use the team physician as soon as possible in every case where the DL is a possibility, a player has a history of injuries, or a player has a high value to the club. Griffey falls into all 3 categories, so I really don't understand the benefit of waiting out the road trip. Even with the prospect of a Delta strike, planes do travel between St. Louis, Chicago, and Cincinnati.

WMR
04-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Not to mention he was running on a freaking treadmill... jeez this organization

Henry Clay
04-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Not to mention he was running on a freaking treadmill... jeez this organization

I don't want to suggest that Griffey isn't trying. I just think the team doctor needs to get involved as soon as possible with Griffey whenever he has a leg problem of any kind. With Griffey's history of leg problems, which seems to cover both stems, I think the team should take care to make sure the guy isn't seriously injured before he begins some type of rehab or exercise program to loosen things up. Griffey not only takes up a roster spot, but he is close to 20% of the team's payroll. With his history of injuries and value to the team, he needs to get special and immediate attention when anything happens to his legs.

WVPacman
04-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Really is anybody surprised about JR going on the dl?? I an't!! I like Griffey and all but lord I wish he could play ONE ful season without getting hurt.:bang:

I hope he gets better fast!!!!

Caveat Emperor
04-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Nope. Doesn't even sound like they know what's wrong with him yet.

I imagine they're doing this to avoiding having to make a decision on who's going out when they re-activate LaRue tomorrow.

This buys them a week and a half to make a decision or work the phones on a trade.

WMR
04-18-2006, 12:03 AM
I don't want to suggest that Griffey isn't trying. I just think the team doctor needs to get involved as soon as possible with Griffey whenever he has a leg problem of any kind. With Griffey's history of leg problems, which seems to cover both stems, I think the team should take care to make sure the guy isn't seriously injured before he begins some type of rehab or exercise program to loosen things up. Griffey not only takes up a roster spot, but he is close to 20% of the team's payroll. With his history of injuries and value to the team, he needs to get special and immediate attention when anything happens to his legs.

Excellent post, Mr. Clay. It seems like that would be clear and very obvious that he shouldn't be allowed to do something as high-impact as treadmill running when his condition hasn't even been diagnosed and his knee tightens right back up whenever the tightness is "massaged out."

Un-freaking-believable.

I am so pissed at the Reds right now. Why Griff wasn't immediately flown back to Cincinnati. Ugh. This handling of Griff is so reminescent of the previous administration... I thought we were moving away from crap like this but apparently not and this is a big mark against this regime IMO.

Reds1
04-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Everyone puts the blame on the FO, etc. I don't think they knew. There was a knot, it got rubbed out. They expected him to be better. It happened a few times and it was always a temporary fix. Now they DL'd him. No secrets, it just took some time. He felt good enough to PH a couple nights. I just don't get it. No mystery here. Nobody is hiding anything. It's not like Griffey is the only one hurting right now. There's lots of freak injuries that happen daily. Let's just hope it works itself out and it's not that serious. It's retro so he's not even gone that much longer and they can delay who LaRue replaces another week or so.

WMR
04-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Everyone puts the blame on the FO, etc. I don't think they knew. There was a knot, it got rubbed out. They expected him to be better. It happened a few times and it was always a temporary fix. Now they DL'd him. No secrets, it just took some time. He felt good enough to PH a couple nights. I just don't get it. No mystery here. Nobody is hiding anything. It's not like Griffey is the only one hurting right now. There's lots of freak injuries that happen daily. Let's just hope it works itself out and it's not that serious. It's retro so he's not even gone that much longer and they can delay who LaRue replaces another week or so.

Junior should be handled with kiddie-kiddie-kid gloves. I would think the past five years would have taught the Reds that.

The Reds have been dishonest at every turn concerning Junior. If they weren't being dishonest in this situation they are still guilty of being incredibly stupid.

WVPacman
04-18-2006, 12:18 AM
You guys don't think Griffey himself had anything to do with this do you?? Were he is such a gamer that wants to play everyday he might have told them to wait a while and see if it gets better.

Henry Clay
04-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Junior should be handled with kiddie-kiddie-kid gloves. I would think the past five years would have taught the Reds that.

The Reds have been dishonest at every turn concerning Junior. If they weren't being dishonest in this situation they are still guilty of being incredibly stupid.

I tend to agree that Griffey needs to be treated with TLC every time he has a leg problem. There are no mysteries here. The guy's wheels have problems. Anyone with a bad back or knees or even a marginally reliable car takes special precautions. A high value athlete with an injury history and 17 years of MLB service should take even more precautions, as should the organization that needs him in the lineup and owes him 3+ years on his contract. I don't think Griffey would be mad or sulk if he were forced onto the DL early per Kremchek's advice, but even if he didn't like it, who cares? RA was forced onto the DL last year and rebounded well with a chip on his shoulder. Kearns was forced to AAA and returned with a similar chip that seems to be generating dividends this year. I don't like heavy handed management, but aggressive treatment of a Griffey injury hardly seems heavy handed, controversial, or unwarranted. If anything, it's the only thing to do from now until the end of the 2009 season.

Henry Clay
04-18-2006, 12:30 AM
You guys don't think Griffey himself had anything to do with this do you?? Were he is such a gamer that wants to play everyday he might have told them to wait a while and see if it gets better.

It might have something to do with Griffey's desire to play, but I wouldn't rely on his judgment. The guy has been treated like a malingerer in Cincinnati in the old Eric Davis tradition. I think Griffey is reluctant to say he is seriously injured after 5 years of injuries. Who can blame him? He has been booed in his hometown and painted as the reason the Reds can't compete on a limited payroll. Reds' management needs to make a rule for Griffey: If it looks like an injury, you are meeting with Kremchek the next day, MRI and all. It makes no sense to wait. A rule like that would shield Griffey a little from criticism and let the front office take the heat if he were placed on the DL early under questionable circumstances. As things stand now, some folks may grumble that Griffey isn't willing to play.

Krusty
04-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Was putting Griffey on the DL retroactive up to five days ago?

Krusty
04-18-2006, 06:43 AM
If Griffey gets healthy, those White Sox trade rumors might get going especially with centerfielder Brian Anderson off to a real slow start in Chicago.

Blimpie
04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
If Griffey gets healthy, those White Sox trade rumors might get going especially with centerfielder Brian Anderson off to a real slow start in Chicago.My man, Krusty...the only person alive who can go to a "Griffey on DL" thread and start busting out trade talks! :beerme: