PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Milton at the deadline?

wolfboy
04-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I was in chat for the game earlier, and Milton's promising start came up as a topic of conversation. I asked whether others would trade Milton at the deadline if he'd had a good first half. Now, when I asked the question, I was going under the assumption that the Reds would not be in contention at the deadline. We've all heard the spin. Milton has to be better this year. So what if he is? Do you deal him at the deadline?

Personally, I'd do it. Teams can have a tendency to overpay for mediocre talent that might get them over the hump. I would hope that Krivsky could get a decent return for Milton. If not, I'd still be happy unloading his contract. GAC made the point that the team needs to get out of a "salary dump" mentality. I can agree with that, but previous management grossly overpaid for average (at best) performers like Casey, Graves, and Milton. The Reds cannot afford to overpay for average. So, if Milton put up the numbers to get a team to bite, I'd ship him in a minute. I might even do it if the team was in contention.

Would you do the same?

reds44
04-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Depends if we are in the hunt or not.

guttle11
04-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Heck, I'd trade him anytime if I could. But if we're not in serious contention at the deadline and he's doing well, I'd sell to the highest bidder.

indyred
04-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Yes.......but i'm sure the Reds would have to pay a portion of his deal......if they only get back prospects.....If they got back a similar contract....then it depends on who it is.............

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Yes.

Superdude
04-18-2006, 12:07 AM
If Milton had a good first half, trading him would pretty much put us out of contention in '07 unless Germano or somebody stepped up big time. If Milton has a low 4 ERA near the deadline, I'd want a pretty decent return if we dealt him.

kyred14
04-18-2006, 01:35 AM
If the Reds had a 20 game lead at the deadline, I would still trade him if the other team was willing to take that awful contract.

M2
04-18-2006, 01:49 AM
If the Reds had a 20 game lead at the deadline, I would still trade him if the other team was willing to take that awful contract.

Me too. I'd trade him yesterday if I could.

SirFelixCat
04-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Flip him for prospects, even if we have to pay some of that contract. You absolutely have to, if the situation presents itself.

Topcat
04-18-2006, 04:36 AM
I for one am very happy that Eric has started well this year. But his Contract is a burden the Red's have to dump along with Griffeys. The $$$$ dollars have to be spent far more prudently in regards to production and ability. I rather spend there combined pay on a Dontrelle or a Pujols than a wish for the best Pitcher and a all so obvious damaged hall of fame (cf) Griffey.

The wasted $$$ spent on the Womacks and the Hammonds and hatteburgs , should be spent on draft choices and fill those roster spots with hungry minor league vets, The Reds need to rebuild and to do that. They need to use the $$$ available in a cost effective manor.

Boss-Hog
04-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Absolutely

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2006, 07:07 AM
Absolutely

What he said.

2001MUgrad
04-18-2006, 08:40 AM
If we are out of the Hunt yes.

If we are in the hunt, no. He will be a big part of the reason if the Reds are still in contention at the deadline.

MartyFan
04-18-2006, 09:39 AM
every day...all the time...yes!

Casey_21
04-18-2006, 10:19 AM
In a heartbeat.

flyer85
04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
I would trade Milton anytime

WVRedsFan
04-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Absolutely

Best answer. Count me in on this one. Get rid of the contract.

Raisor
04-18-2006, 11:08 AM
I'd trade him for a El Camino and a six pack of Ranier beer.

bengalred
04-18-2006, 11:09 AM
If we're in contention, then why would we? And if he's doing badly, than noone would want his big salary anyway. I wish we could get rid of Dave Williams....

BRM
04-18-2006, 11:16 AM

El Camino's are sweet! Much better than the Ranchero.

Puffy
04-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Absolutely

I like to add a "freakin" to this.

Abso-frickin-lutely.

Puffy
04-18-2006, 11:29 AM

President Clinton, is that you???

RedsManRick
04-18-2006, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't think twice about it. BEST CASE scenario, he's barely earning his salary with all kinds of chances that he'll falter. Pay the rest of his 2006 salary, get somebody else to pay for 2007, and grab a solid prospect or three.

Raisor
04-18-2006, 11:34 AM
President Clinton, is that you???

That'd be more like Roger Clinton.

westofyou
04-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Would you trade Milton at the deadline?

Dustin Hoffman: Hey Warren... if you had a chance would you do this movie again?

http://www.thestinkers.com/images3/ishtar-01.jpg

registerthis
04-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I'd deal him for a bag of balls, and the balls are negotiable.

membengal
04-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Of course.

By the way, since I don't want to start a seperate thread...I wish there was some way to pique Jim Bowden's interest about a Reds player or two, so the Reds could go after Nick Johnson. Finally healthy, he is displaying that wicked sharp batting eye again and has begun to add a bit of power. He would look awfully good at 1B in GABP...

TeamSelig
04-18-2006, 12:02 PM
What if he has a 2.50 ERA? Not going to happen, but what if.

TOBTTReds
04-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Wow, I'm very surprised by the responses here. I'd say NO if we are in contention. Especially if his ERA is sub 4.30. But I would trade him after the season.

If I had to rank our pitchers right now, I'd have to go with:

Harang
Milton
Arroyo
Claussen
fill in

Milton might actually be good if healthy. Remember all that talk about our small ballpark and all, but he did much worse on the road last year. I know 9 mil is a lot for next year, but if he is outstanding, then I might keep him. What would we do with that 9 mil? Couldn't sign a better FA pitcher if Milt is good.

Basically I don't trade him this year if we are in contention this year unless he is hurting the team. Offseason.

Caveat Emperor
04-18-2006, 12:07 PM

I'd demand two bags of balls, in that case.

Perhaps a fungo bat to be named later as well.

KoryMac5
04-18-2006, 01:10 PM
If we could get some bullpen help/closer I would do it. But I could see the Reds trading almost anyone very few untouchables in baseball today.

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Still Yes.

We're likely to get last years Milton more, age and all that.

M2
04-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Wow, I'm very surprised by the responses here. I'd say NO if we are in contention. Especially if his ERA is sub 4.30. But I would trade him after the season.

If I had to rank our pitchers right now, I'd have to go with:

Harang
Milton
Arroyo
Claussen
fill in

Milton might actually be good if healthy. Remember all that talk about our small ballpark and all, but he did much worse on the road last year. I know 9 mil is a lot for next year, but if he is outstanding, then I might keep him. What would we do with that 9 mil? Couldn't sign a better FA pitcher if Milt is good.

Basically I don't trade him this year if we are in contention this year unless he is hurting the team. Offseason.

Milton's career-best for a full season is 4.32 ERA and that was in 2001.

Know the animals in zoo. Milton's the cat you trade the first chance you get.

Chip R
04-18-2006, 02:22 PM
I'd trade him twice if I could.

registerthis
04-18-2006, 02:34 PM
I'd trade him twice if I could.

...and three times on Sunday.

registerthis
04-18-2006, 02:43 PM

Here's the problem with guys like Milton, Womack, Hatteberg...and even, though to a lesser extent, Junior.

These guys are not, and were never, the future of this club. Harang, Claussen, Encarnacion, Dunn, Lopez...those players are the future. Those are the players you build around. Even then, if the right offer comes along, they could be shipped out as well.

But wait, you say...what if the Reds were in contention? What if Milton is tearing it up? What if he's leading the staff? In all honesty, the Reds likely wouldn't trade him in that type of situation, for it would be a PR nightmare. But they should--here's why:

Guys like Milton offer "false hope"--a quarter or half of a season of good-great numbers do not make up for the fact that he is an average-mediocre pitcher for his career. Suppose the Reds don't trade him (assuming they had an opportunity to) because they were in a pennant race. The Reds play well, but finish 2 games out of the playoffs. What then? They are left with a mediocre starter making $8 million who stands a high likelihood of reverting back to his former self, and who will, once again, become untradeable. They will have missed out on an opportunity to add younger and potentially more-talented players in place of him, and they will be no closer to a playoff spot next year than they were this year.

Milton should never have become a Red--the trade was a mistake from the beginning. It's like overpaying for a lemon car--you jump at the first chance you have to get rid of it, even if it does run OK for a month or two. You'll be better off in the long run. Such is the case with Milton--2.50 ERA or not.

kbrake
04-18-2006, 02:57 PM
registerthis just pretty much nailed it. Why would you keep him? I dont care how much of a race we are in, I dont care if we are leading the race. This team is not going to make the playoffs, I know they have looked good but folks its only April 18.

I'm telling you right now this team and its fans need to forget about it. My biggest fear right now is that we will be in a race at the end of July and we will trade Bailey for some rent-a-pitcher. Remeber 99' we trade BJ Ryan for Juan Guzman, miss the playoffs and lose out on Ryan. Think we could use him this year?

If this team were to have everything go right this year and I mean everything I guess I could see them slipping through the playoff door before it shuts. However I think the best approach for this team is to get some better players around an already good young core and kick that door in and go marching into the playoffs in 2 years or so.

TOBTTReds
04-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Milton's career-best for a full season is 4.32 ERA and that was in 2001.

Know the animals in zoo. Milton's the cat you trade the first chance you get.

That's why I said if. I didn't say I was depending on him to do it. Therefore if he isn't pitching that well then you deal.

But if you are in contention in July, and he is a factor of why we are contending, do you trade him? Only if you get something just as helpful in return. IF you are running for the playoffs, you dont trade someone just bc of their salary.

kbrake
04-18-2006, 03:08 PM
How are supposed to trade him if he isnt pitching well? How many GM's you expect to call Krivsky if Milton has an ERA of 6? I know people are hungry to get to the playoffs, I know it has been awhile but dont throw away the future to do so. I know you didnt say that but I'm sure if we are 2 games out at the end of July people will be advocating for a trade to go get some good pen arms and maybe another starter. We are getting close and with Krivsky and Castenelli in town it will be even quicker.

M2
04-18-2006, 03:09 PM
That's why I said if. I didn't say I was depending on him to do it. Therefore if he isn't pitching that well then you deal.

But if you are in contention in July, and he is a factor of why we are contending, do you trade him? Only if you get something just as helpful in return. IF you are running for the playoffs, you dont trade someone just bc of their salary.

I'm not particularly worried about this club being a serious contender and the '"if" with Milton revolves around him keeping his ERA below 5.00. This is baseball, not science fiction. Like I said, first offer which takes him and 2/3 of what he's due, that team would get him.

Caveat Emperor
04-18-2006, 03:12 PM

Of course the Reds won't trade him in that situation, because that'd be a PR nightmare to trade away a guy in the middle of the first serious playoff run the team has made in a half decade.

But, a team like the Reds (mid-market) can't afford to get caught up in thinking about just this year. Deal the guy while he's hot (like they should've done with Casey in 2004), get young talent in return that can help you continue to build a winning ballclub, and use his $8 million dollar salary to improve the ballclub next year with someone who won't need a biblical miracle season to help the team win.

But, that's why I post on a message board and don't run a ballclub -- you'd get executed in the court of public opinion for making a move like that, especially if the team misses the playoffs. It's still the right move.

Roy Tucker
04-18-2006, 03:34 PM
I trade him too. His upside just isn't very ... up.

If he's hot, I'd play the sides against each other and drive his value up.

But not stupidly. This is Eric Milton we're talking about after all.

Fullboat
04-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Yes!!! Remember Guillen for :harang:

TeamSelig
04-18-2006, 05:03 PM
I'd trade him no matter what. I think it would be hard to if we were in contention and he had a 2.50 ERA, I was just sayin..

Chip R
04-18-2006, 05:27 PM
I'd trade him no matter what. I think it would be hard to if we were in contention and he had a 2.50 ERA, I was just sayin..

You have to define "contention". We could be a game out of 1st place by the ASB or 7 games out of the wild card with 5 teams ahead of us. Either way we're in contention but the former gives us a much better shot than the latter. Unless Milton is just carrying this team and pitching like in your example, you get rid of him.

Highlifeman21
04-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Yes.

What he said. Unfortunately, Milton makes far too much money and produces far too little for that salary. It's Sean Casey all over again. Move the payroll so you can more wisely spend the funds.

Johnny Footstool
04-18-2006, 05:48 PM
This really shouldn't even be a question.

If Milton somehow manages a sub-4.00 ERA and the Reds hang on to him, it would be like Homer Simpson investing in pumpkin futures in September, then trying to sell them after Halloween.

registerthis
04-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Unless Milton is just carrying this team and pitching like in your example, you get rid of him.

Which absolutely won't happen. Milton may pitch better than his career norms, but he'll never carry this team. Harang and Arroyo might, but not Milton.

membengal
04-18-2006, 07:15 PM
But...if we traded Milton, who would give up the leadoff homeruns to HanRam?

wolfboy
04-18-2006, 09:11 PM
I guess we should have traded the guy last week. :bang:

Krusty
04-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Still like the idea of Milton to the Dodgers for LHP Odalis Perez.

Raisor
04-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Krusty, you've been after Perez for three years now. You'd trade your sister for Perez.

flyer85
04-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Of course the Reds won't trade him in that situation, because that'd be a PR nightmare and if they let PR drive their decision making(as they have done in the past) they will continue to be a sad sack organization.

Krusty
04-19-2006, 12:14 AM
After trading Milton for Perez, I would deal Griffey to the White Sox for RHP Freddie Garcia. (Have you seen Brian Anderson's stats?)

Then I make Chris Denorfia the everyday centerfielder with Freel filling in.

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 02:57 AM
The Sox would say heck no to that deal.

indyred
04-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I was thinking Milton would be better back in the AL.....in a pitcher's park....say Safeco Field in Seattle.......Who are real down on Adrian Beltre......I know he is signed long term for big money and probally would love to come back to NL and a hitter's park......So why not Milton's bad contract and we would have to give them EE to replace Beltre at 3rd for them, and to take Milton off our hands.........wonder if Seattle would have any interest yet in getting rid of Beltre.....he has not done much there at all.......Milton and EE for Beltre do anything for anybody......

registerthis
04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Absolutely no. Beltre makes more than Milton, he'd only add to our salary problems. Plus, EE is going to produce at or above Beltre's numbers, for a much lesser price.

GAC
04-20-2006, 08:48 PM
It all depends on how much one believes in and trusts the ability of this new management to make a trade that improves this team in that particular area.

Simply trading Milton for a "bag of balls" (i.e dumping him)... which is being advocated on here... would, IMO, be a stupid move. Especially if he is performing above expectations, contributing, and we are contending in the division. To say so means one is content to throw away any chances in '06, while believing management is gonna make the right deal to improve this club for the future.

If a Milton deal does not move us in that direction, then it's same-o same-o as far as I'm concerned.