PDA

View Full Version : What was Littlefield thinking,or was he??

WVPacman
04-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Pirates | Littlefield admits letting Shelton go was a mistake

Jason Beck, of Tigers.MLB.com, reports Pittsburgh Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield admitted to MLB.com's Ed Eagle that letting go of former Pirates 1B Chris Shelton, now with the Detroit Tigers, was a mistake. The Pirates left Shelton off the 40-man roster in 2003, exposing him to the Rule 5 draft. Littlefield said the team liked his bat, but was not confident in his defense and where he would be able to play. Littlefield added, "In retrospect, it was a mistake. If I had it to do overall again we certainly wouldn't have [left Shelton unprotected]. As we are now seeing, the power is obviously there. I tip my cap to Chris. He's obviously performing well and I hear he's improved his defense as well."

Pirates need to get rid of this GM if they ever want the Pirates to start winning again!!!!

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2006, 06:38 AM
Nobody ever said Littlefield was a smart man...

It was a dumb move back then and it looks worse now. Shelton was coming off a year in which he hit .359/.478/.641 with 21 homeruns in 390 plate appearances with the Pirates High-A squad. He was then subsequently left exposed in the Rule-5 draft where the Tigers scooped him up...and the rest is history. Another in the long line of dumb moves by Littlefield.

Imagine if the Pirates still had Shelton and Aramis Ramirez, or if he had actually gotten something decent in return for Ramirez.

traderumor
04-18-2006, 07:11 AM
Yet they just gave him an extension. Longest current string of losing seasons and vying for a major league record and they tell him "good job, keep up the good work."

Deepred05
04-18-2006, 07:20 AM
Tough job, one mistake like this one will kill ya.

Ravenlord
04-18-2006, 08:23 AM
and don't forget the huge extension for Jack Wilson, the doing the best you can to not play Craig Wilson...the resigning of Randall Simon...the contract extension given to Lloyd McClendon only to later on that year have ownership fire him for you...

Jaycint
04-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Could be worse, he could have let Johan Santana go in the rule 5 like the Astros did.

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Oh, btw, here are some of the players the Pirates protected over Chris Shelton: Carlos Rivera, Chris Stynes, Randall Simon, Abraham Nunez, Tike Redmond and Mike Lincoln. What a crew.

flyer85
04-18-2006, 09:51 AM
The really amazing thing was the Pirates had only 37 players on the 40 man roster going into the draft.

Hooligan
04-18-2006, 10:03 AM
I heard Shelton was a catcher at the time but wasn't very good. The Pirates planned on moving him to another position and didn't think anyone would take him in the draft.

MWM
04-18-2006, 10:17 AM
"Davey, you're doing a heck of a job." :evil:

westofyou
04-18-2006, 10:21 AM

Chili did.... but then again he's his MLB contact. ;)

M2
04-18-2006, 10:35 AM
IIRC, BA identified Shelton as the top available prospect in that Rule 5 draft and was amazed Pittsburgh didn't protect him.

westofyou
04-18-2006, 10:38 AM
IIRC, BA identified Shelton as the top available prospect in that Rule 5 draft and was amazed Pittsburgh didn't protect him.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/041210rulefive.html

Three of the first four players drafted last year were Pirates, and Pittsburgh lost Chris Shelton (Tigers) and righthander Jeff Bennett (Brewers) but got everyone else back. While they didn't want to lose those players, farm director Brian Graham said that's what happens to a club committed to rebuilding from within.

"I don't think what happened last year changed our philosophy in putting our 40-man roster together," he said. "When you're an organization like ours or like the Indians for that matter that is player-development oriented, you realize you valuable young players are, and you realize you have a lot of players that you'd like to protect.

"The number of Rule 5 failures far outweighs the successes. But you'll take those failures to hit on a big success."

savafan
04-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Ah, Brian Graham. The guy who was almost manager of the Reds.

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Thank goodness for Littlefield, we will never finish 6th.

Red Leader
04-18-2006, 03:51 PM

It was a dumb move back then and it looks worse now. Shelton was coming off a year in which he hit .359/.478/.641 with 21 homeruns in 390 plate appearances with the Pirates High-A squad. He was then subsequently left exposed in the Rule-5 draft where the Tigers scooped him up...and the rest is history. Another in the long line of dumb moves by Littlefield.

Imagine if the Pirates still had Shelton and Aramis Ramirez, or if he had actually gotten something decent in return for Ramirez.

If they wouldn't have gotten that great return for Brian Giles, the Pirates would have been flat out embarrassing to MLB the last few years.

cincinnati chili
04-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Fortunately for Littlefield, he was given an extension just before this season. This one hurts.

WVPacman
04-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Fortunately for Littlefield, he was given an extension just before this season. This one hurts.

Yep and people from Pittsburg,or Bucs fans are throwing a fit.You should listen to the tv show that comes on everyday at six on channel 628.They call in and tell it just like it is about the organzation and Littlefield.

cincinnati chili
04-21-2006, 12:40 AM
Thank goodness for Littlefield, we will never finish 6th.

It's a long season. ;)

Bill
04-21-2006, 12:45 AM
I think it everyone recognizes it as a huge blunder. For Littlefield to suggest otherwise would make him look more foolish. No win situation though.

Ravenlord
04-21-2006, 01:22 AM
i was looking around and found something interesting about Chris Shelton when he was in the Pirates organization...

273 games with the Pirates organization
163 games a catcher
62 games in the outfield
19 games at third base
1 game at first base
the rest as a PH or DH.

KronoRed
04-21-2006, 03:25 AM
It's a long season. ;)
I try and think positive ;)