PDA

View Full Version : Despite batting .500 with 2 HR and 9 RBI, Cody Ross DFA'd by Dodgers

savafan
04-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Apr 17 Losangeles.Dodgers.MLB.com is reporting Los Angeles Dodgers OF Cody Ross was designated for assignment Monday, April 17, despite a 7-for-14 performance this year at the plate. "This hasn't been very much fun, I've got to be honest with you," Ross said as he cleared out his locker. "The times I've gotten in there I've done well, so you hope other teams noticed." The team has 10 days to trade Ross or put him through waivers; it is believed a trade will be worked out with another team because the Dodgers believe Ross will be claimed by someone on waivers.

Chip R
04-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Too bad he isn't a catcher or a second baseman cause we sure could use another one.

traderumor
04-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Kenny Lofton coming off the DL looks to be the primary culprit. Cody was dragging the team's average age too far down and had to go.

Neo
04-18-2006, 01:09 PM
The kid just needs a chance to play, he looked pretty polished the year before last when I got the chance to watch him play in Toledo. He'll catch on somewhere and turn into a solid MLer.

redsfanfalcon
04-18-2006, 03:03 PM
I saw him play in Toledo too. Have you seen Toledo's roster? They have Lance Davis, David Espinosa, and Hector Mercado. Ross was a good player there, and they even had a bobblehead night for him.

Guacarock
04-18-2006, 03:23 PM
We should swap the Dodgers Womack for Cody. It would solve two problems at once: What to do with our current glut of middle-infielders and how to beef up our OF until Denorfia gets the call.

Cody can rake. He'd already be a ML regular except for a series of freak accidents that shut him down most of the 2004 season.

A side benefit to Cody joining the roster: He could pal around with Claussen. Cody was attending high school in Portales and Carlsbad, New Mexico, the same time Claussen was at Roswell Goddard. I'm sure they were prep school opponents, if not friends.

Adding Cody Ross could get confusing for Narron, though, with David Ross on the squad. But the outlook for the bench would certainly look Ross-ier.

Would the Dodgers want Womack? Worth broaching, if you ask me.

IslandRed
04-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Would the Dodgers want Womack?

Your plan was going so well until that.

buckeyenut
04-18-2006, 08:57 PM
LA is old school, so they might. Who knows.

Heck, I'd be willing to cut or waive a guy like McCracken for a solid young DFA replacement like Ross. No problem there either. Although Womack would definitely be the first choice.

corkedbat
04-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey I'm all for adding young talent especially if it can be had for an expendable part like McCracken, Womack or a reliever.

You never know, if he develops maybe you can flip him for something even more useful or maybe he makes it possible to move someone else. Is he someone who could play some 1B if Dunn or KGJ aren't wiiling to move?

With the lack of upper level talent in the Reds system I think you have to be creative in adding young talent and turning over periphreal pieces - even if it means someone with options like Deno has to stay @ AAA little longer than he normally would.

They need an approach like tha guy on the internet who started out with a red paper clip and has bartered his way up to a year rent-free in a decent apartment. (He's shooting for a house)

TOBTTReds
04-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Can he play 1B? Most OF'ers try, I would make the adjustment. Better than Hat and Richie

KoryMac5
04-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Something cooking? The Reds could be close to executing another trade. Reports out of Los Angeles said Cincinnati was close to a deal where it would acquire outfielder Cody Ross from the Dodgers. It's not known yet who Cincinnati would be giving up in return. Despite batting .500 (7-for-14) with two homers and nine RBIs in eight games, Ross was designated for assignment on April 17 in a roster crunch and Los Angeles has 10 days to trade or release him before it would have to expose him to the waiver wire.

Krivsky would not confirm that any deal has been made.

"If I had something to announce, we would announce it," Krivsky said from Cincinnati. "I can't comment on another club's player."

If the Reds were to acquire Ross, who is out of options, they would have to make room on their 25-man roster. In 28 big-league games with the Dodgers and Detroit from 2003-06, Ross has hit .259 with three homers and 15 RBIs.

According to MLB.com maybe a second baseman is going out west

reds44
04-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Where and when would he play?

I guess he would have played today instead of Crack.

redsfan30
04-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Could he be aquired, then packaged with someone else in a bigger deal? Because right now there isn't anyplace for him to play.

reds44
04-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Could he be aquired, then packaged with someone else in a bigger deal? Because right now there isn't anyplace for him to play.
Especially when Junior comes back.

kyred14
04-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Maybe they will throw in Penny, too. ;)

Shaknb8k
04-23-2006, 08:43 PM

See I thought along those lines when Brandon Phillips was aquired. And also when David Ross was aquired. I didnt think they would trade Phillips or Ross but I thought someone else would be traded at that position (Womack/Freel and Valentin/LaRue). Now were carrying 3 catchers and 4 players who can play 2B. I would like for them to get Cody Ross but i dont see them making another deal right away. If a deal is made i would look for Ross to replace whoever he is traded for as a bench player.

SanDiegoRed
04-23-2006, 08:53 PM
There has to be something bigger cooking. Ross looks like a good aquisition but there need to be a place for him. Hopefully it nets us a pitcher also.

Bill
04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Ross was voted top defensive OF in LA's system. He has some pop, can steal a base and is known to hustle -good 4th OF material. Not sure how different he is from Denorfia.

Q: T. Farmer from Garner, NC asks:
What is the prospect status of Cody Ross ? What are his chances of playing in LA in 2005 ? Ross was one of DePodesta's first player aquisitions.

A: Alan Matthews: A Garner inquiry . . . Go Trojans! The Dodgers like Ross, and he had a great close to the season last summer. But he's one of those "upside down" guys, who throws left and hits right, which makes it tough to slot him in a lineup, especially with lofty strikeout totals.He's a good defensive player,though not as good as Repko. Ross needs to learn to be more selective at the plate

Caveat Emperor
04-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Brandon Phillips and Cody Ross -- both good-ceiling type players who are becoming casulties due to their lack of options.

It's like picking through Rule 5 material midseason. Interesting strategy by Krivsky if this comes to pass.

IslandRed
04-23-2006, 11:14 PM
It's like picking through Rule 5 material midseason. Interesting strategy by Krivsky if this comes to pass.

It's a terrific strategy for a team in a talent-deficit position. The 40-man roster isn't going to be fixed in one big move, it'll take a lot of little upgrades (and good drafting) too. But as always, the key is picking the right guys. Phillips is working out well and Ross sounds like a useful player. It makes me wonder a little about Krivsky's passing on the half-decent first basemen to hit the wire, but there will be more where that came from.

CougarQuest
04-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Just curious ... if the Dodgers had to send down Ross and expose him to waivers, what makes anyone think that they would take a player who is on the major league roster in a trade for Ross?

wheels
04-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Where in the heck is Cody Ross going to play?

If he's the new fourth outfielder, what does that mean for Freel?

I have a feeling that there is a deal in the works that includes him.

IslandRed
04-24-2006, 12:04 AM

My guess is that Ross displaces McCracken and takes his place in the pecking order, either #4 or #5 in the outfield on a given day depending on if Freel is getting a start at 2B.

savafan
04-24-2006, 12:09 AM
My guess is that Ross displaces McCracken and takes his place in the pecking order, either #4 or #5 in the outfield on a given day depending on if Freel is getting a start at 2B.

It's a good move building toward the future, which Ross could be a part of, while McCracken, who is 206 years old, would be getting social security.

gm
04-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Bats R and throws L? That sounds like a first baseman

Too bad he's only 5'9"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7053

Caveat Emperor
04-24-2006, 12:56 AM

Freel makes sense as the odd man out, and it's convenient that his value has never been higher as a player. Good timing like this is rare, and the Reds should take full advantage of it.

It's interesting to note that Cody Ross is noted as being an excellent defensive outfielder. Brandon Phillips had a rep as a great glove with a bat that hadn't been coming around like they thought. Slowly, but surely, the Reds are moving to replace key parts of the ballclub with plus defenders.

Very interesting...

The Baumer
04-24-2006, 01:26 AM
7 of Cody Ross' 9 rbi came in one huge game. I think he would be a good backup/McCracken replacement.

Topcat
04-24-2006, 03:25 AM
My feeling is this if Ross is acquired, either Kearns or Freel is going to be shopped for pitching. The player that gets better offers is goinjg to be gone. i fully support this idea and endorse it with all my 202 reputation points ;)

OUReds
04-24-2006, 03:54 AM
It looks to me like all this is building towards a trade of one of the top 4 OFers (Freel/Dunn/Kearns/KGJ) for pitching. In the meantime though, we're going to have to get used to a mismatched 25 man roster.

As long as the net talent improves through every move, I can live with it. I'm reasonably certain DanO was not familiar with the concept of "net talent increase" so in one way it's a bit refreshing.

OUReds
04-24-2006, 04:01 AM
A: Alan Matthews: A Garner inquiry . . . Go Trojans! The Dodgers like Ross, and he had a great close to the season last summer. But he's one of those "upside down" guys, who throws left and hits right, which makes it tough to slot him in a lineup, especially with lofty strikeout totals.He's a good defensive player,though not as good as Repko. Ross needs to learn to be more selective at the plate

A bit off topic, but what is this writer talking about? Why would it make a whit of difference that he throws left handed but bats right handed? Does it just mean it's more difficult to get him in the lineup because he's a right handed batter? It makes my head hurt.

Guacarock
04-24-2006, 06:17 AM
I still think Womack could go to the Dodgers for Cody Ross. I also believe the deal might be expanded to include one of our surplus catchers for the Dodgers' struggling 5th starter Jae Seo. It wouldn't be Larue, but Valentin or David Ross sent to LA.

Why this larger trade makes sense?

1. We've lost Milton to the DL, so we're scrambling for a SP.
2. LA is down on Seo. Despite far better stats last year, he has posted a 7.64 ERA and 0-2 W-L record so far this season, and they've got Billingsley waiting in the wings for a shot at the Bigs.
3. The Dodgers need Womack more than we do. They've had injury issues surface with Kent and Garciaparra. Unlike the Reds, they don't have a surplus on the rightside of the infield, except guys like Robles who they can move back and forth between AAA and the majors.
4. Larue wouldn't fit LA's needs, as they have Martin close to ready for the Show. But with their current starting catcher Navarro hitting below the Mendoza line and failing to throw out any basestealers, they could use Valentin or David Ross as a serviceable fill-in until Martin is ready.
5. Finally, I honestly believe the Reds' braintrust had every intention of trading Larue by now for Colorado's 1B prospect Ryan Shealy. But injuries to Larue and Shealy delayed a transaction. And now, with Colorado having to place Todd Helton on the DL owing to a baffling ailment, the Rockies can't be ready to pull the trigger on any deal involving Shealy. Instead of waiting, the Reds now are more likely to package Valentin or David Ross. And what more pressing need do we have than a potential SP, with Milton out of commission anywhere from a month to more?

If I'm right, and an expanded deal is in the works, then we would instantly resolve our logjams at 2B and catcher. The two questions that would remain:

1. Would Seo be any better SP option than Germano, Ramirez or the other guys we've got in our minor-league pipeline?

2. What would it take to snag Seo -- Valentin or Ross? Who is our keeper, who is possibly on the bubble?

smith288
04-24-2006, 08:47 AM
I like Krivsky more and more the more I hear about potential trades he is looking at.

And the more and more i like Krivsky, the more and more I believe DanO was more clueless than Clay Aiken at a nudie bar.

NatiRedGals
04-24-2006, 08:49 AM
I like Krivsky more and more the more I hear about potential trades he is looking at.

And the more and more i like Krivsky, the more and more I believe DanO was more clueless than Clay Aiken at a nudie bar.

:laugh: Clay wasnt looking for players who could hit he was looking for players who liked to be a bit behind:mooner:

smith288
04-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Oh Oh oh *snap*!

smith288
04-24-2006, 08:59 AM
A bit off topic, but what is this writer talking about? Why would it make a whit of difference that he throws left handed but bats right handed? Does it just mean it's more difficult to get him in the lineup because he's a right handed batter? It makes my head hurt.

It means that the writer is stupid.

minus5
04-24-2006, 10:20 AM
If Wayne-O stays true to form (or what looks like form at this point) and stays defensive minded with some pop in the bat...could Dunn be the guy he looks to move rather than Kearns?

Chip R
04-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Just curious ... if the Dodgers had to send down Ross and expose him to waivers, what makes anyone think that they would take a player who is on the major league roster in a trade for Ross?

What you need to tell L.A. is that Paul DePodesta absolutely hated Womack and didn't want him within 1000 miles of his team. That gets the current regime thinking that if DePo hated Womack so much then they have to have him. ;)

Guacarock
04-24-2006, 12:08 PM
There goes my Womack theory! Here's Marc Lancaster's take on the Cody Ross deal from today's Cincy Post. If it's a minor league player going to LA for Ross, maybe it's one of the outfielders we have stashed at Louisville -- Abad, Buchanan, Stratton, Sanchez or Long. Doubt Denorfia would be involved, unless it were a larger swap.

DEAL PERCOLATING? - According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Reds have had discussions with the Dodgers about acquiring outfielder Cody Ross.

Ross, 25, was designated for assignment a week ago, just days after hitting two home runs and driving in seven runs in a game against the Pirates. Any deal likely would involve the Reds sending a minor league player to the Dodgers, who had to designate Ross to remove him from the roster because he is out of options.

Krivsky reiterated Sunday night that he does not comment on trade rumors.

"If we had something to announce, we would announce it," he said. "But we don't."

Ross, the Detroit Tigers' minor league player of the year in 2003, spent most of last season at Class AAA Las Vegas. In 115 games with the Dodgers' top affiliate, he hit .267 with 21 doubles and 22 homers while driving in 63 runs.

toledodan
04-24-2006, 12:38 PM
I saw him play in Toledo too. Have you seen Toledo's roster? They have Lance Davis, David Espinosa, and Hector Mercado. Ross was a good player there, and they even had a bobblehead night for him.

he was a good player when he was in the detroit org. he needs the chance to play regular. i would imaging someone like KC or tampa picking him up on waivers. he won't be looking for work long.

Danny Serafini
04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
I need one of the Mud Hens fans to refresh my memory, is Ross the guy who hit a grand slam shortly after a callup to Detroit a couple years ago and then destroyed his leg later in the same game, or am I thinking of someone else?

Handofdeath
04-24-2006, 01:21 PM
:laugh: Clay wasnt looking for players who could hit he was looking for players who liked to be a bit behind:mooner:

I was hoping to come up with a comment mentioning the Royals or Brokeback Mountain but the well's dry. A little help here?