PDA

View Full Version : Bowden arrested (but not for bb decisions)

Strikes Out Looking
04-18-2006, 01:28 PM
From ESPN:

WASHINGTON -- Nationals general manager Jim Bowden was arrested and charged with driving under the influence while in Florida during his team's series against the Marlins last weekend.

The Nationals released a statement from Bowden on Tuesday in which he acknowledged what happened. He said he was arrested Sunday evening in Miami Beach.

"I intend to plead not guilty at a future date in a Miami Dade court. I deeply regret any embarrassment that my arrest may cause the Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball," Bowden said in the statement.

"On the advice of legal counsel, I will have no further comment regarding this incident until the court proceedings are complete," he said.

Chip R
04-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Marty is going to have a field day with this.

traderumor
04-18-2006, 01:31 PM
That's a smart career move.

Heath
04-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Only if the leather pants were worn makes it more funny than it should be.

Jim, hope you and Steve Phillips can be pals. Seems ESPN's in your future.

cumberlandreds
04-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Hope Jimbo is happy with some Cold Pizza!:D

BuckU
04-18-2006, 01:34 PM
If this gets him arrested, what does the Cristian Guzman contract get him? That was a far bigger offense...

Strikes Out Looking
04-18-2006, 01:35 PM
That's a smart career move.

Almost as much as trading for a pitcher and not doing an MRI...Or trading for an all-star 2b and not bothering to discuss with him that he isn't going to play 2b...Or--never mind, it could go on for days...

djsauter
04-18-2006, 01:42 PM
There is nothing funny about this.

DUI is serious.

edabbs44
04-18-2006, 02:00 PM
At least that explains his performance in his last 2 front office positions.

Benny-Distefano
04-18-2006, 02:05 PM
If I was rich and wanted to "tie one on" away from home, I dunno, maybe TAKE A LIMO HOME, MONEYBAGS!!!! sheesh... ;)

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 02:06 PM
And ignore the game while he's at it :evil:

WMR
04-18-2006, 02:09 PM
If I was rich and wanted to "tie one on" away from home, I dunno, maybe TAKE A LIMO HOME, MONEYBAGS!!!! sheesh... ;)

I dunno, if you constructed a pie chart sorting his income relative to his leather pant budget, not sure if there's any funds left for car service...

top6
04-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Wow. I'm suprised this didn't get more of a response on this board.

Anyway, do you think we should sign him to play second base?

Matt700wlw
04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
I wonder if he has leather pants on? Now that's risky.....possible drink spillage or vomit could really ruin those.

redsfanfalcon
04-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Although is it serious, we could've offered Womack for Patterson while he was in that state. :D

Handofdeath
04-18-2006, 03:13 PM
If past history means anything he'll probably plead up to a felony.

Red Leader
04-18-2006, 03:28 PM

OMG. :ughmamoru :ughmamoru :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hilarious.

Hap
04-18-2006, 04:54 PM

Wait, does Marty not like Bowden or something? Has he ever mentioned it?

;)

BCubb2003
04-18-2006, 05:20 PM
There are reports of battery and resisting arrest charges filed against his girlfriend.

2001MUgrad
04-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Just plain foolish. Its not as if he couldn't afford a freakin cab or limo for that mater.

Chip R
04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
There are reports of battery and resisting arrest charges filed against his girlfriend.

JimBo got beat up by a girl.

WMR
04-18-2006, 07:42 PM
I'll say under 75, but that might be too conservative...

savafan
04-19-2006, 01:20 PM
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/04/18/PH2006041801963.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/18/AR2006041800833.html

Bowden's fiancee, Joy Browning, also was arrested and charged with domestic violence and resisting arrest, according to a Miami Beach police report. Browning, who lives in Los Angeles and works as an actress, was in Miami for the weekend series and was due to fly home early Monday morning.

The couple was originally approached at 2:10 a.m. by an officer who saw them arguing, the report said, but they were let go without incident. However, just 12 minutes later, another officer stopped Bowden, who was driving a 2006 Cadillac, after he allegedly ran a stop sign on Collins Avenue, just one block off Ocean Drive, home to many of South Beach's most popular bars, clubs and restaurants.

Bowden refused to take a breathalyzer test, the report said, an action that, under Florida law, means his license will automatically be suspended in the state. Officers cited the smell of alcohol on Bowden's breath and wrote that he had "bloodshot eyes, glassy eyes, flush red face and slurred speech." He failed a field sobriety test.

They also noticed he had scratches on his cheek and a cut on one ear, and approached Browning, who was seated in the car. An officer attempted to place Browning, 36, under arrest for domestic violence, and when she allegedly refused to get out of the car or put down her cellphone, she also was charged with resisting arrest.

The timing of the incident couldn't be worse for Bowden, whose future will be determined by the club's new owner. Since he was hired in November 2004, less than two months after Major League Baseball moved the Nationals from Montreal to Washington, Bowden has lived on six-month contracts because MLB still owns the franchise and has been in the process of selling it to one of eight groups willing to pay $450 million.

One of the favorites, the family of Bethesda real estate developer Theodore Lerner, was considered the most likely to keep Bowden as the general manager. The announcement of the sale could come late this week, and, as one Nationals executive said, "None of us can think we're safe when the sale happens."

"I would assume he would rather this not have happened at all, regardless of the timing," Tavares said.

Bowden was already known for his bold, often controversial moves that he backs up with comments that are sometimes bolder and more controversial. He helped assemble the team that returned baseball to Washington after a 33-season absence, a group that spent two months leading the National League East before stumbling to last with an 81-81 record.

Manager Frank Robinson said he would address the matter with his team before the first game against the Phillies.

"It's a regrettable incident, and I think the guys will support Jim, like I do, today and in the future on this thing," Robinson said. "But other than that, there's not much to say about it."
------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently Jimbo's fiancee is an actress:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2109954/

No picture of her exists, but rumors persist that she looks something like:

http://www.candidcritic.com/images/tawny.jpg

TRF
04-19-2006, 03:16 PM

you owe me a new keyboard.