PDA

View Full Version : Bad JimBo, no biscuit!

ghettochild
04-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Nationals GM Jim Bowden was arrested on Sunday night in Miami Beach and charged with DUI.
The joke possibilities are tremendous, but drinking and driving, if that's in fact what Bowden did, is hardly a laughing matter. The chances of him holding on to his job when new ownership takes over certainly diminish with the news. "I intend to plead not guilty at a future date in a Miami Dade court," Bowden said in a statement. "I deeply regret any embarrassment that my arrest may cause the Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball." Apr. 18 - 1:36 pm et

:beerme: jimbo :beerme:

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Blame the pants.

RedFanAlways1966
04-18-2006, 04:09 PM
We all have heard that drunks and hungover drunks like Cold Pizza... makes sense to me. The Cold Pizza may be back sooner than JimBo anticipated.

Since I do not drink, I must ask, "Does it cost more to pay for a cab ride or pay for a DUI when it is all said and done?" I think I know the answer...

pedro
04-18-2006, 04:12 PM
The DUI pre-payment plan (Cab rides) is a a good idea.

Mainspark
04-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Additional details from an updated story....

A Miami Beach police report said the 44-year-old Bowden refused to take a breath-alcohol test after he was stopped at 2:22 a.m. Monday. An officer said he saw Bowden run the stop sign on Collins Avenue, a main thoroughfare in the South Beach neighborhood. He failed field sobriety tests and was arrested, the report said.
The report said that “a strong smell of an alcoholic beverage” emanated from the gray 2006 Cadillac STS that Bowden was driving and that he had “bloodshot eyes, glassy eyes, flush red face and slurred speech.” The arresting officers concluded that Bowden “was unable to operate a motor vehicle safely.”
Under Florida’s implied consent law, refusal to submit to a breath test results in an automatic driver’s license suspension of at least six months. Bowden had a California driver’s license when he was stopped and listed a Los Angeles home address, according to the police report.

Unassisted
04-18-2006, 05:38 PM
I don't really see much humor in this. :rolleyes:

And it's certainly not the best kind of publicity to have when you work for the club owned by the commissioner's office, especially when you might be out of a job once that club changes ownership in a few months.

ghettochild
04-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Additional details from an updated story....

A Miami Beach police report said the 44-year-old Bowden refused to take a breath-alcohol test after he was stopped at 2:22 a.m. Monday. An officer said he saw Bowden run the stop sign on Collins Avenue, a main thoroughfare in the South Beach neighborhood. He failed field sobriety tests and was arrested, the report said.
The report said that “a strong smell of an alcoholic beverage” emanated from the gray 2006 Cadillac STS that Bowden was driving and that he had “bloodshot eyes, glassy eyes, flush red face and slurred speech.” The arresting officers concluded that Bowden “was unable to operate a motor vehicle safely.”
Under Florida’s implied consent law, refusal to submit to a breath test results in an automatic driver’s license suspension of at least six months. Bowden had a California driver’s license when he was stopped and listed a Los Angeles home address, according to the police report.

he's facing 1 year on the papers, 1 year license suspension with possibility of a hardship renewale after i think after 15 weeks IIRC. plus court fees, fines, 50 hours community service, AA.

BCubb2003
04-18-2006, 06:29 PM
A second police report said that about 10 minutes before Bowden was pulled over, two officers saw he and his girlfriend, 36-year-old Joy Browning, arguing along nearby Ocean Drive. After assuring police that everything was fine, they drove off and allegedly ran through the stop sign.

Police then noticed that Bowden had scratches on his right ear and left cheek and told Browning she would be arrested for a domestic violence charge. She refused to get out of the car and struck one of the officers twice after he took her cell phone, police said.

Browning faces a May 8 arraignment on charges of felony resisting arrest with violence, resisting arrest without violence and simple battery. She was held in the Miami-Dade County jail until Tuesday afternoon, when she was released on $5,000 bond, jail officials said.

Team Clark
04-18-2006, 06:44 PM
A second police report said that about 10 minutes before Bowden was pulled over, two officers saw he and his girlfriend, 36-year-old Joy Browning, arguing along nearby Ocean Drive. After assuring police that everything was fine, they drove off and allegedly ran through the stop sign.

Police then noticed that Bowden had scratches on his right ear and left cheek and told Browning she would be arrested for a domestic violence charge. She refused to get out of the car and struck one of the officers twice after he took her cell phone, police said.

Browning faces a May 8 arraignment on charges of felony resisting arrest with violence, resisting arrest without violence and simple battery. She was held in the Miami-Dade County jail until Tuesday afternoon, when she was released on $5,000 bond, jail officials said.

Ooops! I have had a lot of fun in Miami over the years but nothing like this. It's sad to see anyone have to go through stuff like this.

Chip R
04-18-2006, 06:47 PM
I thought this headline was funny.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060418/sp_nm/baseball_bowden_dc_1

johngalt
04-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Ooops! I have had a lot of fun in Miami over the years but nothing like this. It's sad to see anyone have to go through stuff like this.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Karma, meet Jim. Jim, Karma.

Unassisted
04-18-2006, 06:49 PM
If Bowden had been jailed for domestic violence, he'd probably be unemployed today.

Blimpie
04-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Here's Jimbo spotted earlier that evening on South Beach....

http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/pants/images/Pants2.jpg

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 07:29 PM
If Bowden had been jailed for domestic violence, he'd probably be unemployed today.
It would take a week but I agree with your point.

Unassisted
04-18-2006, 10:37 PM
It would take a week but I agree with your point.I guess I forgot who the owner of the team was for a minute. A week might be generous, too. ;)

redsandrails
04-18-2006, 11:50 PM
The cops should have followed him the night he signed Christian Guzman. He had to have been drinking a lot when he gave him that contract.

Krusty
04-19-2006, 12:55 AM
At this point, I don't think ESPN would take him back after the new Nationals owners fire him.

WMR
04-19-2006, 03:04 AM
If Michael Irvin can get hired--and stay hired after his additional 'dalliances'--I don't think a single DUI will keep Jimbo from working at ESPN.

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 03:48 AM
Yep, if anything stuff likes this seems to increase employment opportunities

GAC
04-19-2006, 09:38 PM
One article says that when the officer pulled Bowden over, his face was all scratched up and his ear bleeding.

Shades of Chuck Finley and Tawny Kitaen? ;)

red-in-la
04-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Unassisted, I love your avatar......I was wondering, can you catch Marlin in the San Antonio river?

Mainspark
04-20-2006, 01:19 AM
Lawyer for Nationals’ GM and girlfriend says battery charge false
MIAMI (AP) — Washington Nationals general manager Jim Bowden’s attorney denied that Bowden and his girlfriend scuffled before the couple was arrested last weekend after he allegedly ran a stop sign.
A police report said Bowden and girlfriend Joy Browning — who were in Florida for a series against the Marlins — were arguing early Monday but assured police they were fine. About 10 minutes later, police said Bowden ran a stop sign.
When they stopped Bowden, police noticed scratches on his right ear and left cheek and told Browning she would be arrested on a domestic violence charge. She refused to get out of the car and struck one of the officers twice after he took her cell phone.
Browning was charged with simple battery, felony resisting arrest with violence and resisting arrest without violence. Bowden was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after allegedly running the stop sign.
“My clients, Mr. Bowden and Ms. Browning, vehemently deny all allegations of domestic battery or domestic violence,” attorney John Bergendahl said. “These allegations are wholly unfounded, and we will aggressively contest and challenge them at each stage of the pending legal proceedings. There has never been any domestic battery or violence during the course of their relationship.”
Bergendahl did not comment on any other charges against his clients.
Miami Beach Police Department spokesman Bobby Hernandez said Browning was arrested in accordance with police and state policy defining domestic violence.
“They were witnessed by the officers prior to the stop in an argument. They approached them, and there were no signs of any physical altercations between them. At the stop there were visible signs of domestic violence against Mr. Bowden,” Hernandez said.

CrackerJack
04-20-2006, 01:28 AM
http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20060419&Category=SPT0401&ArtNo=604190349&Ref=AR&Profile=1072&MaxW=315&border=1

remdog
04-20-2006, 01:33 AM
I find it interesting that so many 'perfect people' take pleasure in someone else's plight.

Hope ya' never run a stop sign after having a few drinks. Not that anyone on this board would do that.....:p:

Rem

cincinnati chili
04-20-2006, 08:35 AM
I find it interesting that so many 'perfect people' take pleasure in someone else's plight.

Hope ya' never run a stop sign after having a few drinks. Not that anyone on this board would do that.....:p:

Rem

I'm not perfect, and I see your point rem. But this guy has been not very nice to very many people on a consistent basis for a very long time.

creek14
04-20-2006, 09:19 AM

Rem
As a matter of fact, no I wouldn't. I don't drink and drive.

remdog
04-20-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm not perfect, and I see your point rem. But this guy has been not very nice to very many people on a consistent basis for a very long time.

I understand that Chili. It's just that this has taken on a 'pileing on' asspect that isn't very pretty in its' own right.

Rem

remdog
04-20-2006, 11:17 AM
As a matter of fact, no I wouldn't. I don't drink and drive.

Of course not creek. You're one of the perfect people I was thinking of.

Rem

RFS62
04-20-2006, 01:02 PM
You can be far from perfect and still not drink and drive.

Chip R
04-20-2006, 01:16 PM

And creek is the perfect example. :evil:

KronoRed
04-20-2006, 03:41 PM
:wave:

Apple juice doesn't count right? :D

Unassisted
04-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Unassisted, I love your avatar......I was wondering, can you catch Marlin in the San Antonio river?Only if someone tosses a stuffed and mounted one in there from the Riverwalk. :beerme:

KronoRed
04-21-2006, 03:38 PM
I think they change their name, just as long as it's not something silly like Texans ;)

RFS62
04-21-2006, 04:41 PM
I think they change their name, just as long as it's not something silly like Texans ;)

San Antonio Alamonies

Unassisted
04-21-2006, 06:07 PM
There's been talk that the team nickname should be "Lobos," in honor of County Judge Nelson Wolff, who has been the point person in all of the efforts to bring baseball to town and for whom the AA Missions baseball stadium is already named. Judge Wolff says that he wants no part of anything like that. I doubt that MLB would be too keen on it, either. :)