PDA

View Full Version : Cruise, Holmes welcome baby girl, Suri

savafan
04-19-2006, 03:57 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4921228.stm

Actress Katie Holmes, who is engaged to film star Tom Cruise, has given birth to the couple's first child.

Holmes gave birth to a baby girl, Suri, on Tuesday in Los Angeles. Both mother and baby were "doing well", a spokesman said in a statement.

The baby is the first for Holmes, while Cruise has two adopted children from his marriage to Nicole Kidman.

The couple, who have been engaged since June 2005, plan to marry in late summer or early autumn, according to Cruise.

Spokesman Paul Bloch said in a statement that the couple "joyously welcomed" the arrival of their daughter.

The baby's name, Suri, came from Hebrew, meaning "princess" or in Persian, meaning "red rose", the statement said.

The baby weighed 3.4 kg (7lb 7 oz) and measured 50.8 cm (20 inches), Mr Bloch said.

No details were given about the birth itself, which had been the subject of much speculation amid suggestion that Holmes, 27, would give birth in silence in accordance with Scientology doctrine.

Cruise, 43, is currently in the middle of promoting his new film, Mission Impossible III.

WMR
04-19-2006, 04:02 AM
Enquiring minds want to know: Did Tom eat the placenta as planned?

WMR
04-19-2006, 04:30 AM
http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/irvinem/technoculture/resources/theater_scene.gif

Katie's 'education' progresses nicely as she prepares to watch Battlestar Galactica for the 132nd time

Caveat Emperor
04-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Katie's 'education' progresses nicely as she prepares to watch Battlestar Galactica for the 132nd time

Given the quality of the new version, that might not be quite so bad. Now, if we're talking Dirk Benedict in all his glory -- yeah, that might be terminal. Besides, "Battlefield Earth" was the Scientology flick.

Incidentally, I'm gonna need to see two forms of DNA evidence before I ever believe Tom Cruise fathered a child.

Raisor
04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Incidentally, I'm gonna need to see two forms of DNA evidence before I ever believe Tom Cruise fathered a child.

The real father pretty much HAS to be David Crosby, right? He seems to be the "go to guy" for that sort of thing in Hollywood.

westofyou
04-19-2006, 10:25 AM
I worked in the Mariemont Theater for that flick, they took the last 5 rows out to install Sense-Around........ it made the concession stand shake.

Yachtzee
04-19-2006, 10:51 AM
"I'm Suri,....So Suri!"

WMR
04-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Given the quality of the new version, that might not be quite so bad. Now, if we're talking Dirk Benedict in all his glory -- yeah, that might be terminal. Besides, "Battlefield Earth" was the Scientology flick.

Ack, good call, CE. I always get my mediocore sci-fi franchises confused! ;)

Yeah I see some bizarre scientology ritual behind Kate's pregnancy for some reason...

Not to imply or state in any way that Mr. Cruise needs to come out of the closet or anything!!

http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5079477,00.jpg

WMR
04-19-2006, 10:53 AM
I worked in the Mariemont Theater for that flick, they took the last 5 rows out to install Sense-Around........ it made the concession stand shake.

What's 'sense-around' like some precursor to THX that involved a bunch of huge speakers?

Sounds very retro.

westofyou
04-19-2006, 10:56 AM
What's 'sense-around' like some precursor to THX that involved a bunch of huge speakers?

Sounds very retro.
Giant speaker cases that make the sound extra loud, thus making you feel like you are there.

Retro... maybe... the Knack was pretty popular then.

macro
04-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Enquiring minds want to know: Did Tom eat the placenta as planned?

What does placenta taste like, anyway?

RichRed
04-19-2006, 12:31 PM

Chicken.

TeamCasey
04-19-2006, 01:10 PM
:laugh:

Johnny Footstool
04-19-2006, 04:59 PM

A hamburger cooked by Xenu himself.

Chip R
04-19-2006, 06:48 PM
It looks like that Cruise is not going to be doing any promos for MI3 now. The MI3 producers are celebrating. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-04-19/#2

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Movies gonna tank regardless.

savafan
04-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Movies gonna tank regardless.

I dunno, I actually liked the first two MI movies, and this one does have Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Larry Fishburne in it...

GAC
04-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Hey! Brook Shields also gave birth to a baby girl yesterday, and it was in the same hospital and on the same floor.

(play Twilight Zone intro here)

vaticanplum
04-19-2006, 08:57 PM
I...I really like the name. A lot. Very pretty, I think. But I also kind of like Apple and Moses.

As the smart ones around me point out, any kids that I may have will someday have to attend middle school, so yes, it's probably better that I not breed.

GAC
04-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Britney update....

Seems her kid feel out of the high chair and cracked his noggin.

Britney considering suing the manufacturer.

What is it with this woman and kid's safety seat? To many moving parts?

savafan
04-19-2006, 09:18 PM
I...I really like the name. A lot. Very pretty, I think. But I also kind of like Apple and Moses.

As the smart ones around me point out, any kids that I may have will someday have to attend middle school, so yes, it's probably better that I not breed.

My fiancee and I have picked names for if we ever have kids:

Eric Christopher
Nolan Ryan
Gemma Starr
Hermione Lilith

Poor kids :evil:

GAC
04-19-2006, 09:21 PM
My fiancee and I have picked names for if we ever have kids:

Eric Christopher
Nolan Ryan
Gemma Starr
Hermione Lilith

Poor kids :evil:

Gemma and Hermione? Why would you saddle a kid with a name like that?

I think some people find ideas for names after a trip to CVS...

This is my son Motrine, and our twins Tylenol and Advil. :lol:

That's like that one actress who named her daughter Apple. Geez!

I could see the funny, little jokes they tell to all... "This is Apple. She is rotten to the core too."

Hope she doesn't ever get worms. ;)

savafan
04-19-2006, 09:27 PM

We made a deal wherein she gets to name the girls. She chose those names from book characters she likes.

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 09:30 PM
I'd fight her Sava..maybe trade Nolan Ryan for some diffrent girl names ;)

paintmered
04-19-2006, 09:33 PM
We made a deal wherein she gets to name the girls. She chose those names from book characters she likes.

Harry Potter?

Caveat Emperor
04-19-2006, 09:36 PM

Hermione might be rough because it'd be really apparent where the name came from (Harry Potter books). Don't know how well that'd go -- especially if you name her before the last book gets written. :laugh:

It'd be like naming your girl Leia -- although, I have seen quite a few "Leah" (Lee-AH) names around.

savafan
04-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Harry Potter?

That's where Hermione comes from, obviously. Gemma is from the novel A Great And Terrible Beauty

vaticanplum
04-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Gemma is a great name (in my opinion -- remember I also like Suri), but it's very, very common in Britain, so not even technically a weird name. Hermione is more common in Britain than it is here, but not inherently common, I'd say.

Doesn't Eric Christopher write children's sports books? Or is that Matt Christopher?

I'd like to take a moment to point out that we're now discussing baby names on a baseball message board. Rock!

GAC
04-19-2006, 10:11 PM
My Dad was a HUGE serial western fan.

They almost named me Randolph Scott Clark. :lol:

My younger brother's middle name is Cassidy (after Hopalong)..

But my Dad came from a family of 12. And if you saw the names they gave him, and his siblings, I can't complain. ;)

savafan
04-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Doesn't Eric Christopher write children's sports books? Or is that Matt Christopher?

I'm not sure. Eric and Christopher were the names of my two best friends growing up. Eric was also her brother's name, who passed away, and she thought it'd be nice to someday remember him by naming a child after him.

Chip R
04-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey! Brook Shields also gave birth to a baby girl yesterday, and it was in the same hospital and on the same floor.

(play Twilight Zone intro here)

Gee, I wonder if they visited each other? :devil:

Handofdeath
04-20-2006, 03:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4921228.stm

Actress Katie Holmes, who is engaged to film star Tom Cruise, has given birth to the couple's first child.

Holmes gave birth to a baby girl, Suri, on Tuesday in Los Angeles. Both mother and baby were "doing well", a spokesman said in a statement.

The baby is the first for Holmes, while Cruise has two adopted children from his marriage to Nicole Kidman.

The couple, who have been engaged since June 2005, plan to marry in late summer or early autumn, according to Cruise.

Spokesman Paul Bloch said in a statement that the couple "joyously welcomed" the arrival of their daughter.

The baby's name, Suri, came from Hebrew, meaning "princess" or in Persian, meaning "red rose", the statement said.

The baby weighed 3.4 kg (7lb 7 oz) and measured 50.8 cm (20 inches), Mr Bloch said.

No details were given about the birth itself, which had been the subject of much speculation amid suggestion that Holmes, 27, would give birth in silence in accordance with Scientology doctrine.

Cruise, 43, is currently in the middle of promoting his new film, Mission Impossible III.

And the crowd goes mild!

Caseyfan21
04-20-2006, 11:21 PM
I've got my daughter's first name picked out already.

Scarlet Anne

(and my last name starts with the syllable "gray")

paintmered
04-21-2006, 01:11 AM
I've got my daughter's first name picked out already.

Scarlet Anne

(and my last name starts with the syllable "gray")

You laugh, but wait until she rebells and goes to "that school up north".

:evil:

cincinnati chili
04-21-2006, 01:46 AM

I favor atypical names too, but don't care for "Suri."

Don't name your kids after places where chicks and ducks and geese scurry.

DropDocK
04-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Suri? isn't that some kind of Indian dish?
That's definately on par with Apple and Moses. And Courtney Cox's Coco.

Matt Christopher was the author of the popular childrens sport books. I have a friend, she's English, named Gemma and it's wildly popular there. She refers to her parents as sheep for naming her Gemma Louise.

Yachtzee
04-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I favor atypical names too, but don't care for "Suri."

Don't name your kids after places where chicks and ducks and geese scurry.

"The Suri with the fringe on top."

WMR
04-22-2006, 01:05 AM

Poor kids. Stupid names.

savafan
04-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Another name I'm kinda liking right now is Aria. I wonder if I can get her to trade Hermione for Aria and Pile O'Cash?

WMR
04-22-2006, 01:16 AM
You oughta be the one getting something in return for that trade, Sava.

;)

GAC
04-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Gee, I wonder if they visited each other? :devil:

Brooke asked Tom to get her prescription refilled. ;)

GAC
04-22-2006, 10:35 AM

Wasn't Coco the name of the first monkey used by NASA and shot into space? :lol:

DropDocK
04-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Wasn't Coco the name of the first monkey used by NASA and shot into space? :lol:

Maybe? Or it could be the one that does sign language?? :eek:

Yachtzee
04-22-2006, 11:50 AM

Coco wants to "live forever" at the NY School for the Performing Arts. ;)

cincinnati chili
04-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Coco wants to "live forever" at the NY School for the Performing Arts. ;)

http://irenecarashrine.com/

cincinnati chili
04-23-2006, 03:33 PM
I love it. This gets better and better:

Cruise baby name puzzles Israelis

JERUSALEM (Reuters) -- Suri, the name chosen by Hollywood couple Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes for their newborn daughter, is raising more than its share of interest in Israel.

It means "get out of here" in the local language, Hebrew.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/23/cruise.holmes.reut/index.html

WMR
04-23-2006, 04:16 PM

JERUSALEM (Reuters) -- Suri, the name chosen by Hollywood couple Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes for their newborn daughter, is raising more than its share of interest in Israel.

That's what Katie screamed at Tom as she was 'laying with' the REAL father of her baby.

Cruise figured it must have been one of those speaking in tongue moments and L. Ron was trying desperately to get him a message

RFS62
04-23-2006, 07:23 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Raisor
04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
My wife wants to believe that the baby's father is actually Chris Klein (Katie's long time boyfriend) and that TomKat have him living in the basement at their house.

All a deal to get Tom some good pub.

Me, I think she used some frozen sperm left over from Bob Denver.

Yachtzee
04-23-2006, 09:51 PM
My wife wants to believe that the baby's father is actually Chris Klein (Katie's long time boyfriend) and that TomKat have him living in the basement at their house.

Actually it's Mr. Belvedere they have in the basement, in a giant glass jar.

savafan
04-23-2006, 11:51 PM

Actually, I believe that was Mrs. Baker.

Benny-Distefano
04-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Some others to consider:

Ramen
Crisco
Blender
Kit-Kat
Elmo
Snuffy