PDA

View Full Version : Shackleford & Gosling called up

Jaycint
04-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Being reported right now on 1360. :beerme: Not sure who got the hook but speculation is Burns.

flyer85
04-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Not sure who got the hook but speculation is Burns.The funny thing is that there isn't necessarily an obvious choice, there are 3-4 good candidates for being replaced.

Jaycint
04-19-2006, 09:58 AM
The funny thing is that there isn't necessarily an obvious choice, there are 3-4 good candidates for being replaced.

Yeah I'm guessing Burns because he has some options left...You're right though, there should be about 4 or 5 guys that left their phone off the hook this morning.

cumberlandreds
04-19-2006, 09:59 AM
The funny thing is that there isn't necessarily an obvious choice, there are 3-4 good candidates for being replaced.

I just posted on the other forum that you can have your pick of White,Hammand,Burns or Belisle. Just pick a name out of hat. You couldn't go wrong with whoever you drew.

Jaycint
04-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Or how about this (in my wildest dream) Shackleford called up, Milton DFA'd, Belisle to the rotation. Not that Belisle is much better mind you but hey, he aint Milton. Sorry, I'm still a little irritated after going to my first game of the year last night and getting treated to Milton 2005: The Revenge.

flyer85
04-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Sorry, I'm still a little irritated after going to my first game of the year last night and getting treated to Milton 2005: The Revenge.For those who want to give Milton a pass with his first two starts were good.

Milton's ERA in 2006 is now 6.50, what was his ERA in 2005?

The Florida Marlins aren't exactly the Gas House Gorillas.

Chip R
04-19-2006, 10:16 AM
For those who want to give Milton a pass with his first two starts were good.

Just think how the Cubs and Pirates feel now that they couldn't beat Milton but the AAA Marlins just beat the living crap out of him.

Kc61
04-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Or how about this (in my wildest dream) Shackleford called up, Milton DFA'd, Belisle to the rotation. Not that Belisle is much better mind you but hey, he aint Milton. Sorry, I'm still a little irritated after going to my first game of the year last night and getting treated to Milton 2005: The Revenge.

A Belisle stat since joining the Reds organization, majors and minors combined:

Innings -- 289.2

Hits allowed -- 343

If we need to replace Milton, I vote for Germano.

membengal
04-19-2006, 10:51 AM

Ouch. My sympathies. At this point, I have planned the yearly sojourn to Cincy from Memphis for the May 13 game against the Phillies. I am already dreading that being Milton's or Williams' day in the rotation and ruining the game before I get comfortable in my seat. It's like rotation roulette...

PS:

A few years ago, was up in May for a Marlins/Reds series, forget who the Reds pitcher was (seriously, have wiped it from my mind), but it was one of their reclamation projects (from the Royals?) and he didn't get anyone out in the first inning before being taken out of the game seven batters into a debacle. I have never been madder at a game in my life. Nothing worse than watching a game get over before it starts...

Danny Serafini
04-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Jeff Austin?

membengal
04-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Jeff Austin?

Yeeaarrrghhhh!

Yeah, that was it. Seriously, I think I suffered PTSD from seeing that "performance" live, and had banished that name from my memory bank. Just seeing it written again brings back all sorts of bad and bitter feelings...

Caseyfan21
04-19-2006, 11:04 AM
PS:

A few years ago, was up in May for a Marlins/Reds series, forget who the Reds pitcher was (seriously, have wiped it from my mind), but it was one of their reclamation projects (from the Royals?) and he didn't get anyone out in the first inning before being taken out of the game seven batters into a debacle. I have never been madder at a game in my life. Nothing worse than watching a game get over before it starts...

Try the Dodgers game last year when Paul Wilson started and it was 10-0 at the end of the first. That was a fun one...

kbrake
04-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Try the Dodgers game last year when Paul Wilson started and it was 10-0 at the end of the first. That was a fun one...

Try the one in 2003 agaisnt the Phillies, where Dempster and Sullivan (I believe) combined for something like 13 walks, it wasnt the first inning its was more like the 4th everything just fell apart. It was a day game I got a horrible sun burn waiting to see a strike. Now that I think about it, that was probaly the game that got us that damn "pitch to contact" crap. Ok we could be here all day if we just go back and count horrible pitching performances we have been to.

MWM
04-19-2006, 11:10 AM

I was at that game. It was also against the Marlins and it was right after McKeon took over. I was there with my dad and two brothers, the first and last time we've all been to a game together. It was a horrible game.

Caseyfan21
04-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I also read in Lance's blog that he would not be called up until after the game. Makes me think either:

1.) The pitcher going down will either pitch today at some point in the game
2.) Trade completed today (very unlikely IMO)
3.) Some sort of DL move will be made

He also mentioned in his blog that Gosling could be in Cincinnati today as well "just in case they need him."

Potential problems with Harang? I sure hope not.

Jaycint
04-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Yeah it's always nice to have that horrible sense of forboding before you even get to the park and then have your worst fears confirmed about 20 pitches into the game.

I told my girlfirend when we were on our way last night that I just had a bad feeling. Milton had a couple of nice mirage-type starts and it was time for Mr. Hyde to come out.

I also swore as we were leaving that I wouldn't be back for a game he starts the remainder of his time here. Last night's tickets were bought in advance so it was definitely a case of rotation roulette I was playing like membengal mentioned above.

Falls City Beer
04-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Yeah it's always nice to have that horrible sense of forboding before you even get to the park and then have your worst fears confirmed about 20 pitches into the game.

I told my girlfirend when we were on our way last night that I just had a bad feeling. Milton had a couple of nice mirage-type starts and it was time for Mr. Hyde to come out.

I also swore as we were leaving that I wouldn't be back for a game he starts the remainder of his time here. Last night's tickets were bought in advance so it was definitely a case of rotation roulette I was playing like membengal mentioned above.

This is exactly the sentiment that Castellini can't be happy about hearing; something has to be done about Milton.

I'm guessing they'll play the DL game for as long as they can play it--to save face for Milton and the franchise. But at some point, the reckoning will come.

To me, it's one of the grand tests of Castellini's commitment to this franchise: how he handles the Milton (and to a lesser extent, the Griffey) situation.

flyer85
04-19-2006, 11:22 AM
To me, it's one of the grand tests of Castellini's commitment to this franchise: how he handles the Milton (and to a lesser extent, the Griffey) situation.I agree although I think the Griffey situation is just as big because he clearly cannot be an everyday OF anymore. His legs aren't up to and he isn't getting any younger. How they handle the decline of a HOF player while not hurting the team will shed a lot of light.

Jaycint
04-19-2006, 11:28 AM
This is exactly the sentiment that Castellini can't be happy about hearing; something has to be done about Milton.

I'm guessing they'll play the DL game for as long as they can play it--to save face for Milton and the franchise. But at some point, the reckoning will come.

To me, it's one of the grand tests of Castellini's commitment to this franchise: how he handles the Milton (and to a lesser extent, the Griffey) situation.

Agreed, and believe me, I hate that I feel that way. The thing is, I only have so much income I can use towards entertainment in any given year. If I'm lucky I can afford to go the ballpark about 4 or 5 times in a season. To have those precious few times ruined before my arse has even warmed the seat I'm sitting in is just unacceptable.

LincolnparkRed
04-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I know that most people were ready to head to the nearest bridge last night but just remember the Marlins also hammered Pettite for their first win of the year. They most have an affinity for this type of pitcher. But why the couldn't touch Claussen on Monday is the mystery

RedsFan75
04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
UPDATED.........Reds announcement
The Reds today recalled from Class AAA Louisville LHP Michael Gosling and optioned to Louisville RHP Mike Burns...Gosling went 1-0, 1.64 in 2 starts for the Bats...he will wear uniform number 48...Burns went 0-0, 7.56 in 7 relief apps for the Reds.

Chip R
I agree although I think the Griffey situation is just as big because he clearly cannot be an everyday OF anymore. His legs aren't up to and he isn't getting any younger. How they handle the decline of a HOF player while not hurting the team will shed a lot of light.

Perhaps they need a manager who is not intimidated by telling Jr. that he is moving to LF, like it or not. Someone like Lou Piniella perhaps?

Heath
I know that most people were ready to head to the nearest bridge last night but just remember the Marlins also hammered Pettite for their first win of the year. They most have an affinity for this type of pitcher. But why the couldn't touch Claussen on Monday is the mystery

and there was every opportunity to rake on Claussen. He had 50 pitches by the end of the 3rd inning, and 90 by the end of the 5th. The Marlins did nothing to Claussen. It was the worst 7 inning 4 hit performance in recent memory.

Heath
04-19-2006, 11:52 AM
UPDATED.........Reds announcement
The Reds today recalled from Class AAA Louisville LHP Michael Gosling and optioned to Louisville RHP Mike Burns...Gosling went 1-0, 1.64 in 2 starts for the Bats...he will wear uniform number 48...Burns went 0-0, 7.56 in 7 relief apps for the Reds.

So, is Gosling starting or what?

Reds Fanatic
04-19-2006, 11:55 AM
So, is Gosling starting or what? Sounds like he is just taking Burns's place in the bullpen. So that means someone else is being sent down or DLd to make room for Shackelford after the game.

Chip R
04-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Perhaps Burns lasted this long because Krivsky thought he was a fan favorite. Maybe he thought the fans were yelling Boo-urns every time he pitched. ;)

Heath
04-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Perhaps Burns lasted this long because Krivsky thought he was a fan favorite. Maybe he thought the fans were yelling Boo-urns every time he pitched. ;)

Maybe WayneK likes MASH. Or the Simpsons.

Falls City Beer
04-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Maybe WayneK likes MASH. Or the Simpsons.

Or "To a Mouse, On Turning Her Up in Her Nest."

Heath
04-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Just a stupid thought - sorry to waste valuable space - but here are the FA Relievers available from espn.com

Wilson Alvarez
Jason Christiansen
Darren Dreifort
Chad Fox
Buddy Groom
Julio Mateo
Brian Meadows
Franklin Nunez
Jay Powell
Paul Quantrill
Al Reyes
Scott Sullivan
Ugueth Urbina

Here are the starters -

Pedro Astacio
Kevin Brown
Roger Clemens
Gary Glover
Jamey Wright

You think Kevin Brown is interested in relieving? :rolleyes:

There ain't much better than what we have now, IMO.

NJReds
04-19-2006, 12:16 PM

I think that the Marlins are going to be that type of team. They're very young, but have some talent. Some days they'll put it together, and others they'll look like the bunch of rookies that they are. Girardi's problem is that there will be many more bad days then good.

Chip R
04-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Ugie's not available unless you can do a Venezuelan prison break.

Caveat Emperor
04-19-2006, 12:19 PM

Ahh...the Jeff Austin debacle. I was at that game sitting out in right field. All my friends decided to get drunk after the first inning and we spent the rest of the evening heckling the Marlins outfield -- usual stuff, calling Juan Pierre a frenchman and making all sorts of baugette jokes. Maybe that was another time -- I don't remember the evening well other than the disgust over Austin. God, what an awful night of baseball, almost as bad as the time at Cinergy the Reds melted down on Mother's Day and blew a 6 or 7 run lead.

Gosling is no better. I'm just curious as to whether the corresponding move is to send Belisle back to AAA to start (because he certainly can't hack it as a reliever -- it takes him too long to get a feel for his pitches on the mound) or to do something about Dave Williams and his 82 MPH fastball. If Gosling sticks, that is...

OnBaseMachine
04-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Why is Al Reyes still available? Dude allowed only 38 hits and struckout 67 batters in 63.2 innings last year while posting a 2.15 ERA with the Cards.

BuckU
04-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Just a stupid thought - sorry to waste valuable space - but here are the FA Relievers available from espn.com

Brian Meadows

Here are the starters -

Jamey Wright

You think Kevin Brown is interested in relieving? :rolleyes:

There ain't much better than what we have now, IMO.

ESPN is a little behind (ho hum). Meadows is with Tampa, Wright is with San Fransisco.

StillFunkyB
04-19-2006, 12:29 PM
I was at that game. It was also against the Marlins and it was right after McKeon took over. I was there with my dad and two brothers, the first and last time we've all been to a game together. It was a horrible game.

I was there as well.

SteelSD
04-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Why is Al Reyes still available? Dude allowed only 38 hits and struckout 67 batters in 63.2 innings last year while posting a 2.15 ERA with the Cards.

Tommy John surgery after popping his elbow on the last day of the 2005 regular season.

OnBaseMachine
04-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Tommy John surgery after popping his elbow on the last day of the 2005 regular season.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks!

Puffy
04-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Yes!! More bad pitchers on there way to help. This is like dressing up a gunshot wound with some Flintstone vitamins and a Dora the Explorer bandaid.

Yippee.

redsfan30
04-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Could the Reds do something similar to what they did with Grant Balfour? Sign Reyes to a cheap deal, knowing he can't help you this year but also knowing that when he's ready he'd be a nice upgrade to your bullpen?

Chip R
04-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Could the Reds do something similar to what they did with Grant Balfour? Sign Reyes to a cheap deal, knowing he can't help you this year but also knowing that when he's ready he'd be a nice upgrade to your bullpen?

They could but that doesn't help us much now.

Caseyfan21
04-19-2006, 12:44 PM
So what is everyone's prediction on the corresponding roster move should Shackleford get called up after the game?

I think either Hammond is released, Belisle goes down to the minors or Williams goes on the DL.

I read on Lance's blog in his section on things he believes will happen soon that Williams would be put on the DL. What is wrong with him that he would need to go on the DL? If he does go on the DL that would make sense to have Gosling up here for his starts.

Also, Gosling last pitched on Saturday, the same day as Williams last start so he would be in turn should they need a starter tomorrow if Williams went on the DL. That just doesn't fit as why would they put him on the roster today instead of Shackleford if they weren't planning on using him until tomorrow.

Redsfaithful
04-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Try the one in 2003 agaisnt the Phillies, where Dempster and Sullivan (I believe) combined for something like 13 walks, it wasnt the first inning its was more like the 4th everything just fell apart. It was a day game I got a horrible sun burn waiting to see a strike. Now that I think about it, that was probaly the game that got us that damn "pitch to contact" crap. Ok we could be here all day if we just go back and count horrible pitching performances we have been to.

I was at that game, in the right field stands. Easily the worst game I've ever been to.

Candy Cummings
04-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Marc Lancaster seems to think that Shackelford might be called up and Gosling sent down after today's game.

REDREAD
04-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Perhaps they need a manager who is not intimidated by telling Jr. that he is moving to LF, like it or not. Someone like Lou Piniella perhaps?

Jr has said that he wouldn't mind moving to a corner OF spot if the guy manning CF was a good defender.

How do you arrange the OF if Jr is moved to LF? I guess you could move Dunn to 1b where he's not happy and play McCracken in CF (Not seen the guy in a long time, so I don't know how good he is defensively).

In a rebuilding year, is it worth ruffling both Jr and Dunn's feathers to make that change though?

Matt700wlw
04-19-2006, 01:55 PM
So what is everyone's prediction on the corresponding roster move should Shackleford get called up after the game?

Shackelford comes up, Gosling goes back down. For now.

LoganBuck
04-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Shackelford comes up, Gosling goes back down. For now.

The next question is why?

Chip R
04-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Jr has said that he wouldn't mind moving to a corner OF spot if the guy manning CF was a good defender.

How do you arrange the OF if Jr is moved to LF? I guess you could move Dunn to 1b where he's not happy and play McCracken in CF (Not seen the guy in a long time, so I don't know how good he is defensively).

In a rebuilding year, is it worth ruffling both Jr and Dunn's feathers to make that change though?

So he says. He may be amenable to the move and he may not. I'm just speculating that Narron doesn't have the stones to ask.

We could always call up Denorfia and put him in CF and move Dunn to 1B. He may not like it but he would have to learn to love it.

When isn't there going to be a rebuilding year? You think we'll contend next year? Might as well get them used to their new positions sooner than later.

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Dunn is a 1st baseman, he just needs to accept it, anywhere else he goes they are to put him at 1st or DH him.

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 03:49 PM
New arms in the pen :clap:

Can't be any worse..right? ;)

WVRed
04-19-2006, 06:42 PM
I just read that the Reds demoted Burns to AAA, called up Gosling, then after this game, demoted Gosling and replaced him with Shackelford.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=AqrgdrlMtoNt6jgG_07i2OcRvLYF?gid=260419 117&prov=ap

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Is that legal?

Chip R
04-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Is that legal?

You gonna call a cop?

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 07:41 PM
I might ;)

I thought you couldn't send a guy down for 10 days after recalling him?

reds44
04-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Bout time Shack got the call up!

redsfan4445
04-19-2006, 07:54 PM
"KronoRed I might

I thought you couldn't send a guy down for 10 days after recalling him?

KronoRed... the 10 day rule is when you send them down.. not bring them up..

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Ahh..

IC :D

red-in-la
04-19-2006, 08:56 PM

I went to a game at Dodger stadium years ago.....went with a bunch of Dodger fans from my office....like 35 of us.

Big Bird (Tim Birtsas) started the game and it was like 13-5 before I got to finally go home.....one thing I will always remember about that game though is that in his last year, Davey Comcepcion pitched.....and he struck out a Dodger 1B by the name of Franklin (that is his last name) on a knuckle ball.

I believe it was about 8-0 after 1 inning.

GAC
04-19-2006, 09:05 PM

eenie, meanie, minie, moe. ;)

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 09:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Kronosb/1.jpg

Gallen5862
04-20-2006, 12:53 AM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...9/c1408199.jsp
Notes: Gosling makes Reds debut
04/19/2006 7:10 PM ET
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Pitcher Michael Gosling definitely logged plenty of car time on Interstate 71 on Wednesday.
With the Reds short on available long relievers against the Marlins, Gosling was called up from Triple-A Louisville to replace reliever Mike Burns, who was optioned back to Louisville.

Upon the day's completion, Gosling had another 100-mile drive to make. He was sent back to the Bats, and lefty Brian Shackelford was recalled from Louisville.

In between, the 25-year-old made his Reds debut.

Gosling, who was 1-0 with a 1.64 ERA in two starts for Louisville, was available to back up in case something happened to Reds starter Aaron Harang before or early in the game. Swing man Matt Belisle was needed the previous night and wasn't available.

"We needed somebody with some length today," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "You don't expect a starter to go down in the bullpen warming up, but you have to be prepared for it, possibly."

Harang lasted just four innings in Cincinnati's 9-8 win over Florida, so Gosling was summoned for the top of the fifth. He was charged with two earned runs and one hit. Gosling also walked a batter and hit Mike Jacobs in the head with a pitch. Jacobs was down for a moment, but he was not injured.

Before the Reds acquired Bronson Arroyo in Spring Training, Gosling was considered a candidate for the big-league rotation. But after two impressive outings, everything seemed to fall apart for him. He allowed 12 earned runs on 11 hits while completing just two-thirds of an inning over two games.

Since camp, Gosling believed he fixed some bad habits mechanically and toughened up mentally.

"I'm throwing the ball much better," he said. "I got my mechanics straightened out, which helped my confidence. I'm pitching aggressively. My first couple of starts in Triple-A went well. I'll try to keep that going, the aggressive mentality when I pitch, whether it's here or there."

Why Burns? Burns pitched in three of the last four games, and he often struggled to get outs in his seven appearances this season. The right-hander was 0-0 with a 7.56 ERA in 8 1/3 innings, and he allowed all four of his inherited runners to score.

"I'm sure he would have liked to have pitched better," Narron said. "Here's hoping he goes down there and when we need someone, they say 'Mike Burns is pitching great.'"

Shackelford ready: Shackelford probably would have been called up directly had he not pitched the previous two games for Louisville. The lefty has been the Bats' best reliever, going 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA in seven games. He was 1-0 with a 2.43 ERA in 37 games last season with Cincinnati.

"Shack did a good job for us a year ago," Narron said. "He's a very good guy to match up against left-handed hitters, and we're glad to have him back."

Shackelford was cut near the end of Spring Training, partly because the Reds already had two lefty relievers in Kent Mercker and Chris Hammond. But the 29-year-old also had difficulty throwing strikes, especially to right-handed hitters. Shackelford issued seven walks in 12 innings this spring.

"That's one of the things I didn't do well in Spring Training," Shackelford said. "You can't just go out there and face lefties every day. Situations might call for otherwise.

"I'm just happy I got a chance to come up here as quick as I did, and I hope I can do the job whenever I get called on."

Lopez rested: With challenging lefty Dontrelle Willis starting Wednesday's game for Florida, Narron opted to use a mostly right-handed lineup. But he decided to give shortstop Felipe Lopez his first rest, starting Rich Aurilia in his place.

That meant lefty-hitting Scott Hatteberg was starting at first base. Hatteberg had never faced Willis before.

"I didn't tell Hattie last night before he left," Narron said. "He might be shocked when he walks in the door, I don't know."

Lopez entered the game as a pinch-hitter in the eighth inning and had an RBI infield single to second base.

Sick bay: In an added quandary for the Cincinnati bullpen, Hammond was unavailable Wednesday because he was sick with the flu. He came in to be looked at by the trainers, and he was sent home. Not expected to be on the team charter flight after the game, Hammond will meet the team in Milwaukee.

Farm report: In his first start for Louisville, veteran lefty Darrell May allowed two runs and five hits over 5 1/3 innings, including four scoreless frames to begin the game. May was signed by Cincinnati after he was cut this spring from Twins camp.

The Bats beat Syracuse, 4-3, in 11 innings on Andy Abad's RBI double. Shackelford got the win.

Coming up: The Reds will commence a seven-game road trip with the first of four games at Milwaukee on Thursday at 8:05 p.m. ET. Dave Williams will start for Cincinnati against the Brewers' Tomo Ohka.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Gallen5862
04-20-2006, 12:58 AM
[QUOTE=Gallen5862]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...9/c1408199.jsp

Sick bay: In an added quandary for the Cincinnati bullpen, Hammond was unavailable Wednesday because he was sick with the flu. He came in to be looked at by the trainers, and he was sent home. Not expected to be on the team charter flight after the game, Hammond will meet the team in Milwaukee.

The Reds should put Hammond on the DL to make sure he has plenty of time to recover from the Flu and gets his strength back. Then let him do some rehab minor league games.:) :D

remdog
04-20-2006, 01:26 AM
"In an added quandary for the Cincinnati bullpen, Hammond was unavailable Wednesday because he was sick with the flu. He came in to be looked at by the trainers, and he was sent home. Not expected to be on the team charter flight after the game, Hammond will meet the team in Milwaukee."

Oh good. Put him on a civilian flight and let him infect the general populus. :p:

Rem

KronoRed
04-20-2006, 04:27 AM
He's probably already infected the rest of the pitching staff.

Heath
04-20-2006, 10:20 AM
He's probably already infected the rest of the pitching staff.

We already know he's infected the fans of this ball club.

Get ready for tossing tomatoes - Darrell May could do no worse than Dave Williams. Might has well try him.

KronoRed
04-20-2006, 03:43 PM
:lol:

Seriously, by the time you show symptoms it's already too late for those in close contact..and that bounch yesterday probably didn't help :evil: