PDA

View Full Version : Shackelford & Gosling called up

Redlegs23
04-19-2006, 09:45 AM
This is per Lance's blog. Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I couldn't find anything on it. Not sure who's being replaced though.

http://lance1360homer.com/blog.asp

membengal
04-19-2006, 09:47 AM
I have $10 dollars on it being Mike Burns who's headed out.

Reds Fanatic
04-19-2006, 09:47 AM
I would guess it would Burns that is being released. Very good move to bring Shackelford back.

Caveat Emperor
04-19-2006, 09:48 AM
This is per Lance's blog. Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I couldn't find anything on it. Not sure who's being replaced though.

http://lance1360homer.com/blog.asp

LaRue took Griffey's roster spot. I'd imagine this time a pitcher will go.

After last night's debacle, I'd guess the smart money is on Mike Burns, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Matt Belisle sent back to down to Louisville to either start or work out his "mid-inning" problem.

indyred
04-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if someone gets a hangnail and hits 15 day dl........

lollipopcurve
04-19-2006, 09:49 AM
got to be Burns

deltachi8
04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
LaRue took Griffey's roster spot. I'd imagine this time a pitcher will go.

After last night's debacle, I'd guess the smart money is on Mike Burns, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Matt Belisle sent back to down to Louisville to either start or work out his "mid-inning" problem.

While I think it is most likey Burns, Sending Belise out to get a couple starts in and streatch his arm isnt a wacky idea.

redsmetz
04-19-2006, 09:57 AM
While I think it is most likey Burns, Sending Belise out to get a couple starts in and streatch his arm isnt a wacky idea.

Following another line of conversation on the board, maybe Milton's going on the DL.

Danny Serafini
04-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Here's the part that worries me more:

"I'm also being told Mike Gosling could be called up, just for today, in case they need him."

Is there a problem with Harang that would cause him to miss today's start? That would also explain not calling up Shackelford until after the game. Burns goes down, Gosling comes up today for a spot start, goes down tomorrow and Schackelford takes his spot.

flyer85
04-19-2006, 10:06 AM
"I'm also being told Gosling could be called up, just for todayI would prefer a more experienced goose.

deltachi8
04-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Here's the part that worries me more:

"I'm also being told Mike Gosling could be called up, just for today, in case they need him."

Is there a problem with Harang that would cause him to miss today's start? That would also explain not calling up Shackelford until after the game. Burns goes down, Gosling comes up today for a spot start, goes down tomorrow and Schackelford takes his spot.

Interesting, perhapps Harang is sick.

I probably would be a bit queasy after watching the game last night.

Kc61
04-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Maybe Gosling comes up for today in case they need long relief. The long relievers have pitched a lot of innings in recent days, including last night.

redsfanfalcon
04-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Hopefully their thinking is they used a lot of bullpenners last night, therefore Gosling is available. I hope Harang starts, especially since after Friday's game.

flyer85
04-19-2006, 10:11 AM
when your bullpen isn't composed of some interchangeable parts a couple of poor starts can blow out a portion of it very quickly.

Strikes Out Looking
04-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Maybe Womack's gone?

RedsFan75
04-19-2006, 10:50 AM
UPDATED.........Reds announcement
The Reds today recalled from Class AAA Louisville LHP Michael Gosling and optioned to Louisville RHP Mike Burns...Gosling went 1-0, 1.64 in 2 starts for the Bats...he will wear uniform number 48...Burns went 0-0, 7.56 in 7 relief apps for the Reds.

TStuck
04-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Confirmed per Lance's blog update:
Burns optioned to Louisville.
Gosling recalled.

flyer85
04-19-2006, 10:55 AM
The Reds need someone that can pitch 2-3 innings if needed, thus the recall of Gosling. If he actually gets in the game it will be because they are way behind.

TheBigLebowski
04-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Burns is freaking horrible and this move is 2 weeks late.

Instead of sending him down, they should just flat out cut him.

Do the same thing with Hammond. Heck, do the same thing with everyone in our 'pen except Coffey and Weathers.

traderumor
04-19-2006, 11:00 AM
So is Shack coming up or not? That's an awful lot of lefties--Claussen, Milton, Williams, Mercker, Hammond, Gosling, and Shack? Can't imagine that, but then we have a dozen 2bman and 3 catchers, so who knows.

Redlegs23
04-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Burns is freaking horrible and this move is 2 weeks late.

Instead of sending him down, they should just flat out cut him.

Do the same thing with Hammond. Heck, do the same thing with everyone in our 'pen except Coffey and Weathers.

Let me finish that last sentence for you.

...and Mercker.

Chip R
04-19-2006, 11:08 AM
So is Shack coming up or not? That's an awful lot of lefties--Claussen, Milton, Williams, Mercker, Hammond, Gosling, and Shack? Can't imagine that, but then we have a dozen 2bman and 3 catchers, so who knows.

I think he's going to be called up after the game today.

flyer85
04-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I think he's going to be called up after the game today.Gosling for long relief if needed today, makes sense because Shack has pitched the last two days.

Caveat Emperor
04-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Maybe Dave Williams is going to the DL? His velocity looked awful in his last start and nobody has been able to explain it. You're not going to retire many major league hitters throwing 82-84 on the fastball when your only other pitch is a slow curve.

It sounds like Gosling isn't going to be around for very long, though, so I'd imagine whatever happens isn't going to be earth shattering. What's the rule on recalling and optioning players w/ short turnaround anyway? Isn't there a minimum amount of time that has to pass between a recall and an optioning? They can't just recall Gosling this morning and option him back tomorrow, right?

Gary Redus
04-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Yes they can. It is the other way that has a time frame. Once a player is optioned to the minors, there is a window were they can't be recalled unless an injury or something. I think the window is 10 days.

Caseyfan21
04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Maybe Dave Williams is going to the DL? His velocity looked awful in his last start and nobody has been able to explain it. You're not going to retire many major league hitters throwing 82-84 on the fastball when your only other pitch is a slow curve.

It sounds like Gosling isn't going to be around for very long, though, so I'd imagine whatever happens isn't going to be earth shattering. What's the rule on recalling and optioning players w/ short turnaround anyway? Isn't there a minimum amount of time that has to pass between a recall and an optioning? They can't just recall Gosling this morning and option him back tomorrow, right?

Williams turn in the rotation is tomorrow. Gosling would also be on his normal rest for starting tomorrow. Maybe it's a one start and back down deal should Williams go on the DL.

Doc. Scott
04-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Only the Gosling/Burns exchange is on ESPN. If Shackleford is coming up after the game, perhaps it's to DL someone we don't yet know about or the impending release of Chris Hammond.

Matt700wlw
04-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Don't be surprised if Shack is called up after the game.

TOBTTReds
04-19-2006, 12:24 PM
I think Gosling is here just literally for today, then shack comes up tonight, and Gosling goes back down.

Chip R
04-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Don't be surprised if Shack is called up after the game.

Yeah, I think we got that, Scoop. :p:

Matt700wlw
04-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I think we got that, Scoop. :p:

just making sure :p: :D :p:

reds44
04-19-2006, 04:50 PM
So wait. Gosling is going down and Shack coming up now correct?

So basically it was

Shack up
Burns down

just trying to make sure.

BRM
04-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Per Marc:

Rounded the corner into the clubhouse after the game and saw Brian Shackelford in front of his locker, a grin plastered to his face. And why not? He's been pretty solid for Louisville so far, and he was about to board the Reds' bus to the airport for the trip to Milwaukee. He won't officially be recalled until tomorrow, but Gosling was optioned back down after the game and Shackelford is here for a while.

Which of course is fine with him.

"I was throwing the ball pretty good," he said of his seven games with the Bats. "There were a couple adjustments I had to make to get my shoulder back to where it was. It was just basically getting the innings in and getting back out there and staying on top of things in game-like situations."

Tom Hume said he believes Shackelford proved last year he can pitch at this level and that the lefty's difficulties throughout most of spring training were an aberration.

"I think he was just behind," said Hume. "He was in a period where he was dragging a little bit with his arm during spring training, and he tried to pitch through it instead of holding back a little bit. I think right towards the end is when he started putting everything back together again."