PDA

View Full Version : 5 Minor Leaguers Suspended For Steriod Use

Jpup
04-19-2006, 12:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2413003

NEW YORK -- Arizona Diamondbacks minor-league pitcher Angel Rocha was suspended for 100 games Tuesday, the toughest penalty baseball has levied for a positive steroids test.

Rocha was suspended for 15 games last June 6.

"We understand and support the commissioner's policy on this matter, and agree with the importance and impact of the proper enforcement," Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes said in a statement. "We will continue to make education a top priority for our players at all levels of our system."

Four minor-league players were suspended for 50 games each for testing positive: Los Angeles Angels pitcher Karl Jelinas, New York Mets pitcher Jorge Reyes, St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Yonathan Sivira and San Diego Padres pitcher Matthew Varner.

The penalty for an initial positive test this year was increased from 15 games to 50 for players with minor-league contracts, and the penalty for a second positive test rose from 30 games to 100.

For major-leaguers, the punishment was lengthened from 10 days to 50 games -- but any test for major-leaguers is treated as a first positive test.

There were 81 suspensions last season for violations of the minor-league drug program, and four minor-league pitchers were suspended last week.

Chip R
04-19-2006, 12:34 PM
I was going to post this yesterday but I forgot. Man, 100 games is a huge suspension. That's almost the whole season for the minors.

SteelSD
04-19-2006, 12:37 PM
I was going to post this yesterday but I forgot. Man, 100 games is a huge suspension. That's almost the whole season for the minors.

Yep.

And what I find interesting (but not surprising) is the number of pitchers being caught.

Jpup
04-19-2006, 12:41 PM

Who were the 4 last week? I missed that.

Chip R
04-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Who were the 4 last week? I missed that.

I dunno but a couple of them were our guys.

Jpup
04-19-2006, 12:45 PM
I dunno but a couple of them were our guys.

Here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2405455

NEW YORK -- Four minor league pitchers were suspended 50 games each by the commissioner's office Tuesday for violating baseball's minor league drug program, the first penalties since the sport toughened its rules during the offseason.

Two of the pitchers were in the Cincinnati Reds' organization: Ramon Ramirez and Justin Mallet. Also suspended were Waner Mateo of the New York Mets and Ryan Rafferty of the Kansas City Royals.

None has ever pitched in the majors.

Mallet was penalized for testing positive for a drug of abuse. The others tested positive for performance-enhancing substances.

The penalty this year for an initial positive test was increased from 15 games to 50 for players with minor league contracts. For major-leaguers, the punishment was lengthened from 10 days to 50 games.

There were 81 suspensions last season for violations of the minor league drug program.

savafan
04-19-2006, 01:00 PM
And what I find interesting (but not surprising) is the number of pitchers being caught.

Looking at the number of homeruns around the majors already this year, I have to think that, worst case scenario, a lot of MLB pitchers were using steroids in the past, and best case, they were using amphetamines.

SteelSD
04-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Looking at the number of homeruns around the majors already this year, I have to think that, worst case scenario, a lot of MLB pitchers were using steroids in the past, and best case, they were using amphetamines.

Never a doubt in my mind. It's illogical (and always has been) to think that peformance enhancing would be isolated to the offensive side of the coin.

KronoRed
04-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Interesting, lots of minor league no names being caught, but so far very few big league big names.

VERY interesting ;)

TC81190
04-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Most prominent name there is Varner.

3.51 ERA/7.90 h9/.88 hr9/3.31 BB9/8.97 k9/1.25 WHIP lifetime minors.

vaticanplum
04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Never a doubt in my mind. It's illogical (and always has been) to think that peformance enhancing would be isolated to the offensive side of the coin.

Does anybody know if there's a DIFFERENCE in the kind of steroids they take? Greenies give you energy, so that makes sense, but on the most basic level, I don't think of "bulking up" in and of itself as a benefit to a pitcher (and obviously steroids for sluggers go beyond just "bulking up", but the physical differences are notable). Reports of steroid use never really delve into the details, and with the Bonds book out now I think the general public is getting a little more interested and would like to know the details.

Also, one was tested for a "drug of abuse" -- what does that mean? Marijuana? Cocaine? Or still a steroid?

Ravenlord
04-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Also, one was tested for a "drug of abuse" -- what does that mean? Marijuana? Cocaine? Or still a steroid?

that would be any 'recreational' drug. pot, meth, aphedamines (sp), ect.

Ravenlord
04-20-2006, 10:32 AM
here's a very good article on steroids taken by world class athletes. you'll have to hit 'page up' to get to the top of the article.

http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/43/7/1262#R4