PDA

View Full Version : APRIL 19, 1970 .. Reds' Rookie Pitcher Continues His Dominance

LINEDRIVER
04-19-2006, 12:07 PM
April 19th Reds' History

APRIL 19, 1970...Reds' pitching phenom Wayne Simpson makes his third major league start and allows a first inning double to outfielder Ken Henderson before no-hitting the Giants over the final eight and one-third innings. Cincinnati third baseman Tony Perez takes Gaylord Perry deep for a first-inning 2-run HR and goes 3-for-3 on the day with 4 RBI’s. Simpson runs his record to 3-0 with today’s complete game one-hitter. The right-handed Simpson threw a complete game two-hitter against the Dodgers while making his major league debut on April 9th.

--other April 19 Reds' History--

APRIL 19, 1965...The Cincinnati Reds win, 2-0, behind the one-hit pitching of fireballer Jim Maloney in Milwaukee. Infielder Denis Menke manages to get the only hit for the Braves, a harmless eighth inning single.

APRIL 19, 1975...The ‘Big Red Machine’ Cincinnati Reds treat the home crowd to a thrilling come from behind victory over the Houston Astros at Riverfront Satdium. After being down, 8-3, after six innings, the Reds score 2 runs in the 7th, and 1 run in the 8th. In the bottom of the 9th, Tony Perez scores on his solo homer, Ken Griffey scores on Pete Rose’s single, and Danny Driessen scores the winning run on Davey Concepcion’s single. Final score, Cincinnati 9, Houston 8.

--April 19 MLB History--

APRIL 19, 1949...During pre-game festivities on Opening Day in Yankee Stadium, the Yankees' unveil a granite monument honoring Babe Ruth. Ruth died on August 16, 1948. The monument sits in center field next to the plaques of former manager Miller Huggins and Yankee legend Lou Gehrig.

APRIL 19, 1960...Roger Maris plays his first game in a Yankees' uniform after coming to New York in a trade with Kansas City in an off-season trade. The left-handed hitting Maris belts a pair of homers and knocks in four runs. New York wins in Boston, 8-4.

APRIL 19, 1965...The clear panels in the roof of the brand new Houston Astrodome are painted at a cost of $20,000 after fielders have difficulty seeing fly balls and pop-ups. The new coat of paint blocks the sunlight and will eventually cause the natural grass to die. The solution to the problem will be the installation of a green carpet, complete with padding and made to resemble natural grass. It will be called ‘Astroturf’.

APRIL 19, 1979...Ace reliever Goose Gossage and catcher/designated-hitter Cliff Johnson fight in the Yankees' clubhouse after the 6-3 loss to the Orioles. Gossage injures his thumb and will miss the next three months of the season. Yankees’ owner George Steinbrenner is not a happy camper.

APRIL 19, 1986...Twenty-year-old pitcher Jose Rijo sets an Oakland team record by fanning 16 batters as the A’s defeat the Mariners, 7-2.

DID YOU KNOW? ... Did you know that Mike Jorgenson was the only MLB player born on the day that Babe Ruth died? Jorgenson, born August 16, 1948, played in the big leagues in 1968 and 1970-1985 with the Mets, Expos, A’s, Rangers, Braves, and Cardinals. Jorgenson appeared in 1633 games, hit .243 in 3421 at-bats, drove in 426 runs, and hit 95 HR’s. Jorgenson was a Gold Glove first baseman with the Montreal Expos in 1973.

creek14
04-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Jim Maloney
He was my first Adam Dunn.

Chip R
04-19-2006, 12:54 PM
He was my first Adam Dunn.

Would that make Adam your 2nd Jim Maloney?

creek14
04-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Would that make Adam your 2nd Jim Maloney?
No Dave Concepcion was my second Jim Maloney. So Adam is #3. Poor baby.

Chip R
04-19-2006, 05:03 PM
No Dave Concepcion was my second Jim Maloney. So Adam is #3. Poor baby.

Fickle wench, aren't ya? ;)

creek14
04-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Fickle wench, aren't ya? ;)
Yeah, I pick a new favorite evey two decades.

But Tony Conigliaro, God rest his soul, will always be my all time favorite. I just pretended he didn't have the Sox part after the Red part.

flyer85
04-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Wayne Simpson, injured that arm before his rookie season was over and he was never the same and quickly gone

RFS62
04-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I pick a new favorite evey two decades.

Sounds like a line from Bull Durham.