PDA

View Full Version : L.A. woman diagnosed with bubonic plague

Reds Nd2
04-20-2006, 03:44 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12387983/?GT1=7938

LOS ANGELES - A woman is in stable condition with bubonic plague, the first confirmed human case in Los Angeles County since 1984, health officials said Tuesday.

The woman, who was not identified, was admitted to a hospital April 13 with a fever, swollen lymph nodes and other symptoms. A blood test confirmed the bacterial disease, and she was given antibiotics, officials said.

Bubonic plague is not contagious, but if left untreated it can morph into pneumonic plague, which is. Bubonic plague is usually transmitted to humans from the bites of fleas infected by rodents.

Health officials said they suspect the woman was exposed by fleas in her home and that there was no cause for alarm. An estimated 10 to 20 Americans contract plague each year, mostly in rural communities.

Bubonic plague is believed to have been the "Black Death" that killed 25 million people in Europe between 1346 and 1351.

RedFanAlways1966
04-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Bubonic plague is not contagious, but if left untreated it can morph into pneumonic plague, which is. Bubonic plague is usually transmitted to humans from the bites of fleas infected by rodents.

Which is.... what!??! Pneumonic plague is what?!?!??! The suspense is more killer than the plague... :devil:

I guess this lady needs to start buying her pet(s) flea collars and/or give them some serious flea baths. Looks like my poor mutt is gettin' a bath tonight!

MrCinatit
04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
While a terrible tragedy, the plague at least did give us one of the most memorable movie moments of all time.

"I'm not dead."
"What?"
"Nothing."
"'E said 'e's not dead."
"Um...yes he is."

You know the rest.

smith288
04-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Wow. Not only does she get the plague...her "dirty laundry" gets aired regarding her filthy house. lol.

Yachtzee
04-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Wow. Not only does she get the plague...her "dirty laundry" gets aired regarding her filthy house. lol.

I didn't see where it said her house was filthy. I just saw that she had fleas in her house. If you've ever had pets that spend some time outdoors, it's pretty easy to get fleas in the house. In some areas you have to be vigilant to keep the pets from bringing fleas in.

smith288
04-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I didn't see where it said her house was filthy. I just saw that she had fleas in her house. If you've ever had pets that spend some time outdoors, it's pretty easy to get fleas in the house. In some areas you have to be vigilant to keep the pets from bringing fleas in.
If your kid gets lice, common among the rest of the school is that you are filthy even if you arent.

So I will paint with a broad brush and say her house is dirty.

BTW, i have two pets and never get fleas as I suppose im "vigilant". That or I put the flea deterent on them which takes all of 2 min.

On the other hand, I used to live at my great grandmas farm house when we were constructing next door and there was fleas everywhere and I would classify that as filthy (i dont think those flea drop things were selling yet so you would be right about the vigilant part, we werent)

Yachtzee
04-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Growing up, my parents lived in an area that had a real flea problem. I remember we tried everything to keep those fleas out. Collars, dips, powders, flea bombs,...it was really hard to keep them out. Everyone on the street who had dogs had the same problem. When the flea drops came out, it was a real godsend. Frontline kicks butt.