PDA

View Full Version : Second Favorite Team?

reds1869
04-20-2006, 11:08 AM
If you all are like me, you probably have a second MLB team that you take an interest in for some reason or another. For me, it's the Boston Red Sox. My sister got me hooked when she moved up there, and I really enjoyed their World Series year because she would call me from Fenway after the games ended and give me the details. Maybe it's because I saw a team get my baseball hating sister hooked on my sport, but I fell in love with that team. I watch them on Extra Innings when Cincinnati isn't on and get as much info as I can from the internet. They'll never touch the Reds in my heart, but I do own a Red Sox t-shirt, a Ted Williams jersey and some memorabilia.

So what other team in MLB do you follow, if any? Why do you like them, or if you can't cheer for anyone else, why not?

redsfan30
04-20-2006, 11:10 AM
I tend to root not for one specific other team, but for a few. I like to see the small-market teams like Oakland, Kansas City, Pittsburgh and others win.

BRM
04-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I tend to root not for one specific other team, but for a few. I like to see the small-market teams like Oakland, Kansas City, Pittsburgh and others win.

Same here. I like Oakland in particular. I've started following the Rockies the last several years as well. I'm living here, I might as well learn to love them! :)

westofyou
04-20-2006, 11:12 AM
http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10107000/10107200.jpg

Joseph
04-20-2006, 11:14 AM
You need to leave the board now.

:)

Kidding.

I have, on occasion, rooted for another team strictly for apparel reasons. Like I used to love the supposedly offensive indian on he Indians old hats. So I didn't cheer for them really, but I did have a hat. I also did almost buy a Red Sox cap once for a similar reason.

I have never ever followed another team. Sure I've chosed sides in the World Series, or even just wathcing a regular season game on TV though.

No second favorites in baseball of which to speak.

indyred
04-20-2006, 11:15 AM
MY AL team is the Indians.........Going to see Jacobs Field at some point this year........how far drive is it from Cincy to Cleveland?

vaticanplum
04-20-2006, 11:17 AM
All I can think of when I see that picture is "Deeeee-troit!"

I root for the Reds and the Yankees. I love them equally; my heart is split right down the middle. This is not as painful as it sounds.

minus5
04-20-2006, 11:22 AM
MY AL team is the Indians.........Going to see Jacobs Field at some point this year........how far drive is it from Cincy to Cleveland?

Right around 4 hours.

westofyou
04-20-2006, 11:23 AM
BTW I don't "root" for the Tigers, nor do I really follow them. But they are my first love, something that is just always going to be with me.

Better than a tattoo IMO

BTW that's Cardinals coach Dave Duncan with the flowing locks, when he was on the Indians (the team with the offensive (and my indian friend concurs) logo) ;)

CRedsLarkin11
04-20-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm an all-Reds guy, it's not as painful as it sounds, :D

Red Leader
04-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm a closet Tribe fan.

I went to school at Kent St. and went to a bunch of Tribe games when I was in college. My in-laws live near Cleveland and my father in law and my brother in law and I will go to Tribe games occasionally when I go to visit. I like watching AL ball.

RedsManRick
04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Though nobody comes close to the Reds, I suppose the Twins are my #2. I went to high school in the Minneapolis burbs so I got to following them then.

Heath
04-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Tampa Bay Deviled Eggs.

Hands down.

BuckWoody
04-20-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm all Reds all the time and YES, it is as painful as it sounds. :(

I absolutely love the Cubs because of their tradition and their great fans....sorry, I just wanted to see if I could type that and keep a straight face. I couldn't. ;)

I guess I have had a few distant #2's. I always liked the Astros with Bagwell and Biggio. I liked the Red Sox a bit because I could identify with their fans and their struggles over the years, that has since waned as they won the title in '04. I have family in Wisconsin so I don't hate on the Brewers too much.

creek14
04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Second favorite team? I don't even know what those words mean.

If you cut me, I bleed Red. :)

reds2221
04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Reds and thats it. But my brother is a Red Sox fan (don't know why) so i occasionally watch their games.

Johnny Footstool
04-20-2006, 11:59 AM
NL - no teams. All of them are the enemies of the Reds.

AL - Allard Baird has beaten the crap out of any feelings I had for the Royals. I root for Oakland because I like the idea that smart people can use creativity and a fresh perspective to produce winning teams.

IowaRed
04-20-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't have a 2nd favorite team although I have vowed on several occasions that I was going to leave the Reds, especially over the last few years. If pressed I would say my second favorite team is whoever the Cubs are playing that particular day or the Orioles since my brother has followed them for 30+ years.

Crash Davis
04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
I've been seeing the Red Sox off and on for over 20 years.

MartyFan
04-20-2006, 12:09 PM
My second favorite team is the D-Rays.

I lived in the Tampa area during the first few seasons of the team and really enjoyed going to see the games...HATE where they play but really am amazed at all the young talent that has come through there + when they had Vaughn, McGriff, etc...they were trying to do something like AZ did but it just didn't work out and that's a good tihng.

lollipopcurve
04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Red Sox -- the local 9, plus my older son's team

redsmetz
04-20-2006, 12:12 PM

About 240 miles, give or take a few.

MartyFan
04-20-2006, 12:15 PM
My sister had a house mate that was the sister of Tony Muser (former Royals Mgr.) when he played for the Brewers when they were in the AL...he used to leave tickets for us at Cleveland games in Municipal Stadium...I think it sat close to 150K and there would be 12 people there so we would run all over the stadium...liked the tickets hate the Tribe...even when I worked at a station that broadcast the tribe games it was hard for me to actually get a promo about their games out of my mouth...they're just ...well, the Tribe.

redsmetz
04-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Tampa Bay Deviled Eggs.

Hands down.

This made me think of a character in the movie my youngest brother co-wrote called Three Barbecues. Their website is being updated, but you can see it sometime at www.threebarbecues.com The character was played by Dylan Speeg of the Cincinnati band Buckra.

redsmetz
04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
I tend towards the Cardinals since my wife is from Jefferson City, MO. She grew up a Cards fan, but is now a Reds fan. One year we went to a Reds/Cardinals game and my oldest daughter, then about 5 years old, said "I hope they both win!". Great fans who put us to shame these days.

Blimpie
04-20-2006, 12:20 PM
The pride of the South Atlantic League....the Lexington Legends

wolfboy
04-20-2006, 12:20 PM
http://www.spimages.com/images/Ny%20Yankees%20Pic%201.jpg

The Reds are my favorite team. I was born here, I've always followed them. The Yankees are right there with them though. I've followed them since I was a kid. Back then, I'd never heard of a big market or a small market. I loved the way Rickey Henderson looked when he was taking his lead from first. I knew that Steinbrenner had some unhealthy negative energy towards "Mr. May". I always wondered how Don Mattingly would stack up against the all-time greats. I hoped Guidry had a couple more years left in the tank. If he did, the Yankees might finish better than 2nd. I don't think there was a Yankees bandwagon between the Bronx Zoo days and the teams of the mid-late 90's, but that's when I became a fan. Those teams didn't do a whole lot, but I just loved the players. I got sucked in, and haven't let go since.

redsmetz
04-20-2006, 12:25 PM
This made me think of a character in the movie my youngest brother co-wrote called Three Barbecues. Their website is being updated, but you can see it sometime at www.threebarbecues.com The character was played by Dylan Speeg of the Cincinnati band Buckra.

Here's a shot found on Yahoo photos

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jametz/album?.dir=/655a

Phhhl
04-20-2006, 12:47 PM
My second favorite team is my Rotisserie team. Otherwise, it's the Reds against the world.

guttle11
04-20-2006, 01:09 PM
The Dayton Dragons.

WMR
04-20-2006, 01:14 PM
2nd favorite - Indians

3rd favorite - Red Sox since WMP got traded there; I hope for good things for Wily Mo.

I can do Cleveland to Cincinnati in 3 1/2 hrs.

MattyHo4Life
04-20-2006, 01:30 PM
My second favorite team is the Reds. ;)

Yachtzee
04-20-2006, 01:31 PM
At this point, Akron Aeros.

In the majors, I used to dig the Tigers when Sparky was the manager. I will follow the Indians passively. I really like how the Indians' FO does things, but I'm a fan of neither Chief Wahoo nor the DH.

When I lived in Chicago, I would wish the Cubs well. It helped that my wife was a Cubs fan (I think she's on the verge of converting though. She's got a real soft spot for Jason LaRue and Austin Kearns). I find it hard to divide my loyalties though.

2001MUgrad
04-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I used to like the O's some because their Rookie league team was in my hometown, but I couldn't tell you the last time I watched them.

A very very very very very distant second fav. team of mine would be the Nationals. I generally watch them when the Reds games go to commerical.

ThatsAStrike
04-20-2006, 01:56 PM
I don't have a second favorite team but like a couple guys above I tend to root for the small market teams. I recently moved to Austin, Texas, and the closest team to me now is the Astros. I don't see myself rooting for them any time soon.

registerthis
04-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Well, living in D.C., I'm a Nationals fan now...Reds and Nationals, what luck, eh?

The good news is that I get to see 2 out of the 3 games here next week--perhaps 3, if I can find a way to sneak off with my firm's behind-the-home-dugout seats. :evil:

deltachi8
04-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Boys and Girls Club of the Northtowns Bluejays

oh, and I like the Marlin

Heath
04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
My second favorite team is the Reds. ;)

On behalf of redszone.com, you have our deepest sympathies :D

elfmanvt07
04-20-2006, 02:38 PM
I've been a Reds fan and only a Reds fan since I was an infant. I don't plan on changing anytime soon. (Or adding for that matter.)

In other news, I hate the Yankees.

KronoRed
04-20-2006, 02:44 PM
San Diego, used to be Florida..but I have no love for San Antonio

HalMorrisRules
04-20-2006, 03:52 PM
I used to have a mild interest in the Red Sox but I have cut all ties with them because their fans are the most obnoxious fans in the world.

Red Leader
04-20-2006, 03:54 PM
I used to have a mild interest in the Red Sox but I have cut all ties with them because their fans are the most obnoxious fans in the world.

The whole campus of THE Ohio State University says :wave:

:laugh: :laugh:

HalMorrisRules
04-20-2006, 04:06 PM
The whole campus of THE Ohio State University says :wave:

:laugh: :laugh:

It isnt obnoxious if you can back it up. :cool:

Stewie
04-20-2006, 04:13 PM
The A's. Sometimes I wish that it was the Phillies that left town.

Puffy
04-20-2006, 04:16 PM
The Yankees - its the New Yorker in me I guess.

Joseph
04-20-2006, 04:24 PM
It isnt obnoxious if you can back it up. :cool:

No, it's still obnoxious. :)

jmcclain19
04-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Due to growing up about 20 minutes from their spring training site, I've always had a massive soft spot for the A's.

OnBaseMachine
04-20-2006, 05:20 PM
I don't have a second favorite team, however, I like to see the Oakland A's do well because of Billy Beane.

Jr's Boy
04-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Texas Rangers,because I grew up near Dallas.

griffeyfreak4
04-20-2006, 06:39 PM
I live in Chicago and I gotta say that I can't stand Cubs fans. I get to see a lot more Sox games than Cincy games, and I used to love the Sox when they had Mike Cameron and Carlos Lee.

But don't worry, the Reds are my team. The ChiSox just give me some good games to watch when I'm not following the pbp on these boards.

Mario-Rijo
04-20-2006, 07:14 PM
I have a 2nd favorite color, a 2nd favorite food, a 2nd favorite movie, heck I even have a 2nd favorite brother! But Baseball Team? Look too me that's an oxy-moron, too have a favorite team suggests you like a baseball team enough to follow them, spend money on them and basically invest emotion in them. How could you do that twice, why would you do that dos? Yes even in Spanish it makes no sense.

That's like being a Mormon, and even though in a perfect world we might enjoy having multiple options of our favorite things :devil: , there's a favorite for a reason only 1 truly knows how to make you tick. What makes me tick? The Cincinnati Reds!! There is no second favorite Baseball, Football, CFB, CBB, NBA team if you have a "1st favorite". That's why it's called a Favorite and not a 1st favorite. Now that said if you are not married to a team, you may need to mingle a bit. :thumbup: But once you get that favorite, don't put your blood pressure through the roof. Stick with the one your with.

wolfboy
04-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I have a 2nd favorite color, a 2nd favorite food, a 2nd favorite movie, heck I even have a 2nd favorite brother! But Baseball Team? Look too me that's an oxy-moron, too have a favorite team suggests you like a baseball team enough to follow them, spend money on them and basically invest emotion in them. How could you do that twice, why would you do that dos? Yes even in Spanish it makes no sense.

That's like being a Mormon, and even though in a perfect world we might enjoy having multiple options of our favorite things :devil: , there's a favorite for a reason only 1 truly knows how to make you tick. What makes me tick? The Cincinnati Reds!! There is no second favorite Baseball, Football, CFB, CBB, NBA team if you have a "1st favorite". That's why it's called a Favorite and not a 1st favorite. Now that said if you are not married to a team, you may need to mingle a bit. :thumbup:

So, if you have a degree from two different universities, you have to root for one and not the other? I feel like favorites is a perfectly acceptable word. The Reds won't file for divorce if you're a big fan of two or more teams.

Mario-Rijo
04-20-2006, 08:03 PM
So, if you have a degree from two different universities, you have to root for one and not the other? I feel like favorites is a perfectly acceptable word. The Reds won't file for divorce if you're a big fan of two or more teams.

Ok good point about the universities, I can see it. However you can root for anything you want. You can root for the lesser of two evils but it doesn't make it A 2nd favorite. That's all I'm saying.

I'll give you an example of what I mean. When the Buffalo Bills had their run of going to 4 consecutive SB's in the early nineties it was a magical time for them (w/ the exception of not winning any of them), the Bengals of course were just beginning their spin down the toilet at the time. The Bengals were still my favorite and remained it, although it was tough to watch. I had (and still do) a respect for those Bill's teams and what they were able to accomplish and a great affinity for some of those players. Marv Levy, Kent Hull, Thurman Thomas, Don Beebe, Frank Reich, Darryl Talley and Cornelius "Biscuit" Bennett mostly. During that run I watched them in the playoffs, rooted for them and hoped they would get to that mountain top.

But they never got close to being a favorite, that word to me gets thrown around a bit too often. Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with rooting for anything, heck I've even rooted for "That CFB team up north" before. Of course I had ulterior motives being a Buckeyes fan. I guess I just have a problem with the word Favorite, and not anyone in particular.

Also my 1st post was a bit in jest, but my 2nd post was my favorite!!! :beerme:

reds1869
04-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I guess I just have a problem with the word Favorite, and not anyone in particular.

OK, then, I'll rephrase it as "another team you take more than a passing interest in and do so for an extended period of time." ;)

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-21-2006, 12:05 AM
1. Reds
2. Reds
3. Reds
4. Reds
5. Rockies

Reds1
04-21-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't have one. In all 3 major sports I like one team only, but I will say I tend to follow the teams in the the same division. If I Had to say a team it would probably be the Pirates, but it's not even close. :)

donnelly_31
04-21-2006, 01:11 AM
I am basically an all Reds guy or whoever is playing an NL Central team besides the Reds

westofyou
04-21-2006, 01:25 AM
In all 3 major sports

Psst that's 4... I know you basketball guys like to think no one watches Hockey.

But you're wrong.

BoomerSoonerRed
04-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Definitely the Rangers, but I've been a Rangers fan longer than I've been a Reds fan. I've been a Rangers fan since 1983.

roundboy22
04-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Red Sox

Casey_21
04-21-2006, 09:15 AM
NL woul be Cardinals. (I know you guys will love me for that :rolleyes: )
AL is Boston, hands down.. (Looks like I'm stuck with Wily, no matter what :cry: )

DropDocK
04-21-2006, 09:27 AM
A few other teams I'll check on include the Mariners, A's, Twins, and Orioles but there is none that I could call a second favorite. Sometimes it's just a specific player, like to see what Vlad is up to with the Angels.

Redlegs23
04-21-2006, 10:29 AM
I went on vacation in Florida and made it to a Tampa Bay game. Since then I've always pulled for them a little since I always find myself cheering for the underdog, or maybe I pull for them out of pity. Regardless, I'd like to see them turn it around.

DeadRedinCT
04-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Growing up in Alaska, I watched and listened to a lot of Mariners baseball. So I check up on them from time to time.

Red Leader
04-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Psst that's 4... I know you basketball guys like to think no one watches Hockey.

But you're wrong.

Yeah, hockey gets such a bad rap, and its a great sport to watch on TV.

If only people would give it a chance.

Those ESPN games, NHL RULES, is what got me really into it. In those games the announcers break things down for the novice fan, explaining rules, some strategy, and highlight certain plays. It's really awesome what they've done. It's a shame if that hasn't drawn more fans to the sport because it was really a great idea, and executed well. Once I figured out what was going on, it was interesting to me. Now that I know the rules and what to look for, I'll never watch anything else when baseball ends (except on Sundays and Monday nights during NFL season).

pedro
04-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Since I lived within 5 miles of their stadium for 10 years it'd have to be the Braves, although, like WOY, I do have a soft spot for the Tigers

reds1869
04-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Unfortunately the new TV deal is terrible. OLN does not cut it--I don't even get it on TW here in Cincy, though oddly enough I did in Columbus. I bought the Center Ice package, hich I would highly recommend to you. Even if you get OLN Center Ice lets you watch all of the Canadian games. And if you have Time Warner Cable, they share slots with Extra Innings...so right now I'm getting "bonus coverage" of every Extra Innings game until the NHL Playoffs are over, because they can't turn those channels off until my C.I. package expires after round 2 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs!

Yeah, hockey gets such a bad rap, and its a great sport to watch on TV.

If only people would give it a chance.

Those ESPN games, NHL RULES, is what got me really into it. In those games the announcers break things down for the novice fan, explaining rules, some strategy, and highlight certain plays. It's really awesome what they've done. It's a shame if that hasn't drawn more fans to the sport because it was really a great idea, and executed well. Once I figured out what was going on, it was interesting to me. Now that I know the rules and what to look for, I'll never watch anything else when baseball ends (except on Sundays and Monday nights during NFL season).

RedlegJake
04-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Since I've lived just north of KC for a long while, I also follow the Royals but not is the same diehard way I do the Reds. The Royals help me keep perspective when I think the Reds are stupidly run I just look at KC - that is the worst run team in baseball. The Rreds have a new owner, new GM, some star power players and lots of hope for a better future. The Royals have an unbelievable inability to judge returns in trading off stars, a worse track record than the Reds developing young pitchers, an owner who cries "small market" constantly as the excuse for failure and a GM in Baird who amazingly keeps his job despite a horrendous record of trades and drafts. It is a shame, too, because at one time KC was a "model" franchise.

GOREDSGO32
04-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Most people, like me, probably don't have one or if do, don't really keep up with them - if not - which team do you root for to do well come playoff time? For me, I usually go for the Twins, who are usually in the thick of things near the end of the year - very low market team that Selig wanted to contract, and always over achieves. I always go for them come playoff time to take away a spot from the evil empire the Yankees, or the BoSox. It's nice to see the little dog be in the fight at the end of the year.

AccordinglyReds
04-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Seattle Mariners

RollyInRaleigh
04-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Baltimore Orioles

vaticanplum
04-15-2007, 05:25 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45182

Ron Madden
04-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I have been pulling for the Boston Red Sox in the AL the past few years.

GOREDSGO32
04-15-2007, 05:34 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45182

You realize that thread is a year old right?

Degenerate39
04-15-2007, 05:45 PM
I guess the Red Sox. I do like that David Ortiz guy

HumnHilghtFreel
04-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Tampa Bay. I've followed their team a lot the last few years, they've got a lot of exciting young talent.

Other than that, I have a lot of individual players on other teams that I like to follow.

fearofpopvol1
04-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Twins (and no correlation to Kriv).

vaticanplum
04-15-2007, 05:47 PM

? Just thought it might be interesting to read since you asked the question. I doubt a lot of the opinions expressed there have changed within the last year. People can add new answers to this one too of course.

MrCinatit
04-15-2007, 06:03 PM
When Pete was with the Phillies, I rooted for them. That did not carry over to Montreal (couldn't get the stations in).

I've liked the Indians for quite a while - since the mid to late '80s, back when they had good young hitting (Jacoby, Carter, Butler, Snyder, Hall and Tabler) followed by not-so-good pitching.

Donder
04-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I've been a D-Rays fan since Piniella was hired there (that love of Piniella has done nothing to offset my hatred of the Cubs, however).

Now that Lou is no longer in Tampa, the Twins are giving them a good run for second place. There just seems to be a whole lot of likable players in Minnesota.

T7-niner
04-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Anyone facing an NL Central team is usually my second favorite....Even if it is just for a couple of hours.

Although, I am a big fan of the way the D-Backs are ran as an organization.

Redlegs
04-15-2007, 06:08 PM
When I was younger, I always made it a point to see the Braves every year at Riverfront.

Nowadays, I cheer for the smaller market teams such as the Pirates, Royals, Twins, A's, Brewers, etc.

Heath
04-15-2007, 06:09 PM

I'm sure she did - it's a very common question around here.

I still say Tampa Bay. I'd cheer for the Angels if they were simply the Los Angeles Angels.

Heath
04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
When I was younger, I always made it a point to see the Braves every year at Riverfront.

Nowadays, I cheer for the smaller market teams such as the Pirates, Royals, Twins, A's, Brewers, etc.

This year I have 4 days off at Fourth of July and my wife is going with her sister on a trip.

I'm seriously thinking of going to Kansas City for a game on July Fourth. I've never been there and I'm stupid enough to catch St. Louis and head to Chicago that weekend for the White Sox on the way home. I think the Tigers and Reds are in town as well.

Time to save up the money.

KronoRed
04-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Still the Marlins, or maybe the Padres.

One in each NL division :D

OldRightHander
04-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't really have a second favorite, but come playoff time I will usually root for the team that has gone the longest since winning a championship, or a team that has never won one. Other than that, I will root for any team playing against another NL Central team, or whoever is playing against the Yankees or the Braves.

Redlegs
04-15-2007, 06:32 PM
This year I have 4 days off at Fourth of July and my wife is going with her sister on a trip.

I'm seriously thinking of going to Kansas City for a game on July Fourth. I've never been there and I'm stupid enough to catch St. Louis and head to Chicago that weekend for the White Sox. I think the Tigers and Reds are in town as well.

Stash your cash and have a blast!

NorrisHopper30
04-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Twins and Brewers
Any small market teams that beat the Yanks, Mets and Sox

CelticFC
04-15-2007, 06:38 PM

I'm seriously thinking of going to Kansas City for a game on July Fourth. I've never been there and I'm stupid enough to catch St. Louis and head to Chicago that weekend for the White Sox on the way home. I think the Tigers and Reds are in town as well.

The K is a great stadium to visit in my opinion, the food's not bad at all, and the stadium is really nice. It's one of the few advantages in living in Kansas...

My 2nd's are the Angels, The Rays, and the Royals.

top6
04-15-2007, 06:44 PM
White Sox, only because I hate the Cubs so much, and when the White Sox win it makes Cubs fans miserable.

Generally, my favorite MLB teams are:

(1) Reds
(2) Team playing Cubs
(3) (tie) Team playing Yankees
(3) (tie) Team playing Red Sox

Slyder
04-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Whoever's playing the Flubs and Cards are my #2 and 3 teams... if they are playing each other then I turn off the tv and hope the umpires throw both teams out.

FlightRick
04-15-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm a Yankee fan. I come by it honestly: my parents are from Connecticut, my first 8-10 ballgames I attended were all Yankee games at Comiskey back when we lived in Chicago and my dad didn't want to miss a chance to see Donnie Baseball in person, and at no point of my childhood were the Yankees any good. I was trained to cheer for them when they were finishing fourth in the AL East every year... no front-runner or bandwagon-jumper am I.

Of course, now that the Yankees are the Evil Empire and now that every city in America is a "local market" for the Yanks, thanks to ESPN's Fine Baseball Coverage, I am vilified by most of my friends.

They live and die with the Reds. And make no mistake, I live and become terminally ill (at some point between July and September) with the Reds, too. It's just that on my deathbed, every year since 1996, I receive a booster shot of Vitamin Yankee, spring to life, and get to enjoy being a baseball fan well into October. And sometimes, into November.

It's pretty sweet. Neener neener neener.

redsgabp
04-15-2007, 08:05 PM

:beerme:
i'm already saving up for my july 4th vacation too. :beerme:

i will be in daytona for the pepsi 400 :beerme: :beerme: :beerme:

i was at the 500 this year in feb. and now i'm going back for the july race!!!!

texasdave
04-15-2007, 08:07 PM
My second favorite team would be any team that is beating the Yankees on that particular day.

Marc D
04-15-2007, 08:37 PM
I can watch almost any baseball game and enjoy it. I only root for the Reds, I have no second favorite team.

I freakin hate the rest of the NL central in the following order (worst to least)

Cubs
Cards
Brewers
Astros
George Grande when we play the Cards
Cubs
Pirates

bucksfan
04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Tigers. And this was established a few yrs before they even sniffed last year's success, by having lived in Toledo area since '89 and watching the Hens play....

MaineRed
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Yankees. I greatly enjoyed watching Paul O'Neil gain rings and respect playing for NY and I grew to appreciate the class players on those championship teams. Wade Boggs, Tino Martinez, Bernie Williams, Jeter, Rivera, Petite, El Duque. Even Strawberry was easy for me to cheer for in pinstripes.

I don't so much as cheer for them and I am more anti Red Sox than pro Yankee but I have been cheering for them in the play-offs the last ten years or so.

RedFanAlways1966
04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
I can watch almost any baseball game and enjoy it. I only root for the Reds, I have no second favorite team.

I'll second that.

CRedsLarkin11
04-15-2007, 09:41 PM
I'll second that.

That pretty much sums me up as well

rotnoid
04-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Texas Rangers for absolutely no reason.

mroby85
04-16-2007, 12:35 AM
i don't have a 2nd favorite team, i see no reason for one, Reds all the way!

camisadelgolf
04-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Kansas City Royals--they need all the support they can get

creek14
04-16-2007, 02:00 AM
Still only the Reds.

Oh I'll watch other games, any other baseball game on TV at any time, but I don't give a rats :mooner: who wins.

fadetoblack2880
04-16-2007, 07:18 AM
Hate all of them except the Reds. I will root for whoever is playing the Cubs though. I truly despise them.

Razor Shines
04-16-2007, 07:41 AM
The evil Yankees. Like Mainered, I've liked them since Paul O'Neil went over there. I love watching A-Rod play, some people don't realize that he's one of the greatest players to ever play the game, it's like watching Griffey when he was younger.

Roy Tucker
04-16-2007, 08:14 AM
My far distant second team is the Red Sox.

I've had 2 long professional stints with companies based out of Boston (DEC, EMC) so I've traveled up there quite a bit. If the Sox were in town, I always tried to get to Fenway to see a game. I've always had a soft spot for watching games there. Great atmosphere and great fans. It always seemed like a game there was an event. Can't say I was ever keen on any particular player, it was more the stadium, the uniform, and the long-suffering fans.

It has changed a bit since 2004 though. The average Sox fan has gotten a bit more impatient (dare I say Yankee-ish) and is making the transition from long-suffering to insufferable.

vaticanplum
04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
My far distant second team is the Red Sox.

I've had 2 long professional stints with companies based out of Boston (DEC, EMC) so I've traveled up there quite a bit. If the Sox were in town, I always tried to get to Fenway to see a game. I've always had a soft spot for watching games there. Great atmosphere and great fans. It always seemed like a game there was an event. Can't say I was ever keen on any particular player, it was more the stadium, the uniform, and the long-suffering fans.

It has changed a bit since 2004 though. The average Sox fan has gotten a bit more impatient (dare I say Yankee-ish) and is making the transition from long-suffering to insufferable.

I have not spent time in Boston, but in my experience the average sox fan has always been insufferable. It's only that the media exposure has flushed them out the last couple of years, and the generic underdog-rooting public no longer had reason to feel for them since they won. I honestly never found long tirades about being the best team that never won any more enjoyable than long tirades about how they did win.

Admittedly my own fandom influences the conversation, though.

Dunner44
04-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Whoever's beating the Cubs on a given day is okay by me. Any team beating the Cards or Stros I'll cheer for as well. I liked the Nats until Leatherpants ruined them. They were a nice story for a year before Bowden got to run them to the ground. What he did to Frank Robinson was sad, but Acta will be a good manager.

I liked the Marlins as well, but Jeff Lurie also screwed up in handling his manager. Stupid owners/GMs.