PDA

View Full Version : Building a Rivalry?

Joseph
04-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Don't know how many of you listen to Cincinnati radio, [of the sports variety] but all day long they've been playing sound clips from various Reds players about their disdain for Milwaukee. Dunn has a clip talking about how dark and dingy Miller Park is to play in and how he 'hates it.' Freel has been on making comments about the sausage races and it was even intimated that he didn't blame Randall Simon for hitting the thing with his bat.

Are they [the Reds and or the radio] trying to create a rivalry with the Brew Crew? I always thought, since we have 6 teams in this division and the Cards and Cubs were already joined at the hip, that we should go after a rivalry with the Astros, but maybe the team is working on one with the Brewers instead.

Or maybe it's nothing at all.

redsfan30
04-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Rivalries aren't fabricated....they just happen.

RedsManRick
04-20-2006, 04:41 PM
For the most part, rivalries are born out of signifance. Without significant stakes, there's no reason for the rivalry to take hold.

westofyou
04-20-2006, 04:42 PM
That time the Brewers stole our Lemon Tree pissed me off.

Matt700wlw
04-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Rivalries aren't fabricated....they just happen.

Bengals vs Steelers comes to mind....although it's always been a rival...it took on whole new life one sunny day in January...

redsfan30
04-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Bengals vs Steelers comes to mind....although it's always been a rival...it took on whole new life one sunny day in January...
I love the radio station billboard on south 75 close to town that has a picture of Carson's jersey and underneath it says "mojo" and right next to it is a Von Oelhoffen jersey that says "no mojo".

:evil:

traderumor
04-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Dunn has a clip talking about how dark and dingy Miller Park is to play in and how he 'hates it.'I agree, its a hideous thing. On the outside, it looks like a giant Conquistidor helmet. On the inside, it looks the Army Corps of Engineers was in charge of the color scheme. Then there's the echo because of the empty seats, ala Olympic Stadium in the days of the mighty Expos.

reds44
04-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I agree, its a hideous thing. On the outside, it looks like a giant Conquistidor helmet. On the inside, it looks the Army Corps of Engineers was in charge of the color scheme. Then there's the echo because of the empty seats, ala Olympic Stadium in the days of the mighty Expos.
I respectfully disagree. I love Miller Park.

redsfan30
04-20-2006, 04:55 PM
On the outside, it looks like a giant Conquistidor helmet.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Redsfaithful
04-20-2006, 05:14 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They're getting rich off of our lemons!

Johnny Footstool
04-20-2006, 05:30 PM
There is absolutely no reason the Reds and Pirates shouldn't be rivals. They have quite a history (1970, 1972, 1975, 1979, and 1990 NL championship series), are similar in market size, and (unfortunately) have been performing at nearly the same poor level for the past few years.

The fact that neither team really cares that much about the other illustrates the point that rivalries aren't fabricated, they just happen.

RBA
04-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Rivary with the Brewers? That's like hanging out with the nerds. We need to be a rivary with the cool teams.

Johnny Footstool
04-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Rivary with the Brewers? That's like hanging out with the nerds. We need to be a rivary with the cool teams.

Err...ahem...not to burst your bubble or anything, RBA, but the Reds and Brewers are sitting at the same table in the lunchroom. The Pirates are here, too, reading a "Dragonlance" novel. To paraphrase WOY's classic bit of wisdom, we need to stop staring at the cool kids' table and thinking we belong there.

Caseyfan21
04-20-2006, 05:49 PM
We can't have rivalries with the cool teams. A rivalry has to be a series where both teams beat each other. We haven't beaten much of anyone in the last 7 or so years. :laugh:

And remember, Milwaukee ruined our season in 1999 by beating us there at the end. The rivalry is on!

OnBaseMachine
04-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Don't know how many of you listen to Cincinnati radio, [of the sports variety] but all day long they've been playing sound clips from various Reds players about their disdain for Milwaukee. Dunn has a clip talking about how dark and dingy Miller Park is to play in and how he 'hates it.' Freel has been on making comments about the sausage races and it was even intimated that he didn't blame Randall Simon for hitting the thing with his bat.

Expect to see plenty of Dunn and Reds bashing this weekend. The Reds typically struggle in Milwaukee and strikeone a lot because it's so dark in that place. I've heard many players complain about how hard it is to pick up the ball in Miller Park. Marty will have a field day with Dunn this weekend.

guttle11
04-20-2006, 06:28 PM

Those turnips days were dark indeed.

creek14
04-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Expect to see plenty of Dunn ... bashing this weekend.
Wow, that would be something new!

Chip R
04-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Expect to see plenty of Dunn and Reds bashing this weekend. The Reds typically struggle in Milwaukee and strikeone a lot because it's so dark in that place. I've heard many players complain about how hard it is to pick up the ball in Miller Park. Marty will have a field day with Dunn this weekend.

Perhaps but Marty may be so looking forward to the next stop on the road trip that he will be too giddy to bash anyone.

indyred
04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
I agree, its a hideous thing. On the outside, it looks like a giant Conquistidor helmet. On the inside, it looks the Army Corps of Engineers was in charge of the color scheme. Then there's the echo because of the empty seats, ala Olympic Stadium in the days of the mighty Expos.

I'd heard bad things about Miller Park before I went there 2 years ago......I loved the place.......I like the green seats and blue fences......I love the brick exterior and statues of Aaron and Yount and the kids park outside.....The outfield area is neat........with Bernie Brewer's little perch and slide....the mountain dew deck.......they need to figure out how to bring the mug back for bernie's slide .......the game I went to the roof was open........and light was fine......maybe when it's shut it's not as good........It seems like you either love the park or hate it........I've seen listed in the top 5 of some and then middle to lower third in other rankings.......

KronoRed
04-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Our pocket protectors are better