PDA

View Full Version : Official: Brandon Phillips Fan Club Thread!!

GridironGrace
04-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Figured I'd start it off :) If thats ok?

The dude is GOING OFF. Could be a breakout year for him if given the proper oppurtunity.

I say we start this kid as close to everyday as possible. Atleast until he slows down, I mean as of right now he's ON FIRE!!

SIX RBI's 2nite in game 1 vs the Brewers. SIX. Needless to say he's a major factor so far in the game and is gonna get another AB next inning :)

Narron, if you see this(fat chance) Lets dump Womack, Lets put Aurilia into that Utily Role and see him RARE. Finally we have a 2B worth pouring into the lineup EVERYDAY!!!

I just fear with JR back off the DL, we'd have to sit phillips to start Freel :( .

And I so hope we dont trade this kid, unless its for something we absolutly need like someone for the PEN.

Gallen5862
04-20-2006, 11:37 PM
I will join the Brandon Phillips Fan Club. That deal was a steal.

reds44
04-20-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm in. Not to mention he signed for me in Chicago and talked to me. I was the only guy he signed for, probably because I was the only Reds fan and I knew his first name.

Haha

GridironGrace
04-20-2006, 11:41 PM
lol cool stuff on the SIG!!

got a picture of what he signed :) ?

reds44
04-20-2006, 11:44 PM
lol cool stuff on the SIG!!

got a picture of what he signed :) ?
Yeah later.

I got EE, BP, Javy, and a couple more.

Krusty
04-20-2006, 11:45 PM
You have to love Krivsky's moves.....acquiring Arroyo, Phillips and even Hatteberg.

Now if he can unload the rest of O'Brien's mistakes (Williams and Womack).

HotCorner
04-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Sign me up.

Bill
04-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Easy there. I wanted BP more than anyone, being a tribe fan as well and understanding the reason Shapiro let him go was due to Peralta beating him out and the character issues. However, knocking out two in a game, as great as it is, could still signify that he is still swinging for the fences. If that is the case, he will struggle and soon. Of course, I'm estatic he is a Red, I just don't want the bandwagon to get to heavy for Phillips to pull.

cyoung
04-21-2006, 12:29 AM
I am excited, but believe he has had good stretches before..........like right when he came up, hopefully the HR's won't go to his head. I wish he would learn how to take a walk occasionally......his 94Ks vs. 19 walks are not a good sign. However, the kid obviously has talent, hopefully he "figures" it out this year.

toledodan
04-21-2006, 12:46 AM
he didn't look very good in his last AB. while he looks like he can hit for power i hope he doesn't try to do that every AB. he looks like the type of player that could hit you 30 to 40 doubles per season. at the second base position i would be real happy with that. my hope is he continues to hit while griffey is out so it forces freel to keep hitting and making plays as well. the more solid competition we have on this club the better for our future. BP could very well become our future second baseman.

The_jbh
04-21-2006, 01:38 AM
I'm more excited about his defense than anything else. It's nice to see a solid defender out there

TOBTTReds
04-21-2006, 02:49 AM
Calling Falls City...where you at???!!!

Aronchis
04-21-2006, 02:57 AM
I wouldn't get overly excited over Phillips. Just a hot streak. His plate discipline is poor. Watching EE against Phillips is night and day with that ability.

When he cools, he is like WMP, a lifeless mass. Though he can play some D, which makes him a decent bench player.

The Baumer
04-21-2006, 03:09 AM
I assembled an impressive array of statistics proving Phillips' futility at the plate and comparing his lackluster runs created per 9 innings quotient to the league average but a malicious hacker crashed my hard drive and erased my clipboard. So instead here is a picture of Phillips hitting his grand slam:

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/WIMG10604210259.jpg

BOOYAH, GRANDMA!

KronoRed
04-21-2006, 03:29 AM
You have to love Krivsky's moves.....acquiring Arroyo, Phillips and even Hatteberg.

Well I don't like the Hatte move because I don't think it was necessary, the other 2 are ok so far

zombie-a-go-go
04-21-2006, 06:00 AM
If Freel could pick it at first I'd have nothing to be upset about here.

StRedlegs900
04-21-2006, 06:08 AM
I'm not really worried about him trying to hit for power right now. People are going to hit home runs if they get good swings on the ball. I mean, that's the whole point. Bottom line, he's got 13 RBI in like 5 games. If he can produce like that and play defense on 2B, then I will be thrilled.

Now we just need to figure out 1B...

cumberlandreds
04-21-2006, 06:56 AM
So far, so good. The only thing I would be concerned about is that he hasn't met a pitch he doesn't like to swing at. That is going to cause problems somewhere along the line.

edabbs44
04-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Got to like the move so far and hopefully he will be able to stay productive, though no one expects him to keep up this pace. I never have a problem when you can give playing time to a youngster (Phillips) over a washed-up vet (Womack). Let's hope they come to the same realization when considering what to do with Hammond and White.

Reverend Doo-Rag
04-21-2006, 08:19 AM
How can the trade be a steal if the Reds haven't sent anyone to Cleveland yet? Do they base the PTBNL on the performance of the guy while they are still deciding who to send the other way?

redsmetz
04-21-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm not certain of this, but oftentimes, I think, the players to choose from are already known and for whatever reason, it's just not finalized. One suggestion on this board is that it's a player drafted from last year who is not eligible to be traded until June. It could also be someone diabled and they're waiting to see how they come back. But your thought did occur to me yesterday and I saw the price going up with each additional great performance by BP.

smith288
04-21-2006, 08:29 AM
I assembled an impressive array of statistics proving Phillips' futility at the plate and comparing his lackluster runs created per 9 innings quotient to the league average but a malicious hacker crashed my hard drive and erased my clipboard. So instead here is a picture of Phillips hitting his grand slam:

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/WIMG10604210259.jpg

BOOYAH, GRANDMA!
LOL! Awesome.

membengal
04-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Sometimes a player needs a fresh start. Given the label of "attitude problem" that has been attached, I was rather surprised at his post-game interview last night. He came across pretty darn genuine and seemed like a pretty laid back guy (then again, he HAD just hit two homeruns).

At any rate, I am thrilled the Reds are giving a guy that has the history of being the prospect that Phillips has, a chance. Nothing wrong with that. If you hit, great. If it misses, all you have done is deny Womack at-bats.

I think that defines "win-win".

redsmetz
04-21-2006, 09:13 AM
So I was wondering how this story was playing in Cleveland - from the Indians Fan Forum:

General - Brandon Phillips hits a slam !!!
To: ALL (1 of 8)

Thanks Indians for giving us Brandon Phillips. The kid has been tearing up the National League ever since the Reds got him... Let's see Sean Casey, Danny Graves and now Brandon Phillips. Phillips might be the best of the 3......

Options Reply

To: cincykid337 (2 of 8)

23564.2 in reply to 23564.1

N O O O O B O D Y here cares. Wait untill he starts tell your manager who and when to play, or that he wants to bat 4th of he won't do this or won't do that. Then you will see the real PB. When he starts going bad it will be EVERYBODY elses fault except his. We are faaaaaar better without him.

Options Reply

To: cincykid337 (3 of 8)

23564.3 in reply to 23564.1

Give us Arroyo and you can have Danny Graves back.In fact,give us your batboy ,and you can have Graves back.

Options Reply

To: joey5points (4 of 8)

23564.4 in reply to 23564.3

Golee man,they can have him for free !

Options Reply

To: xwvcoalminer (5 of 8)

23564.5 in reply to 23564.4

How about we even pay for the hair cut.

Options Reply

To: wartwart2 unread (6 of 8)

23564.6 in reply to 23564.2

Since the Reds are so pleased with their new HERO,they should give us Ryan Freel as the player to be named !

Options Reply

To: wartwart2 unread (7 of 8)

23564.7 in reply to 23564.2

why cant you just wish him well?

Maybe he really has turned a corner and our management staff just couldnt stop living in the past. I for one hope he continues to play well and get the stardom we unfortunately hindered.

Options Reply

To: joey5points unread (8 of 8)

23564.8 in reply to 23564.3

We'll take Cocco Crisp... Ooops already sent to Boston....
Jason Michaels??? You can keep him....

minus5
04-21-2006, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=membengal]Sometimes a player needs a fresh start. Given the label of "attitude problem" that has been attached, I was rather surprised at his post-game interview last night. He came across pretty darn genuine and seemed like a pretty laid back guy (then again, he HAD just hit two homeruns).QUOTE]

I enjoyed the interview with him the other night after the Marlins game...seemed like a pretty cool kid, very likeable. I was downstairs watching by myself in my bar and found myself with a big goofy smile watching him. So far I'm thrilled to have this kid on our side. :thumbup:

GAC
04-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Living here in central Ohio on the Mason-Dixon line of Reds-Indians country, I had quite a few Indian fans who let me know they were extremely upset over letting Phillips go. They are really upset over the Indian's quick trigger just because they have Belliard at 2B. In their opinion - the Reds got one heck of a deal and a solid 2Bman for the future. He has good defense, speed, and some pop in his bat.

Think of the upside/potential with this young INF right now... EE (3B), Lopez (SS), Phillips (2B). There is gonna be some growing pains folks, but I like what could be when I think about it.

IMO - the question mark/controversy at 2B should be over until Phillips shows otherwise. I hope it makes Womack sooooo mad that he demands a trade. ;)

registerthis
04-21-2006, 09:51 AM
I've been impressed with Phillips so far...solid D and, so far, a solid bat as well.

However, I would be very fearful of Phillips acquiring Pokey Reese syndrome: hit a ball over the fence every now and then, fancy yourself a power hitter, and watch the offensive production go down the drain. Phillips' K/BB ratio is worrying. I don't expect him to be a power hitter--10-15 HRs a year from him would be more than sufficient. If he can provide solid defense at 2nd and get on base with relative frequency, I'll be extremely happy.

Tommyjohn25
04-21-2006, 10:05 AM
I just traded for him in my fantasy league. Just to let you know, his price was the same as Jeffrey Hammonds! :laugh:

kbrake
04-21-2006, 10:05 AM
What do people actually expect out of Votto? Is it realistic to think that Edwin, Phillips, and Votto could be in this infield for many years to come. You could also count Lopez in there, but I really think he will be traded either this offseason or at the break next season. Not by choice, but I think he and Boras will force it.

RedsManRick
04-21-2006, 10:11 AM
What about the PTBNL? Does Cleveland already have a list to choose from? Otherwise I imagine they are going to be increasingly demanding about their return....

toledodan
04-21-2006, 12:49 PM
What about the PTBNL? Does Cleveland already have a list to choose from? Otherwise I imagine they are going to be increasingly demanding about their return....

yes i believe they already have a list.

Chip R
04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
If there needs to be a president for this fan club, there is one guy, and only one guy who should be president of the Brandon Phillips fan club.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002QTHNI.01-A2KHD6ASAECUSB.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

GridironGrace
04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
I dont expect it to be much.

Possibly like said above, a player we drafted last year?

He was going out of Cleve. Regardless so they delt him while they still could... so i dont feel it was MUCH they'll get in return. Possibly Womack? Who knows. Guess we'll find out soon.

DeadRedinCT
04-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Since I'm still living in caveman times and only have dial-up at home, I'm only able to listen to the Reds games, unless they happen to be on ESPN or play the Mets, Yanks, or Red Sox. So... I noticed that Phillips has yet to walk this season (after only 30 or so plate appearances).

Now is that because he's a free-swinger with no strike zone judgment or have pitchers he's faced given him good pitches to hit? Or both? Or neither?

Just wondering what people have noticed when watching him on t.v. or in person.

klw
04-21-2006, 01:47 PM
I just picture Wilford Brimley (Narron) sitting down Bump Bailey (Womack) and saying "Now Bump I'm gonna give you one last chance. I think Hobbs can fill your position quite nicely but I'm going to give you a chance to shape up."

http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/photosearch/Previews/CIN01022_410.jpg

GAC
04-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Phillips' K/BB ratio is worrying.

While that may be worrisome... remember - this also is a youngster.

wheels
04-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Whatever he gives them with the bat is a bonus.

They desperately need his glove.

Junior's gonna be back soon, and someone's gonna have to sit.....

Who would you rather have manning 2B?

Freel or Phillips?

My vote's for Freel.

GAC
04-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Whatever he gives them with the bat is a bonus.

They desperately need his glove.

Who would you rather have manning 2B?

Freel or Phillips?

My vote's for Freel.

Phillips. His "D" will prove far superior to Freel's at 2B.

membengal
04-21-2006, 10:28 PM
That was a sweet heads up baserunning play to give the Reds the lead tonight, not to mention the nice double to start that inning off of Sheets. A whole lot to like here...

SeeinRed
04-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Phillips. His "D" will prove far superior to Freel's at 2B.

I dont see how it couldn't be Phillips. He is hitting well, and as GAC said, his defense is far better. I really think that Freel's PT is going to be severly decreased. He is back in his utility man role. On the bright side, Jerry Narron doesn't have to use the "Freel is more valuable as a utility man" man excuse for not giving him the 2B job. Phillips has really won that position over IMO. Even if you want to say that Freel can be a "spark plug," I think Phillips is proving he can make things happen too. That can only make me wonder how much longer Freel will be in a Reds Uniform.

captainmorgan07
04-21-2006, 11:05 PM
sign me up

TOBTTReds
04-22-2006, 12:30 AM

Hatteberg....Dunn or Griffey to 1st. Freel in CF, BP at 2nd. This is the first time in a few years where it absolutely seems necessary to have one of those two go to first base. DO IT! Aurilia can play 2nd if Freel needs a day off or two.

buckeyenut
04-22-2006, 07:39 AM
I am excited, but believe he has had good stretches before..........like right when he came up, hopefully the HR's won't go to his head. I wish he would learn how to take a walk occasionally......his 94Ks vs. 19 walks are not a good sign. However, the kid obviously has talent, hopefully he "figures" it out this year.

The thing is, he has never had a good stretch like this in the majors.

I firmly believe that a) he is strictly on a hot streak b) he will likely finish the year around .250 BA 10 HR, .725 OPS if he plays fulltime and c) that I hope he can follow a Felipe Lopez career path and explode on the scene for real next year.