PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Trade Offers?

medford
04-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Got offered these 2 trades, and I was courious if they were as ridiculous as they appeared to me. Certainly I'm not the most savy fantasy player, but I don't like them. I thought it could be fun to have a thread where people could post any other ridiculous trades they were offered, or perhaps one that they offered that was acctually accepted.

Anywheres here are the 2 that I got yesterday:

J. Papelbon for Bartolo Colon. Now if this was the Colon of several years ago, I might make this trade to cash in on Papelbon since I also have Lidge, Turnbow & Reitsma. However w/ Colon off to a horrid start, and just getting placed on the DL for right shoulder inflimation, something tells me this guy was hoping to slide this one thru. Thanks but no thanks...

R Freel, B Crosby, & F Garcia for A Dunn & B Penny First, I originally drafted Crosby in an autodraft, but dumped him before the season started. My team name is crazy redlegs, which probably indicates that I'm a reds fan, and realize that Freel won't play every day (at least not under Narron and w/ the possible emergance of B Phillips). Finally, while my starting pitching is struggling to the start of the year, I should be fine w/ J Santana, B Myers, C Zambrano, R Holliday & CC Sabathia before the year is over. Penny's injury concerns/history are not really a worry, he plays in a pitchers park, and frankly I think at this point in his career, he might just be a better pitcher than Garcia.

All that, plus the guy wants me to give up Dunn. Mmm.... don't think so. The guy did indicate in his message that he's flexible, so I'll probably offer back an equally ridiculous trade (at least in my mind) something like Francouer & Reitsma for Man Ram & D Haren.

E. Davis 44
04-21-2006, 12:26 PM
I got offered one today...

I was to get:
Mike Sweeney
Langerhans
and Keith Foulke

for Adam Dunn
and Papelbon

now talk about ridiculous!

RedsManRick
04-21-2006, 12:31 PM
As far as ridiculous fantasy trades go, these aren't even close. Yes, he lowballed you in both cases -- but they aren't horrible.

Papelbon has been great but he will have a down turn at some point and he's still considered the temporary closer. I think he's valuable, but there is at least some risk. Colon meanwhile, is coming of a 21 win season with a 3.48 ERA. Obviously he's injured right now and probably won't match those totals. However, this is a classic buy low/sell high opportunity.

In the second deal, I'd call Garcia and Penny a virtual wash which leaves Freel and Crosby for Dunn. Would I do that deal on the face of it? Probably not. However, if you have extra power and need speed, that's not a horrible deal. If Freel gets 500 ABs this year, he could very well duplicate what Chone Figgins did last year. Figgins went higher than Dunn in every one of my drafts. Plus you'd get Crosby who has 25 HR & 80 RBI potential at SS.

No deal in which an argument can be made for either side should be considered ridiculous. Should you do those trades? Maybe not. But if you think that's ridiculous start to a trade negotiation, the only ridiculous thing is your expectation.

IowaRed
in one of my leagues, this trade went through today. Manny Ramirez for Tim Wakefield straight up.

Red Leader
A trade in our league that was accepted:

3B Hank Blalock and SP Mark Mulder for OF Manny Ramirez.

I was pretty ticked off at first when the trade got accepted. I still think its an uneven trade, but if the manager giving up Manny really wanted to do it, that's his perogative I guess.

I got another offer of Juan Pierre and Tom Glavine for John Patterson.
While not a horrible offer, I'm wasn't interested in the least.

Red Leader
04-21-2006, 12:32 PM
in one of my leagues, this trade went through today. Manny Ramirez for Tim Wakefield straight up.

Ouch. :laugh:

medford
04-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Rick. Dunn is my main power source, I've got FeLo & Rickie Weeks up the middle, which should give me plenty of SB (not on the level of Freel, but enough) plus Aberu (Did I just spell that wrong) and Tori Hunter in the outfield, which each should give me some stolen bases.

I won't lead the league in steals, but I should hold my own. Closing for Boston gives Paplebon huge upside. I'd trade him for the right player, but I think I could/should get much more out him than I guy off to a bad start that just went on the DL for an inflammed shoulder. Its not like Colon is the most health conscious pitcher out there, something just smells of Labrum surgery. Way too much risk right now to give up Paplebon.

medford
04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
That Man Ram for Wakefield trade...got to agree w/ Reds Leader, WOW!

Johnny Footstool
04-21-2006, 12:53 PM
I offered Jason Schmidt for Felipe Lopez and got turned down (understandibly). I usually make offers like that just to get negotiations started. Unfortunately, the guy countered with Brad Lidge for Lopez, which IMO is just as slanted as Schmidt/Lopez, but in the other direction.

A friend of mine offered me Mark Ellis and Shea Hillenbrand for Rich Harden. Then he cancelled the deal and called to apologize. :laugh:

IowaRed
04-21-2006, 01:04 PM
That Man Ram for Wakefield trade...got to agree w/ Reds Leader, WOW!

I was the only person who made a post concerning the trade which nobody responded to. The good news is that before it got too far into the season I was able to see what kind of league it is and won't be wasting any more time with it. The guy who traded Manny also dropped Helton last week. That's a solid owner :rolleyes:

Patrick Bateman
04-21-2006, 01:13 PM
There was one guy that I was trying to deal Tejada for an ace pitcher. Someone like Halladay. I picked up Rollins on the waiver wire for nothing making Tejada expendable.

He countered with Bobby Crosby (his starter) for Tejada.

I told him off saying the deal was hugely lopsided and wasn't even close, and if he cared to look at my team he would notice I didn't need another SS.

He offered the same trade again because he thought I was being unreasonable, and said if I didn't accept we wouldn't ever make a trade. So, gladly I rejected and gave him some choice words.

Stewie
04-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I got offered Cliff Floyd and Mariano Rivera for Albert Pujols earlier this week. Surprisingly, I decided to decline it.

Buckeye33
04-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Pre Derrek Lee injury:

At the time I was trying to move Adam Dunn and had offered him an ok trade but one I fully expeted to get turned down. Dunn and a decent SP for Manny. I was trying to buy low on Manny since he was hitting .200 0 HRs.

He countered with this beauty:

Manny and Nick Swisher

for

Derrek Lee and Travis Hafner

I almost spit out the pop I was drinking all over my computer.

RedsManRick
04-21-2006, 05:13 PM
I wasn't saying you should do the deal Medford, but you cannot not expect anybody to offer you an initial deal which is completely even or tilted to you. They would be stupid to do so.

View offers as the initial statement of interest and there's room to negotiate. They've stated that they are interested in Papelbon, Dunn, & Penny. Now look at what you'd need and what they have to give, and offer something that makes sense.

Very rarely will a trade be served up for you on a silver platter. If the guy wanted Papelbon and was offering Esteban Loaiza, sure, that's ridiculous. But a "temporary" rookie closer for last year's Cy Young winner, all considerations for performance and injury to date, can hardly be looked at as ridiculous. If a month from now Papelbon is back to middle relief and Colon is healthy, you'd be the one getting a steal. Neither of those are unrealistic possibilities.

xerplastic
04-21-2006, 05:29 PM
I just lost Derek Lee and my friend offered me Chris Shelton, Randy Winn, Geoff Jenkins, and Josh Willingham for Victor Martinez, Jason Bay, and Pat Burrell. This seemed completely lopsided to me but since I don't have a first baseman I'm thinking about pursuing it a little. Is this even a decent starting point for negotiations?

Buckeye33
04-21-2006, 05:30 PM
But a "temporary" rookie closer for last year's Cy Young winner, all considerations for performance and injury to date, can hardly be looked at as ridiculous. If a month from now Papelbon is back to middle relief and Colon is healthy, you'd be the one getting a steal. Neither of those are unrealistic possibilities.

The only way Keith Foulke has any shot at getting his closers spot back in Boston is if Papelbon morphs into a closers version of Dave Williams.

Papelbon is now the Red Sox closer at least until next season unless the morph occurs.

Buckeye33
04-21-2006, 05:38 PM
I just lost Derek Lee and my friend offered me Chris Shelton, Randy Winn, Geoff Jenkins, and Josh Willingham for Victor Martinez, Jason Bay, and Pat Burrell. This seemed completely lopsided to me but since I don't have a first baseman I'm thinking about pursuing it a little. Is this even a decent starting point for negotiations?

It is completely lopsided. This "friend" is simply trying to strike a deal in the wake of the Lee injury hoping you panic.

Shelton has had an April for the ages, but to expect him to continue is not realistic. He may end up hitting 30 HRs, but he is not going to hit 40-45.

Lets look at it like this:

Victor Martinez = Best fantasy catcher in baseball

Jason Bay = 1st round fantasy OFer.

Pat Burrell = Solid OFer with 35+ HR potential

Shelton = Very good potential, best April in years

Winn = 4th OFer on a good fantasy team

Jenkins = Again, a decent 3rd/4th OFer

Willingham = Good potential, but has proved nothing.

Don't panic because Lee got hurt. Sure, look and see if you can get Shelton, Craig Wilson, or somebody who rides the pine on another team, but do not do it at the expense of your teams best players.

Red Leader
04-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Don't panic because Lee got hurt. Sure, look and see if you can get Shelton, Craig Wilson, or somebody who rides the pine on another team, but do not do it at the expense of your teams best players.

I agree with Buckeye33, completely. One player you might want to target is Brad Wilkerson, who has 1B eligibility. He's starting to come out of his funk, and when he does, he'll be a good fantasy producer in R, HR, RBI (if he's still hitting lower in the order and not lead off), BB, OBP, SLG, OPS. His BA will always be in the .260 range, but he's always near a .400 OBP. You might be able to get him for nothing right now. I didn't have the patience to wait out his slow start and I already traded him.

savafan
04-21-2006, 06:08 PM
I was just offered Griffey for Josh Beckett. Said no.

One I'm struggling with is an offer of Chris Shelton and Ivan Rodriguez for Craig Wilson and Victor Martinez

Red Leader
04-21-2006, 06:24 PM
One I'm struggling with is an offer of Chris Shelton and Ivan Rodriguez for Craig Wilson and Victor Martinez

Martinez is light years better than Pudge, especially if your league counts BB, OBP, and OPS.

I'd stick with what you have anyway and hope Wilson gets ample playing time when Casey comes back, or gets traded.

Buckeye33
04-21-2006, 06:48 PM
I was just offered Griffey for Josh Beckett. Said no.

This seems to be the biggest theme going in fantasy baseball. Chris Shelton owners trying to sell high and then other owners trying to decide if he's going to actually continue to be this good.

If you project his numbers last season over 500 ABs it would have been like this:

.299/.360/.510/.870 28 2Bs 4 3Bs 23 HRs 76 RBIs 79 R 112/43 K/W

Those numbers put him on par with Lyle Overbays season last year with slightly better power. So I guess people have to decide if he's going to be a 25 HR/35 2B/90 RBI guy or is he going to be a 35HR/40 2B/110 RBI guy?

I believe that Craig Wilson will have a year similar to Shelton this season if he gets to play regularly when Casey comes back. He'll have as many RBIs and HRs as Shelton with a worse BA. And of course Victor will crush Ivan in pretty much every stat this season.

Stay with Martinez/Wilson for sure.

savafan
04-21-2006, 06:54 PM
I believe that Craig Wilson will have a year similar to Shelton this season if he gets to play regularly when Casey comes back. He'll have as many RBIs and HRs as Shelton with a worse BA.
Are the Pirates smart enough to allow that to happen?

Red Leader
04-21-2006, 06:56 PM
This seems to be the biggest theme going in fantasy baseball. Chris Shelton owners trying to sell high and then other owners trying to decide if he's going to actually continue to be this good.

If you project his numbers last season over 500 ABs it would have been like this:

.299/.360/.510/.870 28 2Bs 4 3Bs 23 HRs 76 RBIs 79 R 112/43 K/W

Those numbers put him on par with Lyle Overbays season last year with slightly better power. So I guess people have to decide if he's going to be a 25 HR/35 2B/90 RBI guy or is he going to be a 35HR/40 2B/110 RBI guy?

I think the .299/.360/.510/.870 line is pretty accurate for what I expect from Shelton this year, maybe a little higher SLG% and thus a little higher OPS.

I could see him getting to 35 doubles, 30-32 HR and close to 100 RBI. Basically somewhere in between the two you gave above.

Buckeye33
04-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Totally off topic really, but I'll ask since this thread is pretty active currently.

Jason Varitek was just dropped in one of my leagues. In this league I have Mauer, who is off to a slow start very much like Varitek.

Should I pick Varitek up and hope he rebounds? I would have to drop JD Drew or Jeremy Bonderman to get Varitek.

savafan
04-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Totally off topic really, but I'll ask since this thread is pretty active currently.

Jason Varitek was just dropped in one of my leagues. In this league I have Mauer, who is off to a slow start very much like Varitek.

Should I pick Varitek up and hope he rebounds? I would have to drop JD Drew or Jeremy Bonderman to get Varitek.

I think Bonderman may be hurt, he hasn't looked good lately at all.

Yachtzee
04-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Just today, the same guy has offered me:

Geoff Jenkins and Tom Gordon for Johnny Damon
Geoff Jenkins and Trevor Hoffman for Michael Young
Pat Burrell and Tom Gordon for Michael Young
Geoff Jenkins for Johnny Damon straight up.

IowaRed
04-22-2006, 11:10 PM
received a Shelton for my Johan Santana today

Johnny Footstool
04-23-2006, 01:43 PM
This one seems ridiculous, but for different reasons...

I offered Jim Thome to the owner who has Derrick Lee (out for 6-8 weeks). He's got Manny Ramirez and Carlos Lee in his outfield and *Gary Sheffield* on the bench.

I asked for Manny in exchange for Thome, and he responded that he didn't need a 1B - he's got Xavier Nady to play there.

Meanwhile, Sheffield continues to rot on his bench.

Red Leader
04-24-2006, 03:50 PM
I just picked up Brandon Phillips in my league. I got an offer of Nomar Garciaparra for Phillips about 3 minutes after I picked him up. While not a rediculous trade offer by any means, I thought it was funny. I literally was still on my team page to make sure he was on my team when I got the email of the trade offer. :lol:

Still not sure if I should do it or not.

Johnny Footstool
04-24-2006, 04:02 PM
I just picked up Brandon Phillips in my league. I got an offer of Nomar Garciaparra for Phillips about 3 minutes after I picked him up. While not a rediculous trade offer by any means, I thought it was funny. I literally was still on my team page to make sure he was on my team when I got the email of the trade offer. :lol:

Nomar has SS and 3B eligibility. I'd make that trade in an instant.

Red Leader
04-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Nomar has SS and 3B eligibility. I'd make that trade in an instant.

That's what I was thinking about. The position flexibility would be nice. He also (after 4 more starts) will have 1B eligibility. On the other hand, Phillips only needs 9 more games at SS to qualify in Yahoo leagues, having already moved over to SS in one game.

I know Phillips isn't going to keep up his current pace, but I wonder how long Garciaparra will stay healthy. If he could stay healthy the whole season, it's a no-brainer. I just question whether he can even go a month without injuring himself. Garciaparra is sitting in a nice spot behind Jeff Kent and J.D. Drew, though. He should have plenty of RBI opps if he stays healthy.

Buckeye33
04-24-2006, 04:24 PM

You should do this trade for sure. Even if Phillips keeps playing well, he's not going to hit .360 and average an RBI/game. If he plays very well the rest of the year you could expect .270/12/65 most likely.

Nomar is injury prone, but to get him for someone you got for nothing and his position flexibilty gives you good depth you must make this trade.

Yachtzee
04-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Just today, the same guy has offered me:

Geoff Jenkins and Tom Gordon for Johnny Damon
Geoff Jenkins and Trevor Hoffman for Michael Young
Pat Burrell and Tom Gordon for Michael Young
Geoff Jenkins for Johnny Damon straight up.

Just an update. The guy who offered these trades just dropped both Geoff Jenkins and Tom Gordon, then griped about no one accepting his trades.

griffeyfreak4
04-30-2006, 10:46 PM
I just got an offer:

Getting: SS J. Reyes and 1B/2B T. Walker

Giving: 1B J. Thome

This, at first, looked ridiculous. I really like Olando Cabrera at SS already, and Reyes would sit on my bench. So it's pretty much a Walker for Thome straight up.

But, then I thought about it, and Reyes would provide more SB than Cabrera, and steaming hot Walker could be a good fit at first.

Should I take it?

Patrick Bateman
04-30-2006, 11:05 PM
I just got an offer:

This, at first, looked ridiculous. I really like Olando Cabrera at SS already, and Reyes would sit on my bench. So it's pretty much a Walker for Thome straight up.

But, then I thought about it, and Reyes would provide more SB than Cabrera, and steaming hot Walker could be a good fit at first.

Should I take it?

No way. Thome is just way more valuable. Generally in 2 for 1 trades I think getting the best player determines the winner and Thome is easily the best one.

Johnny Footstool
05-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I just got an offer:

Should I take it?

No.

That's a sucker deal.