PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Freel at 1B???????

red-in-la
04-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Please take note of the question marks in the title.....I am only asking.

When JR comes back, do you play Freel at 1B? Is that an option? He would make a rather small target to throw to, and I have no idea if he knows how to play it.....but he has played 3B and 2B so he can catch a ground ball.

Or, do you tell JR that he has become a statue in CF and ask him to play 1B? I can just hear the response to that one....ouch.....

So what to do with the guy leading the league in steals and with an almost .500 OBP?

Raisor
04-21-2006, 04:53 PM
So what to do with the guy leading the league in steals and with an almost .500 OBP?

He plays everyday at 2B, unless they move Dunn to first.

captainmorgan07
04-21-2006, 04:53 PM
nah we need someone tad bit taller who can have some reach for balls both latterly and vertically yes he can catch a few ground balls but we also need a good reciever over there

OldXOhio
04-21-2006, 04:54 PM
do you play Freel at 1B?

Only if you're willing to fulfill the self-serving needs of our LF and CF.

KronoRed
04-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Dunn to 1st Freel to LF...easier then putting Freel somewhere he's never played before.

flyer85
04-21-2006, 04:57 PM
and to think some people have called Hatty a midget 1b.

TRF
04-21-2006, 05:03 PM

Man that's a tough call as Phillips is playing real well. Dunn to 1B makes the most sense with Freel in CF/LF (CF preferrably) and Phillips at 2b until he proves he can't handle it.

Johnny Footstool
04-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Now I will show you the most excellent way: Dunn to 1B, Jr. to LF, Freel to CF, Phillips stays at 2B.

smith288
04-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Has Griffey made it known he will not play anywhere but CF? Is it essentially telling Griffey "your done" if you ask him to play First?

Raisor
04-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Man that's a tough call as Phillips is playing real well. Dunn to 1B makes the most sense with Freel in CF/LF (CF preferrably) and Phillips at 2b until he proves he can't handle it.

I'd do Dunn to first in a second, but if it didn't happen out of Spring Training, it's not going to happen now.

Phillips has been very good the past week, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather have Freel in there.

KronoRed
04-21-2006, 05:09 PM
JR to 1st would be something to try in the offseason, moving him to LF has a much better chance of happening now.

TRF
04-21-2006, 05:14 PM
I'd do Dunn to first in a second, but if it didn't happen out of Spring Training, it's not going to happen now.

Phillips has been very good the past week, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather have Freel in there.

I'm torn. Love Freels offensive game, but BP's defense is pretty good. WMP to Boston is really the only reason we get the Hatte 5 times a week at 1B. So if push comes to shove, Dunn plays 1B. That improves the defense to the point of respectability.

CaiGuy
04-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Personally, I'd prefer Griffey at first. He has played there a few games in the Majors.

He'd stay a lot heathlier and could be a good defensive 1 baseman to boot. Getting Griffey out of CF would be a huge improvment to the defense.

steig
04-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Why don't we convert JR to second base ;) , we seem to have a shortage at that position.

CaiGuy
04-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Why don't we convert JR to second base ;) , we seem to have a shortage at that position.
Can't turn the Double Play without pulling a hammy or staining something.

pahster
04-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Personally, I'd prefer Griffey at first. He has played there a few games in the Majors.

Not that I don't think he could do it, but he's played all of 2 innings there in his career.

Fullboat
04-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Does Denorfia play CF? I would move Jr to LF, Dunn to first freel and Deno in CF
have Phillips at 2b with Aurillia as back up

puca
04-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Kearns would make the best 1b of the lot. Of course he is probably also our best OF.

CaiGuy
04-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Not that I don't think he could do it, but he's played all of 2 innings there in his career.
that's true, he's played there a lot less then I thought.

I still think that it would be better for his career if he'd consider it.

TOBTTReds
04-21-2006, 05:31 PM
LF - Dunn
CF - Freel
1B - Jr.
2B - BP

CaiGuy
04-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Kearns would make the best 1b of the lot. Of course he is probably also our best OF.
Yeah, he's by far the outfielder on the team.

CaiGuy
04-21-2006, 05:33 PM
LF - Dunn
CF - Freel
1B - Jr.
2B - BP
:thumbup: Exactly

GAC
04-21-2006, 05:33 PM

I've "warmed" to the idea of moving Dunn to 1B solely for two reasons....

#1 - Freel everday in this lineup. Where? OF (his natural position).
#2 - Phillips everyday in this lineup at 2B. He's gonna improve our INF "D", and even with the "growing pains", I look at the potential with EE (3B), Lopez (SS), and Phillips (2B). We gotta give this Phillips kid a shot. Alot of fans are kinda peeved in Cleveland that they let him go.

But Freel at 1B? Does EE and Lopez need a smaller target? Lets cut these kids some slack! :lol:

But Dunn does not want to play 1B.

Blarkin
04-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Reds seem to have a good feeling about Phillips and with his production why not let the kid loose. Edwin has the role at third and lopez short (could be the future infield) Freel, as well as he is doing will have to relieve CF back to Griffey, and freel will go back to the utility role. This is the reds we are talking about, injuries will happen. The other choice is to trade freel maybe for a descent reliever.

registerthis
04-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Does Denorfia play CF? I would move Jr to LF, Dunn to first freel and Deno in CF

...and Freel goes where?

Also, I think Phillips ha smore potential to be a long-term answer at second than does Freel, so I would play him there. There's NO reason, however, that either Junior or Dunn couldn't move to first, other than their own personal dislike of the move.

Johnny Footstool
04-21-2006, 05:52 PM
LF - Dunn
CF - Freel
1B - Jr.
2B - BP

Three things about this arrangement:

1) Junior will provide better defense in LF than Dunn.
2) Dunn will provide better defense at 1B than Junior, who has never played there.
3) Junior and some team physicians believe that the stretching and lunging he would have to do at 1B would actually be harder on Junior's legs than the running he does in the OF.

I have been a proponent of moving Junior to 1B for two or three years now, but it looks like it just won't happen for a while.

Fullboat
04-21-2006, 05:55 PM
...and Freel goes where?

Also, I think Phillips ha smore potential to be a long-term answer at second than does Freel, so I would play him there. There's NO reason, however, that either Junior or Dunn couldn't move to first, other than their own personal dislike of the move.

Freel /Dino at CF

registerthis
04-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Freel /Dino at CF

Whoops, sorry, hadn't seen Freel's name there.

There goes my mistake for the day.

Kc61
04-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I don't think any of this will happen. Freel will not be a regular starter when the team is healthy.

He will play a lot of centerfield and second base, resting Griffey and Phillips. If there is an injury, things will be juggled to get Freel some steady work.

I also don't think Denorfia will be up real soon, unless there are injuries or trades.

Fullboat
04-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't think any of this will happen. Freel will not be a regular starter when the team is healthy.

He will play a lot of centerfield and second base, resting Griffey and Phillips. If there is an injury, things will be juggled to get Freel some steady work.

I also don't think Denorfia will be up real soon, unless there are injuries or trades.

Yeap. Its not MVP Baseball,These guy have egos & agents.

StillFunkyB
04-21-2006, 06:22 PM

Ding, ding, ding, ding! Tell him what's he's won Chuck!

Absolutely. This is what should be done.

I just don't think that Griffey is going to move out of CF.

tbball10
04-21-2006, 06:25 PM
1B- Dunn (worst of ever, big target at first, good move)
2B- Phillips (tearing the cover off the ball)
CF- Freel (need him at the top of the order, fastest of OFs)
LF- Griffey (not as much range anymore, still think he can be a force in the middle of the order)

Freel and Griffey would be switched in real life due to that name on the back of the No. 3 jersey.

KronoRed
04-21-2006, 06:34 PM
With Freel out of the lineup :bang: who leads off?

Phillips? bad idea.

Highlifeman21
04-21-2006, 06:42 PM
He'd stay a lot heathlier and could be a good defensive 1 baseman to boot. Getting Griffey out of CF would be a huge improvment to the defense.

By a few you mean exactly 2. 1 in 1993, 1 in 1998.

If Griffey needs to remain in CF, then so be it. He's earned that right in his career to say where he wants to play. Freel to LF probably is an upgrade over Dunn, and Dunn ironically enough has the best defensive stats of anyone who's played some 1B for the Reds (yes, even better than the pickin machine...). B Phil at 2B should be his to lose now. If he slumps, plug Freel back in there, and then we can use one of our 78574935 scrappy vets off the bench to fill in until B Phil returns.

I'm still more concerned about Lopez at SS. Offensively, he's a young stud. Defensively, he's the WMP of SS.

37red
04-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Ha haaa hhaaaaaa ha ha ha Freel to 1B.... haa haaaaa you have to kidding me, haaaaa hah hhhhaaa

Buckeye33
04-21-2006, 07:00 PM
If Phillips and Griffey are in the lineup and Freel is not, Lopez would have to move to the leadoff spot.

1. Lopez SS
2. Phillips 2B
3. Griffey CF
4. Dunn LF
5. Kearns RF
6. Encarnacion 3B
7. Hatteberg/Aurilia 1B
8. LaRue/Valentin/Ross

Dunn moving to 1B would really solve quite a few issues while only creating the chance Dunn slumps in hte batter box because he's worried about 1B.

1. Freel LF
2. Lopez SS
3. Griffey CF
4. Dunn 1B
5. Kearns RF
6. Encarnacion 3B
7. Phillps 2B
8. LaRue/Valentin/Ross C

Man, that is such a pretty lineup if it could happen on a regular basis.