PDA

View Full Version : Paul Wilson update from Marc

TOBTTReds
04-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Take a look at his GO:FO ratio:

Paul Wilson had a very interesting line in an extended spring training start today: 94 pitches, seven innings, 11 hits, two runs, one earned, one walk, three strikeouts. Of the 21 outs he recorded, 18 were groundballs and three were strikeouts.

traderumor
04-21-2006, 04:38 PM
I bet those were 11 seeing eye singles.

Chip R
04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
He only walked 1!

CTA513
04-21-2006, 04:42 PM

He needs to get those fly ball outs up some so he can fit in with the rest of the staff. ;)

traderumor
04-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Geesh, I was just thinking about Wilson watching Williams throw that ugly stuff up there last night. So much to look forward to in that 5 slot. Sure does make Narron's job tough. Sort of like choosing between constipation or diarrhea.

GAC
04-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Geesh, I was just thinking about Wilson watching Williams throw that ugly stuff up there last night. So much to look forward to in that 5 slot. Sure does make Narron's job tough. Sort of like choosing between constipation or diarrhea.

But at least with diarrhea you're expelling something. ;)

traderumor
04-21-2006, 04:57 PM
But at least with diarrhea you're expelling something. ;)...and Hal said Williams was evacuating, I think we might be on to something. Do we have any pitchers with the nickname "Diarrhea?" Is that one taken yet? Think of the possibilities--Q: Why do you guys call Williams "Diarrhea?" A: "Because the runs just keep on coming."

Big Klu
04-21-2006, 06:12 PM

His GO:FO ratio is infinity!

Gandalf the Red
04-21-2006, 06:28 PM

Impressive, but I'm hearing rumors that the Reds may sign someone with an even better ratio:

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/buzzlightyear/images/home_1c.jpg

Doc. Scott
04-21-2006, 07:10 PM

Actually it would be "undefined", if you're dividing by zero. But close enough.

Watching Wilson rehab reminds me of OJ Simpson talking about "finding the real killers"... you know he's trying, but you also know it ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

redsmetz
04-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Watching Wilson rehab reminds me of OJ Simpson talking about "finding the real killers"... you know he's trying, but you also know it ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Why are folks on this board so pessimistic so often? Can there never be any reason to hope? I'd love for Paul Wilson to make a genuine comeback. I'm hoping that Eric Milton's last outing was an aberration for this year. Of course, I do concur that Dave Williams is hopeless.

I fully understand the talk of past history and players playing to their average etc. etc. etc., but is there never an instance of a player playing beyond their norm, of rising to the occasion and performing better than before? I'd like to hope we haven't reached a day when we're completely defined by our numbers and someone can't become a better player.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

CrackerJack
04-21-2006, 07:33 PM
I am optimistic that Paul Wilson can be better than Dave Williams!

redsmetz
04-21-2006, 07:37 PM
I am optimistic that Paul Wilson can be better than Dave Williams!

LOL, I'm optimistic my 78 year old mother can be better than Dave Williams.

Big Klu
04-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Actually it would be "undefined", if you're dividing by zero. But close enough.

Yes, I know. But infinity sounds better!

4256 Hits
04-22-2006, 03:04 PM
So he gave up 11 hits to mostly guys that are getting ready to repeat rookie ball. He is toast!

marcshoe
04-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm not enthusiastic about seeing Wilson back in the rotation. I'd rather see Belisle get a shot.

Marc D
04-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Why are folks on this board so pessimistic so often? Can there never be any reason to hope? I'd love for Paul Wilson to make a genuine comeback. I'm hoping that Eric Milton's last outing was an aberration for this year. Of course, I do concur that Dave Williams is hopeless.

I fully understand the talk of past history and players playing to their average etc. etc. etc., but is there never an instance of a player playing beyond their norm, of rising to the occasion and performing better than before? I'd like to hope we haven't reached a day when we're completely defined by our numbers and someone can't become a better player.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Realists are just optimists who have been around for a while. ;)

BoCcc2832
04-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Even though Wilson did not give up many runs, he still gave up 11 hits. If you think about that, that's a lot. I can't wait for Wilson to come up so he can replace Williams and I'm hoping to see him pitch in Dayton this Wednesday. However, by pitching in extended spring training and giving up 11 hits, that scares me because E.S.T. isn't anywhere close to the Majors. My hope is that Wilson can keep his hits down, but reduce them below 11. If not, I'm not confident on him getting the job when he finally gets back up here.

KittyDuran
04-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Even though Wilson did not give up many runs, he still gave up 11 hits. If you think about that, that's a lot. I can't wait for Wilson to come up so he can replace Williams and I'm hoping to see him pitch in Dayton this Wednesday. However, by pitching in extended spring training and giving up 11 hits, that scares me because E.S.T. isn't anywhere close to the Majors. My hope is that Wilson can keep his hits down, but reduce them below 11. If not, I'm not confident on him getting the job when he finally gets back up here.I might get up to Dayton to see him as well on Wednesday...

OnBaseMachine
04-24-2006, 06:04 PM
I might get up to Dayton to see him as well on Wednesday...

Paul's start has been pushed back to Thursday per Marc.

KittyDuran
04-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Paul's start has been pushed back to Thursday per Marc.Just saw that :angry:. I already went and got a ticket...