PDA

View Full Version : Question about Case Western

Outshined_One
04-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Quick question for those of you on this board. Did anyone here graduate from Case Western in Cleveland or know anyone who went there? I recently got into their law school and was wondering if I could talk with anyone who was familiar with the school and the general area.

WMR
04-21-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm a 1L at CWRU.

Outshined_One
04-21-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm a 1L at CWRU.

Expect a PM heading your way in the near future. :D

Thanks!

WMR
04-21-2006, 05:43 PM
happy to answer any question you might have. :)

IslandRed
04-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Isn't Super_Barry11 a softball player at CW, or am I thinking of someone else?

WMR
04-21-2006, 06:25 PM
I believe so, IR. I think she's a Senior.

TeamMorris
04-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Isn't Super_Barry11 a softball player at CW, or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes she is. She would also be a good one to contact. She may be a bit busy right now because I believe she is about to graduate from the Med school program. She is a nice girl and I know she will get back to you as soon as she can!

WMR
04-21-2006, 06:27 PM
TM, she's a senior in undergrad I believe.

Caveat Emperor
04-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Quick question for those of you on this board. Did anyone here graduate from Case Western in Cleveland or know anyone who went there? I recently got into their law school and was wondering if I could talk with anyone who was familiar with the school and the general area.

Hehehe...another poor, poor sap about to fall victim to the life-eating experience that is 1L.

Incidentally, there are now officially enough law students on this board to form a decent sized botique firm.

TeamMorris
04-21-2006, 08:45 PM
TM, she's a senior in undergrad I believe.

Yes. She would be a good contact also. Very involved there.

Yachtzee
04-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Hehehe...another poor, poor sap about to fall victim to the life-eating experience that is 1L.

Incidentally, there are now officially enough law students on this board to form a decent sized botique firm.

Don't forget those that are already licensed to practice law. I think there are enough attorneys and law students on here to form a pretty decent sized firm.

Good Luck, Outshined_one. Case is a really good school. WilyMoRocks and SuperBarry can give you the low-down on the school and the surrounding area. The University Circle area is nice, and Coventry is a cool area to live in.

TeamBoone
04-21-2006, 11:24 PM
An old friend of mine went to med school there after graduating Brown; unfortunately, we have lost touch... but I can probably find him.

Super_Barry11
04-22-2006, 01:50 AM
Wow, a thread about good old Case Western!! :) Yes, I'm in my last semester of undergrad at Case. I have 6 more days of classes, 1 more week of varsity softball, and then 2 finals, so I am pretty busy right now, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have (if I can, I really don't know much about law school). Our first base coach is about to graduate law school here, so I could ask her any questions that I don't know, but I'm sure WilyMoRocks will be a good person to ask about law related topics.

By the way, congrats on getting into law school, Outshined_One!! :)

reds1869
04-22-2006, 06:22 PM
I agree with the person who recommended Coventry as a place to live; it was always a blast to visit my friends there when I lived in Cleveland. I'd also go up the road a little and check out Shaker Square if you want affordable housing with a convenient location to mass transit.

DoogMinAmo
04-22-2006, 07:50 PM
i live in the Cedar Fairmount area, walking distance to Coventry and really close to Case. I highly recommend the area, very safe and very walkable. There is also a Jillians there where I have become friendly enough with the bartenders that they will put Cincinnati sports on... well maybe only on a small TV in the corner, but it is a start.

I had talked about a possible Cleveland Reds gathering, anyone in NE Ohio interested? Should this go in its own thread?

Yachtzee
04-22-2006, 08:07 PM
I might be interested.

wolfboy
04-23-2006, 01:25 AM

Just checking in as another one of those "poor, poor saps" (not at Case though).

westofyou
04-23-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree with the person who recommended Coventry as a place to live;

Mmmmmm... the Rebel Falafal from Tommy's makes my mouth water.

Yachtzee
04-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Ah yes, hitting Record Revolution for some rare import you've been hunting for, picking up a Mr. T poster at Big Fun and lunch at Tommy's is a good way to spend an afternoon.

cincinnati chili
04-23-2006, 01:00 PM

If we form the Redszone "firm," I want the cushy transactional work.

The rest of you can do the litigation.

Oh yeah, and I want to be partner. And I want a corner office.

I've heard great things about Case, but I will interject that if you are an Illinois or Wisconsin resident and can get in-state tuition rates (and an acceptance of course) from their state law schools, you should REALLY consider matriculating there.

If Massachusetts had a public accredited law school, I'd probably have gone (since I didn't have the grades/scores to get into the Harvards of the world).

If money is not an issue for you or your family, disregard this. But I've found that mounting debt really affects the happiness (and options) of young lawyers. They feel compelled to go for the best paying jobs, rather than the ones they enjoy.

Caveat Emperor
04-23-2006, 01:57 PM
If we form the Redszone "firm," I want the cushy transactional work.

The rest of you can do the litigation.

Oh yeah, and I want to be partner. And I want a corner office.

I just want the watermarked paper with my name in the firm's letterhead so that I can send letters to Harvard and Michigan grads that start out with. "Although your academic achievements and work credentials are impressive, we regret to inform you..."

I've heard great things about Case, but I will interject that if you are an Illinois or Wisconsin resident and can get in-state tuition rates (and an acceptance of course) from their state law schools, you should REALLY consider matriculating there.

If Massachusetts had a public accredited law school, I'd probably have gone (since I didn't have the grades/scores to get into the Harvards of the world).

If money is not an issue for you or your family, disregard this. But I've found that mounting debt really affects the happiness (and options) of young lawyers. They feel compelled to go for the best paying jobs, rather than the ones they enjoy.

Double True on this.

I'm on a full ride at the University of Toledo, and I'm still mounting up debt by the truckload just for living expenses (hell, I've spent almost $4,000 this semester alone in bar exam registration fees and bar review course tuition). You really can't work a job as a 1L, so unless you've got a Trust fund that's ready to let you cash in, you'll probably have to take out money in addition to tuition to live. I've got friends who are staring back, now, at debts in the 6 figure range.

The firms that pay top dollar are getting more and more selective about who they take on as associates, with a lot of them locking the positions in with people who summer for them as 1Ls and 2Ls. It puts a lot of pressure on students to try and latch on with jobs like that in order to get a handle on the bills that start coming in after graduation.

Just food for thought.

cincinnati chili
04-23-2006, 02:30 PM
I've got friends who are staring back, now, at debts in the 6 figure range.

A few years ago, I read that law students graduate with an AVERAGE of $85,000 in debt. That's just the average, and that's a few years old.

I think Case Western is around $33K per year. So you'll pay $100K before you pay for rent, food, or amphetamines.

Then, you're not even guaranteed a job.

Outshined_One
04-24-2006, 01:02 AM
Thanks for all the help! I have a few quick points to address that have come up in this thread...

-I have established residency in Illinois. Unfortunately, I did not get into Champaign-Urbana, so that option got thrown out the window. If I get into Wisconsin (which I strangely have not heard back from yet), I will try to fight for in-state tuition if at all possible, seeing as how I've been here for four years and have proof of my living here.

-As of right now, I've gotten into Case Western, Kent-Chicago, and Marquette. As mentioned above, I have not heard back from Wisconsin yet. Iowa and Loyola-Chicago waitlisted me. Minnesota deferred their decision on me, so I'll have to wait and see.

-If I get into either Iowa or Minnesota, I will likely go since those schools have a stronger national reputation than the others I've gotten into. Wisconsin is a tossup because I love it here...but I don't know if I'd be able to spend three more years here along with however many more years since Wisconsin and Marquette grads don't have to take the bar in Wisconsin. Like I said, a tossup. Loyola...eh, I'm not so sure how I'd feel about going if I got in. I view it similarly to Kent, which I'll address below.

-So, that leaves Marquette, Kent, and Case. I think I'll be taking Marquette off the list. If I decide to go to school in Wisconsin, it'll be at UW-Madison. Kent is making a really tempting offer that I'm going to have trouble passing up. I'm from Chicago. I know it well. But, I just have this wanderlust thing going on right now. I'd just like to get up and explore before I settle down, ya know?

-Which brings me to Case Western. I don't know anyone in Cleveland. Heck, my experiences with Cleveland have been limited. However, I have done my share of research on it, talked to some people (including some on this board!) about it, and have been in touch with some of their administration. I have been impressed, needless to say.

I have a seriously hard decision to make, even if I only end up having to choose between Kent and Case. I think it's awesome that I've gotten into these schools and have a realistic chance of getting into more, but it's still one of the biggest decisions in my life. I can't take it lightly, ya know?

I do have faith that it'll work out, though. :D

Caveat Emperor
04-24-2006, 01:17 AM
-So, that leaves Marquette, Kent, and Case. I think I'll be taking Marquette off the list. If I decide to go to school in Wisconsin, it'll be at UW-Madison. Kent is making a really tempting offer that I'm going to have trouble passing up. I'm from Chicago. I know it well. But, I just have this wanderlust thing going on right now. I'd just like to get up and explore before I settle down, ya know?

-Which brings me to Case Western. I don't know anyone in Cleveland. Heck, my experiences with Cleveland have been limited. However, I have done my share of research on it, talked to some people (including some on this board!) about it, and have been in touch with some of their administration. I have been impressed, needless to say.

I have a seriously hard decision to make, even if I only end up having to choose between Kent and Case. I think it's awesome that I've gotten into these schools and have a realistic chance of getting into more, but it's still one of the biggest decisions in my life. I can't take it lightly, ya know?

I do have faith that it'll work out, though. :D

This probably goes without saying, but I'm the kinda guy that'll say it anyway:

When you're looking at these law schools, pay special attention to their placement office or career services website section. Oftentimes they'll list the firms that come in for interviews on campus. This is a very good barometer for where their grads go, how good their placement rate is with grads, and what kind of reputation the school has in the national legal community. See how many firms are from cities outside the area, how many national firms interview, etc. Ignore any "resume drop" programs -- those are a waste of everyone's time and I don't know why schools do them.

You mentioned that you've got a bit of a wanderlust thing going on right now, and that's cool -- I followed mine down to Louisiana and had a great time in college. However, be aware that the majority of the opportunities open to you at most law schools are going to come from the area around the law school. At Case, I'd imagine, you're going to see a good number of grads stay local in the Cleveland area, and their strongest alumni base is going to be in Cleveland.

A good rule of thumb I learned only after picking my school was that you should never go to a law school unless you could see yourself living in that area of the country after graduation.

Good luck!

cincinnati chili
04-24-2006, 11:49 PM
How old are you? If you're over 25, Some of the state schools give you automatic residency in the 2nd and 3rd years, provided you establish permanent residency.

If you might want to live in Chicago, and Kent is giving you a good offer, think hard about it. It has a great reputation among Chicago lawyers.

I thought that the Wisconsin automatic bar admission thing was a rumor. If that's true (and you can see yourself practicing in Wisconsin), that's a pretty nice bonus. Studying for the bar sucks. Having to take boring classes like Commercial Paper, because you think it might help you pass the bar, sucks.

It sounds like you've thought this through carefully. These are all very good schools.

I sense that you might be a little hard on Marquette. Beware of the U.S. News rankings. They can be very misleading (I know Marquette has dropped in the rankings in recent years, but they have a great reputation, particularly in Sports Law. There are some great profs there.). Having said that, If you get into Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa, I would go. They're public and have great reputations.

dsmith421
04-25-2006, 12:55 AM

When you start that firm, CE, let me know, because my clerkship's up next August and I'm not looking forward to the job search. I had to move 2500 miles for this job, for God's sake.

dsmith421
04-25-2006, 01:04 AM

I wanted to note that this is absolutely true, especially if you aren't 100% sold on practicing corporate or big time criminal law. (Or, if you're like me, and went to law school because you enjoy reading and three more years of college and didn't think much about what the actual career would entail.) I chose to go to Cincinnati over GW, Georgetown and Ohio State because tuition was almost free and I would be living close enough to home to mooch if things got tight. The difference between being 20-30K in debt and 150K is just as drastic as it sounds, especially if you would like to clerk or do government work when you finish school.

Yachtzee
04-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Ohio is very liberal with its in-state residency requirements. Practically no one is considered out-of-state after their first year. It's just too bad Case isn't a state school.

Cost of living is an issue too. Downtown Chicago is expensive, but can be offset if you can live at home. The cost of living at Case will be less, but you'll have to get your own place or share a place. Have you visited Case yet? I would do that first and get a feel for the area before making a decision.

wolfboy
10-06-2006, 12:50 AM
I've been studying Torts for the last few hours, and I figured I would try to dig up this thread. I was interested to see how things were going for Outshined_One, and whether Redszone and Redszone, L.P.A. had been formed yet. As a lowly clerk hoping to latch on to the future force to be reckoned with (r&r, lpa), I was hoping I could do the Probate work? I would imagine there might be room for that. Of course, as I am learning, blind assumptions are a very bad thing in the legal profession.

cincinnati chili
10-06-2006, 05:34 AM
I've been studying Torts for the last few hours, and I figured I would try to dig up this thread. I was interested to see how things were going for Outshined_One, and whether Redszone and Redszone, L.P.A. had been formed yet. As a lowly clerk hoping to latch on to the future force to be reckoned with (r&r, lpa), I was hoping I could do the Probate work? I would imagine there might be room for that. Of course, as I am learning, blind assumptions are a very bad thing in the legal profession.

Let me know if you want my outline by email. I did alright in Torts.

I'm knee-deep in the summer associateship job hunt for '07. (And I'm up at 5:30 AM, cuz the insomnia is kicking in).

How are the rest of you doing?

Yachtzee
10-06-2006, 11:57 PM
I might end up in probate and estate planning at some point myself. I really enjoyed Wills, Trusts & Estates I and II.

My focus should be getting a job, but I'm so busy right now. Fall semester of my third year and I'm taking 12 credit hours, doing Law Review, working at an internship. I have my intern certificate, so I can appear in court for misdemeanor cases. Add a new baby to the mix and it's pretty hectic around here. I have to get to bed. I have my Negotiations class at 9 am tomorrow.

cincinnati chili
10-07-2006, 12:22 AM
doing Law Review.... Congrats.

I have to get to bed. I have my Negotiations class at 9 am tomorrow.

Um... isn't tomorrow Saturday? And Columbus Day weekend to boot? What kind of satanic sadistic sort of legal program are you attending?

Yachtzee
10-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Congrats.

Thanks

Um... isn't tomorrow Saturday? And Columbus Day weekend to boot? What kind of satanic sadistic sort of legal program are you attending?

Yes! Can you believe these fascists? Actually, it's a one credit course where we come in on four Saturdays...No exam, no paper.

Caveat Emperor
10-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I have my intern certificate, so I can appear in court for misdemeanor cases.

I have my intern certification as well -- fortunately, it continues in existence after graduation so long as you have taken the bar exam and merely awaiting results (as I am currently). It is basically the only thing keeping me sane right now at my internship as I wait for the 27th.

Lost a case yesterday that I should've won on a possession charge -- thought I had things locked up, but the magistrate found reasonable doubt. I felt like I gave up a walk-off shot as he announced his decision. I hung my head and trotted out of the courtroom a beaten man. ;)

Yachtzee
10-07-2006, 01:59 PM
I have my intern certification as well -- fortunately, it continues in existence after graduation so long as you have taken the bar exam and merely awaiting results (as I am currently). It is basically the only thing keeping me sane right now at my internship as I wait for the 27th.

Lost a case yesterday that I should've won on a possession charge -- thought I had things locked up, but the magistrate found reasonable doubt. I felt like I gave up a walk-off shot as he announced his decision. I hung my head and trotted out of the courtroom a beaten man. ;)

Ouch. I feel for you. I haven't had to go to trial yet. All my cases seem to plead before I get there.

wolfboy
10-10-2006, 12:52 AM
I might end up in probate and estate planning at some point myself. I really enjoyed Wills, Trusts & Estates I and II.

My focus should be getting a job, but I'm so busy right now. Fall semester of my third year and I'm taking 12 credit hours, doing Law Review, working at an internship. I have my intern certificate, so I can appear in court for misdemeanor cases. Add a new baby to the mix and it's pretty hectic around here. I have to get to bed. I have my Negotiations class at 9 am tomorrow.

I'm just getting started in school, but my job has given me a lot of experience in the probate area. So far, it's been the area I'm most attracted to. The money is pretty good, there isn't a lot of courtroom time (mostly hearings before magistrates), and there are a lot of good stories behind the estates. In many cases, you get to help the client take care of the people they love. Granted, there can be some bitter family disputes, but that's nothing compared to what I've seen in the DR arena.

I think hectic becomes a way of life in law school. Congrats with the new baby! I think I had read that in another thread. So here was my hectic weekend: I'm in the middle of my midterm stretch. I think we only have midterms in our first semester. I went to see a movie on Friday night and lost my wallet. I had everything in there. Luckily, I knew it was gone soon, so I could make all of the necessary calls. Unfortunately, I have no picture identification. On Saturday, my car charger for my ipod caught on fire while I was driving. On Sunday, I develop appendicitis, and have to have surgery. I was just discharged this evening. I'm on a healthy amount of pain medication trying to cram in the studying for my midterms. It was a hectic (and very crappy) weekend.

Yachtzee
10-10-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm just getting started in school, but my job has given me a lot of experience in the probate area. So far, it's been the area I'm most attracted to. The money is pretty good, there isn't a lot of courtroom time (mostly hearings before magistrates), and there are a lot of good stories behind the estates. In many cases, you get to help the client take care of the people they love. Granted, there can be some bitter family disputes, but that's nothing compared to what I've seen in the DR arena.

I think hectic becomes a way of life in law school. Congrats with the new baby! I think I had read that in another thread. So here was my hectic weekend: I'm in the middle of my midterm stretch. I think we only have midterms in our first semester. I went to see a movie on Friday night and lost my wallet. I had everything in there. Luckily, I knew it was gone soon, so I could make all of the necessary calls. Unfortunately, I have no picture identification. On Saturday, my car charger for my ipod caught on fire while I was driving. On Sunday, I develop appendicitis, and have to have surgery. I was just discharged this evening. I'm on a healthy amount of pain medication trying to cram in the studying for my midterms. It was a hectic (and very crappy) weekend.

Thanks for the congrats. Law school takes on a new perspective with children and babies.

Appendicitis? I feel for you there. I got hit with appendicitis in the summer between first and second years. It was a good thing it was summer, because I was out a whole week and wasn't allowed to carry heavy stuff (i.e. law books) for two weeks after that. Get well.