View Full Version : April 22, 1965 in Reds' History

04-22-2006, 12:59 AM
APRIL 22, 1965...The Chicago Cubs broke a 2-2 tie in the 8th inning and went on to beat the Cincinnati Reds, 3-2, on a chilly day at Chicago's Wrigley Field. Reds' starter Jim O'Toole pitched seven innings of five-hit two-run ball before being pulled from the batting order with one out in the top of the eighth inning. Johnny Edwards was called off the bench to bat for O'Toole. Manager Dick Sisler's gamble paid off when the left handed hitting Edwards drilled a liner into the right field stands to tie the game at two runs apiece. Cubs' starter Cal Koonce then walked Reds' second baseman Pete Rose before being lifted in favor of reliever Ted Abernathy. Rose attempted to steal second base, but was gunned down by a strong throw from Cubs' catcher Dick Bertell. Tommy Harper drew a walk and Vada Pinson followed with a single for his second hit of the contest. Abernathy got out of the first and third, two-out jam, when he snuck his bread-and butter sinker past the dangerous Frank Robinson for the whiff and the Reds' third out. Reds' lefty reliever Billy McCool came to the mound for the Reds in the Cubs’ home half of the 8th inning. Cubs' rookie Glenn Beckert beat out a nubber that rolled down the third base line. A bunt by shortstop Roberto Pena moved Beckert to second base before McCool let go with a wild pitch. With the go ahead run on third base and only one out, the Cubs' third-place hitter, Billy Williams, laced a long single to left-center field to score Beckert. McCool buckled down and stopped the Cubs from scoring again. In the top of the 9th and the Reds needing a run to tie, Abernathy quickly retired Deron Johnson and Gordy Coleman. Sisler sent left handed hitting Art Shamsky to the plate to bat for catcher Don Pavletich. Shamsky lined a single to right, but any thoughts of a rally were quickly squashed when shortstop Leo "Chico" Cardenas struck out to end the ballgame. Abernathy, new to the Cubs and the league this season, picked up his first National League victory. McCool's loss snapped the Reds' three game winning streak and dropped the team from first-place in the standings.