PDA

View Full Version : players during the games...

jmac
04-22-2006, 08:20 AM
just curious on this.sometimes i try to see players on tv in dugout and cant always find certain ones.
is all the team required to set in dugout even if given game "off"?
i remember a game a few yrs ago when griffey didnt start but came off bench in extra innings to hit hr vs daal and the dodgers.after game griff said he was in clubhouse eating nacho's when boone sent word to him to pinch hit.
then the other nite when pulled womack went straight down the tunnel when coming back into dugout.
just sorta curious on this.btw i am not speaking of a player on the dl.i know they arent required to be there.

Red Leader
04-22-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm sure its different in every clubhouse, and also by player.

For the most part, I believe veterans are allowed to sit in the clubhouse during the game if they are not playing. I'm sure most of them sit and relax, some of them probably take some BP in the underground cages, and some get treatment from the trainer if they have an ailment. I'm sure all are encouraged to sit in the dugout and "keep their heads in the game" at some point in the game, especially if they could be used as a pinch hitter.

TeamBoone
04-22-2006, 10:43 AM
I've read different articles in the past where players have been quoted that they often work out or hit the cages until they're called upon (not every minute but usually mid game as they get closer to being needed). It keeps them from coming off the bench cold... Griffey, Cruz, and Freel immediately come to mind. It seems to be a common thing for these three especially (or at least they are the ones I remember talking about it).

Shaknb8k
04-22-2006, 11:45 AM
During the April 7th 2-hour rain delay I tried to make out a few players I saw sitting in the dugout. After a few minutes i figured out that two of them were the bat boys but the third player was Griffey. Just sitting there looking at the field (i guess thinking about if he was going to get to play) or watching the jumbotron. No he wasnt sitting there for the entire two and a half hour rain delay but he was sitting there for a good bit of it.

I thought this was awsome. Im sure a bunch of the other players were sitting in the clubhouse playing some video games or what ever. And theres nothing wrong with that during a rain delay. Im sure rain delays can get pretty boring. But not for Jr. It just seemed that when hes at the field hes all about baseball.

westofyou
04-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Ever since the clubhouse has been there it's been a refuge for various reasons, some BP guys don't come out of the clubhouse until the late innings, if they have access to the BP. The Reds at Crosley did that quite often.

westofyou
04-22-2006, 11:54 AM
No he wasnt sitting there for the entire two and a half hour rain delay but he was sitting there for a good bit of it.
Probably one of the only times in his life that he can sit there and no one will ask anything of him.