PDA

View Full Version : Milton to miss start tomorrow

corkedbat
04-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Returning to Cincy because of "knee discomfort". Too bad Dan0 couldn't have seen that one coming.

Matt700wlw
04-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm stunned.

Marc D
04-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Off the top of my head that's about 1/3 of our total payroll sitting in Cincy with knee prob's.

Boy being a Reds fan is fun.

Matt700wlw
04-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb that Belisle will start for Harang on Monday.

Patrick Bateman
With Belisle pitching only 2 days ago it's going to be hard imagining him pitching much. Nobody else can really throw significant innings after today's debacle.

In Louisville, it's May's turn in the rotation. I have a (sick) feeling he's going to come up. Either that or Homer Bailey who's slated to picth today.

CTA513
Returning to Cincy because of "knee discomfort". Too bad Dan0 couldn't have seen that one coming.

Whos pitching tomorrow? Harang or someone from the minors?

Matt700wlw
04-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Whos pitching tomorrow? Harang or someone from the minors?

Harang

flyer85
04-22-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm stunned.waited a little late as Germano pitched today. Myself and others speculated after the way his performance has degenerated since that spring start where he looked great that the degenerative knee was the real culprit and that maybe he was no longer cut out to be an MLB stater physically(or a reliever).

The question is, what now?

CTA513
04-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Harang

Does someone from the minors start on Monday or will that be Belisle?

Matt700wlw
04-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Does someone from the minors start on Monday or will that be Belisle?

I don't know, but Belisle would be on schedule considering his long relief was 2 days ago

Reds Nd2
04-22-2006, 05:14 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

MILWAUKEE -- Eric Milton has been scratched from his scheduled start tomorrow with "discomfort" in his left knee. He's on his way back to Cincinnati to be examined by Dr. Kremchek. Aaron Harang will come back early to start tomorrow.

Jerry Narron said the decision was made about 30 minutes before today's game. I did notice Milton hobbling around with a hefty amount of ice taped to his knee either yesterday or the day before, but that's not extremely unusual for him considering his past leg problems.

"Yesterday he was talking about it bothering him a little bit, and he was hoping he would come in today and feel pretty good, but he just didn’t," said Narron.

Was it an issue in Milton's start the other day against the Marlins, by far his worst performance of the year so far?

"I don’t know," said Narron. "He did not complain about it, did not make any excuse, but he did not look in his last start like he did in his first two."

Harang was approached before the game about making the Sunday start and said he could do it. He threw 85 pitches Wednesday against the Marlins.

"I’ve come back a couple times before in the minor leagues on three days’ rest," Harang said. "I feel good this week. I’m not worried about it."

Of course, bringing Harang back early leaves a hole in the rotation for Monday's series opener against the Nationals. Narron said he was "cautiously optimistic" that Milton might be able to return in time to make that start. If not, the options are limited.

Matt Belisle could give it a run, as he would be going on three days' rest from his 71-pitch relief outing here Thursday night. If the Reds make a roster move, they'd have to put somebody on the disabled list to recall Michael Gosling, who is scheduled to start tomorrow for Louisville. Monday's scheduled starter for the Bats is Darrell May, who is not on the 40-man and would have to be added.

"We’ll just see how it comes out with Milton," said Narron. "Hopefully he’ll be fine and be able to pitch on Monday."

Gallen5862
04-22-2006, 05:33 PM
If the Reds make a roster move, they'd have to put somebody on the disabled list to recall Michael Gosling, who is scheduled to start tomorrow for Louisville. Monday's scheduled starter for the Bats is Darrell May, who is not on the 40-man and would have to be added.

"We’ll just see how it comes out with Milton," said Narron. "Hopefully he’ll be fine and be able to pitch on Monday."

Marc D
04-22-2006, 05:33 PM
So in essence, as bad as Milton is, his absence bumps everyone else up a notch. Dave Williams isn't your #5 anymore, he's our #4 while Belsile or some other cannon fodder takes his beating at #5.

Outings from starters will get shorter and an already very poor bullpen will get to add fatigue to a fundamental lack of talent.

All of this of course could hasten the promotion of some poor minor leaguer(s) and we will either see some kid get rushed or another summer of the Cincinnati RiverBats on the pitching front.

Boy oh boy could this get ugly(er).

Big Klu
04-22-2006, 05:49 PM
So Harang goes on short time tomorrow to take the place of Milton. That leaves several possible scenarios for the upcoming series in Washington:

1) Both Williams and Belisle will start--one on Monday and the other on Tuesday. (My preference would be Belisle on Mon. and Williams on Tue.)

2) Milton is pushed back to Monday.

3) Milton is pushed back to Tuesday, with Belisle/Williams starting on Monday.

4) Milton is DL'ed, and Gosling is called up to start on Monday.

5) Womack is waived for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release, and May's contract is purchased from Louisville. May then starts on Monday.

6) Milton is DL'ed, Wilson's rehab at Dayton is bypassed, and he is activated in time to start on Monday.

I think the best bets are either #1 or #4, with #5 being a dark horse. #6 is a real longshot.

corkedbat
04-22-2006, 05:56 PM
So in essence, as bad as Milton is, his absence bumps everyone else up a notch. Dave Williams isn't your #5 anymore, he's our #4 while Belsile or some other cannon fodder takes his beating at #5.

Outings from starters will get shorter and an already very poor bullpen will get to add fatigue to a fundamental lack of talent.

All of this of course could hasten the promotion of some poor minor leaguer(s) and we will either see some kid get rushed or another summer of the Cincinnati RiverBats on the pitching front.

Boy oh boy could this get ugly(er).

I really have no ill will toward Eric, but I get so danged mad every time I think of them giving him that contract when they should have known about the knee condition and foreseen this kind if thing happening. :bang: :bang:

The one thing a franchise the size of the Reds (unlike a team like the Yankees) can't afford is a big-dollar risk/mistake on a contract. Yeah, Griffey's been injured a lot, but his history was sound before he was acquired. This was totaly foreseeable/avoidable.

I really hope Milton is OK and can come back to be successful (hopefully to interest someone in a deal), but I have a sinking feeling that things are only gonna get worse where he's concerned.

The Baumer
04-22-2006, 06:17 PM
His lifetime numbers suggested he would have knee discomfort the third or fourth week of the 2006 season. The stats were there. I saw it, you guys saw it, I wonder why DanO didn't see it.

edabbs44
04-22-2006, 06:56 PM
So Harang goes on short time tomorrow to take the place of Milton. That leaves several possible scenarios for the upcoming series in Washington:

1) Both Williams and Belisle will start--one on Monday and the other on Tuesday. (My preference would be Belisle on Mon. and Williams on Tue.)

2) Milton is pushed back to Monday.

3) Milton is pushed back to Tuesday, with Belisle/Williams starting on Monday.

4) Milton is DL'ed, and Gosling is called up to start on Monday.

5) Womack is waived for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release, and May's contract is purchased from Louisville. May then starts on Monday.

6) Milton is DL'ed, Wilson's rehab at Dayton is bypassed, and he is activated in time to start on Monday.

I think the best bets are either #1 or #4, with #5 being a dark horse. #6 is a real longshot.

No shot of D Williams being given a pair of concrete loafers, Milton being traded and E Ramirez getting the call? Actually just the last one is serious.

Big Klu
04-22-2006, 08:49 PM
No shot of D Williams being given a pair of concrete loafers, Milton being traded and E Ramirez getting the call? Actually just the last one is serious.

Don't ask me about my business....:cool:

Actually, Ramirez would be a possible choice. But I think that Gosling makes more sense, since they have already used his option, and because Sunday would be his regular day to pitch, so he would be close to being on schedule.

indyred
04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Wayne better be working the phones looking for some pitching help....

Aronchis
04-22-2006, 09:26 PM
No reason to rush things out of desperation(which why Pena was traded partly IMO) at this point. If Claussen and Harang don't pull it together soon, the Reds won't have much desperation left to bother with.

George Foster
04-22-2006, 09:36 PM
I feel a BIG trade is coming sooner rather than later. Remember we have to trade something to get something so look for Kearns to be "trade bate" again.

flyer85
04-22-2006, 10:15 PM
I feel a BIG trade is coming sooner rather than later. most teams aren't ready to deal yet until they assess what they have and what they need. I really don't see a deal screaming to be done.

jnwohio
04-22-2006, 10:41 PM
...... I think that Gosling makes more sense, since they have already used his option....

The option was used as soon as he was sent down during spring training. He can be up and down as many times as they want during the season on that option. Same is true of Ramirez, the option is already used . They can move him up and down throughout the season with no change in his option status.

The issue with Gosling at this specific point in time is when you are sent down from the 25 man roster, it is either a week or 10 days before you can be brought back up again UNLESS you are brought back sooner becasue of an opening created by someone being put on the DL.

Too bad about this rule for the Reds. Between the AAA roster the the ML 25 man roster, they've got enough relief pitchers of about the same ability and on option that they could just shuttle guys back and forth to keep a couple of fresh arms in stock at all times but for this rule.

CTA513
04-22-2006, 11:22 PM

MILWAUKEE -- Eric Milton has been scratched from his scheduled start tomorrow with "discomfort" in his left knee. He's on his way back to Cincinnati to be examined by Dr. Kremchek. Aaron Harang will come back early to start tomorrow.

Jerry Narron said the decision was made about 30 minutes before today's game. I did notice Milton hobbling around with a hefty amount of ice taped to his knee either yesterday or the day before, but that's not extremely unusual for him considering his past leg problems.

"Yesterday he was talking about it bothering him a little bit, and he was hoping he would come in today and feel pretty good, but he just didnít," said Narron.

Was it an issue in Milton's start the other day against the Marlins, by far his worst performance of the year so far?

"I donít know," said Narron. "He did not complain about it, did not make any excuse, but he did not look in his last start like he did in his first two."

Harang was approached before the game about making the Sunday start and said he could do it. He threw 85 pitches Wednesday against the Marlins.

"Iíve come back a couple times before in the minor leagues on three daysí rest," Harang said. "I feel good this week. Iím not worried about it."

Of course, bringing Harang back early leaves a hole in the rotation for Monday's series opener against the Nationals. Narron said he was "cautiously optimistic" that Milton might be able to return in time to make that start. If not, the options are limited.

Matt Belisle could give it a run, as he would be going on three days' rest from his 71-pitch relief outing here Thursday night. If the Reds make a roster move, they'd have to put somebody on the disabled list to recall Michael Gosling, who is scheduled to start tomorrow for Louisville. Monday's scheduled starter for the Bats is Darrell May, who is not on the 40-man and would have to be added.

"Weíll just see how it comes out with Milton," said Narron. "Hopefully heíll be fine and be able to pitch on Monday."

Milton is hobbling around and pushing his spot in the rotation back one day is going to mean his knee will all of a sudden by fine? :rolleyes:

flyer85
04-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Milton is hobbling around and pushing his spot in the rotation back one day is going to mean his knee will all of a sudden by fine? :rolleyes:The real issue is his knee is likely never to be right again. If only took 3 spring starts and 3 season starts before the problem got bad enough to miss a start. Personally I think he struggled with it all last year and it seems to me it in unlikely to change at this point. He certainly needs to go to the DL for however long that might be

Big Klu
04-22-2006, 11:38 PM
The option was used as soon as he was sent down during spring training. He can be up and down as many times as they want during the season on that option. Same is true of Ramirez, the option is already used . They can move him up and down throughout the season with no change in his option status.

The issue with Gosling at this specific point in time is when you are sent down from the 25 man roster, it is either a week or 10 days before you can be brought back up again UNLESS you are brought back sooner becasue of an opening created by someone being put on the DL.

Too bad about this rule for the Reds. Between the AAA roster the the ML 25 man roster, they've got enough relief pitchers of about the same ability and on option that they could just shuttle guys back and forth to keep a couple of fresh arms in stock at all times but for this rule.

I knew that the Reds had already exercised Gosling's option, and I knew that once it was exercised, they could bring him up or send him down as often as they want with no change in his option status. But I didn't know they had also exercised Ramirez's option. Thanks.

I am also aware of the 10-day rule. However, if Gosling is brought up this time, it will be because Milton will be DL'ed, so the 10-day rule can be waived in this instance.

Henry Clay
04-22-2006, 11:47 PM
The real issue is his knee is likely never to be right again. If only took 3 spring starts and 3 season starts before the problem got bad enough to miss a start. Personally I think he struggled with it all last year and it seems to me it in unlikely to change at this point. He certainly needs to go to the DL for however long that might be

The knee problem is certainly a chronic problem, but I think he may have aggravated it during his miracle triple the other day in Chicago. Not only did he sprint around the bases, but he slid into 3rd. Once there, Ramirez nearly flattened him trying to catch Zambrano's poorly directed pickoff throw. If you remember, the next inning Milton had a lot of trouble with the Cubs even though he fought his way out of the jam. At the time, I thought he may have just been winded from running. In retrospect, I think he may have overworked or reinjured his bad knee in that game. He certainly wasn't right in the next game.

George Foster
04-23-2006, 12:59 AM
The knee problem is certainly a chronic problem, but I think he may have aggravated it during his miracle triple the other day in Chicago. Not only did he sprint around the bases, but he slid into 3rd. Once there, Ramirez nearly flattened him trying to catch Zambrano's poorly directed pickoff throw. If you remember, the next inning Milton had a lot of trouble with the Cubs even though he fought his way out of the jam. At the time, I thought he may have just been winded from running. In retrospect, I think he may have overworked or reinjured his bad knee in that game. He certainly wasn't right in the next game.
This is a good point...great post!

RedsMan3203
04-23-2006, 01:41 AM
I can see it now...

Milton pushes his own start back 1 day to pitch in a more pitcher friendly park in JFK. ;)

CTA513
04-23-2006, 10:17 AM
I can see it now...

Milton pushes his own start back 1 day to pitch in a more pitcher friendly park in JFK. ;)

No park is pitcher friendly for a Reds pitcher.

westofyou
04-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Milton to have surgery

MILWAUKEE -- Early word this morning that Eric Milton will have arthroscopic surgery tomorrow to "debride the meniscus in his left knee," according to the Reds. Doc Kremchek will do the deed, of course. The injury apparently was revealed in an MRI taken last night.

This obviously means a DL trip for Milton, though nothing official has been said about that. Though it would require a 40-man move, my best guess is Darrell May joining the club by tomorrow. That's just a guess, though.

More later, I assume...

Chip R
04-23-2006, 10:29 AM
DanO: The gift that just keeps on giving... until it hurts.

Actually, it is RFK, not JFK. JFK was in Philly where they used to play the Army Navy football game at.

CTA513
04-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Though it would require a 40-man move, my best guess is Darrell May joining the club by tomorrow.

Darrell May?
2005: 68.1 IP, 87 Hits, 14 HR, 23 BB, 35 K.... 6.78 ERA

:help:

membengal
04-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Darrell May?
2005: 68.1 IP, 87 Hits, 14 HR, 23 BB, 35 K.... 6.78 ERA

:help:

At least we are used to that as a fanbase.

Sadly.