PDA

View Full Version : Milton's hurt and a dl move would have to be made to call up Gosling.

Gallen5862
04-22-2006, 05:37 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
Milton's hurt

MILWAUKEE -- Eric Milton has been scratched from his scheduled start tomorrow with "discomfort" in his left knee. He's on his way back to Cincinnati to be examined by Dr. Kremchek. Aaron Harang will come back early to start tomorrow.

Jerry Narron said the decision was made about 30 minutes before today's game. I did notice Milton hobbling around with a hefty amount of ice taped to his knee either yesterday or the day before, but that's not extremely unusual for him considering his past leg problems.

"Yesterday he was talking about it bothering him a little bit, and he was hoping he would come in today and feel pretty good, but he just didnít," said Narron.

Was it an issue in Milton's start the other day against the Marlins, by far his worst performance of the year so far?

"I donít know," said Narron. "He did not complain about it, did not make any excuse, but he did not look in his last start like he did in his first two."

Harang was approached before the game about making the Sunday start and said he could do it. He threw 85 pitches Wednesday against the Marlins.

"Iíve come back a couple times before in the minor leagues on three daysí rest," Harang said. "I feel good this week. Iím not worried about it."

Of course, bringing Harang back early leaves a hole in the rotation for Monday's series opener against the Nationals. Narron said he was "cautiously optimistic" that Milton might be able to return in time to make that start. If not, the options are limited.

Matt Belisle could give it a run, as he would be going on three days' rest from his 71-pitch relief outing here Thursday night. If the Reds make a roster move, they'd have to put somebody on the disabled list to recall Michael Gosling, who is scheduled to start tomorrow for Louisville. Monday's scheduled starter for the Bats is Darrell May, who is not on the 40-man and would have to be added.

"Weíll just see how it comes out with Milton," said Narron. "Hopefully heíll be fine and be able to pitch on Monday."

LawFive
04-22-2006, 05:38 PM
And it begins.

Gallen5862
04-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Well If we can DFa Womack and claim Zach Day or Bring up May and possibly Dl Milton and Bring in Gosling.

Marc D
04-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Net-net is that someone who shouldn't be pitching in the Majors, soon will be.

RedsManRick
04-22-2006, 05:45 PM
The good thing about having such crappy starters is that when they get hurt the fall off to their replacements isn't much of a downgrade.

traderumor
04-22-2006, 05:53 PM
I think the Reds ought to seek subrogation on DanO to pay the balance of Milton's contract.

Sea Ray
04-22-2006, 06:22 PM
If Milton can't make Monday's start then he should be thrown on the DL. This sort of injury could explain why Milton's last start was so much worse than he's looked in the past month. It's also good that it's his knee. That beats an arm or shoulder injury. Best we treat it now before it becomes an arm injury. I wonder when the Lizard is due to pitch again. Supposedly he looked real good in his last start. Maybe we can patch something together in the meantime.

Caveat Emperor
04-22-2006, 06:31 PM
The good thing about having such crappy starters is that when they get hurt the fall off to their replacements isn't much of a downgrade.

Word is that Wayne Krivsky has already put in a call to Baseball Prospectus, asking for a loan of 5 of those "Replacement-Level Players" they keep talking about.

IslandRed
04-22-2006, 09:16 PM
It's also good that it's his knee. That beats an arm or shoulder injury.

Well... maybe. Or maybe not. Milton has degenerative knee problems, and that's the primary reason why he's gone from a league-average innings-muncher to a guy who tosses in-game batting practice as often as not. True, if he messed up his arm or shoulder, he wouldn't be able to pitch. But if his knees don't get better, we don't really want him to pitch. Same difference.

37red
04-22-2006, 09:32 PM
I like that law five......... and it begins. But hey, today it seemed appropriate(sp) to let all the guys that need practice in a real game situation to pitch....... why not. There wasn't any chance that the game was going to be pulled out so why not make it a practice that the pitchers would gain from. Even put in some of the players that don't get a chance to play. I'm not one to give up, and everyone here knows that, but nearly setting another record for home runs in an inning you should make a positive out of a negative.

Reds1
04-22-2006, 10:13 PM
I think the Reds ought to seek subrogation on DanO to pay the balance of Milton's contract.

Not the Milton we saw in his last 2-3 Spring starts and 1st couple starts this year. He was awesome! We have nothing to replace that. Hopefully he'll be ok.

KronoRed
04-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Well... maybe. Or maybe not. Milton has degenerative knee problems, and that's the primary reason why he's gone from a league-average innings-muncher to a guy who tosses in-game batting practice as often as not. True, if he messed up his arm or shoulder, he wouldn't be able to pitch. But if his knees don't get better, we don't really want him to pitch. Same difference.
Agreed, I'd actually feel better if it wasn't the knee.

Not a lot down in AAA that fills me with hope.

reds44
04-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Seems to me as it isn't wishful thinking, but just being stupid if Milton can't pitch tomorrow, but you think he will be able to Monday.

Henry Clay
04-23-2006, 12:04 AM
It sounds like Milton needs to go straight to the DL. With the short performances turned in by Reds starters in the past week, other than the Great Arroyo, the already shaky and ancient bullpen is going to be overworked by the end of April. A little long-term planning by the front office would help here in the form of a timely promotion or acquisition to help buy some innings. Even a short-term promotion to spot start wouldn't be a bad option if a player in the minors qualified. That's how Claussen got his first and only start with the Yankees. I don't see a big plus by moving the other guys in the rotation up one day. They didn't fare well or go deep last week on full rest. Short rest will not improve matters. I'm hoping the team finds a solution in the next 2 days. I'm going to the game on Monday in DC, and I don't want to watch Williams go up against Livan Hernandez on short rest. After his last 2 starts, I may not want to watch Williams at all at this point.

GAC
04-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Straight to the DL?

Why don't we wait until someone who is qualified in diagnosis does so? ;)

Marty and Joe
04-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Straight to the DL...surgery scheduled tomorrow.

Marc's best guess is May will be the one.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Marc D
04-23-2006, 11:02 AM
18 games in, we've scored 110 while allowing 114 and now the pitchings going to get ugly. :eek:

We as Reds fans are conditioned to some extreme tolerance levels.

Henry Clay
04-23-2006, 11:15 AM
If May is promoted and Womack is released to clear a 40 man spot (which makes the most sense if Womack is going to have to go soon anyway), I hope the team brings in 2 pitchers to fill those 2 spots. I'm not a big fan of May, but I understand that he is in line for a Monday start. The problems go deeper than Milton's injury, however, and the team needs another pitcher, at least in the short term, to give innings either in place of Williams or potentially after him if he falters again on Tuesday.

Krusty
04-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Think the Rockies might be interested in a Womack for Day deal?

LoganBuck
04-23-2006, 11:55 AM
I was going to suggest giving Dumatrait a spot start, but it looks like he pitched last Thursday, and only made it through 3 innings after not pitching for like 2 weeks because of the birth of a new child.

Henry Clay
04-23-2006, 12:16 PM
FYI -- From Marc's Blog. It looks like it will be the Lizard.

Looking like EZ

MILWAUKEE -- Let's get the disclaimer out of the way:

"We have not decided 100 percent who's going to be here," said Jerry Narron. "I really don't know."

Nonetheless, a decision on tomorrow's starter is forthcoming, and it looks as if Elizardo Ramirez is the leader in the clubhouse. Though he's not scheduled to pitch until Tuesday for Louisville, he wouldn't be on short rest; his last start came Wednesday. And he's already on the roster, which makes it much easier.

Narron joked that he tried to ask Krivsky for Homer Bailey, but "he stopped me before the 'H'"

I view EZ as a better option than May. May has had one season of decent pitching, despite being 34 years old. His only sub-5 ERA in the majors was during 1 year with KC. Elizardo Ramirez will probably never be a Cy Young candidate or close to it, but he put up a good ERA in a bunch of starts in Louisville last year (although he gave up a number of hits and didn't get that many strikeouts). He is probably the best in-house option for Monday.

Caveat Emperor
04-23-2006, 01:04 PM
FYI -- From Marc's Blog. It looks like it will be the Lizard.

I view EZ as a better option than May. May has had one season of decent pitching, despite being 34 years old. His only sub-5 ERA in the majors was during 1 year with KC. Elizardo Ramirez will probably never be a Cy Young candidate or close to it, but he put up a good ERA in a bunch of starts in Louisville last year (although he gave up a number of hits and didn't get that many strikeouts). He is probably the best in-house option for Monday.

I've seen Elizardo Ramirez pitch personally twice now -- once in Cincinnati when he got a callup and once here in Toledo when the Bats came to town at the end of last season.

All issues of projection (such as "filling out his frame" etc.) aside, I didn't see a lot that I liked. I got a really good look at him the last time in Toledo (I had tickets about 10 rows back directly behind the plate) and he has all the makings of a pitcher that's just going to get tattooed in the bigs routinely. He throws his fastball at around 90-91, and it's an absolute laser beam right to the plate with no movement whatsoever. Command of his breaking ball is going to be key, because he needs something to keep hitters off balance and keep them from sitting on his fastball. I also heard that he was working on his change this spring -- which is good, because he'll need to change speeds very effectively in order to retire hitters.

I was excited about Ramirez when the Reds got him, but I'm really low on him right now. I certainly hope the Reds instructors have worked hard with him this offseason and this spring in order to help him be a better pitcher, because the guy I saw twice last year is going to make Reds fans long for Eric Milton after too long.

Hopefully he'll be a little more experienced and able to retire hitters than he was last year!

Sea Ray
04-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Agreed, I'd actually feel better if it wasn't the knee.

Really? You'd prefer it be an elbow or a shoulder? I disagree. I feel better about Milton's injury than Burnett's elbow in Toronto.

KronoRed
04-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Really? You'd prefer it be an elbow or a shoulder? I disagree. I feel better about Milton's injury than Burnett's elbow in Toronto.
With all Milton's knee trouble, yes.

Sea Ray
04-23-2006, 10:24 PM
With all Milton's knee trouble, yes.

All his knee problems? Has he ever been on the DL before?

KronoRed
04-23-2006, 10:36 PM
All his knee problems? Has he ever been on the DL before?
There's a reason he only made 3 starts in 2003.
From March 03
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0305/1518987.html

Sea Ray
04-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Good news that the MRI showed the meniscus was fine. Let's hope that the knee was the cause of his poor (last) outing and that Kremchek fixes him up pronto. We need the Milton we saw this Spring.

M2
04-23-2006, 11:08 PM
It's a constantly degenerating knee condition. Milton's never going to get "better."

cReds1
04-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Amazing how his knee problems appear aftering starting to suck again. No it is not. Why we picked up this BUM in the first place I will never know.

TRF
04-24-2006, 09:58 AM
It's the other knee, not the bad one, which IMO makes this problem even worse.

Red Leader
04-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Elizardo Ramirez will start Monday against the Nationals.
Ramirez is filling in for Eric Milton who will undergo knee surgery on Monday. The Reds are expected to juggle their bullpen so that Ramirez will go to the bullpen following the start and Matt Belisle will take the slot in the rotation.

Belisle moving into the rotation after this one start. First time I've heard that. I like that better than allowing Ramirez to keep the spot, myself.

traderumor
04-24-2006, 12:53 PM
It's the other knee, not the bad one, which IMO makes this problem even worse.It's the same knee.

The 30-year-old southpaw was expected to miss 2-3 weeks, but he won't necessarily have a routine recovery process since this will be the third surgery on Milton's left knee since 2002. In March 2003, when he was with the Twins, torn lateral meniscus cartilage required a major operation and forced him to miss most of the season.http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060423&content_id=1414357&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

deltachi8
04-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Think the Rockies might be interested in a Womack for Day deal?

Im not really a Day fan, but now as both have been DFA'd...Day makes 600K this year so the Reds would probably have to eat the difference in salaries. Of course, the Rockies would have to want to put Womack on their roster as well.

TRF
04-24-2006, 02:23 PM
It's the same knee.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060423&content_id=1414357&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

I had heard otherwise. my bad.

KronoRed
04-24-2006, 03:39 PM
It's the same knee.

Bad news.

M2
04-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Bad news.

Actually it might be good news for the team dependent on whether the Reds managed to get some insurance on his contract.

I'd think it would be hard to insure that knee, but he had just thrown two full seasons without a stay on the DL.

Chip R
04-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Actually it might be good news for the team dependent on whether the Reds managed to get some insurance on his contract.
Considering who signed him, I'd say the odds are pretty long.

traderumor
04-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Maybe its with Great American Insurance Co? :evil:

M2
04-24-2006, 04:54 PM

Now THAT would be hysterical.

KronoRed
04-24-2006, 04:58 PM
If so they probably put something in where they get paid in nanners ;)

GridironGrace
04-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Kinda explains the poor outing last time IMO.

Heal up MILTON i wanna see u like u were in those first 2 starts.

M2
04-24-2006, 05:01 PM

I want to see him bring peace to the Middle East.

traderumor
04-24-2006, 05:06 PM

Was it that much of a labor to push down the "y" and the "o" on the keyboard? :p:

KronoRed
04-24-2006, 05:35 PM
I want to see him bring peace to the Middle East.
Not with that knee