PDA

View Full Version : Mayo and Walker show could be over

WVRed
04-23-2006, 10:08 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060422/SPT0301/604220378/1069/SPT03

NCH's Mayo ponders transfer
Basketball star visited Oak Hill
BY DUSTIN DOW AND TOM GROESCHEN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

O.J. Mayo, one of the best high school basketball players in the country, might not return to North College Hill High School for his senior season.

According to a source, Mayo visited Oak Hill Academy, a prep school in Mouth of Wilson, Va., Thursday, shot baskets in the school's gymnasium and is considering transferring to the school.

Oak Hill Academy coach Steve Smith did not comment Friday. Joe Nickel, NCH's athletic director, said Mayo still is enrolled at his school.
ADVERTISEMENT

"I don't have any information to say no or yes, but I've been hearing this (transfer rumor) a lot more than in the past," Nickel said. "That's a family issue, and I have no information on it."

The source said Mayo plans to finish the academic year at NCH before publicizing a decision about his intentions for next season.

Mayo was unavailable for comment.

Oak Hill is a perennial powerhouse, with 17 former players drafted by the NBA in the past 20 years. With a record of 40-1, it finished No. 2 in USA Today's boys' basketball rankings this season. North College Hill was third, losing only to Oak Hill, 88-74 in February.

The Trojans, who have won the past two Ohio Division III state titles, might not be the only team to lose Mayo. He is in Houston this weekend, playing in a tournament for the Miami Tropics, a summer-league team.

This is significant because it represents a split - at least temporarily - from the summer-league team that Mayo has been playing for: the North College Hill D-I Greyhounds, who are coached by Mayo's guardian, Dwaine Barnes.

"O.J. has known of our program, and he wanted to play in this tournament," Art Alvarez, Miami Tropics coach, said. "He looked at the teams playing, and he chose us."

Alvarez said Mayo's switch to the Tropics could be permanent.

"We'll see how it goes from there," Alvarez said.

Alvarez is close friends with former University of Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins, now coach of Kansas State. The Tropics' roster includes 7-foot-2 center Jason Bennett, who will play at Kansas State next season.

Alvarez said his relationship with Huggins and a Huggins assistant, Frank Martin - who is a former UC assistant - helped attract Mayo.

Mayo has said Kansas State is on his list of possible colleges.

Huggins first established a relationship with Mayo and Barnes when Huggins was at UC. Huggins left UC in August.

Citing NCAA rules that prohibit him from speaking publicly about unsigned prospects, Huggins declined to comment on Mayo Friday.

The Tropics are sponsored by Nike, as are Oak Hill Academy and Kansas State.

Reebok sponsors the Greyhounds, and NCH plays in Reebok uniforms.

Alvarez said Mayo's decision to play for Miami "isn't about the shoes."

Said Alvarez: "O.J. doesn't have a contract with Reebok. These kids aren't professionals. From what I understand, he just doesn't want to play with (the D-I Greyhounds)."

Barnes did not return messages left on his cell phone.

Leon Murray, who starred for NCH in the 1970s, is a friend and mentor to Mayo and said he is unaware that Mayo wants to leave.

Mayo, who transferred to NCH from Rose Hill (Ky.) Christian in spring 2003, broke Murray's NCH career scoring mark this past season.

"He's told me personally his goal is to win three straight (Division III) state titles (at NCH)," Murray said.

Should Mayo decide to play at Oak Hill next season, fans might get a glimpse of the future of Kansas State basketball. One of Oak Hill's top returning players, Michael Beasley, publicly has listed KSU as his No. 1 choice.

Mayo is ranked the No. 1 overall prospect in the class of 2007 by Rivals.com, a recruiting Web site that has Beasley listed at No. 3.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060422/SPT0301/604220346/1069/SPT03

HSAA conducts Walker hearing
Eligibility of NCH star in question
BY TOM GROESCHEN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Bill Walker, as with fellow junior superstar O.J. Mayo, is facing questions about whether he will return to the North College Hill basketball team next season.

While Mayo reportedly mulls a transfer to Oak Hill Academy (Va.), Walker this week attended a hearing with Ohio High School Athletic Association officials regarding Walker's eligibility for the 2006-07 season.

In question is how many semesters Walker will have attended school at NCH, following his transfer from Rose Hill Christian (Ky.) as an eighth-grader.
ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Goldring, an OHSAA assistant commissioner, confirmed that Walker, at least one Walker family member and NCH representatives appeared before the OHSAA on Thursday. Nothing was decided for now, Goldring said, but indications are Walker will be eligible for the 2006-07 season.

"I can't recall what got the ball rolling on this, but sometime during the winter there was some concern expressed about his eligibility for next year ... in terms of how many semesters he actually has at the high school level," Goldring said. "It became confusing, based on his schooling prior to entering NCH."

NCH athletic director Joe Nickel said he cannot discuss the matter.

OHSAA bylaws stipulate that a student-athlete has eight semesters to participate in athletics, from the time a student begins ninth grade.

Since seventh grade, Walker has attended schools in Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky. One issue is whether Rose Hill Christian listed him as a ninth-grader when Walker actually was still in eighth grade.

Walker and Mayo wound up at NCH during their eighth-grade year, and the two players first appeared on the NCH varsity roster as freshmen in the 2003-04 season.

The players' ages are not issues. OHSAA bylaws state that a senior athlete cannot turn 19 before Aug. 1 of his senior year, and both Mayo and Walker will turn 19 in autumn 2006.

Walker and Mayo are consensus national top-five rated players in their class, with Mayo listed No. 1 and Walker from No. 2 to No. 4 by top scouting services such as Scout .com and Hoop Scoop.

Walker, a 6-foot-6 power forward, last season averaged 21.7 points and 10.1 rebounds in helping lead NCH to its second straight Ohio Division III championship. He was a Parade second-team All-American.

Former University of Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins, now at Kansas State, is rumored to be a front-runner to land Mayo and Walker. Another top Huggins target is 6-8 forward Michael Beasley of Oak Hill Academy, who told the Kansas City Star he is leaning toward K-State.

Beasley also told the Kansas City paper that Walker - and maybe Mayo - could follow.

Hap
04-23-2006, 12:08 PM
What ever happened to the lady he hit over the head with a chair at the bowling alley? Why don't we ever hear about her?

redsfan30
04-23-2006, 12:17 PM
What ever happened to the lady he hit over the head with a chair at the bowling alley? Why don't we ever hear about her?
Or the kid he picked up and threw down, breaking his jaw in the tournament in 2004....we never hear about that, either.

westofyou
04-23-2006, 12:17 PM
That was Allen Iverson's HS rumble too IIRC.

redsfan30
04-23-2006, 12:18 PM
That was Allen Iverson's HS rumble too IIRC.
Sure was.

BigRed
04-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Why don't they transfer to a school in Manhattan KS instead of Oak Hill? Huggins has them locked up and ready to go there, doesn't he?

WMR
04-23-2006, 04:14 PM
They could go to Scott County High School for a year if they'd like.

We'll even try and rustle up some sweet Toyota jobs for their relatives. ;)

Caveat Emperor
04-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Why don't they transfer to a school in Manhattan KS instead of Oak Hill? Huggins has them locked up and ready to go there, doesn't he?

As long as they don't go play for Morgan Wooten at the hated and dispised DaMatha High School in Hyattsville, MD -- I could care less where either of these two gentlemen go to sch- I mean, play basketball.

It is kinda crazy though -- high school kids transferring around for better sports opportunities. I guess when you're as talented as both these kids are, you have to look at it as a career move.

Reds4Life
04-23-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm still not convinced OJ will ever play college ball. When his senior year starts to wind down he's going to have several shoe companies waving very large checks in his face to play on some tour for them until he's eligible for the NBA.

Caveat Emperor
04-23-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm still not convinced OJ will ever play college ball. When his senior year starts to wind down he's going to have several shoe companies waving very large checks in his face to play on some tour for them until he's eligible for the NBA.

He'd have to come up with a good nickname, though -- like Skip to My Lou or Half Man, Half Amazing.

That's almost as tough as going to college.

WVRed
04-23-2006, 08:12 PM
They could go to Scott County High School for a year if they'd like.

We'll even try and rustle up some sweet Toyota jobs for their relatives. ;)

They could go back to Rose Hill in Ashland. It would be nice to see the public schools boycott them again.:devil:

Chip R
04-23-2006, 08:58 PM

If they transfer we probably will hear about that stuff again.

flyer85
04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Why don't they transfer to a school in Manhattan KS instead of Oak Hill? Huggins has them locked up and ready to go there, doesn't he?Spending a year in the middle of nowhere might convince them KSU isn't too great of a place.

flyer85
04-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm still not convinced OJ will ever play college ball. When his senior year starts to wind down he's going to have several shoe companies waving very large checks in his face to play on some tour for them until he's eligible for the NBA.I heard discussion today that he could play in the NDBL next year(they lowered the age limit), which would mean he could get a big shoe contract right now. Playing HS and college ball will do nothing to further his career and if he wants some money now, he can get his hands on it.

traderumor
04-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Sounds like recruiting violations waiting to happen

WVRed
04-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Sounds like recruiting violations waiting to happen

Walker especially. I'm not going to divulge full specifics, but just understand that before Mayo and Walker went to Cincinnati, Walker was a full grade ahead of Mayo(Walker was in 9th and Mayo was in 8th).

Reds4Life
04-24-2006, 07:12 PM
I heard discussion today that he could play in the NDBL next year(they lowered the age limit), which would mean he could get a big shoe contract right now. Playing HS and college ball will do nothing to further his career and if he wants some money now, he can get his hands on it.

Heard the same, also saw OJ quoted as saying that Sonny Vaccaro does a lot of "non-basketball business" for him. That's interesting, considering Sonny is VP of Reebok/Addias and it just so happens he's very tight with Mick Cronin. It wouldn't suprise me if that is why Huggins is pushing Mayo to transfer to Oak Hill (a Nike school); I doubt he wants OJ around Cincy for a year where Sonny can get in his ear at will and Mick can recruit on a daily basis.

Reds4Life
04-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Just had on 12 news that Mayo has been suspended for 180 days from NCH for a "altercation" with a female student last week.

Guess that's why he's going to transfer. Sounds like he's growing up to be Mr. Wonderful.

WVRed
04-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Just had on 12 news that Mayo has been suspended for 180 days from NCH for a "altercation" with a female student last week.

Guess that's why he's going to transfer. Sounds like he's growing up to be Mr. Wonderful.

http://www.wkrc.com/breaking/story.aspx?content_id=B42101F0-55E0-42C2-8191-6B0CDC2142CD

North College Hill basketball star, OJ Mayo, has been suspended for 180 days, a school board member confirms to Local 12. The suspension follows an alleged confrontation with a female student last week. The six-foot-five junior won The Associated Press state Mister Basketball award for the second straight year.

I hate to see this, since i've followed Mayo probably longer than anyone in Cincinnati, but it looks like he will fit right in with Hugg's Thugs.

RedFanAlways1966
04-25-2006, 08:55 AM

Yep. And what a nice punishment... just let him transfer and play elsewhere as if he did nothing wrong. 180 days of suspension is pretty severe. I doubt that he just had words with this female. And we sometimes wonder why some youthful star athletes end up as troubled men with law problems.

This whole thing is just wrong, wrong, wrong. But who cares about the KID learning right from wrong when he can win ballgames for another team?!? Amazing.

WVRed
04-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Yep. And what a nice punishment... just let him transfer and play elsewhere as if he did nothing wrong. 180 days of suspension is pretty severe. I doubt that he just had words with this female. And we sometimes wonder why some youthful star athletes end up as troubled men with law problems.

This whole thing is just wrong, wrong, wrong. But who cares about the KID learning right from wrong when he can win ballgames for another team?!? Amazing.

I'm wondering if the school system could really do anything else. I mean, yeah, suspend him. Then he just moves and goes to play elsewhere. There is also no guarantee that Oak Hill will take him, but I would say its probable.

He will have a black eye as a result of this, but it won't matter as some schools will set it aside for a chance at winning. If Oak Hill doesn't, somebody else will.

Roy Tucker
04-25-2006, 09:37 AM
On Channel 12 sports last night, they said he either choked or strangled (I forget which) the female student. I know in our school district, you have to do something pretty horrendous to warrant a 180 day suspension.

Something tells me Mayo is not having your normal high school experience.

Chip R
04-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Which came first, the allegations against Mayo or the rumors about transferring?

RedFanAlways1966
04-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm wondering if the school system could really do anything else. I mean, yeah, suspend him. Then he just moves and goes to play elsewhere. There is also no guarantee that Oak Hill will take him, but I would say its probable.

He will have a black eye as a result of this, but it won't matter as some schools will set it aside for a chance at winning. If Oak Hill doesn't, somebody else will.

You are right, WV. It is the whole "system" that stinks in situations like this. It is all about winning... ballgames, not winning at teaching a young man how to behave in society. Teach him that he can do something wrong and just pack it up and be treated like a god elsewhere. I don't want to point fingers at individual schools, but I am sure it would not be hard to find those schools.

beb30
04-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Huggins would be good for him, maybe give him some discipline

Johnny Footstool
04-25-2006, 11:14 AM
If Mayo did strangle a girl, she should press criminal charges.

WVRed
04-25-2006, 11:23 AM

I always used to joke to WVU fans about the cheerleaders planning on a new cheer when Huggins came to town.

Step 1:Put your hands behind the wall and spread'em.
Step 2:Stand back up and put your hands behind your head.
Step 3:Cross your hands behind your back.

For those who don't get it, thats a DUI arrest.:)

RFA, I really want to go on the record and say NCH did this to themselves. I hate to see Mayo turn out this way, given what I have already mentioned. I'm going to be very interested in the Walker-OHSAA hearings, because that will likely determine if there was foul play involved in bringing these two to Cincinnati.

This could make the whole LeBron situation look tame.

LoganBuck
04-25-2006, 04:58 PM

Roy Bright and Donald Little say, "Hi!":thumbup:

Chip R
04-25-2006, 04:59 PM
I think the timing on all this is rather fishy.

Reds4Life
04-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I think the timing on all this is rather fishy.

Welcome to the world of AAU basketball. Sonny Vaccaro didn't get the nickname "The Godfather" because he's an upstanding fellow.

Chip R
04-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the world of AAU basketball. Sonny Vaccaro didn't get the nickname "The Godfather" because he's an upstanding fellow.

I was referring to the suspension more than anything. We hear rumors NCH could be losing their meal tick and then all of a sudden he's suspended for an altercation. If this altercation actually took place and O.J. had not made any noises about going to Oak Hill, you really think NCH would suspend him?

RedFanAlways1966
04-25-2006, 05:26 PM
I was referring to the suspension more than anything. We hear rumors NCH could be losing their meal tick and then all of a sudden he's suspended for an altercation. If this altercation actually took place and O.J. had not made any noises about going to Oak Hill, you really think NCH would suspend him?

The thought is sickening... but we all know better. I cannot say NCH is guilty of anything. But we know these things happen in the real world. Whether it is a 14-year-old posing as a 12-year-old (Little League WS) or HS incidents like this. And the only ones who suffer in the end are the kids themselves. Too bad the "big-shot" coaches do not get it or do not care about it.

Makes ya wonder if good ol' Maurice Clarett ever got away with "stuff" while in HS... and look where he is today.

Roy Tucker
04-25-2006, 06:00 PM
My guess is that Mayo knew this school action was looming and was exploring his options since he knew he was screwed at NCH.

This all reminds me of Dwight Anderson from Dayton Roth in the late 70's. Probably the most talented HS player I ever saw but was pampered from the work go and eventually screwed up his career. IIRC, he went to Kentucky, transferred to USC because of shenanigans, got drafted by the NBA, and had a short pro career. He was a head case at every stop.

WVRed
04-25-2006, 06:09 PM
I cannot say NCH is guilty of anything.

This was posted on Bluegrass Preps. I hope it explains everything.

Walker was last enrolled at Rose Hill as a 9th grader(OJ was in the 8th). He wanted to enroll as an 8th grader but the 8th grade class was full. During the course of the year, Walker continued to express the desire to be held back to the 8th grade(presumably it had something to do with playing on the same AAU team as OJ) but the Rose Hill administration stood by their position that the 8th grade class was full(I believe there was a waiting list at the time for other students wanting to enroll who were on the waiting list before Walker enrolled if memory serves correct). Once Walker realized he couldn't be held back, he then transferred to Cincinnati immediately prior to the All A Tournament in Richmond.

Shortly after the Kentucky high school tournament, Mayo followed. The moves were speculated all season long, except it was Winton Woods, Moeller, or Princeton that was speculated. Nobody even thought of NCH.

That being said, was there a legitimate reason to move Walker back a grade?

WVRed
04-25-2006, 06:10 PM
My guess is that Mayo knew this school action was looming and was exploring his options since he knew he was screwed at NCH.

That about sums it up IMO.

Reds4Life
04-25-2006, 06:29 PM
That about sums it up IMO.

Agree, he knew he was getting the boot and decided to move before the news became public.

WMR
04-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Ahhhh, the Allen Iverson treatment.

WVRed
04-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Mayo may not miss the season after all.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060426/SPT0301/604260377

North College Hill threw a party for its Division III state title-winning basketball team Tuesday night, but star player O.J. Mayo, one of the best high school basketball players in the country, did not attend.

According to Bill Walker, a member of the North College Hill team, Mayo has been suspended from school as a result of getting into a fight.

The suspension was confirmed by two NCH sources and a member of the NCH school board.
ADVERTISEMENT

The sources would not say whether the length of Mayo's suspension has been established. A local TV station reported Monday that Mayo had been suspended for 180 days. That figure, the sources said, is not accurate.

Walker also said the 180-day figure is incorrect.

"He (Mayo) got into a fight and got suspended for 10 days," Walker said. "It wasn't 180 days. I don't know where that came from."

NCH superintendent Gary Gellert and principal Kelly Hughes both said the school cannot comment on student disciplinary matters.

Gellert, Hughes and several other school officials, including athletic director Joe Nickel and head coach Jamie Mahaffey, repeatedly have declined to answer questions about Mayo.

Walker said he expected Mayo back in school before the end of the school year.

As for next season, Mayo is considering a transfer to Oak Hill Academy (Va.). Oak Hill officials are aware of his suspension at NCH and indicated it could impact whether Mayo might be accepted to Oak Hill.

Walker, a junior whose eligibility for next season is under review by the Ohio High School Athletic Association, also stayed away from Tuesday night's celebration.

Nickel would not comment on Mayo, but said Walker stayed home Tuesday night after a reporter had interviewed Walker at school earlier.

"Bill did not come tonight because he knew there would be reporters here, and he said he's tired of dealing with the media," Nickel said.

Tuesday's event, held in the NCH gymnasium, was attended by about 150 NCH fans and was hosted by North College Hill mayor Dan Brooks.

"I don't know the details, but I know (Mayo) is suspended," Brooks said, just before the rally began. "I think there is a lot of misinformation out there about what is going on, but tonight we're here to celebrate the team."

And celebrate they did. Ten NCH players took the basketball court Tuesday night to cheers from the crowd. Chairs were arranged on the basketball court for the players and coaches and cheerleaders. Brooks and NCH City Council members also were seated at chairs on the court.

Several awards and trophies were presented, and the Trojans' 2006 state title trophy - won last month - had a place of honor on a table at midcourt. Brooks and council also passed an ordinance that renamed Kumler Avenue - which runs off Galbraith Road to the high school - as "Trojan Way."

Brooks also referred to the intense media scrutiny NCH's team has received.

The Trojans finished No. 3 nationally in the USA Today poll but are under a national media microscope, with a season of injuries, illnesses and transfer rumors.

"You shouldn't apologize for being good," Brooks said, addressing NCH players as the crowd listened Tuesday. "Be proud of it ... I'm proud of you, and the North College Hill is proud of you."

Mayo and Walker were not the only players who did not show. Starting point guard Damon Butler (ill) and regular forward Andre Evans also were not there, although Evans' mother accepted some awards for her son.

Paul Leary, a senior forward, said the scene was a bit odd without junior superstars Mayo and Walker.

"It's strange that O.J. isn't here," Leary said. "He's always at the big events, right in the middle of things. I don't know what's going on."

Mayo this season won his second consecutive Ohio Mr. Basketball award. He has averaged between 27 and 30 points each of his three seasons at NCH, and is widely rated the No. 1 high school junior player in America.

Walker is generally rated among the top five juniors by most scouts, and this year he averaged 21.7 points while sharing Ohio Division III Player of the Year honors with Mayo. Mayo this year also repeated as a first-team USA Today All-American.

E-mail tgroeschen@enquirer.com, ddow@enquirer.com

KronoRed
04-27-2006, 05:35 PM
/\ Sounds like damage control

Reds4Life
04-27-2006, 05:51 PM
I still think OJ is done at NCH. Huggins probably wants him out of Cincy, away from Cronin and his shoe company friends. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd want UC to take a chance on this guy, all his friends would be here and who knows what kind of trouble he'd get into. I think this is his third (that we know of) suspension from school in the last 2 or 3 years.

WVRed
04-27-2006, 06:19 PM
I still think OJ is done at NCH. Huggins probably wants him out of Cincy, away from Cronin and his shoe company friends. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd want UC to take a chance on this guy, all his friends would be here and who knows what kind of trouble he'd get into. I think this is his third (that we know of) suspension from school in the last 2 or 3 years.

I agree with that statement 100%, although I think UC has virtually no shot of getting him.

I had heard when Mayo played at Rose Hill that the reason he was there was because his mother thought Bill Walker was a bad influence on OJ. Don't know if that is true or not, but it makes for discussion.

Reds4Life
04-27-2006, 06:24 PM
I agree with that statement 100%, although I think UC has virtually no shot of getting him.

I had heard when Mayo played at Rose Hill that the reason he was there was because his mother thought Bill Walker was a bad influence on OJ. Don't know if that is true or not, but it makes for discussion.

I don't think they have a shot at Walker, but I'm not sure about OJ. He seems to have a soft spot for Cincy and mentioned a couple times that UC deserves to have a good program again. He's always on campus too playing pickup games on the courts by the shoe.

How about the Beliein/NC State thing? Man, NC State has become the biggest joke in college basketball.

CrackerJack
04-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Sounds like a typical Huggins recruit.

And yes I am a big UC fan.

WVRed
04-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Well, looks like OJ wont be playing for Oak Hill anytime soon. Kudos to Steve Smith and OHA on this one.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060428/SPT0301/50512012/1062/SPT

Oak Hill turns down Mayo
School recently learned of star's suspension
BY TOM GROESCHEN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

O.J. Mayo, one of the top high school basketball players in the nation, will not be transferring to Oak Hill Academy (Va.) for his senior season, and it remains unclear if he will return to North College Hill.

According to a source, Mayo and those surrounding him, have been told by Oak Hill that the school will not accept him for the 2006-07 season. The source told The Enquirer today that, at the time Mayo visited Oak Hill last week, the school was not aware that Mayo had been suspended by North College Hill.

The source said Oak Hill asked Mayo, during his visit, if he needed to tell them anything more about himself. Mayo did not volunteer details of his suspension to Oak Hill, and Oak Hill officials were displeased to learn two days later of Mayo’s suspension.
ADVERTISEMENT

Therefore, Oak Hill has since told Mayo that the school is no longer an option for him. Oak Hill reportedly wanted to make sure Mayo was not in any more trouble, having known of another reported suspension for fighting before the 2005-06 basketball season, and also of the highly publicized one-game suspension at this year’s state semifinals for missing some school classes.

Oak Hill Academy coach Steve Smith would not comment today when the Enquirer asked about Mayo.

Joe Nickel, NCH athletic director, said Mayo is still enrolled at the school but Nickel said the school is not releasing any information about Mayo or any other student, citing rules regarding students’ privacy.

The source also said Mayo’s suspension might be more than 10 days, but far less than the 180 days another media outlet reported earlier this week.

Bill Walker, Mayo’s fellow NCH junior basketball star, told the Enquirer this week that Mayo had been suspended 10 days for a fight at school.

Mayo has been unavailable for comment.
Dwaine Barnes, Mayo’s legal guardian and AAU coach, has not returned repeated phone messages from the Enquirer in recent weeks.

Oak Hill is a perennial national power, with 17 former players drafted by the NBA in the past 20 years. With a record of 40-1, it finished No. 2 in the USA Today boys’ basketball ratings this season. North College Hill (26-1) finished No. 3, losing only to Oak Hill 88-74 in February at US Bank Arena.

NCH has won two consecutive Ohio Division III championships led by Mayo, who repeated this season as Ohio Mr. Basketball. Mayo, a 6-foot-4 guard, has averaged between 27 and 30 points a game in each of his three varsity seasons at NCH.

Mayo, the No. 1 rated junior by most scouting services, is scheduled to be in Akron tonight , playing for the AAU D-I Greyhounds in the King James Shooting Stars Classic.

bucksfan
04-29-2006, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't want "my program" touching either of these guys. Admittedly I have seen little of them except some of the televised state tourney action on ONN, but the bits I saw, Walker lived up to the talk about him being (for lack of a softer phrase) a punk. OJ did look pretty good, but it was hard for me to discern in those limited viewings, anything that would make me want to put up with waht seems to come along with him. Hopefully they both can get their acts straightened out by someone somewhere.