PDA

View Full Version : Marlins offer Willis to Mets

reds44
04-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Sometime within the last several weeks, the Marlins offered Dontrelle Willis to the Mets for David Wright, according to Newsday.
That wasn't going to work. Willis for Jose Reyes would have been more realistic, though the Marlins now have Hanley Ramirez and the Mets probably would have turned it down anyway. As inexpensive as he is right now, Wright might be the game's most valuable property. Albert Pujols is the only obviously better bet for the next five years, and he'll make $77 million during that time. Apr. 23 - 12:50 pm et
Source: Newsday

Joseph
04-23-2006, 01:29 PM
They are honestly saying Wright is the second best player in the game behind Pujols over the next half decade? Shouldn't the kid do a little something first? He's talented alright, but they've crawled out on a bit of a limb with that one.

Oh wait, NY paper.

membengal
04-23-2006, 01:33 PM
They're not necessarily wrong though. Wright was a baby monster last year, and is growing into a full-fledged grown-up monster this year. He has a shot at a 40/30 type season, even in Shea.

nycredsfan
04-23-2006, 01:36 PM
I don't question what they have to say about Wright, but would the Mets really have turned down a Willis for Reyes offer as the writer suggests they would have. Given the age of that rotation, and the fact that Reyes has more than a little trouble getting on base, I would think that would be a pretty nice offer.

Joseph
04-23-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm not denying he has talent, but there's another 3B in NY who isn't exactly old just yet and he might have something to say about the best player in the game over the next five years [Pujols not withstanding.]

TC81190
04-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Reyes for Willis?

Hell, give 'em Womack, they're essentially the same player.

reds44
04-23-2006, 01:38 PM
The Fish have Cabrerra, I don't think they would deal for Wright.

dougdirt
04-23-2006, 01:46 PM
reds44, you have to remember that Cabrera has played several positions already in the bigs and if they could get Wright, they could move Cabrera back to the OF.

TC81190
04-23-2006, 01:46 PM
The Fish have Cabrerra, I don't think they would deal for Wright.

I do, they'd put Cabrera back in the OF, where they're sorely lacking (Chris Aguila, Reggie Abercrombie)

reds44
04-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I do, they'd put Cabrera back in the OF, where they're sorely lacking (Chris Aguila, Reggie Abercrombie)
Those are CFers. They already have 2 good corner outfielders (Hermida and Willingham)

tts1stros
04-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Wright looks like he'll be good, but for Willis?

Wright = plays in NY = over-hyped. Willis is worth more than just Wright.

Hollcat
04-23-2006, 02:56 PM
They are talking about his production vs what it is costing them for that production.

blumj
04-23-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm not denying he has talent, but there's another 3B in NY who isn't exactly old just yet and he might have something to say about the best player in the game over the next five years [Pujols not withstanding.]
That's why they said "valuable property". That other 3B in NY is really expensive.

Highlifeman21
04-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Those are CFers. They already have 2 good corner outfielders (Hermida and Willingham)

Willingham should be catching for the Marlins. With the strength of Cabrera's arm, he could easily be molded into one of the best RFs of the future with the addition of David Wright. I can't imagine the Mets actually moving him for D. Willis though. I think Willis would get eaten alive by the NY media, and Wright could turn out to be a bust in that FL lineup. Just some food for thought.

Revering4Blue
04-23-2006, 07:33 PM
This rumor has been floating around the internet:

To Mets: Zito

To Athletics: Willis

To Marlins Milledge

Meyer

Unknown player from Mets' organization.

Unless the A's fall out of contention, which seems highly unlikely, Zito will not be dealt. So I guess floating is the operative word here.

cincyinco
04-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Who in their right minds calls Wright over rated?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7382

Looks like a young budding Adam Dunn with a bit less pop, but less K's as well. Look what he did in his FIRST full year.

.306/.388/.523, 42 2b, 27 HR, 102 RBI, 99 R, 17SB.

I'd take that ANY DAY. And lets see how old is he? 23? The kid is an absolute stud. The fact that he plays 3b, and plays it pretty well makes him even more valuable. I agree, behind Pujols he's probably the most valuable player in the game.

Topcat
04-24-2006, 03:48 AM
I would trade EE and kearns for Willis big time without blinking. Reason Number ! he is a stud pitcher , reason number 2 in a flip deal the reds could get 3 Huge top propsect pitchers.

KronoRed
04-24-2006, 04:29 AM
If 3 top prospects can be had then the Marlins will get them, EE/Kearns won't come near what the Marlins will want.