PDA

View Full Version : Starting Rotation....not that far off??

JohhnyBench1001
04-23-2006, 06:45 PM
As of right now this is probably the best starting rotation the Reds have had since 99..........I know that's like comparing a skunk to the aroma arising from a gas station restroom. We have 3 guys that are fairly young, and legitimate MLB pitchers in Arroyo, Harang, and Claussen (although I being optimistic on that one). The problem imo is that we have no true stud # 1 ace, and therefore those guys who should be a 3,4,5 are our 1,2,3. If we had a D-Train (just throwing his name in there because of the rumors) as our 1 and then follow that up with those 3 then fellas that's not a bad rotation. Granted we are stuck with Milton/Williams/Wilson at the backend of the rotation, but IF Milton was ever healthy he's a pretty good 5. Imo the starting rotation is light years ahead of where it was 2 years ago when we had Wilson as our 1, and 4 bums that weren't MLB pitchers behind him. At least now we have guys who actually belong in the "big show". If we were able to aquire or develop a true #1 stud, and upgrade the bullpen (which is still a horrid mess) than we could be competitive in the next year or 2.....jmho.

Cyclone792
04-23-2006, 06:52 PM
One good start does not magically cure the rotation's problem of being ... lousy.

Consider ...

Rotation IP = 108.1 innings
Rotation K/9 = 6.90
Rotation BB/9 = 2.49
Rotation HR/9 = 1.99
Rotation K/BB = 2.77
Rotation dERA = 5.24
Rotation ERA = 5.57

These arms have a long, long way to go, and they need to figure out how to keep the ball in the yard.

Falls City Beer
04-23-2006, 06:55 PM
One good start does not magically cure the rotation's problem of being ... lousy.

Consider ...

Rotation IP = 108.1 innings
Rotation K/9 = 6.90
Rotation BB/9 = 2.49
Rotation HR/9 = 1.99
Rotation K/BB = 2.77
Rotation dERA = 5.24
Rotation ERA = 5.57

These arms have a long, long way to go, and they need to figure out how to keep the ball in the yard.

Two members of the rotation will probably improve considerably to even themselves out, and two won't in a million years.

Heath
04-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Unless Elizardo Ramierez becomes Juan Marichal and Darrell May morphs into Sandy Koufax post 1961, I agree with Cyclone.

The Nats started out 50-32 and thumbed noses at Raisor's Pythag last year. While, I enjoy the Reds, and am a life-long fan, the words "career norms" and "warm summer nights" keep me from believing the word "contender".

But, hey, enjoy it while its lasts!

flyer85
04-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Hope springs eternal.

Sea Ray
04-23-2006, 10:21 PM
As of right now this is probably the best starting rotation the Reds have had since 99..........I know that's like comparing a skunk to the aroma arising from a gas station restroom. We have 3 guys that are fairly young, and legitimate MLB pitchers in Arroyo, Harang, and Claussen (although I being optimistic on that one). The problem imo is that we have no true stud # 1 ace, and therefore those guys who should be a 3,4,5 are our 1,2,3. If we had a D-Train (just throwing his name in there because of the rumors) as our 1 and then follow that up with those 3 then fellas that's not a bad rotation. Granted we are stuck with Milton/Williams/Wilson at the backend of the rotation, but IF Milton was ever healthy he's a pretty good 5. Imo the starting rotation is light years ahead of where it was 2 years ago when we had Wilson as our 1, and 4 bums that weren't MLB pitchers behind him. At least now we have guys who actually belong in the "big show". If we were able to aquire or develop a true #1 stud, and upgrade the bullpen (which is still a horrid mess) than we could be competitive in the next year or 2.....jmho.

I tend to agree with you that this rotation is a lot better than last year and although we do lack a stud ace, I think Harang is a legit #2. What he did today under those conditions is what stud pitchers do. He earlier outdueled Cy Young award winner Cris Carpenter in a pitching duel of #1s. He has a 93 MPH fastball with movement and he gives you innings. I agree he's no Zambrano or Oswalt but he's an awfully good #2. I thought the rotation was looking pretty good until Milton went down. We had a huge hole at # but a lot of teams do. If Milton comes back in 3-4 weeks healthy, the rotation will be fine. If I'm Krivsky I'm more worried about the bullpen