PDA

View Full Version : Womack to be released? (via Sportsline)

tts1stros
04-23-2006, 10:15 PM
From their "Weekend Buzz":
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9392407

He's at Kinko's updating his resume: When Cincinnati activates Ken Griffey Jr. from the disabled list on Friday, the Reds are expected to release second baseman Tony Womack.

Maybe this is the 100th time this has been posted, but I can't find it if it is. Look at the bottom of the article.

marcshoe
04-23-2006, 10:16 PM
It wouldn't surprise me, especially if the Reds pick up Cody Ross.

KronoRed
04-23-2006, 10:18 PM
We can only hope.

reds44
04-23-2006, 10:47 PM
We can only hope.
Yes I agree.

I think it will be Womack, what a trade by Dan'O.

The Baumer
04-23-2006, 10:53 PM
It's funny how much of an effect a decent GM has on the make up and outlook of a ball club. If this were last year Womack would be coddled and given opportunity after opportunity to shine. However, Krivsky seems to understand that the devlishly sly and handsome Mack daddy needs to go- now.

Sea Ray
04-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Yes I agree.

I think it will be Womack, what a trade by Dan'O.

Has anyone out there ever seen a GM worse than Dan O in evaluating talent? As I'm watching Chris Reitsma tonight on ESPN and he continues to contribute to the bullpen of a contending team, I am once again reminded of how poor a GM O'Brien was. To Krivsky's credit he has quickly eliminated a lot of OB's guys and yes I'm sure Womack will be gone very soon. Look at the guys OB thought were "talented"...Milton, Bong, Nelson, Ortiz, Lidle, Womack, Ramono, the list goes on and on. Incredible...

WMR
04-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Was Obie the worst GM of all time?

He's gotta be in the conversation, I'd think.

IslandRed
04-23-2006, 11:05 PM
If the Ross trade happens in the next few days, unless the player the Dodgers get is on the 25-man roster (unlikely), I wouldn't be surprised if Womack was released then. Which would make McCracken odd man out when Griffey returns from the DL.

GOREDSGO32
04-23-2006, 11:18 PM
I can't believe Womack has an absolute zero trade value. The Reds should be able to trade him to get SOMETHING. It's not like he's absolutely terrible.

KronoRed
04-23-2006, 11:26 PM
It's not like he's absolutely terrible.
It's as close as it can get.

GOREDSGO32
04-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Well jeez it was just two years ago he was VERY instrumental in getting St Louis to the WS. Last year he had a lot of injuries and stuff. It's not like he's a career .200 batter or something.

deltachi8
04-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Well jeez it was just two years ago he was VERY instrumental in getting St Louis to the WS. Last year he had a lot of injuries and stuff. It's not like he's a career .200 batter or something.

no, that would be his OBP...or close to it.

TW is one of the very worst position players in the game.

savafan
04-24-2006, 02:27 AM
Why wait, release him yesterday.

WMR
04-24-2006, 02:43 AM
day before before yesterday.

Did anyone see that Seinfeld where George went all "Jedi Mind Trick" on Steinbrenner???

Maybe we can get him to take Womack back...

"This is the second baseman you've been looking for."

"HEY! George, this new kid, Womack, how'd we let that talent go! Get the Reds on the phone, Costanza!!!!! And I mean YESTERDAYYYYY!!! (Larry David Steinbrenner voice)

Sabo Fan
04-24-2006, 03:14 AM
Was Obie the worst GM of all time?

He's gotta be in the conversation, I'd think.

O'Brien did more to hinder the success of this franchise in two years than any GM I have ever seen in baseball. Maybe it's because I follow the Reds so closely and every move is scrutinized, but I have to think that they're hasn't been anyone worse in the last 15 years, with the possible exception of those who have run the Royals over that time period.

It's sad when you can say that a GM who would have done absolutely nothing other than make the necessary disabled list and call-up decisions for two years would have been a significant upgrade over DanO.

smith288
04-24-2006, 08:50 AM
The royals had a long time period to suck it up... DanO took approx 2 years to "royal" us.

Krivsky appears to know the sport is baseball whereas DanO thought it was cricket i think.

Heath
04-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Was Quentin McCracken a DanO move or a WayneK move?

I'm losin' it.

MattyHo4Life
04-24-2006, 08:57 AM
I can't believe Womack has an absolute zero trade value. The Reds should be able to trade him to get SOMETHING. It's not like he's absolutely terrible.

Believe it. Womack has had zero trade value for years. The Cardinals gave up nothing for him a few years ago. The Yankees were lucky to get anything for him at all. I'm hoping the Cardinals stay away from him if he is released.

scounts22
04-24-2006, 08:59 AM

I'm losin' it.

Hey, don't worry about it. All of our scrappy players are becoming one in the same. There's too many to keep track of. ;)

And, to answer your question, I'm pretty sure he was a Kriv move.

redsmetz
04-24-2006, 09:18 AM

I'm losin' it.

He was one of Wayne K's first signings. I'm cool with the McCracken signing. He's a good guy to have coming off the bench.

Johnny Footstool
04-24-2006, 09:32 AM
It's funny to remember how some people heralded DanO when he was hired. The rationale was that he couldn't be any worse than JimBo.

Wheelhouse
04-24-2006, 09:38 AM
I actually don't blame OB for Reitsma--I blame him for not getting more for him. The guy did need a change of scenery at the time. The Reds pitching culture on the team was so bad when he was traded (see the mentality of Reitsma close buddy Danny Graves), and he had been so misused by Bob Boone (granted Miley was the manager at the trade) that I did not think the young guy could develop properly with the Reds. He's had the best pitching culture with Atlanta, and still he's not "lights out", but he's developed into a good pitcher with the help of good circumstances. Hopefully the Reds pitching culture is coming around.

Heath
04-24-2006, 09:52 AM
It's funny to remember how some people heralded DanO when he was hired. The rationale was that he couldn't be any worse than JimBo.

That's an honest assessment. The other part is he was so "anti-Bowden".

RBA
04-24-2006, 10:01 AM
I think the improvement in the GM slot is a reflection of the new ownership not to imepede the GM and that includes removing John Allen from the equation on the baseball operations side of the house.

kbrake
04-24-2006, 10:05 AM
I think a big part of this whole Womack thing is Narron needs to be given some credit. I have been critical of Narron in almost every instance possible, but I do think if this was last year and Womack was playing for Miley he would still be playing. Who knows maybe it came down from above because Phillips is Krivsky's guy and Womack was DanO's. Since the first week Narron has not let Womack even sniff playing time and I think it should be noted that he has handled this very well. Also might be that Phillips has forced Narron's hand by hitting the cover off the ball, ok now I dont know even know what I started this about, maybe Narron has just got lucky and deserves no credit. I dont know what to think anymore. I just tied myself up in circles. :help:

BRM
04-24-2006, 10:08 AM
I agree with you kbrake. I honestly thought Narron was going to play Womack regularly for at least one month, maybe even two. I'm happy I was wrong on that one.

westofyou
04-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Sometimes a player is sooooooo over that even the expectation that he'll get time vanishes.

Terry Pendleton
Vince Coleman
Ruban Sierra

All wore pinstripes in teh 90's and scared most with their plat before they were sent away.

The sheer fact that Sierra still plays is one of the most stupifying things to occur, he looked so done in the late 90's that it wasn't funny.

traderumor
04-24-2006, 10:23 AM
I think the improvement in the GM slot is a reflection of the new ownership not to imepede the GM and that includes removing John Allen from the equation on the baseball operations side of the house.How far has JA been removed? That's the first time in eons I've seen his name come up on the board.

remdog
04-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Just remember that Krivsky was John Allen's choice until Lindner stepped in and picked O'Brian.

Rem

registerthis
04-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Obie was an awful GM, no doubt.

But watching what Bowden has been doing to the Nats really makes me think that he and Obie would be neck-and-neck in the Worst GM competition.

Trading Wilkerson for Soriano, trading for Brian lawrence without doing an MRI, letting a very affordable Esteban Loaiza walk away from a team in desperate need of pitching....it does make one wonder.

redsmetz
04-24-2006, 10:33 AM
How far has JA been removed? That's the first time in eons I've seen his name come up on the board.

He is completely out of the baseball operations and is solely on the finance and business operations side, as I understand it. And frankly, I think that is where John Allen's strenght lies. I think we're going to ultimately see both a winning and profitable baseball operation in the long run.

Sea Ray
04-24-2006, 10:53 AM
I actually don't blame OB for Reitsma--I blame him for not getting more for him.

You can't separate the two. No one's saying that Reitsma was an untouchable but if you're going to trade him you've got to do better than Nelson and Bong. That's what GMs do...get talented players in return for your talent.

Sea Ray
04-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Obie was an awful GM, no doubt.

But watching what Bowden has been doing to the Nats really makes me think that he and Obie would be neck-and-neck in the Worst GM competition.

Trading Wilkerson for Soriano, trading for Brian lawrence without doing an MRI, letting a very affordable Esteban Loaiza walk away from a team in desperate need of pitching....it does make one wonder.

Bowden had decent skills at evaluating hitting talent. His eye for pitching is horrible and is why he fails as a GM.

Wheelhouse
04-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Very true RedsMetz. Just saying that I would have been looking to trade Reitsma at the time as well...

columbusbrian
04-24-2006, 11:05 AM
The look from the 2B situation is that Krivsky and Narron are on the same page in a very positive way. I get the impression that if Krivsky had come to Narron and said I can get this guy Phillips for next to nothing what do you think? And Narron's response was, I think Tony Wolmack is going to be fine and dandy for us at Second, you'd have Wolmack. Same goes in reverse. Kriv and Narron seem to be working well in plastering over the teams short comings while getting lucky on the strengths. Arroyo and Philips look to be on in the end, very good trades at worst, and no one expects the moves to stop.

I have also been very happy to see the release of Timo along with the demotion of Kata the position of Sanchez in AA. It was worrying when these guys were picked up. But it also looks like Krivsky knows what he's doing.

Johnny Footstool
04-24-2006, 11:05 AM
The sheer fact that Sierra still plays is one of the most stupifying things to occur, he looked so done in the late 90's that it wasn't funny.

Chemistry, I'll bet. Rememeber, Sierra bulked up suddenly in the early 90's, plus he played in Oakland.

Johnny Footstool
04-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Bowden had decent skills at evaluating hitting talent. His eye for pitching is horrible and is why he fails as a GM.

Bowden had a knack in his early days for finding gems in the scrap heap. Pete Schourek, Pete Harnisch, and Elmer Dessens come to mind. He even got one good season out of Jimmy Haynes.

Unfortunately, that knack left him in the 00s, and the highway was littered with Brian Moehlers, Jimmy Andersons, and Ryan Dempsters.

He did have an eye for high-priced talent -- he tried to acquire Bartolo Colon and Brad Penny only to have the deals shot down by Allen/Lindner.

dsmith421
04-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Krivsky appears to know the sport is baseball whereas DanO thought it was cricket i think.

No one pitches to contact in cricket.

registerthis
04-24-2006, 11:25 AM

Then why the Wilk - Soriano deal?

A good evaluator of hitting would have realized that Soriano's power was likely to diminish playing in cavernous RFK, and that Wilk's ability to get on base provided the club its only legitimate leadoff man. Add that to the fact that Soriano's contract was essentially four time's Wilk's, and the whole 2B-LF fiasco, and you really do wonder what Bowden was thinking.

registerthis
04-24-2006, 11:26 AM
I have also been very happy to see the release of Timo along with the demotion of Kata the position of Sanchez in AA. It was worrying when these guys were picked up. But it also looks like Krivsky knows what he's doing.

Another Vermonter on the board, eh? Maybe I won't be the only one wearing a Reds hat walking down Church St. this summer, huh?

columbusbrian
04-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Register-

Good to know your up in the Northcountry. Nothing makes me more ill then knowing I'm surrounded by all these worthless Sox fans. Don't know if you were here then, but the rioting after the 04 season was about the saddest state of idiocy I've ever seen.

redsmetz
04-24-2006, 12:01 PM

Keep in mind that Timo wasn't released. We sold him to the Cardinals. I think stockpiling these older guys down in the minors leaves the Reds with loads of flexibility either in trades when teams have needs or in cash. I don't know how much the Reds got, but I'm guessing it was at the very least the cost of a waivers claim (I think that's about 50G's). That money helps somewhere. We got Timo for nothing and got cash for him. Maybe Wayne's running a scrap yard down there (Yo, Wayne, ya got a Trammie for a 66 Chevy?). It all helps.

NYMoose
04-24-2006, 12:39 PM
columbus/register I'm also up here, just across the lake

M2
04-24-2006, 12:47 PM
columbus/register I'm also up here, just across the lake

I came within a hair of moving up to Burlington last month. Ww went up, loved it, taked to an agent and then got back to Boston and decided we didn't want to leave.

toledodan
04-24-2006, 12:52 PM
He was one of Wayne K's first signings. I'm cool with the McCracken signing. He's a good guy to have coming off the bench.

i agree. he made a catch in center last night that freel or griffey would have never got to. he should never start but could go and play defense late in the game for dunn or griffey if game situations warrant.

Mr Red
04-24-2006, 01:12 PM
While I'm not making a move to defend O'brian......he was also at the mercy of Carl Lindner. I don't think Lindner should be getting any free passes on the direction this club took after he became the primary owner.

kbrake
04-24-2006, 01:15 PM
WOMACK GONE. CODY ROSS acquired.

pedro
04-24-2006, 01:22 PM
I came within a hair of moving up to Burlington last month. Ww went up, loved it, taked to an agent and then got back to Boston and decided we didn't want to leave.

It was the socks and sandals wasn't it?

Sea Ray
04-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Then why the Wilk - Soriano deal?

A good evaluator of hitting would have realized that Soriano's power was likely to diminish playing in cavernous RFK, and that Wilk's ability to get on base provided the club its only legitimate leadoff man. Add that to the fact that Soriano's contract was essentially four time's Wilk's, and the whole 2B-LF fiasco, and you really do wonder what Bowden was thinking.

What's to complain about regarding his power and offense? He's hitting over .300 with 6 HRs in 18 games.

I agree he missed the boat when evaluating his contract and what position he had planned for him but there's no denying that Soriano is an offensive force in that lineup as we'll see tonight. Bowden knows offensive talent when he sees it and this guy has it.

Sea Ray
04-24-2006, 02:15 PM
While I'm not making a move to defend O'brian......he was also at the mercy of Carl Lindner. I don't think Lindner should be getting any free passes on the direction this club took after he became the primary owner.

Lindner was a terrible owner but that had nothing to do with the awful deals OB made. Lindner didn't tell him that Nelson and Bong were can't miss prospects. He didn't say go ask Eric Milton's agent how much money he wants or sign that Womack guy.

Marge Schott showed us that you can win with a terrible owner but you can't win with a terrible GM.

westofyou
04-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Marge Schott showed us that you can win with a terrible owner but you can't win with a terrible GM.I thought she showed us how to win on the residue of a previous regimes bounty myself.

That and how to burn 30 years of hard work down in a decade.

51roscoe
04-24-2006, 02:22 PM

I agree. Lindner can't be blameless for the direction (South) the Reds went.

NYMoose
04-24-2006, 03:24 PM
It was the socks and sandals wasn't it?

We see lots of that in the summer here from folks north of the border.