PDA

View Full Version : Reds scouting Eastside High School pitcher Keith Campbell out of South Carolina

savafan
04-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Noticed this blurb in an article. Any draft watchers know how good Keith Campbell is considered?

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/14408164.htm

By SETH EMERSON
semerson@thestate.com

Eastside 7, A.C. Flora 5

It may be a play that alters the season for two teams. Or it may have only made one team’s task harder.

Either way, it was dramatic.

With the bases loaded and two outs, Eastside was clinging to a 7-5 lead Saturday afternoon at A.C. Flora in a winner’s bracket game of the S.C. High School League Class 3A district playoffs.

Eastside pitcher Adam Polan let a curveball hang over the plate and A.C. Flora’s Spencer Harris lined it back at the mound. It glanced off Polan’s glove and behind him, but the pitcher dove backwards and caught it inches from the ground.

“I made a bad pitch. I kinda had to make a great play to save the game,” said Polan, who picked up the save for his efforts.

A.C. Flora coach Andy Hallett said if Polan had not made the play, the game would have been tied.

“That’s our fastest guy on second,” Hallett said. “He’s scoring. We’re 7-7.”

A.C. Flora, which entered as the third-ranked team in 3A, now must win at home Monday against either Lugoff-Elgin or Clover, then win twice at Eastside — ranked No. 5 — two days later.

Asked how much the loss hurts, Hallett said: “Tons. You’ve gotta win three games now to get to the Upper State finals. So you’re talking about a ton of pitching that you’ve gotta burn.”

Hallett’s frustration was made worse by the fact his hitters did so well against Eastside starter Keith Campbell, who was being watched by a Cincinnati Reds scout. A.C. Flora was down 7-1 entering the sixth, when it scored three times and chased Campbell with two singles to start the seventh.

Normally the five runs would have been enough for A.C. Flora ace Logan Munson. But two key errors cost the Falcons.

In the first inning, both of Eastside’s runs came after an infield error with two outs. And in the fourth inning, A.C. Flora catcher Will Lewis overthrew first base after a third strike hit the ground with one out; four batters later, Eastside’s Justin Brewer hit a grand slam.

Brewer added a solo shot in the third inning.

“This is huge,” Brewer said. “We got put out by this team last year. We’ll probably have to play them again Wednesday. But at our place now.”

Reach Emerson at (803) 771-8676.

W: Keith Campbell. L: Logan Munson. S: Adam Polan. Hitters: E— Justin Brewer 2-4, 2 HR, 5 RBIs; Will Callaway 2-4, 2 runs. A.C.— Kyle Strasburger 3-4, run, RBI; Mo Holler 1-3, 2 runs, RBI; Munson 1-3, run, 2 RBIs.

cincyinco
04-24-2006, 03:36 AM
He's not a top 50 prep according to baseball america. we may be scouting him, but more than likely isn't going to be a top pick..

From baseball america:

According to scouts, the high school draft class of 2006 is proving to be less talented than they had hoped. Most of the players targeted as potential high first rounders before the season have failed to live up to expectations. The lone exception appears to be lefthander Clayton Kershaw..

alexad
04-24-2006, 10:38 PM
I am just glad the Reds are out scouting somebody. It appears they are not just scouting the top three rounds, but looking for a gem in the middle rounds. Again it is great to see a story about a Reds scout out somewhere in the country trying to find talent.:thumbup:

StillFunkyB
04-26-2006, 07:00 AM
I am just glad the Reds are out scouting somebody. It appears they are not just scouting the top three rounds, but looking for a gem in the middle rounds. Again it is great to see a story about a Reds scout out somewhere in the country trying to find talent.:thumbup:

I was thinking the same thing, at least they are out scouting. For awhile there I was convinced the Reds didn't have scouts.