PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers--Reds Trade Talks?

Krusty
04-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Taken from today's LA Times:

Colletti declined to comment on a report on his team's website that the Dodgers were close to trading outfielder Cody Ross to the Cincinnati Reds. The Dodgers designated Ross for assignment last week. The Dodgers lead the majors with 20 stolen bases. The last time they were first in the National League in steals was 1970, when Willie Davis had 38, Maury Wills 28 and Manny Mota 11. ... First baseman Nomar Garciaparra and center fielder Kenny Lofton got the day off. Closer Eric Gagne is scheduled to start his throwing program Friday, three weeks after elbow surgery. June 1 remains a rough target date for his return. Luc Robitaille and Rick Monday threw out the ceremonial first pitches, Robitaille in honor of his recent retirement from the Kings and Monday in honor of the 30th anniversary of his rescue of an American flag from protesters trying to set it afire in the Dodger Stadium outfield. The hockey player threw a strike; Monday missed high and outside.

RedFanAlways1966
04-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Cody Ross straight up for Tony Womack... just do it! :D

Heath
04-24-2006, 08:54 AM
That might get rid of McCracken.

Chip R
04-24-2006, 09:21 AM
If only we could get Odalis Perez in that deal. :lol:

Red Leader
04-24-2006, 09:42 AM
If only we could get Odalis Perez in that deal. :lol:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

..and Broxton.

Hmm, let's see: Cody Ross, Odalis Perez, and Broxton for Jason LaRue, Ryan Freel and McCracken.

yeah, that'll work.

max venable
04-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Remember when JimBo was collecting guys named Ruben (Mateo, Rivera, Sierra). Maybe Kriv is on a quest to collect guys named Ross (Cody, David...).

Heath
04-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Good snooping Krusty.

Slider
04-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Interesting...I went to MLB.com and searched for Ross to find out a little about him. He turned up on a Cincinnati Reds page with an LA hat on...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=425496

I guess it's a done deal? Who went back to LA...PTBNL ?

OnBaseMachine
04-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Interesting...I went to MLB.com and searched for Ross to find out a little about him. He turned up on a Cincinnati Reds page with an LA hat on...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=425496

I guess it's a done deal? Who went back to LA...PTBNL ?

Yes, a PTBNL. And Womack was DFA...check Reds Live for more information.

bigredmachine1976
04-25-2006, 09:11 AM
I thought this would be getting more talk. Question is what will they do when Griffey comes back. The new guy has no options.

MattyHo4Life
04-25-2006, 09:17 AM
I thought this would be getting more talk. Question is what will they do when Griffey comes back. The new guy has no options.

It is getting a lot of talk here...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45341

TeamBoone
04-25-2006, 03:20 PM
So says John Fay:

With Womack gone, there's no easy move to get Ken Griffey Jr. back on the roster Friday when he's eligible to be activated from the disabled list.

"Yeah, it'll be a tough move," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "We'll deal with that when Junior's ready to play."

If Griffey's not ready by Friday - but indications are he will - he'll be ready shortly thereafter.

That fact that Ross is out of options is why the Dodgers designated him for assignment.

There's a possibility Ross could be the player to go when Griffey returns, but it would seem unlikely the Reds would do that just a few days after trading for him.

If not Ross, who goes?

There are three possibilities:

The Reds go with 11 pitchers. "Doubtful," Narron said. "But a possibility."

The Reds designate Quinton McCracken, the other extra outfielder. McCracken is the last position player on the depth chart, along with Ross. But McCracken is a switch-hitter with a career average of .280 against right- handers. He's also a proven pinch-hitter (he had 19 pinch-hits for Arizona last year).

The Reds go with two catchers. That doesn't seem likely given all the good things Narron has said about third catcher David Ross.

Of course, the other possibility is the Reds will make another trade.

Krivsky has shown no reluctance to make moves.

Click here for the entire article:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060425/COL09/604250379/1071/SPT04

traderumor
04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
There's a possibility Ross could be the player to go when Griffey returns, but it would seem unlikely the Reds would do that just a few days after trading for him.I would imagine there is a team dumb enough to trade for a player with the knowledge that he will take up a roster space when another player is due to come off the DL and then cut him later in the week, but is that really enough of a possibility to put that in print? Fay strikes again.

flyer85
04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Barring a trade I am guessing that QM is getting pretty uncomfortable. The two other potential candidates (the Ross Boys) were both acquired in trades making it unlikely the Reds will attempt to pass them through waivers.

Chip R
04-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I thought the title of this article was interesting. :lol:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060424/SPT04/304240019/1071

baseballPAP
04-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Prediction......
Ross to the Indians as the PTBNL in the Phillips deal.
Or, is it a set in stone list that the Indians had at the time of the agreement that will be used there? If so, QM is probably a goner.....

Heath
04-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Here's a vote for McCracken-or a DFA or a minor league assignment (that's what he signed in ST)

alexad
04-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Prediction......
Ross to the Indians as the PTBNL in the Phillips deal.
Or, is it a set in stone list that the Indians had at the time of the agreement that will be used there? If so, QM is probably a goner.....

I never thought about Ross being the PTBNL. Good point.

If you know Ron Janey tell him I said hello while you roam around Logan.

baseballPAP
04-26-2006, 04:54 AM
I never thought about Ross being the PTBNL. Good point.

If you know Ron Janey tell him I said hello while you roam around Logan.
Haven't seen Ron in years..... :)