PDA

View Full Version : Reds on Baseball tonight

Reds1
04-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Finally, the Reds get some love. They not only talked about Phillips, but talked about the 1-2 punch from Freel and FeLo. They even showed how Dunn had a productive out moving a runner to 3rd tonight instead of a SO. They were talking about the whole mindset of the Reds and manufacturing runs and not just going for dingers. They also talked about the agressive baserunning messing with opposing pitchers heads. It was actuall a decent segment. They finished up talking about Phillips work ethic and how he is putting in the work and it's showing and they were telling all youngsters to follow his ethic. Pretty sad when I can write a thread that ESPN actually talked about the Redlegs.
Night all.

Go Reds. Good job EZ. They even said he had a great baseball name.

jhiller21
04-25-2006, 02:49 AM
It's nice to hear a little positive Reds news from BBTN.

What's with G.G. calling Elizardaro Ramirez "Easy E"?

Edwin is Easy E... Elizardo is the Lizard. Follow our lead ESPN.

The Baumer
04-25-2006, 03:20 AM
I caught the segment. It was pretty cool. I don't think Dunn was purposefully trying to hit a weak bouncer to the first baseman though. At least not that weak. He seemed to chop the ball or get jammed if I remember correctly.

bengalred
04-25-2006, 06:36 AM
Oh well, if Dunn does anything like that, it is reason to celebrate.

zombie-a-go-go
04-25-2006, 06:39 AM

Huh. Never knew George was an OG. *snortle*

HalMorrisRules
04-25-2006, 08:53 AM
I watched BBTN last night very curious to see if they would "find the time" to discuss the Reds since it was a very light schedule and the Yanks and Sox werent playing. It just seems that the attitude is "sure they are 13-7 but its not like they are going to last." Which is all the more reason to talk about them now.

flyer85
04-25-2006, 08:55 AM
The Reds offense is really good, no doubt about and productive outs aren't the reason. Of course, how well they do will depend on the pitching.

big boy
04-25-2006, 08:55 AM

Edwin is Easy E... Elizardo is the Lizard. Follow our lead ESPN.

I thought he was saying EZ.

Reds1
04-25-2006, 09:12 AM
The Reds offense is really good, no doubt about and productive outs aren't the reason. Of course, how well they do will depend on the pitching.

Actually, they have been more patient and have had some productive out. Not great, but improvement over previous years. But of course the Reds have started off fast in the past and it will be all about pitching.

kbrake
04-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Actually, they have been more patient and have had some productive out. Not great, but improvement over previous years. But of course the Reds have started off fast in the past and it will be all about pitching.

I dont see how that is an impact on why they are off to a better start this last season. This team scored runs fine last year and the continue to do the same this year, the only change has been pitching which just needs to find consistincy if this team wants to continue to win.

BigDonkey44
04-25-2006, 09:58 AM
We will contend and be right there in this division as long as the Pitching holds up. Period. The light schedule is only going to help us.

smith288
04-25-2006, 10:03 AM
We will contend and be right there in this division as long as the Pitching holds up. Period. The light schedule is only going to help us.
We will contend as long as we continue to win...

(thanks captain obvious! ;) )

Reds1
04-25-2006, 10:49 AM
I dont see how that is an impact on why they are off to a better start this last season. This team scored runs fine last year and the continue to do the same this year, the only change has been pitching which just needs to find consistincy if this team wants to continue to win.

I think we've done a little better vs. good pitchers. Like the game against Carpenter. We manufactured a couple runs and then won that one. In the past we might have got shut out. We always scored, but then good pitchers got us out. The little things and getting runs done the whole year will get you an extra 5-10 wins. That's all. Our pitching is still very inconsistant. Our defense needs to firm up too!

Az Red
04-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Anyone able to dig up some stats on how the Reds do against hard throwers vice soft pitchers like Maddux? It seems early this year they are having a harder time against soft tossers.

Bring on the 'Stros and lets have a litmus test !!!

TeamBoone
04-25-2006, 02:44 PM
You might know. For the first time this year, I watched BBT Sunday night and the Reds got about 30 seconds for their 11-0 blowout of the Brewers. Didn't bother last night. Go figure.

I found this little "gem" online. It was posted yesterday but written when the Reds had 11 wins (now 13), before Harang had that nice outing on 3 days' rest Sunday (ragged on him rather harshly to suit me), and before Womack was DFA. He did gush a bit about Bronson Arroyo, forgetting that he's had one bad outing as well.

It's kind of a "wait and see so I can say I told you so" kind of piece. Not too flattering from some newpaper in Lima, Ohio.

04/24/2006
Reds better, but still pretenders

CINCINNATI — All signs point to mirage.

twolfrum@limanews.com

As fun and nostalgic as it has been, that’s what the Cincinnati Reds’ fast start looks like.

It looked like that before the Brewers threw their launch party with Brandon Claussen as the guest of dishonor on Saturday.

Even at 11-6, the clouds seemed to be gathering just as they were on Opening Day, when the Cubs didn’t pretty much the same thing to staff ace Aaron Harang.

No pitching.
No defense.
No chance.

These truths are self-evident over a 162-game schedule.

But before we get to all that, there are a few things the first 19 games have shown us that give hope for better days at Great American Ball Park. First of all, there are the performances of players acquired by new General Manager Wayne Krivsky. Krivsky has brought in Bronson Arroyo, Scott Hatteberg, David Ross and Brandon Phillips since CEO Bob Castellini handed him the reins on Feb. 8.

Arroyo is a bulldog. He has been the only starting pitcher to give the Reds consistent innings, and he has been spectacular on occasion. Arroyo’s 3-0 record and 3.04 earned-run average pop out, especially when placed against the rest of the rotation’s ERAs: 4.55, 6.50, 6.75 and 10.50.

Hatteberg, a first baseman, and Ross, a backup catcher, have shrugged off slow starts. Through Saturday, Hatteberg was hitting .310, Ross .261.

And what can you say about Phillips, the Cleveland castoff who has done it all since joining the team? His run-producing pace can’t continue, but it’s been fun to watch.

By the way, the most disappointing new Reds are pitcher Dave Williams and bench player Tony Womack. What do they have in common? They were former GM Dan O’Brien acquisitions, which explains why they play like, well, Dan O’Brien acquisitions.

Is anybody else tired of hearing manager Jerry Narron repeat that Williams won 10 games for Pittsburgh last year, so he must be decent? He’s not, and whom do we see about getting our Sean Casey back?

Another bright spot has been the Reds’ improvement in the area of fundamentals, at least offensive fundamentals. They’re aggressive on the basepaths, and, with the addition of Phillips and Ryan Freel’s consistent presence in the lineup, they have decent speed.

Cincinnati still has overwhelming power, but it also has shown the capability to win low-scoring games with timely hitting and run manufacturing. In fact, I swear I saw Adam Dunn, he of the two sacrifice flies this year, actually hit a grounder to the right side of the infield with a runner on second base and no outs.

Finally, there is the emergence of closer-in-waiting Todd Coffey. Coffey’s stuff has looked nasty so far, as his 0.96 ERA through Saturday attests. It’s still unclear if the 25-year-old has what it takes to close games, but he has escaped tight spots. His strikeout of Jim Edmonds with the bases loaded during the Reds’ 1-0 win over the Cardinals on April 14 was impressive.

Now, back to the signs that indicate this is not the year the Reds contend. Here they are in rapid fire, so as not to dwell on the negatives.

There is one consistent starting pitcher.
There is one very elderly bullpen.
The April schedule has been kind.

Ken Griffey Jr. has another mysterious injury no one wants to talk about.

Left fielder Dunn and third baseman Edwin Encarnacion are stationed on the side of the field where right-handed batters hit the ball the hardest.

The best thing that could happen to the Reds is that they somehow stay near the .500 mark at the July 31 trade deadline, giving Krivsky the excuse to make a couple trades to upgrade the pitching staff for a playoff run.

That playoff run won’t come this year, though.

http://www.limaohio.com/story.php?IDnum=24988

Caveat Emperor
04-25-2006, 02:58 PM
In fact, I swear I saw Adam Dunn, he of the two sacrifice flies this year, actually hit a grounder to the right side of the infield with a runner on second base and no outs.

That's the only place Adam Dunn is capable of hitting ground balls. It just happens to conveniently coincide with "smart baseball"

Now if he hit a ball to the left side of the infield -- ever -- that'd be something amazing.

I know it's blasphemey to say it (yadda yadda bat out of the hands of best hitter yadda yadda) but if they're going to put that goofy shift on him every play this year, he should really just drop a couple bunts down the 3rd base line and take his single. Quickest way to get a defense out of an 8-man front is to go over the top on them a few plays. Once the shift is off, it'll aid Dunn's hit totals.

Chip R
04-25-2006, 03:12 PM
I know it's blasphemey to say it (yadda yadda bat out of the hands of best hitter yadda yadda) but if they're going to put that goofy shift on him every play this year, he should really just drop a couple bunts down the 3rd base line and take his single. Quickest way to get a defense out of an 8-man front is to go over the top on them a few plays. Once the shift is off, it'll aid Dunn's hit totals.

If he does that they will put the shift on every time because they would much rather get a single from him than a home run or a double.

timmario66
04-25-2006, 03:12 PM
That's the only place Adam Dunn is capable of hitting ground balls. It just happens to conveniently coincide with "smart baseball"

Now if he hit a ball to the left side of the infield -- ever -- that'd be something amazing.

If Big Papi can do it, Dunn & Griffey can do it.

Ravenlord
04-25-2006, 05:06 PM
If Big Papi can do it, Dunn & Griffey can do it.
Griffey did it twice in one game last year to Vinny Castilla. he did once to the Rox thirdbasemen too. all of it in a span of a week or so. suddenly the third basemen stopped shifting against him creating a huge hole where the SS should have been.

Superdude
04-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Someone needs to send a letter to Grande and tell him Easy E sucks as a nickname. The Lizard is just awesome and it would be a shame to miss out on a nickname like that.