PDA

View Full Version : Merged: How long for Griffey? / Griffey's return on schedule

redsman344
04-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Hey guys sorry to ask a dumb question, but do any of you know when Junior's exact scheduled day back off the DL is? Also what do you think about the chances of him getting traded when he returns? Thanks for the help!

reds44
04-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Friday

KronoRed
04-25-2006, 02:44 AM
I don't think he'll be back that soon though

EKURed
04-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Hal McCoy said last night in the 2nd inning that he is ready to go right now.

OnBaseMachine
04-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Hal McCoy said last night in the 2nd inning that he is ready to go right now.

If Hal said that, then Griffey will probably be out until August.;)

indyred
04-25-2006, 08:55 AM
zero chance he gets traded when he returns..........he is going to have to prove he is healthy and stay that way for awhile.........I really don't see any teams having any interest in him anymore, especially with the money he is making.......

registerthis
04-25-2006, 09:22 AM
If Hal said that, then Griffey will probably be out until August.;)

...of 2007.

TeamBoone
04-25-2006, 02:32 PM
zero chance he gets traded when he returns..........he is going to have to prove he is healthy and stay that way for awhile.........I really don't see any teams having any interest in him anymore, especially with the money he is making.......

Jr will never be traded unless HE wants to be traded. It's in his contract.

redsmetz
04-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Jr will never be traded unless HE wants to be traded. It's in his contract.

It's not in his contract, but it's under the Basic Agreement. He's a 10 & 5 guy, ten years experience, 5 with the same club. He can't be traded without his approval.

flyer85
04-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Jr will never be traded unless HE wants to be traded. It's in his contract.It's not in his contract but he is a 10 and 5 player which gives him the right to veto any trade.

TeamBoone
04-25-2006, 02:58 PM
OK, sorry, I got the symantics wrong. The result is the same.

KronoRed
04-25-2006, 03:31 PM
He's ours till the end of the deal, time we accepted it.

OnBaseMachine
04-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Griffey's return on schedule
Reds notebook: Junior's rehab going well; he's ready to come off disabled list Friday
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

WASHINGTON - Ken Griffey Jr. passed his most extensive test since going on the disabled list.

He ran the bases at 90 to 100 percent Monday. The key was he had no ill effects from the workout Tuesday.

That put him on schedule to come off the disabled list Friday - the first day that he's eligible.

"It's going good," trainer Mark Mann said. "(Tuesday) was more of a recovery day. But it was important to see how he felt.

"He said he was fine."

Griffey slightly hyper-extended his right knee running in the outfield at Wrigley Field on April 12.

He was day-to-day for five days. He even was on deck to pinch-hit twice.

But when the soreness kept returning, the Reds had medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek exam him.

Griffey was diagnosed with a strained tendon in the knee. He was place on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 13.

Reds manager Jerry Narron said Griffey will get built-in rest days when he returns.

"He's not going to like it," Narron said. "He wants to play every day."

PATIENCE PLEASE: Adam Dunn entered Tuesday's game on a 2-for-22 skid.

Hitting coach Chris Chambliss' cure is patience. That may sound odd given that Dunn went into Tuesday second in the National League with 21 walks.

"He's doing what I call jumping at the ball. Not literally jumping, but not letting the ball get to him," Chambliss said.

Despite the walks, Chambliss would like to see Dunn be more patient.

"It's not like him to swing at bad pitches," Chambliss said. "But he is. We're working on it. We'll get him back on track."

Dunn will play his way out of the slump. He's the only Red to have started every game. His off day will be Thursday when the team is off.

"He's got a chance to hit a home run every time he goes to the plate," Narron said.

Dunn went into Tuesday without a homer since April 17. The seven-game drought was his longest of the year.

Narron said he would have considered sitting Dunn if a left-hander were pitching today. But former Reds right-hander Ramon Ortiz is scheduled to pitch. Ortiz has a tendency to give up home runs - thus Dunn likely will be in there.

EASY DOES IT: Elizardo Ramirez, Monday's winning pitcher, was the first Red to record his first big-league win and his first big-league hit in the same game since Jeff Austin did it May 1, 2003.

Two other pitchers have done it this year: Brian Bannister of the New York Mets (April 11) and Sean Marshall of the Chicago Cubs (April 14).

STRONG BULLPEN: The Reds' bullpen hasn't been very good this year overall. The 5.34 ERA through Monday explains that.

But when the Reds get a start like they the one they received Monday from Ramirez - seven innings of two-run baseball - the relievers they use have done well.

Entering Tuesday, closer David Weathers had a 3.12 ERA and had converted five of six saves (83 percent). That's about Danny Graves' conversion rate in his good years.

The chief setup men have been good as well. Todd Coffey had a 0.90 ERA over 10 games. Kent Mercker is still dealing with a sore lat muscle. But before the injury, he had a 2.70 ERA. It's up to 4.15 now.

The Reds, in fact, entered Tuesday 9-1 when they got a quality start (six innings, three or fewer earned runs).

"When we get that, we've got a chance to win every night," Narron said.

Because of the success, Narron is in no hurry to move Coffey into the closer role.

"Sometimes you use your best pitcher in the seventh or eighth," Narron said. "Sometimes those are the biggest outs of the game."

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060426/SPT04/604260382/1071

BigDonkey44
04-26-2006, 10:25 AM
I think he'll start friday

geniusMoment
04-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Against Roy Oswalt, welcome back Griff. Claussen-Oswalt, I don't like the Reds chances in that one. And it will be a rough return for Griff, I'm thinking something along the lines of 0 for 4 with a couple of k's.

Berkman is probably already setting his sights on the black batters eye. If in this series the reds throw both Claussen and the lizard while facing Oswalt and Pettite, they are in for a rough awakening.

registerthis
04-26-2006, 11:43 AM
If in this series the reds throw both Claussen and the lizard while facing Oswalt and Pettite, they are in for a rough awakening.

Because, really, they should be using all those other good pitchers they have, right?

KySteveH
04-27-2006, 12:14 AM
It's not in his contract, but it's under the Basic Agreement. He's a 10 & 5 guy, ten years experience, 5 with the same club. He can't be traded without his approval.
Actually, I think he has a limited no-trade in his contract, as he was not a 10-and-5 when he first signed. Either way, the CBA 10-and-5 rule makes it moot, like you said

alexad
04-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Actually, I think he has a limited no-trade in his contract, as he was not a 10-and-5 when he first signed. Either way, the CBA 10-and-5 rule makes it moot, like you said

Griffey is a 10 -5 for this reason. 10 years of service in the Bigs and 5 years with the same team. That is how he got his rights to avoid a trade. I like this rule.

I believe he had a partial no trade clause in his contract. There were a list of teams he can not be traded to. I am not sure what they are. I might have to look up the newspaper that I saved when he signed. It was in line with the same deal he has with Seattle. HE had a list of 4 or 6 teams he could be traded to. The Reds were one of those teams.

I think Griffey had the 10-5 going for him in Seattle when the Reds traded for him.

Reds Freak
04-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Haven't seen this anywhere yet, but is Griffey coming back today or not?

RedLegSuperStar
04-28-2006, 08:45 AM
I read yesterday where he ran the bases at nearly 100% and should return today. Who goes down if that happens?

RedLegSuperStar
04-28-2006, 08:47 AM
McCrackin or Ross?

I mean honestly can you have 2 Ross's on one team at one time?

CaiGuy
04-28-2006, 08:49 AM
McCrackin
Qinton gets my vote

RedLegSuperStar
04-28-2006, 08:51 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060426/SPT04/604260382/1071

RedLegSuperStar
04-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Another article from todays enquirer:

GRIFFEY UPDATE: Narron wouldn't go so far as to say he expected Ken Griffey Jr. back Friday.

"I don't know," he said. "I hope so. I'm going to try to see him (today). We're looking forward to having him back. Everyone misses him."

Griffey is eligible to come off the disabled list Friday.

cumberlandreds
04-28-2006, 08:57 AM
McCrackin or Ross?

I mean honestly can you have 2 Ross's on one team at one time?

I will be surprised if either is dropped. they just picked up Ross and McCracken is good PH and can play a few positions if needed. I'm thinking a relief pitcher is gone,Hammond or White. Of course a mysterious injury may occur to someone and they get DL'd.

RedLegSuperStar
04-28-2006, 09:11 AM
I will be surprised if either is dropped. they just picked up Ross and McCracken is good PH and can play a few positions if needed. I'm thinking a relief pitcher is gone,Hammond or White. Of course a mysterious injury may occur to someone and they get DL'd.

Well the injury would have to come between now and game time... I doubt the Reds will drop a pitcher to add a player.. especially when the bullpen has been so rocky. Another words 11 Pitchers and 14 Players? Doubt that.

Nugget
04-28-2006, 09:48 AM
I would think that it would not be Ross considering he was only just traded. Could be McCracken although you think they would have already tested the waters when they brought in Ross knowing that Womack was going to be gone. Could be the old DL move again. Wasn't Hammond injured or something. It still won't solve the problem unless there is a trade in the works.

biggergipper
04-28-2006, 11:00 AM
I am really hoping it's Rick White a.k.a "Brad Kullman's Secret Cousin"

CRedsLarkin11
04-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Cbssportsline's fantasy updates worded their update on Griffey as if he would be in center tonight, guess we'll have to see

willie3
04-28-2006, 02:02 PM
No Griffey tonight apparently.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

flyer85
04-28-2006, 02:13 PM
I do consider it humorous because the speculation amongst the meida was he would be out there tonight and the Reds have been completely tight lipped about this sent he went on the DL.

If a "little tightness" behind the knee hasn't gone away in over 2 weeks, then when will it go away? My guess is not anytime soon.

Newman4
04-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Perhaps working on a roster move or trade?

TeamBoone
04-28-2006, 02:21 PM
From Hal, for what that's worth:

The Reds are 10-5 in the NL Central. In preparation, the Reds were 6-1 on a trip to Milwaukee (3-1) and Washington (3-0).

And they did it without Ken Griffey Jr., who comes off the disabled list and returns to the lineup tonight.

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2006/04/28/HJN042806reds_tc.html

flyer85
04-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Perhaps working on a roster move or trade?not worth screwing around with a return of Jr if he is ready to play, especiaaly on the eve of a big series. No way possibly losing QM is worth that.

flyer85
04-28-2006, 02:22 PM
From Hal, for what that's worth:

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2006/04/28/HJN042806reds_tc.html
Every was on the bandwagon reporting Jr's Friday return.

Somebody has some splainin to do.

edabbs44
04-28-2006, 02:53 PM
From Marc:

No Junior today

Word from the Reds is that Ken Griffey Jr. will not be activated from the disabled list today. Go figure. Further details to come on that when I get to the park in a couple of hours.

WMR
04-28-2006, 03:03 PM
WOW, I'm SOOOO surprised. Whether just an honest mistake or not, just another instance in the long line of Junior misinformation.

Such BS> Tell us the truth, whatever it is.

Gallen5862
04-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Have the Reds considered giving Junior a rehab start or Two? I think he should get some playing time to get his swing back. This also gives the team a chance to work on the roster spot.

GridironGrace
04-28-2006, 04:44 PM
I think he Comes up Monday, just My Opinion lol.

He'll at the latest come back RIGHT b4 the next road trip.

NastyBoy
04-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Have the Reds considered giving Junior a rehab start or Two? I think he should get some playing time to get his swing back. This also gives the team a chance to work on the roster spot.

Griffey would never agree to "rehab start or two". He doesnt get paid to big bucks to play for Dayton or Louisville.

TOBTTReds
05-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Last I heard, Monday was the day of his return. Any updates?

flyer85
05-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Last I heard, Monday was the day of his return. Any updates?... but did they say which Monday?

smith288
05-01-2006, 01:37 PM
The next monday before last

registerthis
05-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Last I heard, Monday was the day of his return. Any updates?

I'd be shocked.

They're either biding time trying to figure out what to do with the roster (highly unlikely) or Junior's injury is much more serious than was let on originally and he's going to be out for awhile longer (far more probable.)

redsfan30
05-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm not buying the "he's worse than they say he is" point. This new regime seems pretty straight forward and I don't think they would hide something like that from the fans. I just think given his history, Junior isn't going to take any chances whatsoever and frankly he shouldn't, especially now. They are playing some great ball right now and honestly they don't miss his presence in the lineup.

Given those reasons, it'd be stupid for him to rush back.

registerthis
05-01-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm not buying the "he's worse than they say he is" point. This new regime seems pretty straight forward and I don't think they would hide something like that from the fans.

Why would it be stupid? Makes sense to me.

if you have a guy whose presenc ein the lineup can change the way the other team plays you, wouldn't it be to your advantage to keep them guessing as to whether or not that player will be in the lineup, even when you know that he won't?

Saying that the franchise isn't be upfront about Junior's injury situation isn't necessarily a condemnation of the current regime, just a statement of likely facts. Remember, when Junior first injured himself we were told that it was "barely worth talking about" and that he'd be back any day. three weeks and a trip to the DL later, and there's still no indication of his return. Clearly, this injury is worse than they ever let on--they would just rather the public (and opposing teams) not know the extent of it. And that isin't necessarily a bad thing.

TOBTTReds
05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
They're either biding time trying to figure out what to do with the roster (highly unlikely) or Junior's injury is much more serious than was let on originally and he's going to be out for awhile longer (far more probable.)

Maybe he is not used to fielding ground balls yet at 1st? :pray:

redsfan30
05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
My guess is it's not going to happen today due to rain in the forecast.

vaticanplum
05-01-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm not buying the "he's worse than they say he is" point. This new regime seems pretty straight forward and I don't think they would hide something like that from the fans.

If they're thinking of shopping him, they probably want to get a feel for what they can get in return and don't want other TEAMS to know if he's seriously injured, not yet.

flyer85
05-01-2006, 02:47 PM
SInce he's day to day this thread just ought to be a sticky until tomorrow comes.

kaldaniels
05-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Anyone else concerned about what will happen when Griffey comes back...which at this point seems like it could be if Griffey comes back. ;) As everyone knows, Freel probably won't be playing everyday....which is a negative. However...I am worried about Griffey's obvious lack of hustle that he displays often. Right now I watch this team and it seems every player is not giving up any at-bats, running to first base hard, trying to stretch out singles into doubles, etc. I'm just worrried Griffey may disrupt the flow we have going right now. I like Griffey don't get me wrong at all, but his style of play just doesn't seem to go with the style that we are winning games right now...going all out. Anyone else concerned...or will his presence give Dunn,Kearns,EE more pitches to hit, and that will really kick things into high gear. Thoughts???

Jr's Boy
05-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Griffey is still one of the most feared hitters in the game,and his presence in the lineup makes the Reds even more lethal.

griffeyfreak4
05-03-2006, 08:00 PM
^ agreed

GridironGrace
05-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Yea.... it appears we CAN win without him for now. However down the road that could be something harder to achieve without him in the lineup.

Im starting to lean towards Jr being gone is the reason Freel and Lopez havent walked and got on base AS MUCH lately. I havent pin pointed that to ONLY Jr being out of the lineup but im starting to think maybe they are seeing more strikes without JR batting 3rd behind them, kinda like, if they get on base so what..

Time will tell.

Jr's Boy
05-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Nice anology Grid.

naynay
05-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Grid, that's right on the money. Jr. is the ultimate protection.

As for his lack of hustle, I know you're not talking about center field. Look at Jim Edmonds, as if Jr's D needs comparison. Edmonds is a guy that doesn't run the fastest, but gets excellent starts on balls, not to mention his ability to highway-rob homers. With Jr. in center....you just worry about cheering and he'll do the rest.

Not even going to start on his plate presence.

kaldaniels
05-03-2006, 10:19 PM
^ agreed

Not suprised to see the dissenters are Jrsboy and Griffeyfreak. Well I guess I'm wrong.

maniem
05-03-2006, 10:39 PM
It looks as though that Aurillia has pulled a groin in tonight's game. If he is placed on the dl, that might clear the way for Dunn to shift to first and let Freel play in left. Aurillia was playing well, but him possilbly going to the dl might be a blessing in disguise...

Krusty
05-04-2006, 08:18 AM
For a guy who really didn't want to go on the DL because he didn't think he was that far away from returning, you have to wonder why it is taking so long in his recovery? You think Junior might be dogging it alittle?

GAC
05-04-2006, 08:25 AM
I'll take Jr in that lineup overwhelmingly over any of his current subs. ;)

When he is in there, he produces.

BuckWoody
05-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Just saw this on Lance's blog:

1) Reds as a team with Griffey averaged 7.29 runs per game this year. Without Jr, they have averaged 5.1, a drop of 2.19 runs per game (and this includes 11 and 12 run games w/o Junior). Last 8 games, 4.11 runs per game.

2) Averages of Freel, Lopez, Dunn (regulars at the top of the order most affected by Griffey's presence in the lineup) with and w/o Jr in the lineup:

Freel: .438 with Jr, .219 since
Lopez: .324 with Jr, .221 since
Dunn: .370 with Jr, .212 since
Looks like a strong argument for getting Jr. back in there as soon as possible.

It looks as though that Aurillia has pulled a groin in tonight's game. If he is placed on the dl, that might clear the way for Dunn to shift to first and let Freel play in left. Aurillia was playing well, but him possilbly going to the dl might be a blessing in disguise...
Excellent point!

TeamBoone
05-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Bad weather keeps Griffey off the field
By Hal McCoy / Staff Writer

DENVER | Ken Griffey Jr.'s injury odyssey continues and he isn't with the Cincinnati Reds in Denver for a two-games series, perhaps a weather-related decision.

Asked if the weather was an extenuating circumstance for Griffey's extended absence, manager Jerry Narron said, "Yes, it was. We saw the forecast and Griffey did, too."

Narron said it continues to be Griffey's call as to when his right knee will enable him to play, "Because he knows his body better than we do."

There is an interesting theory floating about.

With Griffey in the lineup, the Reds are 5-3. Since he hurt his knee, the team is 14-5. Perhaps because the team is doing so well, Griffey doesn't want to come back and disrupt what is happening, that maybe he'll wait until the team cools off and needs him.

It would be within Griffey's personality and his team-first philosophy.

"I don't think that's the case and I certainly hope it isn't," said Narron. "He is a pretty good player, you know."

Could the Reds see him in Phoenix, where most games are played under roof?

"All I know is that he did some running this morning (Wednesday) in Cincinnati," said Narron.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0504redsnotesweb.html

flyer85
05-04-2006, 02:38 PM
gosh and I thought it was his knee.
no, it was the back of the hammy,
wait, it's the tendon.

As it turns out it's just a weather problem.

KronoRed
05-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Time for a bionic body

RedRoser
05-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Time for a bionic body

. . . or a trade. ;)

Blarkin
05-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Let the rain keep coming then. We are winning with out him. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Strikes Out Looking
05-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Waiting for perfect playing conditions is just plain stupid. If he can't play, have him retire and get the insurance on his contract.

If he can play, activate him and play him. This odyssey to getting Jr. back in the lineup is the nuttiest thing I've seen in a long time. While I'm no Bonds fan, he is at least playing when he can barely walk. It's time to fish or cut bait.

reds44
05-04-2006, 05:01 PM
No Griffey this weekend

DENVER -- Word is, Ken Griffey Jr. still is not ready to go and will not be joining the team in Phoenix tomorrow.

The earliest he likely would be activated is Tuesday, when the Reds start a homestand against the Nationals.
-Marc's blog

BRM
05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm shocked by this news. :rolleyes:

VR
05-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Well at least he'll be back in time for the next homestand, let's run out and buy tickets! Hooray!

edabbs44
05-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Starting to get ridiculous...you'd think they were guarding nuclear secrets at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if the next headline is "Griffey Has Routine Knee Surgery".

membengal
05-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Tune in Tuesday for the next in the continuing never-ending saga of Reds' excuses when it comes to Jr.'s knee and his "return"...

KronoRed
05-04-2006, 05:56 PM
We're gonna hear this before each series for awhile.

Dunner44
05-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Please, front office, just be up front about his injury status. At least they are telling us ahead of time, but just say: His knee is crapped out, and it will be a month.

Chip R
05-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Obviously it is too cold for him in Denver and too hot in Phoenix. ;)

wolfboy
05-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Obviously it is too cold for him in Denver and too hot in Phoenix. ;)

But the third bowl of porridge was......eh nevermind.

kbrake
05-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Ok I was thinking serious injury. Now I am leaning more towards Krivsky working on a trade and Griffey being in no hurry to get back with the team playing so well.

Mario-Rijo
05-04-2006, 06:47 PM
I am starting to wonder if there is even more to it than an injury or a trade. Perhaps Jr. (and his family perhaps) are dealing with something we don't know about. That coupled with a minor injury could mean time away without an explanation. It just smells of something other than what is supposed to be so I am going out on the limb with this one.

Or it could be just what it is and the Reds just figured what the heck, no need to rush "The Franchise" we are doing fine. I might also point out that he could use the time off anyway because of the time he spent at the WBC, we don't need him playing more than 162 games. As if that would ever happen.

Fullboat
05-04-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm thinking he has a MCL tear which would cause swelling at the knee.

toledodan
05-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Starting to get ridiculous...you'd think they were guarding nuclear secrets at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if the next headline is "Griffey Has Routine Knee Surgery".

couldn't agree more. while the team is playing well we need to get him back ASAP to get a full idea where we stand as a team. freel, lopez and phillips are all starting to stugle at the plate. we need to get griffey back so the team isn't stretched to thin with freel playing everyday.

indyred
05-05-2006, 12:06 AM
yep........any chance he just says it's over......is his contract insured......could this go down like bagwell

TeamBoone
05-05-2006, 01:06 AM
05/04/2006 9:30 PM ET

Notes: Griffey's knee injury still an issue
Outfielder's return remains a question mark
By Tony DeMarco / Special to MLB.com

DENVER -- They're saying it's not really any worse. But it certainly isn't getting any better, either.

Still feeling the discomfort of a strained tendon in the back of his right knee, Ken Griffey Jr. underwent an examination by Dr. Timothy Kremchek, including an MRI on Thursday.

"It was for peace of mind," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "He went out and ran, and still felt it a little. There still is some fluid on the tendon. He feels it when he runs, especially when he rounds a base."

Griffey hasn't played since suffering the latest in a debilitating and frustrating string of injuries on April 12 in Chicago. It came at a time when he was off to a good start, hitting .258 with two homers and seven RBIs in eight games and 31 at-bats. He is eligible to come off the disabled list, but won't be doing so in the near future.

The possibility of joining the team in Arizona beginning Friday has been eliminated, as he will stay back in Cincinnati and continue his rehab over the weekend. The Reds will play three games in Arizona before returning home for a Monday off-day.

"It's strained enough that he still feels it three weeks later," manager Jerry Narron said.

Since Griffey's injury, Ryan Freel started 19 of 20 games in center field before being replaced by Chris Denorfia on Thursday night. Narron said he was giving Freel a night off, and wanted Denorfia to get some playing time, especially considering Denorfia will be sticking around awhile, as Griffey remains on the disabled list.

The extended every-day duty hasn't proved beneficial for Freel, who in those 19 starts has hit only .216 with two stolen bases -- none since April 17.

Aurilia out: Remember that glut of middle infielders on the Reds' roster a few weeks ago? Well, that's no longer an issue.

Rich Aurilia was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Thursday due to a strained left groin. With Freel playing center field nearly every day in Griffey's absence and Tony Womack released last week, the call went to Triple-A Louisville infielder Rey Olmedo to replace Aurilia on the roster.

Aurilia suffered the injury trying to beat out a ground ball down the third-base line that Rockies third baseman Garrett Atkins bobbled in the sixth inning on Wednesday. With an immediate need for a backup infielder, the Reds felt they couldn't wait to see if Aurilia healed quickly enough to avoid a DL stay.

Aurilia has made 11 starts at first base (mostly against left-handed pitching), and also started four times at third base, and one apiece at second base and shortstop.

"I understand the situation," Aurilia said. "I'm the backup everything in the infield. They need somebody who can come in on a double switch. I don't want to do anything detrimental, to where we lose a game because we're caught short a player. Who wants to be hurt, on the disabled list, not playing? But I'd rather get it taken care of now. I plan to be back in 15 days."

With the Reds scheduled to face seven consecutive right-handed pitchers including Thursday's game, left-handed-hitting Scott Hatteberg figures to be in the lineup every day.

"I hope my old body holds up," Hatteberg said. "We've picked up the slack with Griffey out, hopefully we can do the same thing for Richie."

Narron said Adam Dunn and Javier Valentin also could get some limited time at first base, but probably just in double-switch situations, and that Olmedo will be used off the bench.

Olmedo, a 24-year-old switch-hitter, was hitting .339 with three RBIs in 17 games at Triple-A Louisville. He got the news late Wednesday night, caught a flight on Thursday morning out of Louisville and arrived in Denver before noon, but his equipment bag never made it. No gloves, no bats, no spikes -- nothing.

"I called the [Louisville] clubhouse in the morning before I left, but nobody was there," Olmedo said. "[The equipment bag] probably will meet me in Arizona. But I'll never miss that flight [to get back to the Majors]. That is the chance everybody is looking for."

Olmedo hit .221 with one homer and four RBIs in 77 at-bats spread over 54 games with the Reds in 2005, and is a .234 hitter in 308 big-league at-bats -- all with the Reds from 2003-2005.

Fast company: Entering Thursday's game, Felipe Lopez has been successful on his first 10 stolen-base attempts -- the most in club history at the start of the season since Deion Sanders swiped 11 in a row in 1997. The club record is Gary Redus' 15-for-15 in 1984.

Both Lopez and Freel get the green light from Narron.

"[Lopez] does a great job of judging when to go," Narron said. "[Freel] has the capability to steal 50; I don't know if [Lopez] does. I'd rather have him steal 15 bases [for the season] and get thrown out only once, than try to steal 30 and get thrown out 15 times."

Coming up: The Reds escape the cold and rain of Denver for the heat of Phoenix, where Elizardo Ramirez will try to follow up on two successful starts since his recall from Triple-A Louisville by facing the Diamondbacks' ace Brandon Webb in a 9:40 p.m. ET start at Chase Field.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060504&content_id=1437821&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

KronoRed
05-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Wow.

NastyBoy
05-05-2006, 01:23 AM
I guess could be called a lingering injury.

Cedric
05-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Olmedo is gonna do what he did last year in Arizona. I remember that one well.

M2
05-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Maybe it's just me, but if my $12.5M player with a history of leg injuries came up lame during a game, the FIRST thing I'd do is give him an MRI. I certainly wouldn't wait a month.

Cedric
05-05-2006, 02:06 AM
I thought they did and nothing was wrong. Maybe it was swelled and hiding something. Hell I wouldn't know, I'm not a doc.

Sabo Fan
05-05-2006, 02:25 AM
I thought I heard Marty or John Fay say during the second inning that this was Griffey's second MRI and that it showed improvement in comparison to the first. Could have misinterpreted that though or heard it wrong.

harangatang
05-05-2006, 02:53 AM
DougDirt was telling the truth

membengal
05-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Wait, you can take MRI's of knee injuries?

membengal
05-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Reds44, here is your list of edits for this thread title as time passes:

No Griffey this...

month
half-season
season
decade

cumberlandreds
05-05-2006, 06:53 AM
At this point if Griffey comes back at all this season and helps any I'll be happy. I think his legs have just about had it. This is what would have happened to Bonds at this age if not for the juice.

Wheelhouse
05-05-2006, 08:02 AM
When Griffey's knee was injured there was a vigorous statement from the Reds (I can't remember who) that his injury was UNRELATED to his hamstring surgery...I for one breathed a sigh of relief. Then I read this:

Notebook: Griffey's return delayed again
Center fielder won't be activated until road trip over
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

DENVER - Tuesday.

At the soonest.

Ken Griffey Jr. will not be activated from the disabled list until the Reds return from their road trip and open a series against the Washington Nationals Tuesday at Great American Ball Park.

Griffey underwent another MRI on his right knee Wednesday.

"We did it more for peace of mind than anything," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "It showed there's still fluid around the tendon. He still feels it when he turns the corner, rounding first."

The Reds held out hope that Griffey would join the club in Phoenix, where they open a three-game series with the Arizona Diamondbacks today.

Griffey has been out since April 12, when he hyper-extended his knee while shagging balls in the outfield at Wrigley Field.

He first was listed as day-to-day. He was even on deck to pinch hit twice after the injury.

But he later was diagnosed with a strained tendon in his right knee.

The injury is near where he had surgery to re-attach his right hamstring.

This worries me 1) because the injury may be worse than was thought and 2) the people calling the shots don't have the whole picture and 3) we're not getting that "open communication with the fans" Castellini promised. That being said, first place feels very nice Bob, thank you very much.

RedsMan3203
05-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Well, most people should know this...

If they are talking about a tendon in the knee/back of the knee its some how attacted to the hammy.

JR will return soon.

SandyD
05-05-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm really not sure that we're entitled to open communication about player's medical conditions. And I'm willing to allow them some time to see the whole picture. I actually want them to take whatever time they need to do that. Otherwise, they could be rushing him back before he's ready.

I feel really badly for Junior having to go through this now. Can't be easy.

GAC
05-05-2006, 08:49 AM
And with a Jr in that batting order.... it can only help Dunn even more. ;)

cincy09
05-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Griffey's coming back?

flyer85
05-05-2006, 08:59 AM
reported on the radio this morning that Jr has fluid on the knee and an MRI was done. Also reported that an Angry Guy was told shortly after the injury happened that it was more serious than the Reds were letting on and that Jr may have a partially torn ligament in the knee.

Falls City Beer
05-05-2006, 09:12 AM
reported on the radio this morning that Jr has fluid on the knee and an MRI will be done. Also reported that an Angry Guy was told shortly after the injury happened the injury was more serious than the Reds were letting on and that Jr may have a partially torn ligament in the knee.

You hear that?

That's the sound of the Reds continuing to milk every ticket sale it can from Griffey. Some things never change.

flyer85
05-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I heard today that Jr might have a partial ligament tear which would be a reason for fluid in the knee.

edabbs44
05-05-2006, 10:22 AM
I heard today that Jr might have a partial ligament tear which would be a reason for fluid in the knee.

Phenomenal. Why the secrecy? Aurilia pulls his groin and is placed on the DL immediately. Griffey has tightness in his knee and it's been clouded in secrecy for weeks. I don't understand what the legitimacy of this could be. It's not like Arizona has to rework it's gameplan since Griffey isn't in the lineup. Or did he already have surgery and they are going to play this game until he is healthy? Obviously kidding, but nothing would shock me at this point.

membengal
05-05-2006, 10:23 AM

You would think they would have noticed that by now. Dr. Nick from the Simpsons reading MRIs down by the Riverfront again?

membengal
05-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Any chance one of the mods might want to combine some of these Griffey threads? IMO we have reached the point in this where one update thread may be enough...

membengal
05-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Same question as my other thread bump...can these be combined?

ochre
05-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Any chance one of the mods might want to combine some of these Griffey threads? IMO we have reached the point in this where one update thread may be enough...
There. Good luck deciphering the disparate conversations!

:)

membengal
05-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Phenomenal. Why the secrecy? Aurilia pulls his groin and is placed on the DL immediately. Griffey has tightness in his knee and it's been clouded in secrecy for weeks. I don't understand what the legitimacy of this could be. It's not like Arizona has to rework it's gameplan since Griffey isn't in the lineup. Or did he already have surgery and they are going to play this game until he is healthy? Obviously kidding, but nothing would shock me at this point.

Thanks Ochre, a little disjointed, but all pointing to the same thing...looks like he won't be back for quite awhile. Life goes on. The team will too.

edabbs44
05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Historically they play better w/o him. Not sure why, but it seems like they come together more and don't wait for Junior to hit the 3 run dinger. Maybe the Reds realize this and want to keep him healthy until trade time.

TeamBoone
05-05-2006, 11:41 AM
You hear that?

That's the sound of the Reds continuing to milk every ticket sale it can from Griffey. Some things never change.

The fluid on the knee was reported earlier in the week. I fail to see what this has to do with ticket sales.

And I don't believe a thing the Angry Guys say.

TeamBoone
05-05-2006, 11:43 AM

I originally started the thread of Jr's MRI instead of putting it here, because I wanted people to see it. I had given up reading this thread a while ago and thought others might have too.

membengal
05-05-2006, 11:47 AM
At the time I asked, there were something like 5 Jr. threads...just one of those things were people all seemed to be talking past each other on the same topic...

Jpup
05-05-2006, 12:40 PM
I feel really badly for Junior having to go through this now. Can't be easy.

yeah, it must be tough making all that money. :evil:

TeamBoone
05-05-2006, 04:21 PM
yeah, it must be tough making all that money. :evil:

Money aside, one's health is way more important.

WMR
05-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Jeez, let's hope he didn't exacerbate things by running on that freakin' treadmill the day after it happened!!! What kind of medical staff lets a player with Griff's history run around on a treadmill when they don't even know for sure what's wrong with him?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Aronchis
05-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Ah, how about this conspiracy: The Reds KNEW Griffey's injury was worse than they were telling him but kept having him "work it out" to see if he would worsen it. Maybe like a strained/pulled tendon which then turns into a torn tendon because of the extra exercise. Thus possibly forcing Griffey to hang them up, causing 2 things:
1)Getting Griffey out of CF which every zoner considered a key part of rebuilding and
2)Getting some of his contract back

While this is very far fetched, could Krivsky not be beyond the gile to so such a thing?:mooner:

flyer85
05-05-2006, 04:43 PM
The funny thing is every Jr injury had turned out like this. The severity is downplayed. Either the medical staff is incompetent or the Reds for their own reasons downplayed the injury.

One this is clear is that while Jr could help the team they don't need to him win which didn't use to be the case. I think it was Carroll at BP who stated that even if Jr comes back and is "healthy" he should always be considered day-to-day.

Any future plans the Reds make must not count on Jr as an everyday player because his health is so fragile. He should become a corner OF and a 5 day a week player even when "healthy". At this point I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see him back until sometime in June, maybe by then we will actually find out what his injury really was.

TeamBoone
05-05-2006, 06:49 PM
All your deep and dark conspiracy theories are just that.

Jr pulled something in the back of his knee; it didn't get worse, it didn't get better. If the medical staff (or WK) did ANYTHING to make the injury worse, they would be in deep doo doo, and I doubt anyone would put their career on the line over such a thing... especially a doctor who is making big big bucks.

Red Taylor
05-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Money aside, one's health is way more important.

Ditto. Get well soon, Junior. I enjoy watching the Reds more when you're in the lineup.

larryboy
05-06-2006, 08:16 PM
The pattern of the injury being more severe than originally thought could be a knock of the training staff or some pr machine but I think its more likely JR himself. Not in a negative way, He was well known in Seattle for having a very high pain tolerance. Could the problem be him not letting on or just not feeling how bad it is initially and only after they look under the hood and test results is it realized. Could it just be hard to tell with him a serious versus a minor injury.

And yes get well soon.

TeamBoone
05-06-2006, 08:25 PM
The pattern of the injury being more severe than originally thought could be a knock of the training staff or some pr machine but I think its more likely JR himself.

I honestly don't think severity is the issue.

I don't think it's that the injury is more severe than originally thought, it's that it isn't getting better.

You may be right about the pain tolerance; I wasn't aware of that.