PDA

View Full Version : Rank GM Wayne Krivsky' Performance

Krusty
04-25-2006, 10:47 AM
So, how has the new GM done so far in your eyes.

smith288
04-25-2006, 10:49 AM
This screams of an active poll Krusty

Edit: and there is the poll. :)

cumberlandreds
04-25-2006, 11:21 AM
He has done more things right in three months than DanO did in two years! He's building a good foundation while correcting DanO's horrid mistakes. That's a very good GM in the making! I am very encouraged to say the least.

M2
04-25-2006, 11:21 AM
I gave him an A because in two month he's signed Dunn to a team-friendly contract, made a significant OF-for-pitcher deal, cleared out a a ton chaft from the organization, overhauled much of the front office and shown a willingness to go after using every tool at his disposal.

IMO, it's been an extremely encouraging start. Obviously he's got a ton of work in front of him, but for the short time he's had the job I think it would be hard to ask more from him.

Red Leader
04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I gave him an A because in two month he's signed Dunn to a team-friendly contract, made a significant OF-for-pitcher deal, cleared out a a ton chaft from the organization, overhauled much of the front office and shown a willingness to go after using every tool at his disposal.

IMO, it's been an extremely encouraging start. Obviously he's got a ton of work in front of him, but for the short time he's had the job I think it would be hard to ask more from him.

I'd also give him an 'A' so far, but in order for him to stay there at the end of this season, he's going to have to somehow acquire another decent pitcher, and have a good amateur draft.

rdiersin
04-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I gave option C, but mainly because I wasn't sure what category to put. The first word that came to me when I read the title is promising. With that said, I think I will have to reserve judgement. He has done some good things, like M2 mentioned with signing Dunn to a good contract. I also love the flexibility he has created on this roster. I know a lot of people don't like the Hatteberg signing and for good reasons, but the flexibily for future moves that he created with this roster has been very interesting to watch.

Gallen5862
04-25-2006, 11:47 AM
I voted A. That the team is realizing it should have hired him earlier. He is improving the team incrementaly as opportunities are presented to him.

beechparty2
04-25-2006, 11:48 AM
I think it's a bit too soon to rank his performance. I would parallel it to rating a free agent signing after the first series of the season. Am I happy, that Mr. Krivsky has opened his GM season "hot," absolutely, however, baseball executives are measured not in months or even seasons but rather their performance must be exptrapolated to 3 and 4 year intervals. That said I am bolstered in my enthusiasm by the qualitative trends seen so far!

M2
04-25-2006, 11:50 AM
I'd also give him an 'A' so far, but in order for him to stay there at the end of this season, he's going to have to somehow acquire another decent pitcher, and have a good amateur draft.

Agreed.

redsmetz
04-25-2006, 12:04 PM
I gave option C, but mainly because I wasn't sure what category to put. The first word that came to me when I read the title is promising. With that said, I think I will have to reserve judgement. He has done some good things, like M2 mentioned with signing Dunn to a good contract. I also love the flexibility he has created on this roster. I know a lot of people don't like the Hatteberg signing and for good reasons, but the flexibily for future moves that he created with this roster has been very interesting to watch.

I voted A, but thought about C. I very much like the direction he's going but am very interested in seeing what he does in the upcoming draft and also afterward with adding non-drafted free agents.

lollipopcurve
04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Work left to do on the pitching front, of course, but the acquisitions of an affordable Arroyo and Phillips are huge plusses. His leadership skills seem solid, too (something O'Brien didn't have). As M2 mentioned, he's done some nice housecleaning in a short time.

The draft is not Krivsky's responsibility in my book -- that falls on Buckley and the scouting department.

The next grade on Krivsky will come with the next offense-for-pitching deal.

M2
04-25-2006, 12:15 PM
The draft is not Krivsky's responsibility in my book -- that falls on Buckley and the scouting department.

I agree, though a strong draft would indicate he's put the right person in the right place.

lollipopcurve
04-25-2006, 12:35 PM
I agree, though a strong draft would indicate he's put the right person in the right place.

Yeah, I guess. But the draft is such a crapshoot that you have to figure that no SD will have a good one every year and even the laziest/least capable ones will stumble into some nice picks.

MartyFan
04-25-2006, 01:47 PM
What Special K and Mr. C have done in such a short time to the mess that has been known as the Cincinnati Reds is incredible...I'm even more excited to be a Reds fan now than I was before.

Falls City Beer
04-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Still waiting for the aria.

Jr's Boy
04-25-2006, 01:53 PM
I think it's a bit too soon to rank his performance. I would parallel it to rating a free agent signing after the first series of the season. Am I happy, that Mr. Krivsky has opened his GM season "hot," absolutely, however, baseball executives are measured not in months or even seasons but rather their performance must be exptrapolated to 3 and 4 year intervals. That said I am bolstered in my enthusiasm by the qualitative trends seen so far!

Is that you Dano?:confused:

Puffy
04-25-2006, 01:53 PM

Why are you waiting for the brown part that surrounds the nipple?

pedro
04-25-2006, 02:06 PM

Not me. This team's had enough opera.

I'm waiting for the man (who can pitch).

Roy Tucker
04-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Why are you waiting for the brown part that surrounds the nipple?
No, you've mistaken that for the aurilia.

ochre
04-25-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm not willing to judge him too quickly lest M2 come back and call me out for it a couple of years from now :).

In all honesty though, he seems to have done a decent job so far, but using O'Brien as a baseline is about a fallacious a comparison as I can fathom. I want to measure him against the truly exceptional GMs, and for that I need more data.

DoogMinAmo
04-25-2006, 02:27 PM
B. Color me skeptical. I am curious who the PTBNLs end up being, and am encouraged by the release/ possible trade of Womack.

He seems to master the little stuff very well, show me the something big we all know is bound to happen soon, and then we can talk.

Regarding the draft, while few can argue with the results of the Twins farm system, what has been the board's reaction to recent Twins' drafts, expecially in comparison with DanO's 2005.

Note: Isn't Reynolds, the master of said draft, still with the organization? Should we expect a much different draft under Buckley?

BoCcc2832
04-25-2006, 02:30 PM
At least Krivsky is trying to make the Reds better. He saw in Brandon Phillips which no one else saw and made the deal to bring him over here (probably because he knew Phillips could be better than Womack). He brought Arroyo over, which has been a godsend to our pitching staff. Plus, he isn't afraid to make moves to shape the team. Dan O'Brien couldn't say that about himself. Womack would still be starting while batting .200 and O'Brien would be in his fancy office and saying "He'll come around". No one can argue that Krivsky is doing much better than O'Brien.

Krusty
04-25-2006, 02:32 PM
At least Krivsky is trying to make the Reds better. He saw in Brandon Phillips which no one else saw and made the deal to bring him over here (probably because he knew Phillips could be better than Womack). He brought Arroyo over, which has been a godsend to our pitching staff. Plus, he isn't afraid to make moves to shape the team. Dan O'Brien couldn't say that about himself. Womack would still be starting while batting .200 and O'Brien would be in his fancy office and saying "He'll come around". No one can argue that Krivsky is doing much better than O'Brien.

After seeing Krivsky at work, you have to wonder what the heck Lindner saw in O'Brien to give him the job over Krivsky.

DoogMinAmo
04-25-2006, 02:34 PM
After seeing Krivsky at work, you have to wonder what the heck Lindner saw in O'Brien to give him the job over Krivsky.

Size matters, and OB had a much bigger binder.

Krusty
04-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Size matters, and OB had a much bigger binder.

A binder full of what?

IslandRed
04-25-2006, 02:39 PM
he seems to have done a decent job so far, but using O'Brien as a baseline is about a fallacious a comparison as I can fathom. I want to measure him against the truly exceptional GMs, and for that I need more data.

True that. There's still a lot of work to do, but it's an encouraging start. In particular, the Pena-for-Arroyo trade shows that he's not going to shy away from the tough calls. About the only real eyebrow-raiser so far was letting a couple of half-decent first basemen pass through waivers, but given the energy level he's shown so far, I'll chalk it up to an honest difference of opinion on those players' worth rather than being asleep at the switch.

Chip R
04-25-2006, 02:41 PM

All binder jokes aside, I am guessing that DanO's pedigree, experience at HOU, and, most importantly, his expressed fondness of the BRM were all important factors. He was also the polar opposite of JimBo.

Reds Nd2
04-25-2006, 03:00 PM
C.

I just think the good work he's done so far is nothing that any competent G.M. wouldn't have done. Trading an extra OF for pitching, signing Dunn long term, and DFA'ing Womack are all things that RedsZone has been saying needed to be done for awhile now. Krivsky realized this and O'Brien didn't. It rightfully cost Dano his job, but it doesn't earn Krivsky bonus points. Overall, I just feel it's to early to judge his performance.

princeton
04-25-2006, 03:11 PM
he's done most of the no-brainer stuff, but now it gets hard. I'm only impressed because the last guy was too scared to do even the no-brainers. This one shows courage.

the real headscratcher is the fact that there's NOTHING in the system, and not nearly enough in the bigs. So do you go for it, and pray for a closer/starter? or do you go on the l-o-n-g rebuild and pray that your job remains? or do you drive down the middle of a road that leads at best to mediocrity?

BoCcc2832
04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Reds Nd2 says that Krivsky signed Dunn long term...umm, no. "Cincinnati avoided arbitration with first baseman Adam Dunn by signing him to a two-year, $18.5 million contract with a $13 million club option for the 2008 season." Two years with an optional third year is not long term. One the other hand, it didn't take long for Krivsky to sign Dunn, which happened five days after Krivsky was brought on board. He knows what's important to the Reds team and fans.

RichRed
04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
A binder full of what?

Smaller binders?

I'm a big fan of what Krivsky has done so far (Arroyo, Phillips, Ross and bye-bye Womack) but it's early yet. There are many moves to come so we'll have to wait and see how they all play out.

But isn't it great to be excited and hopeful about what's to come, for a change, rather than dreading it?

membengal
04-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Hard to be even a little critical about what he has done so far, mostly because he has acted with decisiveness and what appears to be, by all accounts, an actual, ya know, PLAN.

He's a stockpiler, which I like. Get lots of pieces together and then spin them off for areas of shortage. Good approach. If there is one more pitcher to be found, I am guessing Kriv will make a play for him. That's much more than we were getting before, and by itself changes one's mood.

Oh, and stuff like him showing up without having to be invited to take questions from Marty during that rain delay back in week one of the season (he stayed for about 20 minutes) and answering all the tough questions? Just overjoyed that that kind of accountability (and lack of double speak) resides in the Cincinnati GM chair again. It has been awhile...

Caveat Emperor
04-25-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't have enough data to fully evaluate his performance yet.

How the grades break down so far, IMO:

Signed Scott Hatteberg (B-): Not a great move, but an inexpensive stopgap to give the platoon some teeth against RH pitching. Gave me something else to make fun of during game threads where he does nothing but stare at pitches with a disinterested look on his face.

Signed Adam Dunn to 3 Year Deal (A+): I'd have added the extra credit if he'd gotten the 4th or 5th year out of the deal, but it's fantastic to know that Adam Dunn will be a Cincinnati Red for the forseeable future.

Signed Quinten McCracken (C+): Bench fodder, but at least he didn't go and blow his knee out shoveling snow a week later.

Acquired Dave Ross for a PTBNL (C+): I don't get the "3 catchers" thing, and I don't think Ross brings anything to the table that team otherwise lacked. I reserve the right to raise this grade if a move is made -- which I anticipate -- on LaRue.

Traded Wily Modesto Pena for Bronson Arroyo (in progress - tentatively B+/A-): Fantastic looking trade thus far, but I'll wait to give it genius marks until I see how NL lineups do after getting a look at Arroyo firsthand. The second & third starts he makes against teams like St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Houston should be telling. I was never that high on Pena to begin with, so to get a solid #3 like Arroyo makes a good deal, even if his ERA spikes back to career norms.

Traded Pile O. Cash for Brandon Phillips (in progress, N/A): He's looked great thus far, but I seem to recall even Juan Castro sporting a guady .280+ batting average through May of 2004. Phillips is impressing at being an RBI man at the back of the lineup, clearing the bases for the end of the order. However, he's not shy about swinging...and it's what happens after he cools off that'll tell us a lot about who Krivsky traded for.

Traded PTBNL for Cody Ross and DFA'd Tony Womack (A+): He recognized Tony Womack was total dead weight and removed him from the team without hesitation. Plus points for understanding what Dan'O couldn't and convincing the owner to eat $1 million in salary this early in the season.

So that's where he stands -- but it's less than a month into the season. He has a ton more to do to prove to me he understands what it takes to be a truly successful general manager in this league. There are lots more deals to be made and lots more deals to be avoided. He's got to understand concepts like selling at peak value, which Dan O'Brien whiffed badly on and cost us big time with guys like D'Angelo Jimenez, Danny Graves, and Sean Casey -- all leaving with absolutely nothing in return after posting seasons in which they could've been sold off for decent to good return. He has to have a good draft this June, infusing the system with more talent. He's got to get the pitching development in the high/mid minors under control, as it seems like almost all players regress at the AA/AAA level. Then, once the season ends, he has to evaluate the successes and failures of the club and continue building it through intelligent free agent decisions.

Bring this thread back in 2007, and we'll see where we stand. Right now, you can't even say the jury is out, because the trial still hasn't finished.

Reds Nd2
04-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Reds Nd2 says that Krivsky signed Dunn long term...umm, no.

Two years with an optional third year is not long term.

Perhaps not as long as some would like, but Krivsky did obtain payroll certainty through Dunn's remaining arb eligible years and get a reasonable team option for his first year of free agency. The contract is long enough that the Reds control Dunn through what should be his peak age producing years, while not being too long that it hinders the club should Dunn begin experiancing injuries on a regular basis. In the world of baseball, three years could be an eternity, see Milton E. I guess we'll just have to disagree on whether or not 3 years is a long term deal.

Tommyjohn25
04-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Okay...who voted D? ;)

KronoRed
04-25-2006, 04:28 PM
I - Incomplete

Ask again when he's been on the job a year, but right now he's doing well.

KronoRed
04-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Okay...who voted D? ;)
Jimbo :devil:

toledodan
04-25-2006, 04:31 PM
we should do like they do in school and give grades each quarter of the season. i give him an A for the first grading period. for the small amount of time he's been here he has improved this team. of course things can change for the worse but its hard to argue the job he has done so far. it will be interesting to see what comes of our 3 catcher situation. i still think larue could be moved but they need to show that he's healthy.

NewEraReds
04-25-2006, 06:00 PM
just like i expected, great

NewEraReds
04-25-2006, 06:01 PM
we should do like they do in school and give grades each quarter of the season. i give him an A for the first grading period. for the small amount of time he's been here he has improved this team. of course things can change for the worse but its hard to argue the job he has done so far. it will be interesting to see what comes of our 3 catcher situation. i still think larue could be moved but they need to show that he's healthy.
you arent gonna knock every move out of the park, the key is to hit more out than not. :) so far he is way up on this one. i dont want him to have any bad moves, but all gm's will, the key is to limit them.

lollipopcurve
04-25-2006, 06:04 PM
i dont want him to have any bad moves, but all gm's will,

Amen.

danwl
04-25-2006, 06:40 PM
The key to this question is "so far." So far, the Reds look pretty darn good. I don't believe I'dve turned down winning 13 of the first 20 on opening day. Arroyo is pitching like a solid #2, Hatteburg is hitting, Phillips thinks he's Vlad Guerrero, Womack is in Louisville, Krivsky says most of the right things and says them plain (except the misdirection on Jr's injuries, but we're used to that). What's not to like so far? Too many catchers?

I agree that there is no way to accurately judge his performance with such a small sample size, but I sure like this position more than having to say "hey, I know that all his moves have blown up so far, but we have to give him a chance"

M2
04-25-2006, 06:50 PM
BTW, I should add that it's a pleasure to be able to give a Reds GM high marks for his performance. I remember past versions of this topic where I'd be debating between an F and D- for the grade I'd give and then the whole thread would turn into a debate over why it was unfair to give the pointless simp/golden boy who'd lost his touch a bad grade.

For the first time since the Denny Neagle for a boatload of bupkus trade we're seeing consistent competency from the Reds front office.

Superdude
04-25-2006, 07:56 PM
I'll go with A and C. I like what he's done so far, but I'd like to see him run a draft before I call him the greatest GM ever.

Benny-Distefano
04-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Well it goes without saying that he has done well.

I gave him an A though...

KYRedsFan
04-25-2006, 11:34 PM
He's done very well in the face of the joke left by DOB. Just getting out from that garbage job has been nice to see.