PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone feeling it? I am!

RedSchmo2
04-25-2006, 11:33 PM
I know, I schmo. It's just April, and the Reds have had some pretty good starts and played well into June in some few only to show up lame in the June swoon, July and August are miserable... you get the pic.

But something feels a bit different about this team to Schmo. (I am knocking on the desk as I type this). This team has the scrappiness that the '90 team had. When guys like Wily Mo and Luke Hudson with all their amazing tools are out and Freel, Mercker and Coffey are in with their determination and grit... I think this has the makings of a real team.

Arroyo will not stay on pace to win 20+, but we should see Wilson back after a bit. Harang has the look and stuff of a legitimit #2 guy, good enough for #1 on a team that scores like this. Now all we need is a young guy to come up and win 12 games or so... ala Jack Armstrong...

The division is up for grabs, and the Cards will not run and hide with the talent in Milwaukee, Houston and Cincy.

This team just has a feel of a winner. Lose a heartbreaker to the Cards... bounced back well. Guy on the bench whining about PT... see ya! Not a bunch of dancing at home plate wins, just solid offense, enough pitching and a couple young difference makers.

Go Reds!;)

Schmo OUT!

Aronchis
04-25-2006, 11:35 PM
I felt it in 2002 and 2004 also, then June came.................

kbrake
04-25-2006, 11:37 PM
I still have the feeling the higher we get the harder the fall will be come June/July.

The Baumer
04-25-2006, 11:42 PM
RedSchmo1 made a post similar to this one in 2002 and...well, you know what happened to him.

Mario-Rijo
04-26-2006, 12:01 AM
I do think we are improved! That said look at who we are playing, and when we are playing them. My take is and always will be you never find out who the contenders are until the pitching in the game comes around every year as a whole. I am encouraged a little bye the fact that we have won lately w/o Griffey & Dunn (for the most part), and the fact that we are winning games moreso with pitching & defense that ever in the past 5-6 years.

CougarQuest
04-26-2006, 12:05 AM
How about just ENJOYING what we've seen so far.

Especially since so many thought the Reds were going to be below the Pirates, out of it in the first month.

Does this mean we will be in the WS? No. But instead of looking for the doom and gloom just around the corner, enjoy what we're seeing for now ... see what Kriv will do next to help the team ... it's been pretty entertaining ... let's just take it one game at a time. Ya never know how well this might just end up.

And if it turns out that we end up below the Pirates, at least you would have been able to enjoy yourself for over a month instead of being unhappy the whole season.

Have the past 5-6 years jaded Reds fans that much that we can't even ejoy this while it last?

Caseyfan21
04-26-2006, 12:06 AM
I think we are much improved over the past couple years but I have a hard time believing they will compete much past Memorial Day.

Our starting rotation is one injury away from self destructing. It's rare that a team goes a whole year without at least a few injuries. I also can't see our bullpen being consistently good night in and night out.

Sorry to be a pessimist, but this team has forced me to be one. Every year I feel this way when the team gets off to a hot start only to have my hopes plummet in time with the team's plummet to the bottom of the division.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope we are competing into September.

Caseyfan21
04-26-2006, 12:08 AM
How about just ENJOYING what we've seen so far.

Especially since so many thought the Reds were going to be below the Pirates, out of it in the first month.

Does this mean we will be in the WS? No. But instead of looking for the doom and gloom just around the corner, enjoy what we're seeing for now ... see what Kriv will do next to help the team ... it's been pretty entertaining ... let's just take it one game at a time. Ya never know how well this might just end up.

And if it turns out that we end up below the Pirates, at least you would have been able to enjoy yourself for over a month instead of being unhappy the whole season.

Have the past 5-6 years jaded Reds fans that much that we can't even ejoy this while it last?

:thumbup:

Read this post and not mine.

Patrick Bateman
04-26-2006, 12:12 AM
I am encouraged a little bye the fact that we have won lately w/o Griffey & Dunn (for the most part), and the fact that we are winning games moreso with pitching & defense that ever in the past 5-6 years.

That's a good point.

When we won in 1999, we got good consistent offense from the 6-8 spots in the linup, like we are now. From Taubensee, Boone and Reese. With kearns, EE and Phillips now hitting better, we are getting lots of production throughout the linup even when Griffey and Dunn aren't doing it.

SeeinRed
04-26-2006, 12:21 AM
I agree that its too early to be optomistic, but the Reds as an organization definately took on a different attitude after the regime change. Many people in the organization have noticed the changes, including eternal pessimist Marty B. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, remember when the bengals started out winning a couple games not too long ago under Dick Lebeau. Everybody around Cincy thought the Bengals were finally going to win again, but in the end nothing had really changed and the losing attitude was there. Then Marvin Lewis came in and completely changed the way things were run, and has made them into what they are now. I think Bob Castelini is like Marvin in that he came in with a winning attitude and has a plan to get this ship turned around. Hiring Wayne Krivsky was a huge step in the right direction. You can talk about it all you want, but until you take action, nothing changes. Well, this club has completely changed the way it operates, and that will pay dividends on the field. Attitude is a huge part of it, and I believe often talked about, but still overlooked. The players not only want to win, for the first time in a long time, they believe they really will be given the opportunity to win. Its one of those things that you can't measure, and some claim doesn't exist, but the winning attitude is what will put this team over the top in the end. Maybe not this year, or even next, but definately down the road. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

NastyBoy
04-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Someone has been... :beerme:

flyer85
04-26-2006, 12:28 AM
This team is better than the 02 and 04 versions. That said at the very least this team needs another starter and 2 relievers.

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 12:29 AM
I'd be careful about feeling anything.

flyer85
04-26-2006, 12:33 AM
I'd be careful about feeling anything.That all depends on who you are with.:laugh:

Topcat
04-26-2006, 12:35 AM
85 wins to me would be a fantastic season, the phillips acquisition and arroyo have been positives. I count this as a season of promise unlike , the broken and hopeless false promises of the past.

Reds1
04-26-2006, 12:59 AM
The hot start gets me excited that the new owner and GM will go out and get that pitcher or do everything they can to get that RP. We'll see, but I'm having fun right now.

MasonBuzz3
04-26-2006, 01:09 AM
hopefully the city of cincinnati will start to "feel it" and start coming out to the ballpark in huge numbers. it would be nice for the reds to have big home crowds for this upcoming homestand.

WMR
04-26-2006, 01:49 AM
As long as around 1/3 of the big league staff is comprised of chaff (described politely), it's tough to do anything other than what Cougar described.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

creek14
04-26-2006, 08:13 AM
It's just gas.

remdog
04-26-2006, 08:54 AM
By Mario-Rijo:...and the fact that we are winning games moreso with pitching & defense that ever in the past 5-6 years."

What team have you been watching? The defense has been horrendous and the pitching has relied on a prayer to succeed. The Reds are wining, for now, because they have been able to bludgeon other teams to death. It's been fun to watch but I don't expect it to last for 162 games.

Rem

2001MUgrad
04-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I feel better about things than in recent years due to change in ownership alone. Not that the "new group" has done anything yet. But, from what I've heard about how positive the team was in ST about it. The treatment that Larue got when he went back to Cincy for the surgery. Just seems like a new change in attitude. Attitude could be very important. They are going to lose some games and probably string along 3 or 4 of them at some point. Its how they deal with the losing that will impact how good they finish.

So far the handling of the pitchers has worked out pretty good. I have questioned some things in my mind so far, but in the end they have worked out. With BoobBoone I would question moves he made or didn't make and 80% of the time I was correct in my assumption. Hasn't been the case with Narron this year, so thats another reason I feel better about things than the past few years.

BigDonkey44
04-26-2006, 09:36 AM
I think the closer we can get to 95 wins, well then I'll feel something like you're feeling. I just hope we jump out to a 50-32 start. Now that would make us for real.

BuckWoody
04-26-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm just enjoying the ride so far...it's been fun. The pessimist in me is screaming that it won't last past Memorial Day but I'm keeping him at bay with a garlic necklace and an unopened team set of the '99 team.

The next week will really be a telling one as far as seeing how the new regime operates. Most on here seem to be calling for Dunn to move to first to open up an everyday playing spot for Freel in left (I'm not holding my breath on the move of Jr. to left), myself included. If that happens, my optimism will spike. Couple that with a possible move involving our catching situation and I may just keep that pessimist quiet until the Fourth of July. :thumbup:

Tommyjohn25
04-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I'll be very interested to see what the front office does if we are still in contention by the all star break. My gut tells me that they will do the right thing.

cumberlandreds
04-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Between June 2 and July 4 will tell the tale of this team. I don't remember the order but the Reds have road series at Houston,St. Louis, New York and Cleveland. Plus home series with Cleveland and the White Sox. If we don't know before then if the Reds are for real, we will know then. Up to that point the schedule isn't too bad and they should have a good record. Now is the time to harvest as many wins as possible and hope for a .500 June.

westofyou
04-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I think the closer we can get to 95 wins, well then I'll feel something like you're feeling.

By then the bandwagon would be so loaded down it would be going about 5 miles an hour, getting on then should be a breeze.

nick311reds
04-26-2006, 12:57 PM
The pitching is better than we've seen it in years, but still no where near the staff that St. Louis or Houston has. One more legitimate starter and reliever and this team could compete with the best. There is no doubt as shown last year and this year that the Reds are one of the most dominating offensive teams in baseball. With the depth we have and the talent Krivsky has matched with the willingness to spend and win by Castelini this ball club has a chance this year, but unless we get another legitimate starter and some help in the bullpen along with maybe a shred of luck by the Lizard pitching the way he did in his first start we may surprise some people. If we don't its coming real soon, I've seen the rebuilding with my Brownies look the same way. The reds are on the rise, its no fluke. Let's all hope Krivsky and Castelini can get us some more good pitching along with the guys we already have stepping up and playing solid.

Here we go REDS!

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 03:47 PM
By then the bandwagon would be so loaded down it would be going about 5 miles an hour, getting on then should be a breeze.
We're gonna need new tires.

RedSchmo2
04-27-2006, 01:39 AM
RedSchmo1 made a post similar to this one in 2002 and...well, you know what happened to him.

Yeah, I know him. He got a new computer and email provider... and changed his name to RedSchmo2 and is still very much here and optimistic the Reds will again flourish.

Schmo out!