PDA

View Full Version : Bonds #710

WMR
04-25-2006, 10:44 PM
He appeared to--LITERALLY--barely make it around the basepaths...

Gammons says a DL stint is all but inevitable very soon.

BoydsOfSummer
04-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Boo!

KronoRed
04-25-2006, 10:46 PM

Heath
04-25-2006, 10:47 PM
While the demise of a player is cruel and unsportsman-like, I'm not sad the Bonds charade should be coming to a screetching halt.

Cyclone792
04-25-2006, 10:54 PM
He'll pass Ruth, but barring a miracle Aaron's record is safe. Barry just doesn't have the legs to play anymore. Honestly, if it wasn't for being this close to Ruth, I think Bonds would have already retired, but he wants Ruth's mark bad.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar03/s/2003/0716/1581348.html

"And if it does happen, the only number I care about is Babe Ruth's. Because as a left-handed hitter, I wiped him out. That's it. And in the baseball world, Babe Ruth's everything, right? I got his slugging percentage and I'll take his home runs and that's it. Don't talk about him no more."

Newman4
04-25-2006, 11:02 PM

http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar03/s/2003/0716/1581348.html[/QUOTE]

That quote pretty much sums it up why people don't like Barry, even without the Steroid discussion. He's sad.

Gallen5862
04-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Boo on the Homerun.

Larry Schuler
04-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Does this mean kids across the country will be saving their extra lunch money for an end-of-the-week Bary bar?

Big Klu
04-25-2006, 11:24 PM
"And if it does happen, the only number I care about is Babe Ruth's. Because as a left-handed hitter, I wiped him out. That's it. And in the baseball world, Babe Ruth's everything, right? I got his slugging percentage and I'll take his home runs and that's it. Don't talk about him no more."

Uhhh, Barry....career 2.28 ERA in 1221.1 IP. How ya gonna top that?

Newman4
04-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Does this mean kids across the country will be saving their extra lunch money for an end-of-the-week Bary bar?

Does that bar have some growth hormones or protein supplements?

Larry Schuler
04-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Does that bar have some growth hormones or protein supplements?

It is unknowingly loaded with human growth hormone.

Gainesville Red
04-25-2006, 11:47 PM
flax-seed oil

WMR
04-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Uhhh, Barry....career 2.28 ERA in 1221.1 IP. How ya gonna top that?

Would a Nobel for contributions to the field of chemistry suffice?

dman
04-26-2006, 06:27 AM
Time to start kicking in with the beanballs, intentional walks, amd the unintentional intentional walks.

Actually, all the pitchers should let him get to number 713 and just walk him the rest of the season. Don't even let him tie Babe Ruth.

OnBaseMachine
04-26-2006, 06:52 AM

Uhh, Barry, you can only dream of being as great as Babe Ruth was. You may top Ruth in slugging percentage and home runs but you did it with every known steroid ever made. Not to mention that ballparks are smaller these days. You are a cheat Barry, Ruth was legit.

Despite the steroids, the career statline of Babe Ruth still trumps that of Barry Bonds. Bonds is at .300/.443/.610 while Ruth is at a cool .342/.474/1164 plus as a pitcher he has 94 career wins and a skimpy 2.28 ERA. Please Barry, don't compare yourself to the Great Bambino. You were a special player - the Babe was better.

smith288
04-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Hows this for Barry... Ruth did it all in a drunken slothy stupor. Top that.

BigDonkey44
04-26-2006, 10:48 AM
He's just a down-right awful human being and person. That is a fact.

registerthis
04-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Say what you will, but if I were a manager I'd be pitching around him every single time he came up. Make him run around the basepaths, and don't give him any chances to hit one out.

I don't wish injuries on anyone, but if something were to cause Barry's premature retirement from the game, I'd have no problems with that.

smith288
04-26-2006, 10:51 AM
How about just bean him in the knee? He cant and wont rush the mound... just make sure your guys are armored up.... Purely a suggestion and not an endorsement to violence. :)

registerthis
04-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Hows this for Barry... Ruth did it all in a drunken slothy stupor. Top that.

...sometimes with a bimbo under each arm.

RedFanAlways1966
04-26-2006, 11:00 AM

And a hot dog in each hand!

If a caucasian player said these things while chasing Aaron, I wonder if B*A*R*R*Y would call him a racist??!?!? Go figure...

Roy Tucker
04-26-2006, 11:05 AM
He appeared to--LITERALLY--barely make it around the basepaths...

Gammons says a DL stint is all but inevitable very soon.
Bonds is the baseball version of Dorian Grey.

The moment he stopped taking HGH and whatever other chemical cocktail, the normal aging that happens to every other human being started. He is regressing back to the condition of a normal creaky and achey 41 yr. old.

redsfan30
04-26-2006, 11:08 AM

Barry, do us all a favor and go away.

Chip R
04-26-2006, 11:30 AM

Awful hard to swing that way. The bat, I mean.:evil:

klw
04-26-2006, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=Roy Tucker]Bonds is the baseball version of Dorian Grey.

[QUOTE]
But the pictures of him in his baseball card haven't aged.

WMR
04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Not to mention the Babe hit more home-runs than entire teams some seasons.

The entire baseball landscape concerning hitting was night and day compared to what Bonds has faced, his steroid use notwithstanding.

WMR
04-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Bonds just went deep again : #711

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Juice is kicking in :evil:

OnBaseMachine
04-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Probably back on HGH.:D

The thing is with Bonds, he's taken enough steroids in his career that he is still as strong as anyone in the game. Just because he is most likely off the juice doesn't mean that he will automatically lose all his strength and stop hitting home runs.

registerthis
04-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Just because he is most likely off the juice doesn't mean that he will automatically lose all his strength and stop hitting home runs.

Doesn't mean we can't hope.

OnBaseMachine
04-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Doesn't mean we can't hope.

I'm with you there. I'm the biggest Bonds hater in baseball. I wish pitchers would start drilling him in that bum knee everytime up and not even give him a chance to pass Ruth. I've never wished an injury on anyone in my life, but I have to say that I wouldn't be too disappointed if Bonds' knee broke down before he gets to 715.

redsfan30
04-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Probably back on HGH.:D

The thing is with Bonds, he's taken enough steroids in his career that he is still as strong as anyone in the game. Just because he is most likely off the juice doesn't mean that he will automatically lose all his strength and stop hitting home runs.
But it does mean that he isn't able to stay completely healthy like in years past, and we're seeing it. It's only a matter of time before he lands on the DL. He couldn't even round the bases on his homer yesterday.

OnBaseMachine
04-26-2006, 08:34 PM
But it does mean that he isn't able to stay completely healthy like in years past, and we're seeing it. It's only a matter of time before he lands on the DL. He couldn't even round the bases on his homer yesterday.

Absolutely. Now that Barry is off the 'roids he is starting to discover how a normal 41 year old body works. I agree with you on that; I wouldn't be surprised to see him land on the DL before long.

Buckaholic
04-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Leave it to Barry to make this a race issue. You know the only difference in Barry's eyes between Aaron and Ruth is the color of their skin.

I really would love to see Bonds somehow only make it to 713 and never hit another. Too bad that's unrealistic.

WMR
04-27-2006, 01:59 AM
And Barry's homerun is given Sportscenter's #1 Play of the Day (a game that the Giants lost, btw, which was NOT mentioned. Interesting how every other highlight contained a recap of what happened in the game except for Barry's highlight). Gotta hand it to ESPN for being masters of self-promotion (Bonds on Bonds).

BTW: Mr. Ryan Freel in at #8 for his warning track snag vs. Washington. :)

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 12:44 PM
05-11-2006

Ruth's kin keep their distance
They won't join any celebration
By Donna Tommelleo / Associated Press

HARTFORD, Conn. - Barry Bonds is one longball away from tying for second place on the all-time home run list. If and when No. 714 comes, some of Babe Ruth's relatives don't plan to share in the celebration.

"In my heart, it's hard for me," Ruth's granddaughter, Linda Tosetti, said from her home in Durham, Conn. "I like to do things in Babe's name. I just don't want his name mixed up in steroids."

Tosetti, 51, and her three sisters are Ruth's four surviving blood grand- children. Their mother, Dorothy Ruth Pirone, who died in 1989, was Ruth's only biological child.

Tosetti said the family has politely declined invitations from the San Francisco Giants to be on hand when Bonds finally draws even with her granddad.

"They're a great organization and I really wanted to help them out. I said, call me for anything else,"' Tosetti said. "I'm a pretty game gal. I've got a lot of my grandfather in me."

What she knows about the Babe she's had to learn from her older siblings, who delighted in the visits from the large, jovial man.

Ruth died in 1948, six years before Tosetti was born. Her grandmother, Juanita Jennings, never married Ruth and had their daughter when the slugger was married to his first wife, Helen.

Ruth and his wife adopted Dorothy, who didn't learn the identity of her biological mother until she was 59 years old. Dorothy Pirone authored the 1988 book "My Dad, the Babe." Ruth adopted another daughter, Julia, with his second wife, Claire.

The family has seen the Babe's record eclipsed before when the all-time home run king Hank Aaron passed him in 1974. They were fine with that.

"It didn't diminish the feat. My mother always said what a feat (Aaron) did. Records are made to be broken," Tosetti said.

It's the steroids allegations trailing Bonds that are disconcerting to Tosetti. She said drug use sends a disturbing message to youngsters. Her grandfather, she said, enjoyed being a role model for children, even though his hard-drinking, hard-living life is well documented.

"Look, he did his carousing. But liquor didn't touch his lips when he was with children. That's how his image is for the youth," Tosetti said. "I would hate myself a million times if I shook Mr. Bonds' hand if he did do it. These guys are making adult decisions about their body. It's the kids who think they're bulletproof coming up in high school who don't have that luxury."

Tosetti insists she has no malice toward Bonds, whom she's never met.

"I can't point a finger at Mr. Bonds. That's for people at a higher power to do," she said. "I'm sure he's a nice young man."
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/SPT0501/605110307/1027