PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who Plays Third In Late Innings?

RBA
04-26-2006, 10:18 AM
For a few games now, Edwin Encarncion has been pulled in the late inning and Rich Aurilia been put in his place. Does this make any sense defensively?

Thank you

Comments are welcome. ;)

Sorry for the typo; that last line should read: "Encarncion is better defensively than Rich Aurilia and he should stay put"

rdiersin
04-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Defensively, no I don't think it does, but last night I thought it made sense since the pitcher was due to lead off the next inning. Narron could have replaced Phillips with Aurillia, though.

RBA
04-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Sorry, I meant this to be in the Reds Live forum. But I'll just keep it here.

Hoosier Red
04-26-2006, 10:34 AM
While Rich's range is a legitimate concern, until Edwin can more consistently keep his throws down, he'll continue to get pulled.

In terms of total bases, Rich's range(or lack there of) only costs the Reds one base(not getting to a base hit in the hole.)
If EE airmails a throw, it costs the Reds 2 bases.

TeamBoone
04-26-2006, 12:04 PM
For a few games now, Edwin Encarncion has been pulled in the late inning and Rich Aurilia been put in his place. Does this make any sense defensively?

I don't know how many games this has happened but I do know that in at least two games this move was the result of a double switch, not hand-picking RA to replace EE late in the game merely for the sake of replacing him. Just luck of the draw (or lack thereof).

TOBTTReds
04-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Defensively, no I don't think it does, but last night I thought it made sense since the pitcher was due to lead off the next inning. Narron could have replaced Phillips with Aurillia, though.

I'm sorry, but I dread Aurilia up the middle. Anyway, what's wrong with Phillips' defense? He's a very good fielder.

Joseph
04-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I like Rich a lot more this season than I did last year, but he's not a late inning defensive replacement.

rdiersin
04-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry, but I dread Aurilia up the middle. Anyway, what's wrong with Phillips' defense? He's a very good fielder.

Nothing. Did I say there was? It wasn't a statement about Phillips defense at all, but rather that he was last person to bat in the inning (EE second to last), i.e. it wasn't a defensive replacement. I like Phillips defense a lot.

gonelong
04-26-2006, 01:04 PM
I think it's a stupid move for the long-run. EE needs to be out there late in the game, feel the pressure, and overcome it. To me that is something a person has to learn to some degree.

In the short-term I could probably argue either way, but I'd have EE out there.

GL

Ohioballplayer
04-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Phillips has great defense, but at that point in time of last nights game was he not 0 fer?

Why take EE's bat out of the lineup when Phillips could not get it going last night.

Game ended up too close last night to take your hottest bat out of the lineup, but I do see the defensive flip-side.

TOBTTReds
04-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Nothing. Did I say there was? It wasn't a statement about Phillips defense at all, but rather that he was last person to bat in the inning (EE second to last), i.e. it wasn't a defensive replacement. I like Phillips defense a lot.

My bad I was thinking you were saying replace Phillips with Rich for defensive purposes.

TOBTTReds
04-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Phillips has great defense, but at that point in time of last nights game was he not 0 fer?

Why take EE's bat out of the lineup when Phillips could not get it going last night.

Game ended up too close last night to take your hottest bat out of the lineup, but I do see the defensive flip-side.

He had a sac fly (I know that is still an "0 fer", but a good and productive AB), and then he had a single in the 9th i believe.

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 03:37 PM
You do defensive replacement on people who need it, Edwin does not.

GAC
04-27-2006, 07:08 AM

Phillips "D" at 2B far surpasses anything Aurilia could dish up.

GAC
04-27-2006, 07:13 AM
You do defensive replacement on people who need it, Edwin does not.

I think everyone readily agrees that EE should be at 3B 99.9% of the time, and endure the growing pains (bad decisions) that go with it (8 errors in April).

But I've watched him make some very bad throws this year (and in the later innings) because of that immaturity.

I see no problem, in the late innings of a close game, and depending on who is pitching/who is A/B, of a defensive replacement at times, while he continues to learn.

Chip R
04-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I see no problem, in the late innings of a close game, and depending on who is pitching/who is A/B, of a defensive replacement at times, while he continues to learn.

The problem I see is that if you replace him with someone like Aurilia, you lose range. Guy on 3rd, 2 outs, batter hits a ball to the left of the 3B. He's guarding the line. That ball may be in EE's range but it is definitely out of Aurilia's range. Ball goes through the run scores easily. Even if the 3B in question is guarding the line EE is more of an athletic player so he may have a better shot of getting a ball down the line and making the throw than Aurilia does. Now if you can guarantee me that the batter is going to hit it right at Aurilia every time without having him move much, then I'm all for it.

GAC
04-27-2006, 12:51 PM
The problem I see is that if you replace him with someone like Aurilia, you lose range. Guy on 3rd, 2 outs, batter hits a ball to the left of the 3B. He's guarding the line. That ball may be in EE's range but it is definitely out of Aurilia's range. Ball goes through the run scores easily. Even if the 3B in question is guarding the line EE is more of an athletic player so he may have a better shot of getting a ball down the line and making the throw than Aurilia does.

I don't know about the "making the throw" part right now with EE. He is showing alot of inconsistency at this stage, and due to bad decision making on his part (which is to be expected).

And a ball hit in the "hole" between 3rd and SS is gonna be difficult for most. And even then one must be able to make the quick decision of either going afte the batter or guy trying to score.

And I don't know of EE is at that point right now (from watching him).

But that doesn't mean that I think every time we are in a close game late that we should replace EE. The kids gotta learn sometime. ;)

KronoRed
04-27-2006, 05:22 PM
I'd rather EE get to the ball and the guy is on 1st then it go by Rich and the guy is on 2nd or 3rd.

IMO

WebScorpion
04-27-2006, 05:29 PM
I don't think EE is 'better' defensively than RA. I do think he's got better reactions, is more athletic, and has better range...what he needs is consistency. You only get that by repetition. Pulling him can only damage his confidence...let him know we're with him for the long haul and we're ready to ride out his growing pains. Leave him in there...eventually he WILL be better than RA. Now, if you need to double-switch him to move the pitchers slot in the lineup late in the game, RA is a fine substitute...just don't call it a defensive replacement. :)